• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(New)ChallengerApproaching! Roy!(Moved to LSTForums, Decloned RoyV1 is out)

Thany

Smash Journeyman
1. Roy's Red Costume ended up looking like ROB's Pink costume. It was weird, it was awkward, and most importantly I never play Red Roy, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

That's because ROB has no Fit???01 costume. ROB's default is his red, so he has no need for a 01 costume digit. Rename it to 06 and you're good to go. The same applies for any character whose default costume is their team colour.

01 is red, 02 is green, 03 is blue. If a character has their default costume be a team colour, they will not have one of these, but will have a Fit???06.
(Mario, Diddy, ROB have no 01, but have a 06. Link, Yoshi, Bowser have no 02, but have a 06. Sonic, Lucario,...Acually, Lucario and Sonic only have 5 costumes total, and thus no Fit???06...)

2. Roy's heavy damage knock up cry of pain isn't him yelling oink (or is it boink? yoink?) it's him yelling HIYA! Gets slightly irritating when you hear him say that every time you knock him up and he doesn't die, but instead yells HIYA.
In the current public build of my Roy, due to something I did not forsee with his SFX, I had to map certain hurt SFX to certain damage-flying animations. He shouldn't be yelling like that unless he hits the screen if you are using my PSA. I intend to fix his SFX when BBox can manage them.

*adds to rambling*
More skill and timing? You do know that it's already impossible for someone who didn't EXCLUSIVELY play Roy in Melee to pick him up and do his Sword Dance/Dancing Blade/Whatever in brawl?
Double-Edge Dance, or if you want to go by the Japanese name, it was the same as Marth's "Marvelous Combination"...I prefer the localized names, myself.

It isn't that hard, it just requires practice, unlike Brawl Marth's which is just a button mash-fest. Roy's a character that one needs practice to be good with... And I did happen to play Marth, both Links, Jigglypuff and the Mario Bros in Melee with a side of Peach as well, I just played Roy the most.

Well, regardless, the P:M version is going to have it, but probably not the other ones. Maybe Brawl+, as I'd prefer it that way and I'm one of a small group that still play it it seems *shrug*

Plus, with it the hitlag that makes it trickier to use would further separate Brawl Marth from Roy.

Marth's has such low hitlag on the first 3 hits that it's easier to use.
Roy's having hitlag makes it a little more difficult to use.

Marth's is lightning quick, but can only KO foes with the last hit(and its 3rd down spike may as well not exist anymore...)
Roy's has more utility to it, and can KO with two of the 3rd hits as well as all 3 of the 4th hits.(3rd normal hit is going to be stronger in the next public release. His 3rd up hit will also spike foes forward as well.)

*adds personal rambling*
I saw Roy's new final smash a week ago or so. Was an unexpected treat, it was. Great start up animation, ridiculous amount of sword strikes, and awesome end animation. My only problem is the sword strikes. While the amount isn't a problem, what IS is that your opponent can be lucky enough and walk out of the end of the final smash. An aesthetic change you could consider is zooming in on Roy when he does his start up animation. Would make it look Brawl Legit (I just made a term ^^).
The lack of a zoom is a personal thing. I don't like Final smashes to begin with, so I'd prefer to cut down on the unnecessary, obstructive cinematics. Plus, with the lack of a zoom, it feels more like there's an element of surprise to when it's coming.

And the foe can escape at higher percents because Marth doesn't really seem to have anything to pin the foe in place like Ike's FS or the Link's. The idea was to give it minimal knockback, but setting it to "0" would prevent the foe from being 'hurt' by it in the sense that they would not even flinch and could walk out of it. It's pretty much a KO if it hits a lower damage foe, but and higher damage, it's not so great. Unique in that regards.

*shrug* Maybe I will put a zoom on it, for the sake of authenticity...I dunno. FS's mean very little to me ._.

Anyway, only about 20-22 more animations left to do, and I've finally gotten back to working on that model. I had actually started rigging it earlier today after re-mapping its textures a billion times due to Brawl's pickyness of texture sizes...

I intend to have the model out before the next(and probably final) PSA update.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

That's because ROB has no Fit???01 costume. ROB's default is his red, so he has no need for a 01 costume digit. Rename it to 06 and you're good to go. The same applies for any character whose default costume is their team colour.

01 is red, 02 is green, 03 is blue. If a character has their default costume be a team colour, they will not have one of these, but will have a Fit???06.
(Mario, Diddy, ROB have no 01, but have a 06. Link, Yoshi, Bowser have no 02, but have a 06. Sonic, Lucario,...Acually, Lucario and Sonic only have 5 costumes total, and thus no Fit???06...)

In the current public build of my Roy, due to something I did not forsee with his SFX, I had to map certain hurt SFX to certain damage-flying animations. He shouldn't be yelling like that unless he hits the screen if you are using my PSA. I intend to fix his SFX when BBox can manage them.

Double-Edge Dance, or if you want to go by the Japanese name, it was the same as Marth's "Marvelous Combination"...I prefer the localized names, myself.

It isn't that hard, it just requires practice, unlike Brawl Marth's which is just a button mash-fest. Roy's a character that one needs practice to be good with... And I did happen to play Marth, both Links, Jigglypuff and the Mario Bros in Melee with a side of Peach as well, I just played Roy the most.

Well, regardless, the P:M version is going to have it, but probably not the other ones. Maybe Brawl+, as I'd prefer it that way and I'm one of a small group that still play it it seems *shrug*

Plus, with it the hitlag that makes it trickier to use would further separate Brawl Marth from Roy.

Marth's has such low hitlag on the first 3 hits that it's easier to use.
Roy's having hitlag makes it a little more difficult to use.

Marth's is lightning quick, but can only KO foes with the last hit(and its 3rd down spike may as well not exist anymore...)
Roy's has more utility to it, and can KO with two of the 3rd hits as well as all 3 of the 4th hits.(3rd normal hit is going to be stronger in the next public release. His 3rd up hit will also spike foes forward as well.)

The lack of a zoom is a personal thing. I don't like Final smashes to begin with, so I'd prefer to cut down on the unnecessary, obstructive cinematics. Plus, with the lack of a zoom, it feels more like there's an element of surprise to when it's coming.

And the foe can escape at higher percents because Marth doesn't really seem to have anything to pin the foe in place like Ike's FS or the Link's. The idea was to give it minimal knockback, but setting it to "0" would prevent the foe from being 'hurt' by it in the sense that they would not even flinch and could walk out of it. It's pretty much a KO if it hits a lower damage foe, but and higher damage, it's not so great. Unique in that regards.

*shrug* Maybe I will put a zoom on it, for the sake of authenticity...I dunno. FS's mean very little to me ._.

Anyway, only about 20-22 more animations left to do, and I've finally gotten back to working on that model. I had actually started rigging it earlier today after re-mapping its textures a billion times due to Brawl's pickyness of texture sizes...

I intend to have the model out before the next(and probably final) PSA update.
Thank you mistress. BTW, would it be possible for you to upload a video of Roy's FS? Haven't been able to play Brawl to use him ;_;

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I actually figured out that problem with ROBs model but forgot to fix it O.O

And the rest is your decision.

Nice to see that you're getting further with the animating part.

*scurries to fix files*

Oh and thanks for the info about Link and the others not having certain 00 number thingies. I was wondering what was wrong with my Megaman...

*EDIT*: I can't read to save my life O.O Don't worry about my problem... Wow, I feel stupid.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Thank you mistress. BTW, would it be possible for you to upload a video of Roy's FS? Haven't been able to play Brawl to use him ;_;
I...Erm....Kinda don't really have anything to make videos. That's why Wolfric's been making the vids of my work this whole time ^_^'''

I might be able to get someone to. Not sure when, though...

Hey, hey! Everyone! Look at this link! I've FINALLY started rigging the custom Roy model! Yay!
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=43708.msg954632#msg954632

Hooray! Woo! Yeah! Whee! Additional generic cheer! Yeah! :3c

TehSqueeMistro

Smash Apprentice
Very nice so far, but looking at the bottom of his face from the side, it seems very angular I guess you could say?(not really sure how to put it) It kinda makes his chin seem very pointed to me.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
*vacuums thread* I am not doing a very good job of maintaining this topic .__.

If you happen to frequent KC:MM's Fire Emblem model thread, you've probably already seen an update to my Roy model progress that I made a little while back, but if not I'll put a link here to my post.

The previews are actually kinda dated, as I've gotten everything rigged now except for his cape and I still need to fix a few things, but I've yet to nab more snapshots of my current progress...I did successfully give him his own shadow though, it's not longer Marth's but...A vertex edit of Marth's. ^_^'

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=43708.msg960719#msg960719
I kinda forgot about this place for a bit, actually... Smashboards isn't exactly rustling with activity for Brawl mods anymore. I was thinking about making a new thread on KC:MM, but I'm still pondering that decision.

I've almost got all of this Roy's animations done. I only need to make 9 more at this point. They're his Melee item throws... I'll try to work up the will to get those done and...Stuff.

I've also finally gotten around to trying to use BRSTM's for Roy's SFX, and... It didn't work. In-game BRSTMs worked just fine, but the ones with his SFX were all crackly and horrible sounding, and one would freeze whenever it was played.

Sorry Gecko fans. I guess it's Riivolution or bust, unless I royally screwed something up .__.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Just popping in to give an update.

Roy is mostly complete now, so I've begun splitting Roy into separate versions based on the different gameplay mods like B-, vBrawl, etc. Expect the final release in about a week or two. I'll make another post then, and I'll put it on the Brawl Vault (Then start my own de-cloned version) :3

Also, I now see why people have had such difficulty with Roy's side B's timing. This is a moveset intended for Brawl+ currently, but I assume most people play him in vBrawl...

The Side B's hitlag was too great for vBrawl/B-, and I had only noticed this today as I was making the vBrawl version. In Brawl+, the hitlag is the same whether or not you hit a foe, or swing at the air, (B+'s codes influence this partly) but in vBrawl, if the hit connects, it becomes as difficult to time as Melee's.

Uh...That's all for now, I guess. Just wanted to let you all know that this is still alive. Also I've got his SFX re-done. I probably won't try to put his SFX over other characters for a little bit, though...

This journey of well over a year is finally drawing to a close...

ryuunosuke

Smash Rookie
Wow, I can't believe your almost done with him... Its crazy, almost complete... Kudos to you Thany...

Heh, Roy has sure come a long way...

Thany

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to disappoint, but I'm afraid I must take some more time on Roy. I'll get back to this later in this post.
My question is one about you now, and not Roy. Are you kinda sad that it's coming to a close now?
I kind of do, actually. It's like...Imagine that there's something you REALLY want, and you devote a lot of time and energy to achieving it. Then when you finally get it, it's like "Yes! I have it! After all this time!....Now what...?"

But I've still got my own de-cloned Roy to make, though. Guess that means my journey gets a sequel :3

"Thany 'n Friends 2: The de-clone-ining" ...Except that part of that title makes little sense as I'm largely doing this on my own...

I really feel that I need to say this, but as far as a de-cloned Roy goes, I can't really see him being that different if he were in Brawl normally. The clones that were kept weren't given very large changes:

Falco has some changes, but he's still really too similar to Fox in my opinion.
Ganondorf was changed a lot more, but again, he's still pretty Captain Falcon-y.
Young/ToonLink(I will count them as the same character for the sake of this conversation) has some new attacks, but lost many other qualities that would've made him stand out from Link more, cartoonish proportions aside, like Fire Arrows , the rapid jab attack, bombs that hit multiple times, the Milk Drink taunt(Although, this is a personal thing)

I get the feeling that my Roy is a pretty good estimate of how he would've been based on the above:

Overhead swing Flare Blade versus Thrusting Shield Breaker.
Slower side B with more utility that can KO on the 3rd hits, instead of needing all 4.
His side B having some different attacks from Marth's.
Side B having use for recovery, whereas Brawl Marth can use it once, and then need S.Breaker or Dolphin Slash.
His counter which was unique within itself, both function and animation.
All the fire attacks he has.
A different looking single jab that knocks foes a static distance away.
His Up-tilt having a similar function to his D-tilt.

He was a clone of Melee Marth, not Brawl Marth after all, so I really can't say I'd call my current Roy a full "clone". ^_^' But rest assured, I've got some pretty cool ideas in mind for him, especially for his new Side B, U-Air and smash attacks. >:3c

Wow, I can't believe your almost done with him... Its crazy, almost complete... Kudos to you Thany...

*Roy 'evolution' images*

Heh, Roy has sure come a long way...
I can still recall a time where I thought the Isaac hair Roy was THE perfect Roy. Then I thought BY's RoyV2 was perfect(Heck, I still think V2 is an awesome looking vertex, even compared to other Roy models). And now we have my custom model. Congratulations! Your Roy has evolved into...Uh...Roy! ^_^'

I don't think I'll try to set a date for when this will be complete, I keep spotting some minor flaws here and there and fixing them. I do have him split into a proper vBrawl version, the same Brawl+ version he's been all along, a Brawl- version, and even a version suited to P:M based on PM:Demo2 Marth's build.

I'm actually trying for a better/more unique Final Smash that makes use of his sword's abilities from FE6. It's an idea I've been thinking about for a while now, but I figure since everything else is done, I should give it the ol' College-try.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Those are some interesting ideas. I've actually made a start on my de-cloned Roy as we speak.

I've gotta say...Roy without the Double Edge Dance is interesting at first, but I dunno if I like the new Side B I gave him very much now that I'm actually seeing it in-game instead of on metaphorical paper... I'll certainly give the new Side B a chance for a bit, but may end up scratching it and going back to the ol' familiar one(even though most people would probably expect that to be changed to 'de-clone' him ._.')

~So, anyway, here's the thing about my delaying Melee-y Roy's release~

I've actually been waiting on someone who had agreed to do a video for the final release. Problem is, he's busy with college, which means I won't be able to have the big, extravagant video I wanted to have to end this lengthy endeavour...Or any video in a timely manner : /

The best the vid can be with his time constraints is just showing off a match, Roy's new entry animation, possibly a vid showing the new Final Smash, his remade Win animations, and the custom Brawl- Win and Lose poses I made for the B- version.

I've also redone his SFX, so the included .sawnd files will need to be used in lieu of the old SFX. His Win animations have also been properly lip synched so that his mouth movements match up with his Win quotes(Riivolution only, for obvious reasons)

I did want to have something big and fancy that shows off a visual comparison between Marth and Roy as well, but that had to be axed from the plans...

But, hey! Lookie here!

http://thany-the-furry.deviantart.com/gallery/

I've recently made a DeviantArt account and learned how to make GIFs, so this can be a little sneak peak at some of the stuff I've fixed/remade before I can manage to release Roy. I may end up having to release him without an actual video preview at this rate, though .__.'

Vkrm

Smash Lord
This is really amazing. It must have taken countless hours to get everything looking right.

:phone:

Alses

Smash Apprentice
I can't make a super fancy video but I can make a video showing Roy off if you'd like ^^ It'd be the gecko Brawl+ Version I guess :o I wanna try the new side B.. Even if its not like melee it'd be nice to have the option for in the final release :D Some people prefer melee falco, some prefer brawl falco so a slightly declone-ified Roy would be just as popular ^^ even if its only one move at the moment lol

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Hey everyone! Roy's done! Wheeee!

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=29268&Moderated=All&facebook=true

I was expecting I'd have more to say about than this ^_^'

Enjoy!
Thany, does Roy:M fit the standards?

Nah JK, I gotta try it out, but this is SO MUCH WIN

BTW, I want to replace Jiggs (so I can Marth vs. Roy vs. Ike; plus, none of my crew plays Jiggs anyways :awesome:) and by that, I mean replacing her. What do I have to do? Any clue about how to edit my current smashbros_sound.bsrar, and what do I need to replace there? I don't want to get a new one because this one has Japanese voices and Melee hit SFX, and I don't want to lose them.

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice
BTW, I want to replace Jiggs (so I can Marth vs. Roy vs. Ike; plus, none of my crew plays Jiggs anyways :awesome:) and by that, I mean replacing her. What do I have to do? Any clue about how to edit my current smashbros_sound.bsrar, and what do I need to replace there? I don't want to get a new one because this one has Japanese voices and Melee hit SFX, and I don't want to lose them.
I'd also love to learn how to do this, except that I want to replace Sonic. I'm brand new to Brawl hacking and I want to try out this PSA for myself.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kudos for completing this! Roy seems at least stable and good now at his current form but I gotta love the proper FS that throwbacks to his game. (-l<>l-)

So what will be the next step Thany?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Looks like I'm a few days late, but whatever. Awesome job, Thany!

Just a question.. I was just poking around the motionetc file and saw Wait2. You aren't using Wait2, right?

I mean, nothing is really WRONG with it. It's perfect... Aside from Roy's face disappearing in the last five frames...

Also, if you ever get possessed to make a new wait animation, there is one that I would suggest.

If you've ever seen Dantarion's old Roy over the Debug Mario slot, you can see that Roy does a little "cape-flip thingy". Would be fun to see that. Just a suggestion. Heck, I don't think I can even find it anymore....

luigiturd

Smash Rookie
Hey, :/ I um well. Didnt neccisarily steal it. A guy called roy16 told me it was his. sent me a link and told meh to upload it. so i didnt know what to do so i posted it. I tried covering for him cuz he told me to beware of a thany stealing his ideas and pass it on as me making it. SORRY tell the people on brawlvault that too like albifikia

ds22

Smash Lord
Hey, :/ I um well. Didnt neccisarily steal it. A guy called roy16 told me it was his. sent me a link and told meh to upload it. so i didnt know what to do so i posted it. I tried covering for him cuz he told me to beware of a thany stealing his ideas and pass it on as me making it. SORRY tell the people on brawlvault that too like albifikia
Not sure if trolling or actually thinks people are that stupid.

Either way, your presence is not wanted in this thread, so please leave it and never return.

KilroyWO

Smash Rookie
Is there a video or step-by-step instructions on how to put Roy over X character, specifically Ness? The files that Thany provides do have instructions, but for someone who doesn't know what they're doing in regard to hacking Brawl past simply copy+pasting .pac files, it's a bit hard to follow. >_>

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
They do, but you need to add certain codes into the .GCT.
what program is reccomended to do this correctly?
Is there a video or step-by-step instructions on how to put Roy over X character, specifically Ness? The files that Thany provides do have instructions, but for someone who doesn't know what they're doing in regard to hacking Brawl past simply copy+pasting .pac files, it's a bit hard to follow. >_>
I agree, I'd really appreciate a simple guide for how to do this. Maybe someone can link to a guide already out there?

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
GCTAnalyzer, by Mewtwo2000, is your solution.

And Thany, Roy's Project M version cannot L-Cancel in 2.5b. It couldn't in 2.5 either.
Ah thank you, but it seems I've failed at life... upon using said program to add the codes for porting over Pit... my game will boot to a black screen.

I can provide my custom gct here in case someone may be willing to help add the codes to port Roy over Pit: http://www.mediafire.com/?u3nhc04eb30f4t0
-PS. it is not the stock gct, its the gct from the 5.3m stage expansion for 2.5b
-Pit has 2 Jab-
04B0B74C 00000000

-Pit has 0 Rapidjab-
04B0B750 00000000

-Pit has 1 Multijump-
04B0B75C 00000001

-Pit has 0 Glide-
04B0B760 00000000

-Pit has Marth's Soundbank-
4A000000 80AD89E0
1400005C 00000013
E0000000 80008000

-Pit has no entry-
00AD8047 00000000

-Pit has no result-
00AD807F 00000000
Also, if someone does help, would you kindly explain how you were sucessful in adding the codes to the gct?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to add the codes using ocarina code manager. But now when I try to play with Roy over Pit, the game frezes right after the start of the match (after the announcer says "3 2 1 GO!") anyone have any clue what's causing this?

EDIT EDIT: I just saw this on the Brawl Vault page for the mod:
Jan 27th(2013) edit: Apparently the P:M version cannot be .rel ported when playing Demo 2.5. Not sure about how it works when played on Marth. I have no idea as to why this is.
Well, I hope that this can somehow be fixed in the future. I guess for now my dream of playing Ike vs Marth vs Roy will be on hold. I'll just replace Roy over Marth, which should work just fine in 2.5b, although I can't get the SFX to work in 2.5b.

DerangedCheese64

Smash Rookie
I would appreciate this aswell being completely new to hacking on smash im a bit lost on what to do, im trying to do this on standard brawl

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Hey Thany, I believe I know why PM Roy doesn't work in 2.5 (and by extension 2.5b) if he is .rel ported.

2.5b Marth has a different .rel, so you have to re-edit the data inside of it. I just tried it by porting PM 2.5b Marth over Jigglypuff and it worked in game (and he could L-cancel again). Hope that helps!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Hey Thany, I believe I know why PM Roy doesn't work in 2.5 (and by extension 2.5b) if he is .rel ported.

2.5b Marth has a different .rel, so you have to re-edit the data inside of it. I just tried it by porting PM 2.5b Marth over Jigglypuff and it worked in game (and he could L-cancel again). Hope that helps!
Could you share or is that just the default PM Marth rel?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
which version of project m are the .rels supported for?

could you upload the rel for pit, Please? Or all the compatible .rels?
The ones included work with 2.1 (and all other Brawl hacks), as far as I know.

I literally just made the Jigglypuff file today and don't have any other 2.5 compatible ones made. If I can find some time (or if I'm not beaten to it), I'll make a Pit .rel for you.

Top Bottom