• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Believe me, If it were any other character than Ridley, these boards would have considered the character a boss. Ridley just naturally attracts straw-grasping and blind eyes haha.
Too bad the shadow doesnt move like a boss character. Bosses have timed scripted movements and animations that flow into each other. The shadow lacked that and instead had the instant animation end/start transitions that all playable characters have. Not to mention it never turned when changing sides of the stage like all Sakurai bosses. There's LOGIC to why people think its something other than a boss. I don't even particularly want Ridley but just looking at the movie shows a million odd things about it. So you don't have to jerk and call people like me straw-grasping blind people. T_T I doubt you put much thought into the obvious technical signs to the scene anyways.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Let's all create some reactions based on the character revealed Monday:

Shulk: "I knew it. Of course it was him, why wouldn't it have been him?"

Bowser Jr.: "NO, 6 MARIO REPS NOT FAIR UGHHHH SAKURAI"

Ridley: HE'S TOO BIG "WHAT, I can't believe it!!! Curse all the naysayers! I knew Sakurai could do it YESSSS WOOP WOOP" *gunshots*

Mewtw Sceptile: "NOO WE WANT MEWTWO SAKURAI NOOOO"

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I don't see how being in one slot, changes the character count.
e.g. Assuming all the Brawl Zelda characters come back but with no newcomers, are people going to say they gained an extra character because Sheik has her own slot now?
No, all this does is enforce that characters like Zelda/Shiek and the PKMN Trainer's Pokemon should be counted seperately.
YAY, WE GOT A ZELDA NEWCOMER AFTER ALL

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
my reaction to King K. Rool: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
everyone else's reaction to King K. Rool: "WHERE'S MY MEWTWO!?"

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I understand that, but even if they were three characters, they were considered under one slot by Sakurai, "Pokémon Trainer".
There's no "SLOTS" guys. Get rid of that logic. They made 6 playable Pokemon in Brawl and that's that. We're talking about work load and that's all that matters in the end. They'll never go "wait wait...we can't kick Lucas! There's too few Earthbound characters!" or "We can't add Mewtwo! There's too many Pokemon!"

Last edited:

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
e.g. Assuming all the Brawl Zelda characters come back but with no newcomers, are people going to say they gained an extra character because Sheik has her own slot now?
No, all this does is enforce that characters like Zelda/Shiek and the PKMN Trainer's Pokemon should be counted seperately.
Look, I understand that, but in terms of confirming characters and whatnot, Pokémon Trainer is one character, using up one slot. Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are three separate individuals, with different moves, but Pokémon Trainer is the character that you pick in Character select, not Charizard on its own.

No, Legend of Zelda hasn't obtained a new character, but rather since they we're two individuals that were under the same character slot, they have one less left, which equals up to 0. (assuming Ganondorf returned, which I'm not hoping for but I don't care too much.) Yes, it does reinforce that they should be counted separately, but it also means that Zelda and Shiek are no longer connected. They were one character, that are now separately two.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
There's no "SLOTS" guys. Get rid of that logic. They made 6 playable Pokemon in Brawl and that's that. We're talking about work load and that's all that matters in the end. They'll never go "wait wait...we can't kick Lucas! There's too few Earthbound characters!" or "We can't add Mewtwo! There's too many Pokemon!"
You can't know that for sure. For all we know, they throw darts at a wall with pictures of characters.

Look, I understand that, but in terms of confirming characters and whatnot, Pokémon Trainer is one character, using up one slot. Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are three separate individuals, with different moves, but Pokémon Trainer is the character that you pick in Character select, not Charizard on its own.

No, Legend of Zelda hasn't obtained a new character, but rather since they we're two individuals that were under the same character slot, they have one less left, which equals up to 0. (assuming Ganondorf returned, which I'm not hoping for but I don't care too much.) Yes, it does reinforce that they should be counted separately, but it also means that Zelda and Shiek are no longer connected. They were one character, that are now separately two.
This argument again, huh? :smirk:

Well, here's the solution. :awesome:

Pop your Brawl disk into your Wii and go to your records.

Do you see that counter for the number of playable characters? Good. What does is say? 39.

By using slots on the character select screen, we wouldn't get this number. Which means Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus were counted as their own characters in Brawl.

Last edited:

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
....I'd like to believe you on those last few statements, but there's no proof on that in the end. Plus, you're thinking about characters who are PLAYABLE. I'm thinking about CHARACTERS. See the difference there? Pokémon Trainer is a character, but Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are the playable fighters.

This argument again, huh? :smirk:

Well, here's the solution. :awesome:

Pop your Brawl disk into your Wii and go to your records.

Do you see that counter for the number of playable characters? Good. What does is say? 39.

By using slots on the character select screen, we wouldn't get this number. Which means Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus were counted as their own characters in Brawl.
....That's because the Wii is counting how many unique fighters there are. When Pokémon Trainer was announced, HE was the new challenger, who consisted of three separate fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The problem I have is that most requested newcomers are characters from series I haven't played before (eg. Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Advance Wars, Punch Out, etc)... Or characters who I just wouldn't want to play as anyway (eg. Ridley. A giant purple pterodactyl alien? I'll pass).

Some of the only characters I actually wanted are as follows:

• Robin (would settle for Chrom though)
• Ray mk3 (would settle for another Ray)
• Megaman
• Skull Kid (would also like to see Young Link come back with a MM-inspired moveset but he isn't a newcomer lol)
• A character from Kid Icarus Uprising OTHER THAN Palutena. Like Magnus (assist trophy qq) or Viridi
• Zoroark

And that's about it. I don't have the same kind of emotional attachment to other characters like I do these guys. And because only one has been confirmed (and Magnus and Skull Kid were deconfirmed) I pretty much have to make myself excited for the characters I didn't want... It's tough. I've definitely warmed to Little Mac though.

EDIT: Anyone who says "Mewtwo" and "newcomer" in the same sentence either doesn't know what newcomer means, or doesn't know that he/it was in Melee lol

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What's even the point of this discussion anyway? Shulk, Chorus Kids, and Chrom aren't going to magically transform into something else.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
There's totally slots people.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Too bad the shadow doesnt move like a boss character. Bosses have timed scripted movements and animations that flow into each other. The shadow lacked that and instead had the instant animation end/start transitions that all playable characters have. Not to mention it never turned when changing sides of the stage like all Sakurai bosses. There's LOGIC to why people think its something other than a boss. I don't even particularly want Ridley but just looking at the movie shows a million odd things about it. So you don't have to jerk and call people like me straw-grasping blind people. T_T I doubt you put much thought into the obvious technical signs to the scene anyways.
.....All this in the face of the banner that was at the bottom of the screen, and completely ignoring the context of what was being talked about when the clip was shown. It IS straw grasping, it doesn't matter who the character is or how bad you want them. The fact that you had to say "it doesn't move like a boss character", instead of pointing to any piece of official evidence from sakurai, a trailer, or a POTD that can counteract that banner or the context around the clip, proves that your "logic" is reaching. I honestly don't care if he's playable or not, but don't deny the overwhelming evidence against him. I'm not being a jerk, I'm being a realist.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Let's all create some reactions based on the character revealed Monday:

Shulk: "I knew it. Of course it was him, why wouldn't it have been him?"

Bowser Jr.: "NO, 6 MARIO REPS NOT FAIR UGHHHH SAKURAI"

Ridley: HE'S TOO BIG "WHAT, I can't believe it!!! Curse all the naysayers! I knew Sakurai could do it YESSSS WOOP WOOP" *gunshots*

Mewtw Sceptile: "NOO WE WANT MEWTWO SAKURAI NOOOO"
Funky Kong: Wtf Sakurai
Baby Yoshi: same

Sakurai is almost famous for his curveballs.. I don't think we'll be seeing someone with a vocal fanbase.
Or the Gematsu leak is real. These are exciting times!

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
In brawl did you count Zelda/Shiek as two Zelda reps? No. It was one. Because there was ONE character. Now there are 2. Therefore yes Zelda did get another Rep. Sheik may not be a newcomer but that doesn't mean that she was a rep in previous games, she was zelda/sheik. Yes you could opt to play one or the other, but they were still the same character in all intents and purposes. Same goes for Pokemon Trainer. He is one rep. Not three.

Look at Samus? Did anybody in brawl call Zero Suit Samus a seperate Metroid Rep? Hell no. They still complained that they only had one rep for their series. Just because Sakurai seperated them now does NOT mean that they count as more reps in past games.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
In brawl did you count Zelda/Shiek as two Zelda reps? No. It was one. Because there was ONE character. Now there are 2. Therefore yes Zelda did get another Rep. Sheik may not be a newcomer but that doesn't mean that she was a rep in previous games, she was zelda/sheik. Yes you could opt to play one or the other, but they were still the same character in all intents and purposes. Same goes for Pokemon Trainer. He is one rep. Not three.

Look at Samus? Did anybody in brawl call Zero Suit Samus a seperate Metroid Rep? Hell no. They still complained that they only had one rep for their series. Just because Sakurai seperated them now does NOT mean that they count as more reps in past games.
I counted Zelda and Sheik as two. The game counted them as two.
I counted Zero Suit Samus as a seperate rep. The game did too.
There are others who do the same.

People weren't complaining that they only got 'one Metroid rep', they were complaining that the only new one was just another version of Samus and not someone else.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

As far as I'm aware since Sakurai counted them as separate characters, everyone else did too. As far back as Melee in Zelda and Sheik's case.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Except they will. They could add 100 pokemon that would work in Smash bros, they could change the entire roster and all newcomers to pokemon. Why don't they do this? Because pokemon would have too many reps. Why do you think Mario doesn't get many new reps? (Wario is his own series) They have to leave room for different series and reps for underrepresented series (DK)

They also don't cut reps who are the sole representation of a series. This is the biggest reason why Captain Falcon will still be in (unless he gets replaced by another F-Zero rep, LOL) However Sakurai could start doing this now though it's very unlikely since he never has before.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
....That's because the Wii is counting how many unique fighters there are. When Pokémon Trainer was announced, HE was the new challenger, who consisted of three separate fighters.
You're exactly correct. "Unique Fighter" is the same as "Included Character"

They take up only one slot on the select screen, but to be honest, that's kind of a trivial fact. I matters about as much as the box art. When it comes down to playing the game, Poke Trainer is comprised of 3 characters.

I mean heck, for like half of the Subspace Emissary you could only use Squirtle, so it's not really a big deal that they have one slot.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Funky Kong: Wtf Sakurai
Baby Yoshi: same

Sakurai is almost famous for his curveballs.. I don't think we'll be seeing someone with a vocal fanbase.
Or the Gematsu leak is real. These are exciting times!
Funky Kong would blow my mind.. in a somewhat good way.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
I counted Zelda and Sheik as two. The game counted them as two. So do other people.
I counted Zero Suit Samus as a seperate rep. The game did too.
There are others who do the same.

People weren't complaining that they only got 'one Metroid rep', they were complaining that the only new one was just another version of Samus and not someone else.
Ok since you don't want to listen to logic.

Can you put your Player Select marker on a picture of Sheik?
Can you put your Player Select marker on a picture of Zero Suit Samus?
Can you put your Player Select marker on a picture of Charizard? Squirtle? Ivysaur? (Highlighting who you start with obviously doesn't count)

You can't pick only ONE of these characters. They are a packaged deal. No matter how you want to spin it. Samus is the only one who is unable to switch forms if Smash Balls are disabled. So no. They are not their own character. Personal opinion aside the GAME names them as one.

Again this is only to explain to you why Sakurai hasn't broken his 5 rep rule. Because they do not take 5 character portraits on the Select Screen and are only versions of the same Reps.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Can you put your Player Select marker on a picture of Charizard? Squirtle? Ivysaur? (Highlighting who you start with obviously doesn't count)

You can't pick only ONE of these characters. They are a packaged deal. No matter how you want to spin it. Samus is the only one who is unable to switch forms if Smash Balls are disabled. So no. They are not their own character. Personal opinion aside the GAME names them as one.
You may not be able to put a marker on them, but for all of them you can change which one you start the match as.

Also, can't you change between Samus and ZSS through taunting?

But, don't ever say I don't want to listen to logic. I am reading everything you say, taking it all in and providing the points I feel relevant. Don't make assumptions like that again.

Last edited:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I understand that, but even if they were three characters, they were considered under one slot by Sakurai, "Pokémon Trainer".
Sakurai said himself he considers brawl to have 39 characters meaning he considers them to be separate characters.

Just because they share a slot doesn't mean they're the same character. It's not like a stance change

Edit: Somewhat :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310

Again this is only to explain to you why Sakurai hasn't broken his 5 rep rule. Because they do not take 5 character portraits on the Select Screen and are only versions of the same Reps.
5 rep rule? You can't just make assumptions based on 2 games worth of history. There is NO formula.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
You may not be able to put a marker on them, but for all of them you can change which one you start the match as.

Also, can't you change between Samus and ZSS through taunting?

But, don't ever say I don't want to listen to logic. I am reading everything you say, taking it all in and providing the points I feel relevant. Don't make assumptions like that again.
They are apart of each other. You cannot play Zelda without the opportunity to play Sheik at any time. You can't play Pokemon Trainer without the opportunity to play with all three pokemon. No matter who you start as you can always play the other. This is why they are one character. In Brawl you could not play them without also 'playing' as the others, even if you didn't switch.
They take one rep and one character spot. In Smash 4 they will be their own rep and take up their own character space.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Double Posting Warning Received
Sakurai said himself he considers brawl to have 39 characters meaning he considers them to be separate characters.

Just because they share a slot doesn't mean they're the same character. It's not like a stance change

Edit: Somewhat :4greninja:'d
... I don't get why you guys don't understand, so I'm going to drop it.

You're exactly correct. "Unique Fighter" is the same as "Included Character"

They take up only one slot on the select screen, but to be honest, that's kind of a trivial fact. I matters about as much as the box art. When it comes down to playing the game, Poke Trainer is comprised of 3 characters.

I mean heck, for like half of the Subspace Emissary you could only use Squirtle, so it's not really a big deal that they have one slot.
At least someone gets it

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
They are apart of each other. You cannot play Zelda without the opportunity to play Sheik at any time. You can't play Pokemon Trainer without the opportunity to play with all three pokemon. No matter who you start as you can always play the other. This is why they are one character. In Brawl you could not play them without also 'playing' as the others, even if you didn't switch.
They take one rep and one character spot. In Smash 4 they will be their own rep and take up their own character space.
I guess, but you're still changing to another character.
... I don't get why you guys don't understand, so I'm going to drop it.
I don't get why you guys don't get it. Even Sakurai counts them as seperate characters, so are you saying that the person who made the game is incorrect?

But either way, I don't see any of us convincing the other, so I guess dropping might be best so we can get back to being hyped for Monday.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
What's even the point of this discussion anyway? Shulk, Chorus Kids, and Chrom aren't going to magically transform into something else.
Shulk, Chorus Kids, and Chrom are not the only possibilities for the Monday reveal. Even if they were, this discussion would still exist, and it would still be a prominent thread as there would be debate as to which of the three would be the revealed character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He didn't specify “newcomer”, "new challenger" can very well just mean an unrevealed SSB4 fighter…plus, Snake being replaced by Big Boss to count as a “newcomer” is possible, since it's kind of happened before.
Contextually, those are synonyms.
It's not suspicious at all. His first leak was in relation to E3. Rosalina wasn't intended to be shown at E3. The second leak came before the direct which was after Rosalina's reveal. Simple as that.

Even if he had information and knew about Rosalina before E3 2013, just because he didn't reveal it doesn't make it suspicious. Self-imposed rules about what the leaker should and shouldn't have done do not make the leak any less likely. It's like you guys are saying "he didn't reveal everything at once, so the leak is fake" rather than looking at the big picture and seeing that 8 out of 11 characters have been confirmed so far and none have been deconfirmed.

Face it, guys, if you're claiming the Gematsu leak as fake, you're desperately grasping at straws at this point. Just face facts, realize it's 99% likely to happen, and be hopeful for other potential hidden newcomers.
So then.. what straw is being grasped at in the sense that three characters which were supposed to be revealed at e3 2013 were not revealed?
I wish I leaked wii fit trainer beforehand, as she was on my list before the announcement as a likely character. That is about the only strange character peoples seem to think. Pokemon Trainer opened the door pretty wide for avatar characters.
The honestly only shocking newcomer I did not predict was Greninja. Everyone else was not super surprising
2005 spoilers for a rare Gamecube game that costs 75 - 150 dollars that is an event that is telegraphed from very early on.

But by all means - you do know the princess is in another castle, btw
So, is your point that it is never going to be played by many, or that it should be known from the start? Or that Fire Emblem is not worthy of being enjoyed by as many as would be interested in playing a great and dark story, because if it is as fantastic as you state, just outright ruining the story may not be the best way to build an audience for it- especially if you are such an avid fan. If it is ever ported into a new game, now there is no point in my playing it for the story, nor anyone else who read this discussion man. That's all I'm saying. If it's a game you respect, why would you ruin the climax for others'?

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Why is this even debated on here? Sakurai--the creator of the games himself--has confirmed that transformations counted as separate characters, and that there were 26 and 39 playable characters in Melee and Brawl respectively. That's like arguing that Mario isn't Nintendo's mascot simply because Mr. Game & Watch predated him by a year. It's like arguing that Wings wasn't the first Best Picture-winning Oscar winner just because it was named differently even though the Academy itself has labeled it official.

In other words, this isn't sort of speculative debate; it's a FACT! Melee has 26 characters, and Brawl has 39. GET OVER IT!

I won't respond to any contrarians on the subject because frankly, an argument over established facts--especially when said establishment is essentially God of his own creation--is a complete waste of time. Besides, this thread has gone way off topic just because a few stubborn slot purists cannot learn to accept that they are wrong.

Now, as far as topic goes, I am hoping that any newcomer outside of gematsu will be confirmed Monday morning--the most likely being Ridley if that is the case, but I make no guarantees--if all the stuff regarding the Monolith Soft Tweets and his voice actor are any indication, it's looking highly likely that Monday Morning will either be Monado Monday or bust. Either Shulk joins in the next 36 hours, or I will flat-out dismiss the legitimacy of the leak all the way up until launch, even if another leaked character makes it back in. Simple as that.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Why is this even debated on here? Sakurai--the creator of the games himself--has confirmed that transformations counted as separate characters, and that there were 26 and 39 playable characters in Melee and Brawl respectively. That's like arguing that Mario isn't Nintendo's mascot simply because Mr. Game & Watch predated him by a year. It's like arguing that Wings wasn't the first Best Picture-winning Oscar winner just because it was named differently even though the Academy itself has labeled it official.

In other words, this isn't sort of speculative debate; it's a FACT! Melee has 26 characters, and Brawl has 39. GET OVER IT!

I won't respond to any contrarians on the subject because frankly, an argument over established facts--especially when said establishment is essentially God of his own creation--is a complete waste of time. Besides, this thread has gone way off topic just because a few stubborn slot purists cannot learn to accept that they are wrong.

Now, as far as topic goes, I am hoping that any newcomer outside of gematsu will be confirmed Monday morning--the most likely being Ridley if that is the case, but I make no guarantees--if all the stuff regarding the Monolith Soft Tweets and his voice actor are any indication, it's looking highly likely that Monday Morning will either be Monado Monday or bust. Either Shulk joins in the next 36 hours, or I will flat-out dismiss the legitimacy of the leak all the way up until launch, even if another leaked character makes it back in. Simple as that.
....You know, I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that, because I clearly said "Lets just drop the topic."

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

So then.. what straw is being grasped at in the sense that three characters which were supposed to be revealed at e3 2013 were not revealed?
I wish I leaked wii fit trainer beforehand, as she was on my list before the announcement as a likely character. That is about the only strange character peoples seem to think. Pokemon Trainer opened the door pretty wide for avatar characters.
The honestly only shocking newcomer I did not predict was Greninja. Everyone else was not super surprising

So, is your point that it is never going to be played by many, or that it should be known from the start? Or that Fire Emblem is not worthy of being enjoyed by as many as would be interested in playing a great and dark story, because if it is as fantastic as you state, just outright ruining the story may not be the best way to build an audience for it- especially if you are such an avid fan. If it is ever ported into a new game, now there is no point in my playing it for the story, nor anyone else who read this discussion man. That's all I'm saying. If it's a game you respect, why would you ruin the climax for others'?
I will agree its wrong to post spoilers but what was posted is not the climax of the story and happens well before the half way point of the game

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
I guess, but you're still changing to another character.

I don't get why you guys don't get it. Even Sakurai counts them as seperate characters, so are you saying that the person who made the game is incorrect?

But either way, I don't see any of us convincing the other, so I guess dropping might be best so we can get back to being hyped for Monday.
Except your not 'changing' character because you had already picked that character, just a different form of them. Therefore you wouldn't be changing to another rep.

Also if I had been playing only Squirtle and I got tired of playing him and wanted to play another character I wouldn't even consider Charizard or Ivysaur because they are the same character as squirtle.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Except your not 'changing' character because you had already picked that character, just a different form of them. Therefore you wouldn't be changing to another rep.

Also if I had been playing only Squirtle and I got tired of playing him and wanted to play another character I wouldn't even consider Charizard or Ivysaur because they are the same character as squirtle.
Bro, we dropped it. Cmon...

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice

It's not the climax.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom