• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Personally, I want the newcomer to be someone NO one expects. Like, another Wii Fit Trainer in terms of sheer, "WTF?!" I mean, 3 minutes? Sure, it could be anyone we've listed, but what if it isn't? What if every single one of us has been wrong?

What if it's Geno? :troll:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Personally, I want the newcomer to be someone NO one expects. Like, another Wii Fit Trainer in terms of sheer, "WTF?!" I mean, 3 minutes? Sure, it could be anyone we've listed, but what if it isn't? What if every single one of us has been wrong?

Someone that Noone expects?
Cloud N. Candy.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

It cant be Geno because youre expecting him

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Shulk on Monday, without the retweet, would have made me happy. I would have been hyped.

Now that the Monolith Soft writer retweeted it, and if Shulk is revealed, the three day wait will have been worthless (to me at least). It takes away from the hype, and renders the outcome obvious.

Sure, I'll like that Shulk is in. I support him. However, the impact from the potential surprise will have been gone. We debate all the time about the Gematsu characters, yet there is no real way to know when the characters are going to be revealed -- wherein should lie the surprise factor (not who, but when).

In short, I will be happy for Shulk, but very disappointed with the way it was handled.

Seeing as how Little Mac received a similar treatment from the company that made Punch-Out!! Wii (the whole retweet prior to the direct thing, but nobody really pointed it out at the time), I fear the same will happen to Shulk. I wanted to be hyped, but now it's obvious.

Morbi

Scavenger

It was supposed to be Chorus Men, but Sal would not have it that way. :troll:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

OH LORD COOKING MAMA CONFIRMED

But seriously, that would be awesome. It's the exact kind of thing SakuraI would do.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Shulk on Monday, without the retweet, would have made me happy. I would have been hyped.

Now that the Monolith Soft writer retweeted it, and if Shulk is revealed, the three day wait will have been worthless (to me at least). It takes away from the hype, and renders the outcome obvious.

Sure, I'll like that Shulk is in. I support him. However, the impact from the potential surprise will have been gone. We debate all the time about the Gematsu characters, yet there is no real way to know when the characters are going to be revealed -- wherein should lie the surprise factor (not who, but when).

In short, I will be happy for Shulk, but very disappointed with the way it was handled.

Seeing as how Little Mac received a similar treatment from the company that made Punch-Out!! Wii (the whole retweet prior to the direct thing, but nobody really pointed it out at the time), I fear the same will happen to Shulk. I wanted to be hyped, but now it's obvious.
Yeah, but what if its not Shulk?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Did it ever cross the Xenoblade director's mind that he would be spoiling the surprise by retweeting the announcement? Quite thoughtless.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just dancing around threads when I post something I consider well thought out now. Since we are all online all weekend stewing in anticipation (which means I'll be ripe soon!)

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I almost half-hope that Sakurai, or at least members of his team are watching us react and debate this debacle. I almost want them to see how disappointed we would be if Shulk was spoiled during the waiting period (which at this point seems arbitrary, due to the retweet).

Happy for Shulk, but disappointed in certain actions behind the reveal.

You know, I can't really describe it, but I can't stand ambivalence. It's incredibly uncomfortable. I can deal with pure disappointment, or pure excitement. However when I feel conflicting emotions, it just tears at me on the inside. Kinda like trench warfare.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I did not actually post what I meant to before, haha.
- Show Nintendo characters among other Nintendo charaters

Two out of three of those proves that characters such as Isaac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, etc, do not need videos, and that introduction videos (as they are called) are in fact useless.
Sure, it is fun to see them alongside other Nintendo veterans, but perhaps we will get to in another mode in the Wii U, or even the 3DS, as Sakurai said he was keen on these interactions.
We all know who these characters are, they've even all been in Smash bros before.
A character who has been in the series' before and is not making their debut does not even have much business having a video.

This is, of course, debunked by Palutena, who appeared in Subspace Emissary and Pit's Final Smash, but the notion is still pretty strong, I feel, that the videos are to garnish hype and introduce characters, which is again a restating of the characters we are GETTING unlocked, from the start, are the ones we are being shown now, and the ones who don't need hype, need no introduction, will make you scream to fight later in game and who you tortured yourself over not knowing if they were in the game- they are the locked characters in the game.

It just makes too much sense given the amount of appeal Sakurai puts into wanting to surprise his fans, but also cater to them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

'swhy my signature is how it is.
It would be boring if it's someone everyone expects.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Two out of three of those proves that characters such as Isaac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, etc, do not need videos, and that introduction videos (as they are called) are in fact useless.
Sure, it is fun to see them alongside other Nintendo veterans, but perhaps we will get to in another mode in the Wii U, or even the 3DS, as Sakurai said he was keen on these interactions.
We all know who these characters are, they've even all been in Smash bros before.
A character who has been in the series' before and is not making their debut does not even have much business having a video.

This is, of course, debunked by Palutena, who appeared in Subspace Emissary and Pit's Final Smash, but the notion is still pretty strong, I feel, that the videos are to garnish hype and introduce characters, which is again a restating of the characters we are GETTING unlocked, from the start, are the ones we are being shown now, and the ones who don't need hype, need no introduction, will make you scream to fight later in game and who you tortured yourself over not knowing if they were in the game- they are the locked characters in the game.

It just makes too much sense given the amount of appeal Sakurai puts into wanting to surprise his fans, but also cater to them.
That's an interesting idea. I'd actually really enjoy that situation. Only time will tell, I guess.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
If we get a newcomer, then Shulk, Chrom, Ridley, Isaac or K. Rool. If we get a Veteran, then Mewtwo, Lucas or Roy.

It'll probably be the Chorus Men :troll:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did it ever cross the Xenoblade director's mind that he would be spoiling the surprise by retweeting the announcement? Quite thoughtless.
I'm sure Sakurai and his team know about the Gematsu leak but there's not really anything they can do about it since it's freakin' everywhere. There's also the possibility that it isn't Shulk and this is a case of misdirection. If it is Shulk, the guy could have done this on impulse. Think about it; having your character get into Smash Bros is a pretty huge deal, especially for a second party character that's only a few years old and battling legends like Mario and Link so maybe he wasn't able to contain his enthusiasm. You also have to admit, it would have raised even more suspicion if he had detracted it.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm sure Sakurai and his team know about the Gematsu leak but there's not really anything they can do about it since it's freakin' everywhere. There's also the possibility that it isn't Shulk and this is a case of misdirection. If it is Shulk, the guy could have done this on impulse. Think about it; having your character get into Smash Bros is a pretty huge deal, especially for a second party character that's only a few years old and battling legends like Mario and Link so maybe he wasn't able to contain his enthusiasm. You also have to admit, it would have raised even more suspicion if he had detracted it.
These are possibilities... I guess we'll find out Monday.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why is there not any artwork showing monolith guy in a comic posting the sakurai statement
the world reacting
and it being akin to the shot heard round the world? Starting insane flame wars, character arguments, sleepless fights, and rocking in the corner.

Perhaps, at least, his smug face 'watch me disrupt the smash community' as he takes his phone and shoots a text.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Why is there not any artwork showing monolith guy in a comic posting the sakurai statement
the world reacting
and it being akin to the shot heard round the world? Starting insane flame wars, character arguments, sleepless fights, and rocking in the corner.

Perhaps, at least, his smug face 'watch me disrupt the smash community' as he takes his phone and shoots a text.
Found it:

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

But Megaman.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
The Xenoblade guy tweeted stuff before related to smash bros.

Chromfirmed.
I remember this, when did it happen? I know some people got hyped for Shulk, but it ended up being someone else. We may have a similar case here.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I remember this, when did it happen? I know some people got hyped for Shulk, but it ended up being someone else. We may have a similar case here.
I was looking for this too, but it seems the person who retweeted this time is different than the person (or people) that have retweeted in the past. I was unable to find other Smash Brothers retweets by the same person on his twitter.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
'swhy my signature is how it is.
It would be boring if it's someone everyone expects.
Gawd dangit ToasterBrains. Everytime I look at your avatar Im all like "Damn, I like what I see" but then when I get to the face its a complete turn off switch. Its hideous and it scares me.

Ill be spending my Sunday playing Xbox 360 games with my friend to help pass the time.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I expect: Gematsu Leak character: Shulk=Chrom>Glee Club Kids (in order of likeliness)

I'd like: I'd rather it be a non-Gematsu character so we are surprised by the reveal. A trailer like Charizard where they start off with a returning character who then leads into the newcomer. That was a 2 minute trailer so its possible!

I'd lol: If its Ridley. The explosion of memes would be glorious. The "I TOLD YOU SO!" threads will give me weeks of entertainment.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Gawd dangit ToasterBrains. Everytime I look at your avatar Im all like "Damn, I like what I see" but then when I get to the face its a complete turn off switch. Its hideous and it scares me.
She's based off a fish with big lips, so she's got big lips, which makes her face look really weird.
So yeah, I agree. I've never been fond of her face, but I'm getting off topic.

I really believe this newcomer isn't anyone gematsu related.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Ill be spending my Sunday playing Xbox 360 games with my friend to help pass the time.
Traitor! I'm just gonna go watch vids of EVO and then the World Cup final.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
The Xenoblade guy tweeted stuff before related to smash bros.

Chromfirmed.
Did he? I've seen people saying other companies have tweeted things as evidence against the tweet having any meaning but I've yet to see people say the Xenoblade writer has tweeted SSB4 stuff in the past.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This is my ideal situation:
3 newcomers are left to be shown this summer. The first two are non-gematsu, and the last one is Shulk.
(I believe he'll be revealed, just not on Monday).

EDIT: Though... Shulk could just be an AT. They have voice actors and stuff too. :troll:

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
She's based off a fish with big lips, so she's got big lips, which makes her face look really weird.
So yeah, I agree. I've never been fond of her face, but I'm getting off topic.

I really believe this newcomer isn't anyone gematsu related.
Its more of the nose and the eyes that are super separated. Plus it looks like she has two mouths. Ew

Traitor! I'm just gonna go watch vids of EVO and then the World Cup final.
Its better than staying home and (Call me an ungrateful child) listening to my mom nag all day. Plus, we play a variety of games such as Naruto, Call of Duty, Project M and Mario Kart. And chances are, my friend is going to want to watch the Melee Evo Finals

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Solution that would appeal to all: BANJO KAZOOIE
Because that would be absolutely crazy, unpredictable, and beloved by all.
Unseen, hype worthy, and not even interfering with the 'game icon' nature of third parties (thusly, four icons in Mario, Sonic, Megman, and Pacman. And then we also get this beauty for the fans!)

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
This is my ideal situation:
3 newcomers are left to be shown this summer. The first two are non-gematsu, and the last one is Shulk.
(I believe he'll be revealed, just not on Monday).

EDIT: Though... Shulk could just be an AT. They have voice actors and stuff too. :troll:
My theory is that the Gematsu Leak are based on trailers they're animating. There's 3 months until October (SSB3DS) and 3 Gematsu characters left. 1 trailer a month and it all adds up. This isn't entirely ideal since I want to be surprised but it kind of makes sense.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Solution that would appeal to all: BANJO KAZOOIE
Because that would be absolutely crazy, unpredictable, and beloved by all.
Unseen, hype worthy, and not even interfering with the 'game icon' nature of third parties (thusly, four icons in Mario, Sonic, Megman, and Pacman. And then we also get this beauty for the fans!)
Does RARE mean anything to you? Or maybe Copyright Infringements?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Does RARE mean anything to you? Or maybe Copyright Infringements?
Wasn't there a statement from a Microsoft spokesman about there not being enough iconic characters for their own Smash game? Maybe they went to Sakurai and asked if they could put Banjo and Kazooie in Smash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom