• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Next Level tweeted about the February Nintendo Direct. Next Level made Punch Out Wii and afaik had no other game that was in that Direct. Boom, Little Mac.

The Writer for Xenoblane has never retweeted Sakurai before unless it has something to do with Xenoblade information.
Why make us wait 3 days if they were just going to spoil it. Lame.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Which is exactly why I want him! Graffiti-brush based moveset would be phenomenal. I just don't think the game devs agree.
I know right! I just wish it would be real, but Sakurai has a "no more than 5 characters per series" thing. Which is why, people, Mewtwo probably wont be in this game, because Jigglypuff will be. Wario probably wont for this reason, too.

Shroob

Sup?
Why make us wait 3 days if they were just going to spoil it. Lame.
Blame the writer for retweeting it then.

@ PingPongCop PingPongCop

Wario is considered his own franchise, like Yoshi. Not only that, but the Waluigi and Ashley AT have the Wario symbol. Wario is back no question.

Last edited:

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
Outside the tweet realm, sakurai is a genuine fan of Xenoblade, and there are tons of ideas for Shulk's moveset (and creative ones at that), so he does have that going for him!

I really don't think the tweet is good reason though. I dunno, it just doesn't seem too legit to me. That's just an opinion though.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Does NOBODY remember the Direct?! Ridley is a boss on the Metroid stage, not a character!
No, it's merely implied. Kinda critical if Sakurai wanted to disconfirm Ridley outright, he'd... I dunno, address him by name. Sure is fun when Tewn Link and Palutena never got named before showing their faces.

I do not expect him to be revealed though because hidden character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Considering how many people I've seen who act like the Gematsu leak is as bad as cancer, it's hard to tell there is hype sometimes.
Oh god, this... Aside from Megaman and Little Mac, every new reveal so far has flooded the boards with whining and it has sucked a lot of fun out of speculation this time around. The continued butthurt about the Mii Fighters is irksome and god knows there's been an abundance of wrist cutting over the mere prospect of Chrom and Chorusmen/Marshall. This, of course, is all before the final release which will of course trigger complaining of apocalyptic levels about people's wishlists not being 100% fulfilled so it's a little hard to not be at least a little resentful of the Smash fanbase during these final months.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
No, it's merely implied. Kinda critical if Sakurai wanted to disconfirm Ridley outright, he'd... I dunno, address him by name. Sure is fun when Tewn Link and Palutena never got named before showing their faces.

I do not expect him to be revealed though because hidden character.
Sorry, didn't hit the reply button.

You can see Ridley's shadow on the stage when Sakurai says, "Other boss characters will make appearances."

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'd bet real money that even if the sal leak is true, those 3 aren't the only remaining newcomers. If neither Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley OR Isaac make it in, people are going to be upset. Sakurai has to have known this since work began on brawl, and omitting all 4 would be a swift gut-punch to the fans.

Last edited:

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
His wording is vague and Ridley is not mentioned by name.
By that same logic, Sakurai, by saying, "We're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos." (or whatever he said) could mean "That's the last one, folks!" (sarcasm implied, no offense to you or anything)

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Sorry, didn't hit the reply button.

You can see Ridley's shadow on the stage when Sakurai says, "Other boss characters will make appearances."
Believe me, If it were any other character than Ridley, these boards would have considered the character a boss. Ridley just naturally attracts straw-grasping and blind eyes haha.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
By that same logic, Sakurai, by saying, "We're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos." (or whatever he said) could mean "That's the last one, folks!" (sarcasm implied, no offense to you or anything)
I've thought about this, and the way I see it, there are three possibilities for why we haven't had direct confirmation of Ridley as anything:

1) Ridley is not a playable character, and Sakurai is being difficult about it

2) Ridley is a playable character, and Sakurai is being difficult about it

3) Sakurai genuinely believes that Ridley as a stage boss is super cool, and so he is being difficult about it.

(I have nothing against Sakurai I'm just being difficult about it)

Last edited:

Octopeart

Smash Rookie
Hello guys,

Does anyone know where I could watch the trailer a few hours after it airs while staying spoiler-free? I'm sure the website will be updated and I don't trust Youtube thumbnails/comments.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Hello guys,

Does anyone know where I could watch the trailer a few hours after it airs while staying spoiler-free? I'm sure the website will be updated and I don't trust Youtube thumbnails/comments.
I can PM you the video with a random title. ;)

EDIT: Download the video and upload it under unlisted with a random title

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd bet real money that even if the sal leak is true, those 3 aren't the only remaining newcomers. If neither Metwo, K. Rool, Ridley OR Isaac make it in, people are going to be upset. Sakurai has to have known this since work began on brawl, and omitting all 4 would be a swift guy-punch to the fans.
People are going to be upset anyways because not everyone's favorites are going to get in. Brawl didn't have them either or other popular choices at the time like Megaman, Krystal, and Geno. Thems-the-breaks. For example, if Gematsu is true, I'm getting 3 of my top 10 (:4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena:) and most people will probably be in a similar boat when it's all said and done.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I'd bet real money that even if the sal leak is true, those 3 aren't the only remaining newcomers. If neither Metwo, K. Rool, Ridley OR Isaac make it in, people are going to be upset. Sakurai has to have known this since work began on brawl, and omitting all 4 would be a swift guy-punch to the fans.
Exactly!

It'll be flabbergasting if neither Mewtwo, K.Rool, Ridley or Isaac make it in.

Heck, Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo seem to be multiples more wanted than any of the announced Smash 4 Newcomers, save Mega Man.

It's just plain weird if not one of these gets in. There's no way Sakurai doesn't know about their popularity, so what would be his reason to not include 3 out of the top 4 most wanted characters World Wide? (keep in mind the big difference in size between the Japanese and Western Smash fanbases when thinking about popularity rankings).

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
This is awesome news to read! When the character is revealed, think of Fishbowl because it will be his birthday :kirby:
If it's Ridley, then you know this was planned specifically for me ;)

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
I've thought about this, and the way I see it, there are three possibilities for why we haven't had direct confirmation of Ridley as anything:

1) Ridley is not a playable character, and Sakurai is being difficult about it

2) Ridley is a playable character, and Sakurai is being difficult about it

3) Sakurai genuinely believes that Ridley as a stage boss is super cool, and so he is being difficult about it.

(I have nothing against Sakurai I'm just being difficult about it)
Well I'd believe one of those three, I'm just being difficult about it

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I know right! I just wish it would be real, but Sakurai has a "no more than 5 characters per series" thing. Which is why, people, Mewtwo probably wont be in this game, because Jigglypuff will be. Wario probably wont for this reason, too.
How can there be a 'no more than 5' when Pokemon had six characters in Brawl?

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I think it'll just be one of the Sal characters. It won't be Ridley. I feel like Ridley is going to be a hidden character if he's in which is why Sakurai never mentioned who he was when we saw his boss shadow. Like Game and Watch's "reveal" he never mentioned either of their names probably because they are unlocked later on...?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just because it's known, doesn't mean that the designers are forced to commit to it. Don't have a clue as to the reasoning behind it, but there's nothing stopping them from excluding characters.

That's a misconception I'm not fond of, not just for Super Smash Bros. but crossovers in general. Hence why I get confused when people pretend this is some sort of new concept.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
People are going to be upset anyways because not everyone's favorites are going to get in. Brawl didn't have them either or other popular choices at the time like Megaman, Krystal, and Geno. Thems-the-breaks. For example, if Gematsu is true, I'm getting 3 of my top 10 (:4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena:) and most people will probably be in a similar boat when it's all said and done.
My Top 10 pre initial reveal

1. Ridley
2. Megaman
3. Little Mac
4. Palutena
5. Animal Crossing Character
6. Shulk
7. Isaac
8. Takamaru
9. Donkey Kong Rep
10. New Fire Emblem Rep (although Chrom is at the bottom of this particular list,)

I'm actually surprised about how this might turn out for me. Even the characters I thought I would hate (such as the Miis) seem some what interesting.

I am still also of the firm belief that we will have a few (probably around 3-4) hidden newcomers on top of the remaining Gematsu characters (if Gematsu is to be believed) and there is still the possibility of DLC. At this point, I am honestly more worried about the returning veterans....

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I can PM you the video with a random title. ;)

EDIT: Download the video and upload it under unlisted with a random title
Yo, I would also like to be sent the video with a random name so I remain spoiler-free, seeing as I can't watch it live. Can that be arranged?

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
He's counting Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur separately, which makes sense, as they are different characters by the literal sense.

One slot, but three characters.
I understand that, but even if they were three characters, they were considered under one slot by Sakurai, "Pokémon Trainer".

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Lucario
4. Squirtle
5. Ivysaur
6. Charizard
I understand that, but even if they were three characters, they were considered under one slot by Sakurai, "Pokémon Trainer".

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't see how being in one slot, changes the character count.
e.g. Assuming all the Brawl Zelda characters come back but with no newcomers, are people going to say they gained an extra character because Sheik has her own slot now?
No, all this does is enforce that characters like Zelda/Shiek and the PKMN Trainer's Pokemon should be counted seperately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom