• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Roy's idle animation was at least different, among other things.

Lucina literally has that in common with Marth. It's the exact same "hand on chest and eyes closed with head facing down" animation as Marth.
That doesn't confirm her as a skin. That also might partly be because she is practically a buffed up clone of marth in awakening as well. Even in the story, she emulates marth.
Roy has several attacks that are different from Marth, like his UpB, which is on fire, carries the opponent up, and hangs in the air longer. Double Edge Dance also has different attacks from Dancing Blade, and he can charge Flare Blade longer than Marth's Shield Breaker.

Lucina has none of this. Her Dolphin Slash and Dancing Blade are identical to Marth.
Again, we don't know the properties of Lucina's moves, she's not going to have fire or anything of the like come out of her sword because she has nothing like that in the game, and you're jumping to conclusions about a lot of her moves.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Today was exciting. Looking forward to what people give the Lucina/Robin satisfaction.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I am not sure if it was coincidence but the final match i played with my freinds came down to Marth vs Roy. Personally i love that Sakurai surprised us..every trailer has been a surprise for everyone.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the gematsu leak, I always assumed he was just a guy that got a early look on a design document or concept art so this doesn't change anything for my view on the leak. I always assumed he didn't know every newcomer and the fact that Chrom does appear in gameplay makes me feel that was just another oversight, just like him not knowing the name of the x/y pokemon. Of course the leak is dead now because a character was deconfirmed, but I never took this as a 100% leak and todays reveals didn't rule out my theory about the leak. I actually like the leak a bit more now because I now can just assume Marshal is the real newcomer and the chorus kids only appear in his FS, lol. I am curious how he's gonna respond to the bs he spread yesterday. If he's going to continue the bs while it's obvious he doesn't have recent info I might change my stance on this leak.

As for the reveal itself (the actual topic of this thread, lol). Good to see Robin revealed. I'm not usually a fan of characters with weird mechanics, but he (and she) looks cool so good reveal. Good to see our captain back as well, though no surprise there. I was always assuming they would show Lucina as an alt costume so to see her as a clone is a cool upgrade. I wonder if the difference between marth and lucina are like it was between marth and roy or if she really is just an elaborate alt, I guess the PotD's will clear that up soon enough. I actually approve of a few clones in fighting games so I can only be happy with this Lucina reveal, especially since she always was supposed to be some sort of marth clone. Happy with the reveals.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That doesn't confirm her as a skin. That also might partly be because she is practically a buffed up clone of marth in awakening as well. Even in the story, she emulates marth.

Again, we don't know the properties of Lucina's moves, she's not going to have fire or anything of the like come out of her sword because she has nothing like that in the game, and you're jumping to conclusions about a lot of her moves.
To me it does. If every animation is identical, as is every move, then why give her a slot? She's rigged the exact same.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
But we do know the properties of Nair, UpB and SideB, all are shown hitting in the video and all match Marth.

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
Wow, its like people want the roster to be cluttered with clones who are literally identical to other characters in every single way instead of making them alts

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I think that is possible. Lucina should be Melee Marth
That's a bit too ridiculous to be real. A newcomer addition to the roster, is just an older version of a veteran? Lucina should be Lucina, or an alternate costume, or not in the game at all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
But Nintendo didn't make Tekken 6, so this is completely different.

Also on the mobile site it shows that Lucina is a newcomer, she is her own character.
Actually, it shows her as a character, it explicitly does NOT list her as a newcomer, which says quite a lot.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The important part is "with minor modifications". Lucina's specials are all completely identical.
And you know this how? We got to see her use one of the possible paths of dancing blade, dolphin slash, the charging faze of her shield breaker through a screenshot, and the use of but not the hit of her counter. All we know is that they are visually near identical, but the damage, hitboxes, and knockback could be quite different.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's the picture on the main page that doesn't show it, though if you're on the mobile version of the site it does.
*checks on phone*

Interesting....
on the home console computer she has a small icon and is not listed as a newcomer
on the portable she is in fact listed as a newcomer...

Therefore, on the Wii U she is a unique character
and on the 3DS she is an alt
SOLVED

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
It's the picture on the main page that doesn't show it, though if you're on the mobile version of the site it does.
the whole point of the larger box is to show artwork though, Both she and robin are the focal points of the artwork on robins why would they post it twice if its gonna be the same?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Upside: Lucina!
Downside: Literally a gender swap of Marth in this game (although I suspected this was going to be the case for a long time)
Upside: Robin! A small fanbase beat the odds!
Downside: Chrom's a final smash. A huge fanbase suffered the most devastating disconfirmation yet.
Upside: Captain Falcon!
Downside: *personal gripe* Still waiting on :popo::ness2::wario:
Upside: Most Fire Emblem fans were appeased in some way!
Downside: Some could argue that Lucina and Chrom fans got royally screwed over.
Upside: We now have evidence that the Gematsu leak isn't 100% conclusive and there will be more newcomers!
Downside: People think this excuses them to treat Sal like crap...
Upside: Fantastic trailer
Downside: Waiting for the final release is going to be even harder now.

projectmcool2

Smash Rookie
I really hope Rayman's going to be a playable character, either on the disk or as DLC. It seems weird to me that Ubi Soft would go through all the trouble of doing up such a nice model only for it to be a mere trophy.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
And you know this how? We got to see her use one of the possible paths of dancing blade, dolphin slash, the charging faze of her shield breaker through a screenshot, and the use of but not the hit of her counter. All we know is that they are visually near identical, but the damage, hitboxes, and knockback could be quite different.
Hitboxes and knockback of Nair, Dancing Blade, and Dolphin Slash appear identical. Roy's Blazer, for example, has very different knockback from Marth's Dolphin Slash, if you saw it hit someone the difference is apparent instantly.

It seems to me that people are just really, really grasping at straws to suggest she might not be an alt. Everything we've seen so far is identical to Marth. Yes, there's stuff we haven't seen yet, but why would you assume that she's got lots of new stuff and they just happened not to show it? The far simpler explanation is that she's a skin, just like Female Robin for Robin.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
You're right. That's... really weird. Maybe it's just an error on the main site they haven't fixed yet?

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
Was I the only one who blurted out unintelligible words as soon as Lucina was revealed and then for the rest of the trailer was in complete shock? I seriously had to watch the video three times to understand everything that was happening.

Booster

Smash Lord
Upside: Lucina!
Downside: Literally a gender swap of Marth in this game (although I suspected this was going to be the case for a long time)
Upside: Robin! A small fanbase beat the odds!
Downside: Chrom's a final smash. A huge fanbase suffered the most devastating disconfirmation yet.
Upside: Captain Falcon!
Downside: *personal gripe* Still waiting on :popo::ness2::wario:
Upside: Most Fire Emblem fans were appeased in some way!
Downside: Some could argue that Lucina and Chrom fans got royally screwed over.
Upside: We now have evidence that the Gematsu leak isn't 100% conclusive and there will be more newcomers!
Downside: People think this excuses them to treat Sal like crap...
Upside: Fantastic trailer
Downside: Waiting for the final release is going to be even harder now.
Add to the downsides that Xenoblade fans got royally screwed as well

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman

The site said a new fighter will be revealed, only one. HOWEVER, we got 2, technically. While Robin is definitely a new and unique fighter, the same can't be said for Lucina....

What does this mean about Lucina's fate?!! Were we Sakurai'd again?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Thank you for saving the community Lucina and Robin. So excited for them both in Sm4sh

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The site said a new fighter will be revealed, only one. HOWEVER, we got 2, technically. While Robin is definitely a new and unique fighter, the same can't be said for Lucina....
Another interesting piece of evidence to suggest Lucina is just a skin.

Khao

Smash Lord
It seems to me that people are just really, really grasping at straws to suggest she might not be an alt.
Dude, really? There's no reason to think she's just an alt, nothing is pointing towards that, that's just speculation. How is looking at the series history grasping at straws? There's been close to identical clones before, but there's never been alts that change the characters into a completely different one and Sakurai himself once said that he didn't really like taking away from a characters identity when doing costumes.

I honestly see no reason to think she's an alt at all, I didn't even think of it until some people started throwing around the idea as if it was already confirmed.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Add to the downsides that Xenoblade fans got royally screwed as well
I'm still confident in both Shulk and Chorusmen/Marshall but it's clear now that the Gematsu leak was faulty and inconclusive but not totally BTFO like some people are suggesting. Honestly, this just breaths new life into character speculation and we're finally over the hurdle of them constantly devolving into whether the Gematsu leak is 100% true or not.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm of the opinion that Lucina is a skin...
but if that's the case, I really, really hope that you can play as masked Lucina.

As a very long-term Isaac supporter, I kind of see Robin as the nail in his coffin (I may be wrong, but having 2 sword + magic users after never having one seems... unlikely). But honestly? I'm hyped as anything from Robin, so I'm not even disheartened.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm still confident in both Shulk and Chorusmen/Marshall but it's clear now that the Gematsu leak was faulty and inconclusive but not totally BTFO like some people are suggesting. Honestly, this just breaths new life into character speculation and we're finally over the hurdle of them constantly devolving into whether the Gematsu leak is 100% true or not.
This isn't even about the Gematsu lead anymore, Sakurai is a fan of Xenoblade, Shulk got a HUGE petition for his game to come to America so it's not like he's obscure and the Monolith Soft retweet

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Dude, really? There's no reason to think she's just an alt
- All of the moves shown match Marth
- Idle animation also matches Marth
- Move speed and jump height seem to match Marth too
- Announced on the same day as another female skin for a male character

I wouldn't call that "no reason". The only reason anyone can come up with that she might not be a skin is that she has her own page on the website, but as noted even the website is inconsistent about whether she's new or not.

and the fact she is listed as a newcomer in 3 different spots says nothing to her being her own characters. your bias is showing
Two spots - her character page and the mobile page. She's listed as not a newcomer on the third spot, which is the normal version of the page. This really just seems to suggest the website is not all that reliable.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm of the opinion that Lucina is a skin...
but if that's the case, I really, really hope that you can play as masked Lucina.

As a very long-term Isaac supporter, I kind of see Robin as the nail in his coffin (I may be wrong, but having 2 sword + magic users after never having one seems... unlikely). But honestly? I'm hyped as anything from Robin, so I'm not even disheartened.
well there is a model with her where she has her mask, whether its a taunt of not remains to be seen

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
and the fact she is listed as a newcomer in 3 different spots says nothing to her being her own characters. your bias is showing
Sakurai also only announced "A new fighter" not 2, YOUR bias is also showing.

EDIT: It can go either way honestly, or something else entirely.

Last edited:

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
Uh, that was literally the surprise. Had they said "two" that would have ruined it.

You're meant to come into the trailer thinking the one would be Chrom, then Lucina.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
My entire case against the Gematsu leak was that every character on the list (excluding the first 3 and "Chorus Men") were INCREDIBLY likely characters.

The counter point to this is that I'm now still expecting Shulk. So Shulk supporters, don't lose heart yet. (Especially true with how Monolith has been tweeting about directs, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom