• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(New)ChallengerApproaching! Roy!(Moved to LSTForums, Decloned RoyV1 is out)

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to keep being away for so long, but for some reason I find it hard to work in the Summer do to the heat among other things(but rest assured, I've got some work done within the last 10 days on this...Just not quite ready to upload it yet. New Wait, Down Taunt, and a start on touching up the cliff animations)

Also, thanks for making the packs with the Roy names, Infernape99. Have you tried these in-game? Just wanna make sure nothing freezes ^w^'

But you also mentioned something about a glitch involving the .pac file? What is it? I hope it's not something that'll be too hard to fix.

EDIT

I might not be on so much over the course of the Summer. Not to alarm anyone, but just to let everyone know. I'm gonna be working on this, but my updates will be a tad more...Sporadic than they've been.

Plus I was entertaining the idea of moving. *shrug* Oh well ^__^''''

Infernape99

Smash Cadet
But you also mentioned something about a glitch involving the .pac file? What is it? I hope it's not something that'll be too hard to fix.[/COLOR]
Thany Finally Ur Back :D
Well The Glitchs Are:
1. Some Animations
2. The SFX, some sounds are replaced in the wrong place

Just that, in the animations i will take some pictures
And In-Game Portraits, No it dosen't freeze

EDIT:
Melee Wi-fi Pack Or Full Pack (Yoshi Import)
http://www.mediafire.com/?6ddesj240px1mju

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Can this be used for Brawl Minus? If it can, i have a problem. The sword trails and the effects (such as the Flare Blade, Double-Edge Dance, Flare Blade, ect) wont work.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Then u are doing something wrong...
Actually, as far as I can see, there may a some sort of issue present when trying to use this .pac when playing Brawl-...
BTW Thany... U Should do a RE-MAKE Of Roy Win2 It looks good but a little bit strange
Mmm. I'll probably try to do that sometime soon...But I still need a nice, clear video for the best reference.(Though not bad for a first attempt, but surely I can improve it.)

Also, I should have an update in a day or two. Just gotta fiddle with some things in the PSA, as well as fix the CliffAttackQuick animation.(Oh silly TransN bone |:3 )

But I have a question to anyone that may know; Is the event in PSA "Eye Event" what I can use to control eye movement? I want to switch up the movement of his eyes in certain animations, but...Well, for example, Wait 1, eyes are always looking to the right. SpecialS1, they are looking straight ahead. The problem? They are both listed as having the same digits under "Eye event"

Also, Infernape, you mentioned certain animations have some sort of problems...Which ones were they? Sometimes certain animations can look messed up when viewed in slow motion.(Even BRawl's normal animations. IceClimber's hammers will jitter around during the taunt that they lay them down, and so does Lucas's snake when tethering with it on 1/4 speeed. Not sure why that is.)

EDIT

One question for anyone with the knowledge who may be reading this, but does anyone know what the maximum size limit one can make a Marth Fitmotion file be withOUT it freezing? (Or...Why when I clean animations, they mostly turn stiff and jagged?)

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
"Eye Event"? Which command is that?

Animations can look odd at 1/4 speed in training because it is just playing at 60fps but with slower interpolation. Whereas in melee, it is actually playing at 15fps.

:phone:

Thany

Smash Journeyman
"Eye Event"? Which command is that?
Actually, there are two different eye event commands.

18000100 is "Eye Event 1" which has only one editable parameter.
18010200 is "Eye Event 2" which has two different parameters to edit. Both of these are found under the "Other" Event List for Roy's subactions.

It says for the first one that it controls eye movement(open, closed), but I assume that doesn't work here. Mainly because of how Roy/Marth's different faces are called up based on their Fitmotion file, instead of PSA.(It's probably for non-modeled face characters, like Peach, or Toon Link)
I've not actually tried out the other one, but it only gives me "Unknown" as the information about it ;___;

(I've also noticed a slew of the Sword Glow event in Roy's PSA...I can only assume that was way back when Isaac's hair was used , via swordglow, to serve as Roy-hair. I assume removing the access Sword Glows could solve that issue of one appearing on his face during certain Marth vs Roy matches?)

Animations can look odd at 1/4 speed in training because it is just playing at 60fps but with slower interpolation. Whereas in melee, it is actually playing at 15fps.
That's a relief. Even my newest Melee taunt has that issue at 1/4 and possibly 1/2 speed.(Lucario's head during an air dodge is another one that came to mind. Pretty silly to watch :3 )

Speaking of which...
OP UPDATE!

New Wait animation, new down taunt, new cliff animations, and new lose pose, with a side of Flare-Blade-in-the-air-having-the-proper-slash-sound on top.
(But I didn't quite get around to making the cliff attacks have sword trails yet ^__^''''...What? I was sleepy ^__^'''''''''''''''''' )

It took two hours to do the new lose pose...I translated the sword away from his hand...Looks choppier than I wanted, but if I could separate that node from his arm for that one animation, or if the X, Y and Z translations actually translated on the X, Y or Z plain when I was doing this, instead of being at some weirdly obscure angle, it would've turned out better .___.'''

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That command had to go bye bye a while back because the game froze with that command with the recent vert and model mod.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I wasn't trying to get rid of it.

I wanted it to be visible, and have an appearance like it was put away. There are no sheathed versions of RoyV3, plus when the sword is sheathed the "Marth"way, we have a blade-less hilt on the wrong part of his hip.

Problem was with the translations being silly. Y-translating it wouldn't simply make it go up or down for example, it would, instead, tend to go off at an angle typically only achievable by cross all three axis at once. ;____; (Made all the more difficult to achieve because of how if I translated it at frame one, the movement of his right hand made it jump around all weirdly, much to my dismay.)

I also wanted to do the same with the ladder animations, as I'm not so sure climbing like that with a sword out is very safe ^___^'''

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Well, you could always do as I did for a Marth based import I'm working on. You could manually make Roy set the sword in his sheath and have it stick by his side.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
^ Glad to hear the problem was resolved.

But I have a question for anyone who might've noticed...But from the Fitmotion that I distribute in this topic, has anybody noticed glitches involving landing after using up B?

I have personally only seen it when observing Fitmotion files that involve shrinking Roy in the animations, as opposed to how I've done it in his .pac file, plus I have never even touched the SpecialHi/SpecialAirHi animations(Up B)

Just wondering. I've studied him pretty closely, but haven't seen anything like this occur from my Fitmotion file.(Apparently, Win2 also had some sort of similar graphical glitch, but from the same fitmotion I mentioned earlier, it was edited so Roy's Win2wait was perfectly still, a la Melee's win poses.)

Just wanna make sure I haven't messed anything up ^_^'''' o____o''''''

Infernape99

Smash Cadet
^ Glad to hear the problem was resolved.

But I have a question for anyone who might've noticed...But from the Fitmotion that I distribute in this topic, has anybody noticed glitches involving landing after using up B?

I have personally only seen it when observing Fitmotion files that involve shrinking Roy in the animations, as opposed to how I've done it in his .pac file, plus I have never even touched the SpecialHi/SpecialAirHi animations(Up B)

Just wondering. I've studied him pretty closely, but haven't seen anything like this occur from my Fitmotion file.(Apparently, Win2 also had some sort of similar graphical glitch, but from the same fitmotion I mentioned earlier, it was edited so Roy's Win2wait was perfectly still, a la Melee's win poses.)

Just wanna make sure I haven't messed anything up ^_^'''' o____o''''''
As i already said you they are some glichts in the motion i tried to fix it but anytime i replace it dosen't replace it i was thinking is the Fit(Marth) i have seen a problem with Neutral B, Jump F, AttackHi4, AttackHi4Hold, AttackHi4Start, AttackAirB, Swing 3, Swing4Hold, SpecialAirS4Lw, SpecialAirS4S, SpecialS4Lw, SpecialS4S
That Ones

Thany

Smash Journeyman
^ Not really sure what to say about the glitches. I have personally not seen anything out of the ordinary, aside from pausing during a certain frame after using Flare Blade, and Roy's...Kinda crippled looking ^_^' Guessing that's Brawl's interpolation at work. ^_^'''

Aside from the SpecialS4Lw (Air, and grounded version) I have not edited anything else that you have listed, so I'm not really sure what's up with the others. Can you supply screenshots/snapshots of what's going on? (Might just be the silly interpolation)

Also,
OP UPDATE.

Hoo boy...Big update time. *takes a deep breath* *begins speaking very fast-paced, like an auctioneer*

1. 3rd normal Side B hit has been revamped.
2. 3rd down Side B hit has been revamped.(Final time, I swear)
3. 4th down side B hit has has its knockback issue fixed(no one else mentioned it before, but I noticed...)
4. Side B's speed has been tweaked to be overall faster, and thus more useful.
5. F-smash's speed has received a very minor speed buff as well.
6. Up tilt now sends the target into the air in front of you and is interrupt-able earlier. Good way to lead into an aerial, if D-Tilt cannot reach.
7. Infernape99's final sidestep dodge animation is included(Funny thing was, I didn't even notice that Roy's arm bent that much in Melee. ^_^' )
8. Win3 FINALLY added.
9. Attack11 has better knockback, making it the "Get out" sort of move it was intended to be.(Range has also been increased, if I did it correctly...May need to re-do it again.)
10. New "Ottotto" animation(Cliff teetering)
11. The cliff attacks now have sword trails
12. Up throw now sends the target straighter into the air, and is a better KO move by a little bit.
13. Here it is...The cream of the crop...
...You know when you fight Roy vs. Marth, and sometimes he it looks like he sneezes out a sword glow?
Well...
I FIXED IT! NO MORE SWORD NOSE! YAY!!!!!
We got Roy without a sword-booger! Going once, going twice, SOLD to you fine people :3 *bangs gavel*

Infernape99

Smash Cadet
^ Not really sure what to say about the glitches. I have personally not seen anything out of the ordinary, aside from pausing during a certain frame after using Flare Blade, and Roy's...Kinda crippled looking ^_^' Guessing that's Brawl's interpolation at work. ^_^'''

Aside from the SpecialS4Lw (Air, and grounded version) I have not edited anything else that you have listed, so I'm not really sure what's up with the others. Can you supply screenshots/snapshots of what's going on? (Might just be the silly interpolation)

Also,
OP UPDATE.

Hoo boy...Big update time. *takes a deep breath* *begins speaking very fast-paced, like an auctioneer*

1. 3rd normal Side B hit has been revamped.
2. 3rd down Side B hit has been revamped.(Final time, I swear)
3. 4th down side B hit has has its knockback issue fixed(no one else mentioned it before, but I noticed...)
4. Side B's speed has been tweaked to be overall faster, and thus more useful.
5. F-smash's speed has received a very minor speed buff as well.
6. Up tilt now sends the target into the air in front of you and is interrupt-able earlier. Good way to lead into an aerial, if D-Tilt cannot reach.
7. Infernape99's final sidestep dodge animation is included(Funny thing was, I didn't even notice that Roy's arm bent that much in Melee. ^_^' )
8. Win3 FINALLY added.
9. Attack11 has better knockback, making it the "Get out" sort of move it was intended to be.(Range has also been increased, if I did it correctly...May need to re-do it again.)
10. New "Ottotto" animation(Cliff teetering)
11. The cliff attacks now have sword trails
12. Up throw now sends the target straighter into the air, and is a better KO move by a little bit.
13. Here it is...The cream of the crop...
...You know when you fight Roy vs. Marth, and sometimes he it looks like he sneezes out a sword glow?
Well...
I FIXED IT! NO MORE SWORD NOSE! YAY!!!!!
We got Roy without a sword-booger! Going once, going twice, SOLD to you fine people :3 *bangs gavel*
Holy Crap! Thany Awesome Animations! :D Hmmm... i have see in one player at least for meh the GFX dosen't show up...

Thany

Smash Journeyman
So...Bringing up the range increasing animations of Marth in Project:M again...

Is there anyone who is in any sort of regular contact with the P:M team? I've PM'd Magus a couple of times, as well as Shanus asking about borrowing those animations for Roy, but am still pending a reply.

I've also asked SDoom about it, he did reply, but sadly he isn't certain about who did most of Marth's P:M animations.(He himself did make the 3rd down hit for Marth's Side B in P:M, as well as gave me permission, but I prefer to use the one I've made...Not sure if P:M Marth's 3rd down side B looks like his Melee or Brawl one, though...)

But anyway, is there anyone else I could ask about using the animations, or is there anyone out there reading this that has some sort of connection to the P:M team?

(...Or are they actually okay with letting whoever use their stuff as long as credit is given? I don't want to integrate their animations into this PSA to only be given a "Nope, get rid of 'em" response down the road. Nothing's worse than getting something cool, then having it taken away ;__; )

EDIT

I've also just mere moments ago PM'd Strong Bad. Here's to hoping something good comes of this <:3c

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
While I haven't seen him post in the thread in forever, I want to believe SHeLL was responsible for Marth's animations. Give him a shot if nothing else works out.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Good news, everyone!

It's a boy! I'm going to name him "Abel" :3

And now for even BETTER news!

This;

Expect upgraded range in later updates :3
(Especially during later P:M demo releases. ;3 )

Thany

Smash Journeyman
^ Just me making a silly joke.

Coincidentally, I really like the name Abel for some reason :3

UPDATE TIME!

Oh dear lord...Where to begin...Ugh...Feeling so "burnt" out by Roy, excuse the pun. >__o

Side B's 4th Up hit revamped; Speed slightly reduced.
Attack11 edited; range improved(Can actually hit low opponents/short ones at frame 4)
AttackS4Hold revamped(Has the jitter that it should have)
3rd Side B neutral slash has been fixed(Minor arm issue at apporixmately frame 34, as well as the sword trail)
Flare Blade's speed after the swing has been fixed(Frame speed restored to normal; was too fast before)
Smashes have had end-lag adjustments(x0.95 for Down and Side, x0.9 for Up)
Up throw's trajectory has been adjusted slightly(Straighter, set to 6D. If anyone knows the direction digits to send the foe DIRECTLY upwards, please do tell ^_^')

P:M Range upgrades included are the following(courtesy of SHeLL, camelot, and possibly others of the P:M team);
Dash Attack,
Down Tilt,
Up Tilt,
All 3 smashes,
All 5 aerials,
Grab and dash grab
Side B's 1st hit,
Side B's 2nd up hit,
Side B's 2nd normal hit(With a slight edit by myself. Spin! Spin! Spin!)
Side B's 3rd up hit
Side B's 4th normal hit(Also edited towards the end by myself. I prefer how it looks in Melee when he gets up ^_^)
Side B's 4th down hit(Again, the end of the animation was edited by me. Mostly his left arm.)

Oy... Well, enjoy Roy everybody. Also, does anyone know how to fix an issue I'm having with BrawlBox? (version 0.64, and v0.63d) where it turns EVERY frame into a keyframe? That's one reason I took so long with this update, despite me actually only contributing a few new animations : / (Holding myself back from killing the computer with my prop Sword of Seals due to BBox frustrations...)

I'd make frame one. Then make the animation go to frame 5. Keyframes exist on frame 1 and 5. Then I save and close it. When I re-open it later(or even a second after I close it) ALL the frames are keyframes >: /

Anyone can use the animations that I have personally contributed to this PSA, but I'd really really like to be credited if you do. I won't send loan-sharks if you forget, but it's preferred that I'm given recognition for my work <:3c (Plus I have BEARS, not sharks. Furry and all...)

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
P:M Range upgrades included are the following(courtesy of SHeLL, camelot, and possibly others of the P:M team);
Dash Attack,
Down Tilt,
Up Tilt,
All 3 smashes,
All 5 aerials,
Grab and dash grab
Side B's 1st hit,
Side B's 2nd up hit,
Side B's 2nd normal hit(With a slight edit by myself. Spin! Spin! Spin!)
Side B's 3rd up hit
Side B's 4th normal hit(Also edited towards the end by myself. I prefer how it looks in Melee when he gets up ^_^)
Side B's 4th down hit(Again, the end of the animation was edited by me. Mostly his left arm.)

Oy... Well, enjoy Roy everybody. Also, does anyone know how to fix an issue I'm having with BrawlBox? (version 0.64, and v0.63d) where it turns EVERY frame into a keyframe? That's one reason I took so long with this update, despite me actually only contributing a few new animations : / (Holding myself back from killing the computer with my proper Sword of Seals due to BBox frustrations...)

I'd make frame one. Then make the animation go to frame 5. Keyframes exist on frame 1 and 5. Then I save and close it. When I re-open it later(or even a second after I close it) ALL the frames are keyframes >: /[/COLOR]

Anyone can use the animations that I have personally contributed to this PSA, but I'd really really like to be credited if you do. I won't send loan-sharks if you forget, but it's preferred that I'm given recognition for my work <:3c (Plus I have BEARS, not sharks. Furry and all...)
What? There's a P:M version?

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Err...Not...No, but SHeLL gave me permission to use the range upgraded animations for Marth in P:M for this PSA.

'fraid this PSA is still centered around B+ ^_^'''

Also...Originally I said I wanted this to be finished by September's end, but it's realistically going to take up until Christmas, if not a little longer : /
Almost an entire year's voyage...

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
To counteract the keyframe issue, you could download version 0.62D (I think that's the version) where the "Clean" function actually works. It removes any unnecessary keyframes. You should be able to find it on the KCMM forums. Or just google it.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Updated.

The biggest remaining obstacles for this PSA is now a couple more animations, unless I keep going back and revamping old ones like I've been doing lately, and some PSA work.

The Fitmotion file is getting pretty chubby now. It's frozen on me when I exceeded 4000kb, but luckily I've got, like 300kb to spare, which should allow me to fill it with the last few necessary animations...AS well as some more, much needed revamps.

Anyway.

The biggest obstacle with this PSA? The Final Smash.

I still plan to release a version that retains "Critical Hit with Fire", but I'm not fond of the idea of his FS being so close to Marth's, personally.
I mean, The Link's share one, and the StarFox trio do as well, but I like to think that Roy's FS would've been a little more original than that....

Then again, this is Sakurai. He's the Willy Wonka of gaming. In good ways and bad... .___.'''

I would like Roy's Final Smash to incorporate the following;

1. Have the camera zoom in on him as he...Does some sort of animation I will think of later while the following effects appear, be they graphical, or moveset property related, as well as an animation that I will make to show when time's up on his FS.(As well as the sparks and sword trails disappearing.)

2. Turn him either invincible, or at least give him super armor (all frames)and allow him to be immune to grabs for the duration. Still debating on this.

3. Have his sword appear to catch fire, using Ike's Eruption GFX if it were possible. Failing that, which I assume it would, then in the following video having those sparks constantly cover the sword in the same fashion would be marvelous. I downloaded this animation by Tormod and looked at it, but much to my dismay, there was no PSA, so I'm not fully certain how he made the effects appear like that. I have slight clue, but I'm not sure of how accurate my hunch is : /

(It's the second attack he uses in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KaNUuVYeTI

4. Having his "Flare Blade" sword trail on every frame of each animation, to further add to the fiery look of it. Even during more mundane things like walking, having the sword's blazing trail follow it.

5. Have each of Roy's attack do x3 their regular damage(No increase in Knockback, just damage.) Debating about adding Fire/sword flags to all sword attacks. Makes sense, given how the thing is going to be on fire...And it...Is a sword. .__.'

6. Have it last as long as WarioMan/Super Sonic(not sure how long that is. Probably 20 seconds? 30 seems a little TOO long to me, now...)

So...Um...I guess that's it for now.

I...Guess I'll just finish this up on my own. I can do animations pretty well nowadays...
But having a PSA'r who could make the above FS come true is something I'd like everyone to keep an eye out for. I did ask around, but with no major success...

I only have a rather limited amount of PSA knowledge, sooo...Well, if we can't find some more help, I'll...Try to whip up something.

Be warned, that me making the FS will result in some sort of Triforce Slash with fire type thing. Maybe a fire wave if I can make that work. Or a fire pillar? Most likely something like "Triforce Slash with Fire" : /

*sigh*

JetAurion

Smash Journeyman
Something that strikes several times similarly to Triforce Slash or Great Aether sounds awesome.

If it's going to be a transforming Final Smash, it should only last about 10 seconds. 20 is a long time, and 30 just makes it broken beyond reason.

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
Ok guys i've downloaded the "Roy stuff over Yoshi" link and it came a folder called "Melee Roy Wi Fi Pack or Roy Full Pack (Yoshi Import)";

My question here is on fighter folder there are a bunch of files that i never seen before like "CliffCatch.chr0" on cliff folder, "EscapeN.chr0" on Dodge folder, and same goes to Down Smash, Left,Right Smash and Up Smash folders. Where i have to put these files? on pf/fighter/melee/yoshi folder? that's pretty confusing and new to me.

EDIT: i've downloaded the main files and i noticed it can be ported over Jiglypuff! That's pretty cool, i've just tested it, and it works nicely (still need some minor buffs but Roy<Jiggz always) so my question now is if i am missing something since there aren't any "Roy stuff over Jigglypuff" on the first page of this thread so i still don't know where to put those files mentioned above or if it's necessary =(

I really apreciated it, you guys are doing a great job, i'm glad there are people like you out there.

And sorry my bad english, i'm from a distant place.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I still feel like you should try the transformation one out for a bit to see how well it works out. If it's too much you could just use Critical Hit, but I think it would be neat to have a swordman transform.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Registered for an account JUST for this Thany. You should be proud :D Just a few observations regarding Roy.

He was my favorite character in Melee, I raged quite hard when he was cut from Brawl in favor of Ike. But, lets just get on with what I observed shall we?

1. His counter is waaay too OP. Not damage wise, but the angle at which they're launched away. I almost got OHKO's with that move every match.

2. His up throw is also OP. I killed Snake with it (albeit at about 150% Its not like I'm playing Sudden Death).

3. I really enjoyed his taunts (old and the new ones). Really took me back.

4. The smoke/fire trail on Roy's Blazer and Blaze Sword were outstanding.

5. Victory Taunts. That's all I need to say. Although in his B victory taunt, I think it is (the one where he swings his sword twice and has his back towards the screen) his cape clips through his (left?) leg.

6. I was about to comment on the strength of his Side and Down smashes, but they seemed to be as strong as Ike's so, I let them slide :p

I was thinking about a few aesthetic changes (when you finish everything else that's important).

I remember when I first attempted to put in a Roy hack, all his animations were messed up. But two animations that I thought should be replicated in some way were: his neutral Air attack, and his second jump.

His neutral Air (normally) has him slashing twice and spinning, the messed up hack (which is completely my fault) had him slash twice, but he didn't spin. He just looked back, slashed, and faced forward. His second Jump, I can't really describe it, but it was slower and less flippy.

Other than that, I think that if some animations were a little more sloppy it would be fine (I mean, he DID have to take the place of Hector at a young age in the middle of training, after Hector... *sniff sniff*)

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the delay my comrades, I was working pretty steadily on Roy since the last update(whereas normally, I take a whole week off before touching him again, this time I resumed work the day after the October update).

I still feel like you should try the transformation one out for a bit to see how well it works out. If it's too much you could just use Critical Hit, but I think it would be neat to have a swordman transform.
Although I don't have a new FS for Roy, I do have some good news in regards to this. I've learned about a few little PSA commands called "If" and "Else" or...Something...

What that means is that I can probably make that FS come true now :3c Yay for learning! :3

Ok thany look there's a guy called slayermarth101 he made a roy psa and the final smash is awesome the final smash is a tornado of fire that hits you. Too awesome you can say him to add it to the Fitmarth you have made
That does sound pretty cool, but I think I'll stick to the powerup for approximately 15 seconds FS instead :3 (But I think I'll check it out at some point. A fire tornado sounds pretty unique)

I want Roy's FS's name to be "Rex Ignis Spatha". Some Latin words thrown together that roughly mean "King Fire Sword"

The name Roy itself has roots in the word King(French, "roi") as well as the colour red(like his hair!)

Registered for an account JUST for this Thany. You should be proud :D Just a few observations regarding Roy.

He was my favorite character in Melee, I raged quite hard when he was cut from Brawl in favor of Ike. But, lets just get on with what I observed shall we?
Awesome. Guess my humble li'l project's getting around :3

I felt the same way, and I avoided "Barlw" (Barr-l'-wuhh) like the plague after playing it the first time...
...Until I came across a vid of a texture hacked Marth and Ike that looked like Roy, and later this very site.
I wanted to bring him back and...Well...Uh...Here I am, I guess. Heh heh ^_^

1. His counter is waaay too OP. Not damage wise, but the angle at which they're launched away. I almost got OHKO's with that move every match.
Hrm...Well, the counter is intended to be the metaphorical "Ace up his sleeve", due to both its power and its difficult timing. I myself don't see it as being overpowered, plus someone from the P:M team was the one who fixed it up(He also gave us the Blazer that can angle)
But I might look into it for the next release.

2. His up throw is also OP. I killed Snake with it (albeit at about 150% Its not like I'm playing Sudden Death).
This was to recreate something in Melee that few people tend to mention. Roy's Up throw was a pretty strong move, although not F-Smash material or anything. I may have accidentally made it a smidge too strong...But throws in Brawl are typically pretty weak, sadly ;__;

3. I really enjoyed his taunts (old and the new ones). Really took me back.
Glad to hear. The Side Taunt happens to be my favorite one. Based on his attack animation with the Sword of Seals from FE6 :3c

4. The smoke/fire trail on Roy's Blazer and Blaze Sword were outstanding.
Heh heh...These were actually done by the previous people that I "inherited" Roy from. But if you like those, you're gonna love how I've redone his entry animation :3

5. Victory Taunts. That's all I need to say. Although in his B victory taunt, I think it is (the one where he swings his sword twice and has his back towards the screen) his cape clips through his (left?) leg.
Mmm.
Each of the 3 victory animations you see there were first drafts. I do intend to re-do all 3 of them for greater accuracy. Not bad for first tries, though. (But the cape itself will clip through things, much like characters with long hair...Just sort of how 3D animation works
6. I was about to comment on the strength of his Side and Down smashes, but they seemed to be as strong as Ike's so, I let them slide :p
In the update I...Literally just uploaded to the OP mere moments before this post, I've had them balanced a bit more. I'm trying to have Roy be the balance between the speedy Marth and the Powerful Ike. Strong, but not Ike-strong. Quick, but not as speed blessed as Marth. The middleman...With fire >:3c

I was thinking about a few aesthetic changes (when you finish everything else that's important).

I remember when I first attempted to put in a Roy hack, all his animations were messed up. But two animations that I thought should be replicated in some way were: his neutral Air attack, and his second jump.

His neutral Air (normally) has him slashing twice and spinning, the messed up hack (which is completely my fault) had him slash twice, but he didn't spin. He just looked back, slashed, and faced forward. His second Jump, I can't really describe it, but it was slower and less flippy.
This is what happens when people try to resize Roy by editing the animations and doing something to his YRotN bone. Anything that used the YRotN bone normally would animate without its influence on the animation.
I happen to use PSA to resize Roy, under his attributes. No animation glitches of that nature occur this way, plus it saves filesize in the Fitmotion file.

But I kinda wanna leave those anims as they are though...But I do have a secret variant of Roy I'm going to include in the download when everything's all done that has him more de-cloned. I do want the less clone-y onw to have an aerial that looks like a somersault in the air with a sword...Like Zero from the MMX and MMZ series. Plus a side B that shoots a trail of flames, and and some new tricks here and there.

Other than that, I think that if some animations were a little more sloppy it would be fine (I mean, he DID have to take the place of Hector at a young age in the middle of training, after Hector... *sniff sniff*)
Heh. True, but FE6 was quite a while ago. Roy's had time to refine his technique by now :3

Oh yeah. I updated Roy, by the way. Everyone grab some new Roy goodies :3

FUNFACT: During the credits for FE6, the creators of the game thank "Masahiro Sakurai and the Smash Bros DX Team" in big, English letters.

Top Bottom