• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Captain Falcon's voice acting is still terrible XD
Every other character's voice sounds so clear,
When he shouts "FALCON!" in the trailer, you can hear what I mean.
Although I guess that it is an intended effect, to make it sound more echoey and dramatic.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Best post I've seen about the leak so far. As for Dark Pit? I don't really think he'll be a newcomer since he was shown already in Palutena's trailer. That just wouldn't seem right, you know? You never know with Sakurai though.
Right. Same type of thing with Mr. Game & Watch. Why was he in Pac-Man's trailer but not revealed as a veteran? Why was Captain Falcon in Lucina/Robin's trailer but was? Sakurai is a strange, unpredictable man.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Hey man, how confident are you in Lucina being somewhat different than marth gameplay-wise? That she's not just a skin?
Fairly confident? We've seen a ton of skins, and none of them were given this kind of attention or were explicitly called a newcomer on the site. She sure looked faster than Marth to me as well, especially faster than the slow version of Marth who was in that demo. It's not like her being shown in the video forces Sakurai to give her a page either; my old friend Mr. Game & Watch is still waiting on his page. A picture of the day focusing on Lucina will almost definitely come this week to make this crystal clear either way, but I would be legitimately very surprised if she were just a fancy Marth skin who got this huge amount of attention.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Weeeeeeelp, at this point, I don't know what to think! Today started with Rayman being a trophy, then I took a nap, and Robin and Lucina are in the game and Chrom is a final smash summon? I'm really happy for Robin and Lucina fans, but man, seems like such a disservice to Chrom to make him only a final smash summon, doesn't it? I know people have stated before that he's just another "boring swordsman," but other than Robin, he's the main character for Awakening. Just seems odd to me, I dunno.

As for Gematsu, I also don't know what to think there. I agree with the leaker when he said:

I still think Shulk is in, but I also feel like that trailer was specifically poking at the Gematsu leak with Chrom at the end.

In the end, there's NO WAY the leaker had a string of lucky guesses. None. He got 8 out of 11 characters right, and some were obscure or questionable. And Shulk is still possible, but Chrom being deconfirmed does put a lot of stuff into question.

Maybe Sakurai was trying to find the leaker, so he told a few employees Shulk would be confirmed, knowing full well he'd show off Lucina/Robin, just so he could see where the information was getting out at. At this point, I fear for our leaker's job, but it's been pretty evident for a while now that he's not super close to the development team as his information tends to be outdated or only updated directly before an event.

The whole thing is mindblowing though. In the end, I apologize to anyone I may have made mad by defending the leak, but I still stand by the fact that it's mostly right, and you can't guess everything the leaker did. He knew some stuff and obviously had an in at the company somehow, but also wasn't close enough to be 100% accurate all the time and has finally gotten something wrong. I got my Pac-Man though, so in the end I don't care either way. ;D

Also, Dark Pit? Ugh... probably gonna happen now. I was hoping we'd keep clone characters to a minimum this time around, and I guess Toon Link, Lucina, and Dark Pit would only be, what? 3 out of 35? 10%? Not terrible, but still I would have preferred all that time and effort on Mii customization to go to making characters more unique. That's just me though.
Good argument, my thoughts exactly. Dark Pit tho is not a full clone, he is a clone in all sense of the word canonically, but has potential to be a very diverse fighter. Lucina on the other hand *sigh I like her as a character, but I saw it very lazy on their behalf because she is Marth for 1/4 of Awakening. She uses the same fighting style as him and has his same color scheme/wardrobe. Chrom on the other hand is more of a speedy powerhouse. He had way more potential for a moveset than Lucina. And the way he worded that at the end was a real jab at fans of Chrom, it bothered me honestly.

Why would Tekken have anything to do with Smash Bros? And that is not going to be the case, Lucina is going to have her own slot on the Roster. Her page says newcomer and she has the newcomer rectangle on the mobile site. She's a seperate character.
Namco is helping to make the game, they also made Tekken. Could have suggested it to Sakurai so no character slots are wasted. I certainly hope that's the case.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I would be ecstatic if Lucina was effectively a costume swap for Marth. I mean, heck, she even looks like Marth while zoomed out. I really, really hope she isn't a clone character, since it would be a much better precedent if she was a costume swap since that opens possibilities for other "newcomers" that could be handled in a similar way (think Daisy for Peach, etc etc).

While I honestly am not keen on this many Fire Emblem reps (I'm guessing it must still be redic popular in Japan to warrant this much attention?), I will say that I'm excited for Robin since it looks like (s)he will have a very unique moveset.

Falcon returning was ofc amazing, and I'm loving that that stupid "leak" is finally being knocked off its pedestal.

On the whole, I'm either very, very happy about this announcement (if Lucina was a costume swap) or still hyped, just not as much (if Lucina was a separate, clone character).

D

Deleted member

Rayman eventually might be DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS, or a third-party character for Smash Bros. 5, but it's too early to think stuff on the latter. Still good to see that the Gematsu leak is dead.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Same dev team, innit?

And Lucina having her own page means nothing, since Panda has her own too.
But Nintendo didn't make Tekken 6, so this is completely different.

Also on the mobile site it shows that Lucina is a newcomer, she is her own character.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Oh man, after spending all day on GF blowing up people about Lucina, I was hoping this place would be better, but it isn't. Here's a master post explaining why Lucina is absolutely just a skin.

We have seen Lucina do 5 moves. All of them are completely identical to Marth:

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG91Oy-LBnU

1:56 shows Uair
1:58 shows Dancing Blade, Forward Foward Down Down
2:00 shows Nair
2:02 shows Dolphin Slash
2:12 shows Counter

Some people seem not to recognize Nair and that Dancing Blade combo. Here are videos of Marth doing both:

Uair and Nair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW3-7bdn5as#t=48s
Nair hitbox from Melee, shows second slash clearly: http://i.imgur.com/icLxLk0.gif
Dancing Blade combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88yLx5lT61Y#t=1m13s

So far, the only thing about Lucina that's different is that one picture with the mask. That's probably her onscreen appearance. Otherwise she's completely a reskin of Marth.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
You forget she has some unique taunts and idle animations too, so I doubt she is a reskin. We may not have seen her unique moves

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Oh man, after spending all day on GF blowing up people about Lucina, I was hoping this place would be better, but it isn't. Here's a master post explaining why Lucina is absolutely just a skin.

Here's the trailer:

Some people seem not to recognize Nair and that Dolphin Slash combo. Here are videos of Marth doing both:

Dolphin Slash combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88yLx5lT61Y#t=1m13s

So far, the only thing about Lucina that's different is that one picture with the mask. That's probably her onscreen appearance. Otherwise she's completely a reskin of Marth.
Thank you for posting this, seriously it gets on my nerves when people start saying she's more diverse than Chrom and makes for a better character.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You forget she has some unique taunts and idle animations too, so I doubt she is a reskin. We may not have seen her unique moves
No clone has ever shared all of their B moves with the character they're cloned from, and if she had some unique attacks, why did they choose to highlight 5 that were all exactly the same?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But Nintendo didn't make Tekken 6, so this is completely different.

Also on the mobile site it shows that Lucina is a newcomer, she is her own character.
They are giving her a page because she is technically a different person than Marth with her own roles in the FE series, and her own fan base. This is no different than the situation with Kuma and Panda.

Regardless of whether or not the desktop site is changed to list her as newcomer, I don't think she is her own slot. She TECHNICALLY is a newcomer as she is a playable fighter we have not seen before - but they are implementing her as a Marth skin.

As I already pointed out, Kuma and Panda didn't share victory animations and the like, and even had their own endings and roles in canon. Lucina is probably just the same thing in Smash Bros. She'll play identically and share a slot, but she will have different taunts and such.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Fire Emblem didn't need 4 characters, but it is what it is. Fire Emblem never needed 2 characters TBH. After today I think we could see a roster in the mid 50s.
Wasn't that the surprise you were looking for ?! SURPRISE! SURPRISE! I'm a big Fire Emblem fan even I would rather see that later, was stoked for Shulk...

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

Here's the trailer:

Some people seem not to recognize Nair and that Dolphin Slash combo. Here are videos of Marth doing both:

so a clone

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Fairly confident? We've seen a ton of skins, and none of them were given this kind of attention or were explicitly called a newcomer on the site. She sure looked faster than Marth to me as well, especially faster than the slow version of Marth who was in that demo. It's not like her being shown in the video forces Sakurai to give her a page either; my old friend Mr. Game & Watch is still waiting on his page. A picture of the day focusing on Lucina will almost definitely come this week to make this crystal clear either way, but I would be legitimately very surprised if she were just a fancy Marth skin who got this huge amount of attention.
I was thinking the same. There are a lot of people here who are almost convinced that she's just a skin.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

Here's the trailer:

Which would explain why she gets her own character portrait on the web site, but not a newcomer banner. I feel like she's still going to take a slot on the roster in the final game, but will be mostly identical to Marth. Just seems odd they'd make an entire character be a skin even if they are identical. Sorta like how I'm not too keen on Pac-Man having a Ms. Pac-Man skin since they're two different characters even though their movesets could be the same.

But, if it's handled like Marth/Lucina... maybe it wouldn't be so bad. If they have their own voice acting, sounds, special effects, and names, but are simply a skin, it's technically like the best of both worlds. Not a roster slot clone, but two different characters. If Ms. Pac-Man was handled that way and the announcer said "Ms. Pac-Man" instead of Pac-Man, and her Bonus Fruit move reflected the fruit from Ms. Pac-Man and not Pac-Man, I'd be okay with it.

Different discussion for a different day, I suppose.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
TrueDarkAce - You know who was a Marth clone? Roy

Good Point..I think she will be similar to Roy, Having different moves from Marth but also keeping some similar

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
No clone has ever shared all of their B moves with the character they're cloned from
Every single clone character in Melee has special movesets identical to their regular counterparts with very minor modifications, I don't know what you're talking about.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace

Here's the trailer:

Some people seem not to recognize Nair and that Dancing Blade combo. Here are videos of Marth doing both:

Dancing Blade combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88yLx5lT61Y#t=1m13s

See: Roy, who had Marth's entire moveset, just with different properties and a different weight/speed. She seems faster than marth as well.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Which would explain why she gets her own character portrait on the web site, but not a newcomer banner. I feel like she's still going to take a slot on the roster in the final game, but will be mostly identical to Marth. Just seems odd they'd make an entire character be a skin even if they are identical. Sorta like how I'm not too keen on Pac-Man having a Ms. Pac-Man skin since they're two different characters even though their movesets could be the same.

But, if it's handled like Marth/Lucina... maybe it wouldn't be so bad. If they have their own voice acting, sounds, special effects, and names, but are simply a skin, it's technically like the best of both worlds. Not a roster slot clone, but two different characters. If Ms. Pac-Man was handled that way and the announcer said "Ms. Pac-Man" instead of Pac-Man, and her Bonus Fruit move reflected the fruit from Ms. Pac-Man and not Pac-Man, I'd be okay with it.

Different discussion for a different day, I suppose.
or maybe her is not a full bar cause the art work is in robin's. Both of them are the clear focal points of the art work and it would be somewhat redundant to have it posted twice right next to each other

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Every single clone character in Melee has special movesets identical to their regular counterparts with very minor modifications, I don't know what you're talking about.
The important part is "with minor modifications". Lucina's specials are all completely identical.

For example, Fox and Falco. Fox Laser and Falco Laser are very different. Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm have different hit effects. Fire Fox and Fire Bird have different hitboxes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
See: Roy, who had Marth's entire moveset, just with different properties and a different weight/speed. She seems faster than marth as well.
Roy's idle animation was at least different, among other things.

Lucina literally has that in common with Marth. It's the exact same "hand on chest and eyes closed with head facing down" animation as Marth.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
From people who played the demo saying that Marth is more Roy-ish, I'm guessing Lucina will be more like the former Marth

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Roy has several attacks that are different from Marth, like his UpB, which is on fire, carries the opponent up, and hangs in the air longer. Double Edge Dance also has different attacks from Dancing Blade, and he can charge Flare Blade longer than Marth's Shield Breaker.

Lucina has none of this. Her Dolphin Slash and Dancing Blade are identical to Marth.

Last edited:

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
The argument that Fire Emblem shouldn't get more than 2 reps is ridiculous. There are 11 main games in the franchise. Compare that to Kid Icarus' three.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I take it back. DARK PIT would have been a better clone -like character, Sakurai Bias aside, he actually could have a unique moveset that is not a copy-paste of Pit even though story wise he is a clone. Lucina is cool, but it is her character to be a clone of Marth, so far she seems exactly the same as him if not with just some minor tweaks. Quite honestly, I would have actually preferred Chrom being another generic blue haired swordsman with a unique moveset and being speedy powerhouse, .....then just another clone but being a blue haired swordswoman.

As far as the video goes, I am VERY excited to play as Robin, ecstatic for Captain Falcon's mighty return, and mixed about Lucina's inclusion over Chrom.

EDIT: yes I am aware of Toon Link, but I blame. Wind. Waker HD. I am also aware of the other past clones, but you know what, that was the past. Coming from a Roy main, I was fine with his absence in the series, but I seriously believe we do not need a "Melee Marth". SSB4 isn't supposed to be Melee, why revive past mistakes ? It feels cheap that a supposed newcomer is just another version and older version of a veteran.I get how. FE is popular and it is justified for it 's numerous reps, but how about using the diversity of the franchise ? I don 't know what to say about this........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom