• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Well, even if she is an alternate skin for Marth, she is technically still a newcomer, as she is her own character and never was in smash before. I personally, would be really happy if they treated clones that way and nothing is impossible.
If she gets her own slot, I'll deal with it of course, but if they added the mechanic of alternate characters to smash, that would be really great in my opinion!

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
So whether or not gematsu is fake, or just slightly off the mark, an actual leaker or a good guess, All that really matters is that we're reassured his leak wouldn't be all we're getting right? So people can chill with the Psycho Christians vs Radical Atheists thing and we can all go back to being neutral.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We have never gotten an alt character skin, therefore, we have no idea how it would be handled.
If they are separate characters, why would they not have different pages (just as sheik and zelda) yet one slot on the select screen?

Maybe the word 'skin' is too much of a trigger word, so instead I suggest character alt, a la the stated Kuma/Panda or Roger/Alex from Tekken.

I'm not saying she is not considered a newcomer, but there is no evidence to state that pure clones who fight identically are not just character alts. In fact, we have reason to believe otherwise.
-character customization
-confirmed skins in addition to palette swaps
-no confirmed old clones (except Toon Link, who has remarkably different hit boxes)
-rather unkind treatment of Chrom (which, I admit likely rules him out, but still there are elements that are questionable if we look at him as an unlockable alt skin for Ike).

Even Chrom's reveal leads me to think he could be an alt skin for Ike, and that we have three FE character playstyles (Marth, Ike, Robin), and then Fan service in Lucina and Chrom being playable as alt characters with an identical final smash.

I'm not a Gematsu guy, in fact I was in huge protestation of it for long periods of time. Maybe I'm just a hipster at heart, but perhaps there is some credence to it. Perhaps all four swordsman (Lucina, Marth, Chrom, Ike) were in fact all planned to be in, and Gematsu made the reveal order a bit askew (swiching Ike to be revealed earlier to shock people, then Lucina now instead of Chrom-- I mean, if all four can be playable, in terms of game context it would make sense for Lucina to be unlocked).

I got into a bit of a rant there based on todays reveal- but the first half remains accurate. We have not seen alt characters handled in smash; the closest we have seen are multi-character fighters, which do have separate pages, and there is thusly no reason to think that alt characters would not then be labled newcomers. Sakurai always honors his characters.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
So, as Sakurai has just said over miiverse, Lucina is an alternate costume like female Robin, female trainer or villager versions, but she has two differences (sword sweetspot and tall), so she has her own slot.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So... my epic post about Lucina being an alt skin was then confirmed right after by the gods.
I really am starting to believe I am developing this game...

:4greninja:'d by Sakurai, best way possible

Last edited:

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
So... my epic post about Lucina being an alt skin was then confirmed right after by the gods.
I really am starting to believe I am developing this game...
Actually, the opposite. She is confirmed have her own slot, and is therefore a separate character.

Sakurai said:
With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Alright. Fair point. NOW I concede. NOW we have proof. Before, we did not.

#Humble #StillWaitingOnMiiverse

@ FancysaurusRex FancysaurusRex where is all this about "sword sweetspot and taller?"

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Miiverse confirmed she's a clone, she has actual gameplay differences. The analysis of her before not having a tipper gimmick was indeed correct.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hmm... I still state that the post Sakurai made seems to possibly imply there are non avatar characters who have character alts.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Do people seriously think Chrom could be an alternate skin for Ike? The size difference is so big.... Chrome is no bigger then Marth...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Do people seriously think Chrom could be an alternate skin for Ike? The size difference is so big.... Chrome is no bigger then Marth...
Technically he could have been. It's not as if Lucina and Marth are the same size.

They were already pushing the boat with Lucina. I should imagine that she was only added as an easy/cheap way of giving the fans the female sword weilder that they'd wanted. Chrom would have been completely redundant.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Lol.... you still don't realize how easy it is to fake an email without the email addresses... Like it would prove NOTHING if Sal posted a random email with blacked out email addresses, no matter what the content says....
It would be dated though.

MushroomKiller

Smash Cadet
Yes, I have no doubt that she'll be confirmed to be an alt in a few days. It shocks me that we're even having this discussion here, where everyone should be familiar with Marth and Roy's movesets and realize that everything we've seen is 100% Marth.
I like how you made yourself look like a real self-assured ass and a ****ing idiot to boot. Hopefully though this will teach you a lesson to never be too cocky or assured about your flimsy belief and jump to conclusions, when everyone else is giving evidence much more concrete than yours.

We are not saying she is a costume, we are saying she is an alt for Marth that share the same character select square.
And you're totally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom