• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone else still annoyed by the fact if the Gematsu leak is indeed true, that means Lucas would be cut?

Yet they kept "Toon" Link, Falco, and Wolf?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Is anyone else still annoyed by the fact if the Gematsu leak is indeed true, that means Lucas would be cut?

Didn't Sal mention DLC? they have a chance. But i doubt Lucas will get in over Falco. idk about Wolf.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Yeah, if the Gemetsu leak is true and Mewtwo also comes back, it looks like Sakurai really did pay attention to the fans. Just the Japanese fans.... although Little Mac seemed to be his way of throwing us a bone.

The only thing that really stands out would be the lack of Donkey Kong Country characters, as they are insanely popular everywhere.
Probably because they haven't given DKC much exposure in Smash Bros.

DKC is the most beloved of Donkey Kong game series. The biggest things they've gotten was Diddy Kong as a playable character, and Kongo Jungle/Jungle Japes as a stage (they're essentially the same, but different layouts). We at least got a couple of important songs in Brawl, not much else.

What with the 2 recent DKC game, however, and their top reception among players and critics, a lot of fans are expecting more this time round.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Funny they decide to reveal the new character after Evo just like they did with Pacman after the invitational. Shulk is definitely the safe bet here. Sadly being part of this community means I can't be surprised anymore by announcements, though it really doesn't matter tbh.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Actually, I just thought of something.

Anyone think there's a chance of a new veteran appearing in the trailer? Like Charizard in the Greninja reveal?
Revealed Falco alongside Krystal?! Why didn't I think of that. Excellent deduction.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am not entirely annoyed because even if the leak is true, it does not necessarily mean that Lucas is indeed "cut."

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I'm thinking this newcomer is maybe very recognizable or at least considerably so for Sakurai to announce its reveal 3 days before.
Either way I love that we have a fixed date for a character reveal. Hope it's like this for the remaining ones.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I hope it's not Ridley. But I do hope it's something like Bayonetta. Unpopular opinion, much.
I actually believe Bayonetta has several points in her favor. Platinum Games seem to be presenting her now only for Nintendo consoles, making her second party. After all, Bayonetta 2 is being published exclusively for Wii U, and when asked about continuing the franchise, they specified that they'd want to work with Nintendo. In addition, the Wonderful Ones will be trophies. That being said, she may be too mature for this crowd of pink, yellow, and red characters. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if this trailer was for her to build additional hype for Bayonetta 2.

Also, I find it interesting that you don't want Ridley in Smash. Most people just think that his size makes him improbable. Just curious as to why.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm thinking this newcomer is maybe very recognizable or at least considerably so for Sakurai to announce its reveal 3 days before.
Either way I love that we have a fixed date for a character reveal. Hope it's like this for the remaining ones.
I agree with this sentiment which is why; for the most part, I am not speculating in favor of Chorus Men or Shulk. Chrom is a possibility, but I do not necessarily feel as though he is a newcomer that warrants three days notice. I believe that we might be in for a surprise.

fill

20EggsEggs

im more annoyed that toon link doesnt have more Toon style moves, leaf, skull hammer etc

Morbi

Scavenger
im more annoyed that toon link doesnt have more Toon style moves, leaf, skull hammer etc
I highly doubt it, but it is always possible that he might have those items via move-set customization. It is a stretch, but I am not disregarding the notion until Sakurai confirms otherwise.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Falco has been around since Melee.

Toon Link and Wolf play a lot differently than Link and Fox.

Don't complain. Seriously, DLC is an option and none of those three had any effect on Lucas's inclusion.
Blame Ness.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I learned that recently and now, I'm hyped.

Question that everyone probably talked in those 9 pages, who is it?

Maybe ridley (but I just believe Sakurai will continue his secret tease), maybe Chrom or maybe King K Rool. However, what if it's not a popular choice? The sal leak suggest a rhythm heaven rep but I don't see when he could be announced which makes me believe it won't be until release.

So, I don't know but let's get hyped anyway!

(btw, that doesn't change my wish for Paper Mario even if I doubt he'll be there but you never know...)

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I actually believe Bayonetta has several points in her favor. Platinum Games seem to be presenting her now only for Nintendo consoles, making her second party. After all, Bayonetta 2 is being published exclusively for Wii U, and when asked about continuing the franchise, they specified that they'd want to work with Nintendo. In addition, the Wonderful Ones will be trophies. That being said, she may be too mature for this crowd of pink, yellow, and red characters. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if this trailer was for her to build additional hype for Bayonetta 2.

Also, I find it interesting that you don't want Ridley in Smash. Most people just think that his size makes him improbable. Just curious as to why.
Keeping in mind, the reason Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U was because no other company would greenlight them in the first place. Although Nintendo does seem to have high hopes for it.

I don't think she'll be made playable, though, because of Nintendo's family friendly representation and Bayonetta's mature, adult-targeted violent game. Hell, I don't even think she can attack in the game without a censor bar flashing over her since she attacks with her clothes/hair.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll admit, I don't care who is revealed, as long as there's salt.
Delicious, mouth-watering salt. I eagerly await when it's presence is graced upon us.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Actually, I just thought of something.

Anyone think there's a chance of a new veteran appearing in the trailer? Like Charizard in the Greninja reveal?
Who would even fit for Chrom, Shulk, or Chorus Men?
Like maybe Meta-Knight for the first 2 or Wario for Chorus Men I guess.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Realistically, my bet is on Shulk. Unrealistically, Ridley.

It would have to be a character that would be capable of generating large amounts of hype; seeing as how it's a stand alone release trailer which hasn't been done yet. Enough to warrant an early trailer. While Shulk is capable of that, I feel the likes of Ridley, Mewtwo, or K. Rool is certainly capable. Chrom and the Chorus Men...not do much.

This weekend and Monday is going to be torture.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't really think that a stand alone reveal really means too much at this point.

What I got out of it is Sakurai's running out of time and he needs to reveal the last starter newcomers.

fill

20EggsEggs
I highly doubt it, but it is always possible that he might have those items via move-set customization. It is a stretch, but I am not disregarding the notion until Sakurai confirms otherwise.
i was hoping the same for marios fludd to be switched but it ended up with different water strengths

so seems like most people think shulk is the one for monday, but if its not a gematsu, who does every think it may be?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Is good because I will be in a two day vacation, completely drunk in Tequila, so the wait will not be so hard, I have a question didn´t the Director of Xenoblade tweet about this recently? So it should be Shulk in monday.

.n_n.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Looks like it's gonna be Shulk. All signs point to it.

Makes me want to play more Xenoblade Chronicles. (Finally playing it for the first time)

At any rate, as cool as a character Shulk is, I'd really want Krystal, but we'll see.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Falco has been around since Melee.

Toon Link and Wolf play a lot differently than Link and Fox.

Don't complain. Seriously, DLC is an option and none of those three had any effect on Lucas's inclusion.
Blame Ness.
Melee inclusion=Guaranteed spot, well count me as a Roy supporter!, that can not be Falco's only possible defense
Wolf and (debatable) Toon Link do play differently than Link and Fox.Yes, that is true, but So does Lucas, he is very different than Ness. Why should he get the cut? Why cut one non-clone but keep the other non-clones when they could all be playable? If this is true I will (gasp!) start to doubt some of Sakurai's decisions....Don't get me wrong, I like those other characters and Sakurai, I just don't believe any of them including Lucas should be cut since there is no real reason too unless someone as Namco Bandai really hates Mother 3.
It makes no sense.
So, TL doesnt use boomerangs and arrows in his games?
He does, among many unique weapons exclusive to him.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Wow. This thread is unbelievable. First of all, the gematsu thing is a *rumor*, not a leak. Secondly, Ridley is clearly a stage hazard on pyrosphere. Some people...

Personally, I'd really like Krystal, but honestly, I doubt she'll even be in the game. I'm hoping she at least can replace Wolf, even though Wolf was my favorite of the Starfox reps in Brawl. K. Rool or Dixie would also be great.

My guess, though, is that it will be someone that noone here has guessed. I have no idea who, though.
The guy directly said mii fighter. Im pretty sure hes onto at least something.

fill

20EggsEggs
So, TL doesnt use boomerangs and arrows in his games?
smh, i understand but it was a missed opportunity to showcase the reason you have a regular and toon version. theres a whole bunch of items they could split between the two instead of using the same for both

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I just don't think his character makes sense in general to be a playable fighter. I think he has a much better purpose if he served like a stage boss, or something along the lines of SSE.

I don't want him to be too big to the point of OP, but I also don't want him to be small to ruin his character completely. If Ridley were a playable character, though, I would hope for him to be slightly bigger than Bowser.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
So it looks like it'll be Shulk's revelation on Monday. While I was certain he'd be in the game and I'm pleased with his inclusion, I feel like it was kinda spoiled for me. The Gematsu leak was fine, but it's the Xenosaga producer's retweet that bugs me. Oh well.

Personally, I'm more interested to see if a second character will be "hinted", perhaps as an unlockable fighter, like Mr. Game & Watch at the end of Pac-Man's reveal. Will it be a second Xenoblade character like Fiora? A veteran? Someone else entirely?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah, if the Gemetsu leak is true and Mewtwo also comes back, it looks like Sakurai really did pay attention to the fans. Just the Japanese fans.... although Little Mac seemed to be his way of throwing us a bone.

The only thing that really stands out would be the lack of Donkey Kong Country characters, as they are insanely popular everywhere.
I still think that our most likely scenario is:

Gematsu A: Monday
Gematsu B: August Direct
Gematsu C: September (either in a one off video or a Smash-centered Direct)

And like in every other Smash game, we'll get a few other newcomers that are secret. It goes hand in hand with the likelyhood that the original tipster is either in some marketing role, or is involved with the trailer making process (possibly cinematography).

Probably comprising Ridley, Dixie or K. Rool, Mewtwo (I know he's not a newcomer but I'll include him in this) and possibly Ghirahim. If the expected 4 are cut, that leaves us with 51, which fits what I've been thinking for some time now.

Last edited:

TheLightningGamer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-7316-4338
Shulk can see the future. As of this post, the unveiling of the new character will be happening in the future. The word "future" ends with the letter 'e'. The word "eye" ends with the letter 'e'. Eyes are used to see. Shulk sees the future with his eyes.

Shulk confirmed.
No, Shulk can see the future. The reveal is two days away. The second to last letter is R. You know what that means...

RIDLEY CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
No, Shulk can see the future. The reveal is two days away. The second to last letter is R. You know what that means...

RIDLEY CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridley, Half-Life 3, Mother 3, and Majora's Mask 3D will all be confirmed during Monday's trailer.

TheLightningGamer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-7316-4338
But in all seriousness, I think we'll be getting all three unconfirmed newcomers from the Gematsu leak, Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men. I mean you can't dedicate three minutes to one character, and Sakurai said that they're nearing the end of the newcomer videos to show. We might even get some veterans. Maybe Mewtwo, I don't know. Ridley, I can only hope.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738

Wait, what? I know Gematsu shared that thing about DLC characters and that Lucas was more likely to return than Ness, but how do you Falco and Wolf are returning? Did I miss a new wave of Gematsu leakage or are you speculating?

FYI, Wolf is not a clone of Fox, even less so than Luigi is to Mario or Lucas is to Ness. He shares no attacks with Fox, just somewhat similar special attacks.

Wait, why is everyone assuming it's Shulk?
The developer of Xenoblade/the creator of Shulk retweeted Sakurai's announcent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i was hoping the same for marios fludd to be switched but it ended up with different water strengths

so seems like most people think shulk is the one for monday, but if its not a gematsu, who does every think it may be?
if its not one of the three i want issac or matthew, super unrealistic is flynn from smt4

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wait, why is everyone assuming it's Shulk?
Because we already have two Fire Emblem starters and Chorus Men would make the 3-day pre-hype fall flat on its face. Shulk is the only one who can at least attempt to carry this kind of hype, and even then I think Gematsu has ruined his chance to hype people in such a manner.

The developer of Xenoblade/the creator of Shulk retweeted Sakurai's announcent.
Didn't the developer do that with a past Nintendo Direct too where nothing Xenoblade related was in? IIRC he/she is also a Smash fan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom