• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challenger Approaching: Little Mac Joins Smash Wii U & 3DS Cast!

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Devs being limited to the Wii U refers to the fact that Wii U's processing power is only somewhat better than the PS3/360. if the Wii U were on par with the likes of PS4/XBO, SSB4 could have seen a major change in terms of graphical style.

As for YL, i've already made my case several times. Going by your standards, YL would fit well seeing as all the Links (Or any Zelda related characters for that matter) since SSBB have not been OoT related. Don'[t act like he's completely irrelevant. OoT 3D wasn't that long ago not to mention the OoT incarnation of Link is arguably the most popular in the franchise. My 2 cents.
No, it wouldn't. Like I said, there really isn't much room if you want to preserve the integrity of the character designs.

Going by my standards? I think you've completely misunderstood me lol. Please, read my post again and see if you can pick up something different this time.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I know, I said I would cut Nintendo some slack given that the Wii U is only a bit more powerful then the PS3/360.

I made my case for YL several time already (See above post).

Yea I realized that after I made my post. I skimmed through and didn't catch all of the replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No, it wouldn't. Like I said, there really isn't much room if you want to preserve the integrity of the character designs.

Going by my standards? I think you've completely misunderstood me lol. Please, read my post again and see if you can pick up something different this time.
Integity of the characters? You lost me my friend.

No, I didn't misunderstand what you said. My point stand's still. YL being in SSB4 is perfect seeing as how every other Zelda character is non OoT. Toon Link is technically is like Young Link yes but since were going by the logic of "Smash should be a celebration of all Nintendo games", YL would make perfect sense seeing as OoT Link is the most popular Link of them all. Really, that's just my opinion and if you don't agree, that's fine and dandy. We live in a free world after all.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Integity of the characters? You lost me my friend.

No, I didn't misunderstand what you said. My point stand's still. YL being in SSB4 is perfect seeing as how every other Zelda character is non OoT. Toon Link is technically is like Young Link yes but since were going by the logic of "Smash should be a celebration of all Nintendo games", YL would make perfect sense seeing as OoT Link is the most popular Link of them all. Really, that's just my opinion and if you don't agree, that's fine and dandy. We live in a free world after all.
Doesn't Link represent all "realistic" Links while Toon Link represents all "cel-shaded/cartoonish" Links? Link is shown having Navi fly around him as a taunt, for example, something Twilight Princess Link couldn't do. I'd say he represents OoT and any other non-Toon Link game. When it comes to Toon Link, the fact that Conductor Link on the Spirit Tracks stage gets switched with Alfonzo when Toon Link is in play further supports the idea of Toon Link representing ALL "toon" incarnations of Link. Multiple birds covered with two stones, it seems.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Saw this coming since they showed the boxing stage in the first trailer, but still, hype. Looking like a fun one to play as :). Hoping we get some super-punchout remix music for his stage (*cough* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5KGhHQ1HQ8*cough*) , and maybe one of his colors can be a re-skin of his super punchout appearance? They've done it with other characters before, such as wario.

Last edited:

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Doesn't Link represent all "realistic" Links while Toon Link represents all "cel-shaded/cartoonish" Links? Link is shown having Navi fly around him as a taunt, for example, something Twilight Princess Link couldn't do. I'd say he represents OoT and any other non-Toon Link game. When it comes to Toon Link, the fact that Conductor Link on the Spirit Tracks stage gets switched with Alfonzo when Toon Link is in play further supports the idea of Toon Link representing ALL "toon" incarnations of Link. Multiple birds covered with two stones, it seems.

Christ, this guy gets what I was saying. Please, SMX, don't twist what I said into something I clearly didn't say.

As for the integrity of the character: What exactly do you expect when you're talking about a "graphical overhaul"? Smash needs an art style that allows every character to stay true to their own appearance. If we put everything into the SS art style, for example, Samus, Snake, Marth, etc would not fit in at all. If they used a hyper realistic art style, none of the cartoony characters like Mario, Kirby, etc would fit. They need to stick to a neutral art style that allows each character to faithfully represent themselves while also being unified. There aren't that many options when you're trying to not make several characters look incredibly awkward. Just look at PSASBR, again, to see an example of how awkward it looks when you pit a realistic looking character against a character that is the polar opposite, all on a stage that tries to make some strange middle ground.

The 3DS version of Smash 4 is about the best they can do when it comes to "graphical overhaul" without compromising the appearance of each character so they don't look like they don't belong.

That said, I honestly don't get where people are getting the whole Brawl v2 vibe from. Smash 4 looks NOTHING like Brawl.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've already
Christ, this guy gets what I was saying. Please, SMX, don't twist what I said into something I clearly didn't say.

As for the integrity of the character: What exactly do you expect when you're talking about a "graphical overhaul"? Smash needs an art style that allows every character to stay true to their own appearance. If we put everything into the SS art style, for example, Samus, Snake, Marth, etc would not fit in at all. If they used a hyper realistic art style, none of the cartoony characters like Mario, Kirby, etc would fit. They need to stick to a neutral art style that allows each character to faithfully represent themselves while also being unified. There aren't that many options when you're trying to not make several characters look incredibly awkward. Just look at PSASBR, again, to see an example of how awkward it looks when you pit a realistic looking character against a character that is the polar opposite, all on a stage that tries to make some strange middle ground.

The 3DS version of Smash 4 is about the best they can do when it comes to "graphical overhaul" without compromising the appearance of each character so they don't look like they don't belong.

That said, I honestly don't get where people are getting the whole Brawl v2 vibe from. Smash 4 looks NOTHING like Brawl.
I'm not twisting what your saying. I don't buy the whole Link represents all the Links and Toon Links represent all the cel shaded Links. If that were the case, just get one Link to do all of that. It's just some straight up BS.

All I meant when I said SSB4 needed a graphical change is that it needed something different to stand out from 64, Melee, and Brawl. The 3DS is doing a pretty good job with it. The Wii U I can understand given it's limitations. It doesn't have to look super hyper realistic but it should be different. I will give the Wii U version credit though since they made an attempt to distinguish itself from Brawl. I dubbed it "Brawl V2" due to it looking a lot like Brawl. I mean really, just look at the Battlefield stage in SSB4. It's almost like a carbon copy of Brawl's albeit the background of the stage. Maybe that's just quick thinking on my part and maybe my perception will change as time goes on but that's my impression right now given the roster, stages, etc...

"SSB4 looks nothing like Brawl" Are you joking? Albeit a more cartoony change as opposed to Brawl's more realistic look, SSB4 looks a lot like Brawl's as shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6la3f5tOw0

I don't see how you can't make the comparison.

Just so you know, i'm not hating on the game. I've been a Smash fan ever since the original SSB64 days and i'll continue to play all future Smash games. I'm just dissapointed in the lack of change from Brawl when it comes to the roster, some stages, and the overall gameplay. Then again, that's just how I feel about the game. This doesn't mean everyone else has to share the same opinion as me. If you think SSB4 is the greatest innovation that humanity has even bare witnessed (obvious hyperbole), that's just dandy. That's all I want to say here really. I don't have the aptitude to continue on with this.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
"I'm not twisting what your saying. I don't buy the whole Link represents all the Links and Toon Links represent all the cel shaded Links. If that were the case, just get one Link to do all of that. It's just some straight up BS."

Why not? The TL art style has established itself as an important part of the Zelda franchise, and has harboured more than a handful of great games. It's different enough from regular Link that one Link couldn't possibly reflect both sides of Zelda. The Zelda series is special in this way.

"All I meant when I said SSB4 needed a graphical change is that it needed something different to stand out from 64, Melee, and Brawl."

And like I said, there aren't many options for art direction and graphical prowess is beginning to plateau. If you gave a random person with no knowledge of Smash four pictures, each representing one of the four Smash games, I'm fairly confident they could tell you which one came before the other. Seriously, if you think Smash 4 is bad, what do you think the hypothetical Smash 5 is going to be like? The changes to the graphics will likely be even more marginal.

" The 3DS is doing a pretty good job with it. The Wii U I can understand given it's limitations."

The only reason why the 3DS version doesn't look like the Wii U version is because of the 3DS's limitations. I highly doubt the Wii U version even begins to push the hardware.

"It doesn't have to look super hyper realistic but it should be different. I will give the Wii U version credit though since they made an attempt to distinguish itself from Brawl. I dubbed it "Brawl V2" due to it looking a lot like Brawl. I mean really, just look at the Battlefield stage in SSB4. It's almost like a carbon copy of Brawl's albeit the background of the stage. Maybe that's just quick thinking on my part and maybe my perception will change as time goes on but that's my impression right now given the roster, stages, etc..."

> Carbon copies.

The Battlefield template has never changed. Medium sized floor and three platforms. That's Battlefield. Now take a good long look at those stages and tell me again that they're carbon copies.

""SSB4 looks nothing like Brawl" Are you joking? Albeit a more cartoony change as opposed to Brawl's more realistic look, SSB4 looks a lot like Brawl's as shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6la3f5tOw0

I don't see how you can't make the comparison."

Yes, the difference may be marginal, but it's also a difference as clear as night and day. Where Brawl is much more saturated, darker, and more subdued, Smash 4 is much more colourful, vibrant, and eye catching, though the HD visuals are definitely an asset in Smash 4's favour. Again, there is very little wiggle room for art direction. I keep saying this over and over. The developers have to give the game its own aesthetic while making sure each character's aesthetics are kept intact. With 64, they were heavily limited, but it established the series. Melee worked on top of 64, gave the fighters more polygons, but the art direction was much the same. Brawl subdued the colour of Melee and 64 in favour of intricate textures, saturation, and more in an attempt to make them look more realistic while working within the limits of the Wii (which, as you may know, was more or less the same as the GC). Now, with the Wii U, they take Brawl's textures and make them even more intricate, while adding in the colour Brawl lost making the transition from Melee. It's a natural evolution - but more than that, it's the best of Melee and Brawl. Taking the best parts of the aesthetics from each of its predecessors in order to establish itself as its own entity. It isn't Brawl v2, nor is it Melee v2. It's Smash 4.

"Just so you know, i'm not hating on the game. I've been a Smash fan ever since the original SSB64 days and i'll continue to play all future Smash games. I'm just disapointed in the lack of change from Brawl when it comes to the roster, some stages, and the overall gameplay. Then again, that's just how I feel about the game. This doesn't mean everyone else has to share the same opinion as me. If you think SSB4 is the greatest innovation that humanity has even bare witnessed (obvious hyperbole), that's just dandy. That's all I want to say here really. I don't have the aptitude to continue on with this"

And I'm not hating on you. It's just a case of differing opinions - and clearly, like all discussions involving only opinions, this isn't going to resolve.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Devs being limited to the Wii U refers to the fact that Wii U's processing power is only somewhat better than the PS3/360. if the Wii U were on par with the likes of PS4/XBO, SSB4 could have seen a major change in terms of graphical style.

As for YL, i've already made my case several times. Going by your standards, YL would fit well seeing as all the Links (Or any Zelda related characters for that matter) since SSBB have not been OoT related. Don'[t act like he's completely irrelevant. OoT 3D wasn't that long ago not to mention the OoT incarnation of Link is arguably the most popular in the franchise. My 2 cents.

Dude then don't play the f'in game then man. Geez.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Dude then don't play the f'in game then man. Geez.
Read what I said, i'm not hating on the game, I was just dissapointed in a few aspects of the games.

Every Smash game always delivers.

niffyjiffy

Smash Cadet
I REALLY hope this guy doesn't end up a low tier. The hype would all be a disappointment. I know all of my friends plan to main him when the game comes out.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I REALLY hope this guy doesn't end up a low tier. The hype would all be a disappointment. I know all of my friends plan to main him when the game comes out.
Anyone being low tier is a disappointment. We should hope that the game is balanced enough that the difference between low or high tier is small relative to player skill. Then the lil mac mains can have fun and win tournaments even if there's a slight disadvantage (or disadvantages are distributed well across matchups).

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Judging from what we see, I don't think Little Mac will be low tier. Especially if the OHKO is truly good.

Frage

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fragery
3DS FC
1349-4646-1151
Easier said than done. He has some quick dodges and can counterattack very quickly. Good players would avoid getting grabbed as much as possible. It's like saying that beating Fox is easy because he is easily gimped except that he has the best neutral game in Melee. I'm sure that he'll have a strong neutral game thanks to his armor and crouched run. It is true that you have to get him off stage as soon as possible though due to his bad recovery. It's getting him offstage that's the problem.
That is true, but i doubt he will be a high tier character overall, due to his awful jump he can be juggled easily getting more damage on him, more damage equals more knockback, unless his super armor is that great it isn't hard to get rid of little mac.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
That is true, but i doubt he will be a high tier character overall, due to his awful jump he can be juggled easily getting more damage on him, more damage equals more knockback, unless his super armor is that great it isn't hard to get rid of little mac.
His Jump isn't that awful compared to others. It's his aerial momentum and recovery that is bad. While it is smart to juggle him, it's all a matter of whether or not you will break through his Super Armor. He flat out took a hit to the face from a Bowser Ftilt and punished Bowser for it; Bowser is one of the strongest characters in Smash Bros in terms of raw strength. Grabbing would be the better option as no Super Armor will save him from it, but it's all a matter of getting the confirm on Little Mac. It is Little Mac we're talking about here. He's been trading blows and dodging strikes in the clinch for years.

Frage

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fragery
3DS FC
1349-4646-1151
He did eat Bowser's F Tilt real nicely, but maybe he was at low damage and the super armor get's weaker the more higher damage he has? Though we shall see, though grab chaining can also stop Little Mac and throwing him against the edge and edge guarding, that way he won't be able to reach the stage and will be stopped, though his OHKO Move seems Overpowered, though it has to have time for charging up. His Super Armor and his Ground Speed is what's gonna be best for him, I'm sure we'll find another way to stop him.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Wii Fit Trainer and now him? (takes a deep breath). Well on the plus side, LM isn't as pointless as the trainer but still, him in Smash just.....doesn't click.

Not to mention that this game has to many similarities to Brawl (Link and Zelda are still their TP selves rather than their SS selves), Lucario/Toon Link over Mewtwo/Young Link again (for the time being), as well as the graphical style of the game being somewhat like Brawl. At this point, you might as well call this game Brawl V2.

Can't say i'm too excited for this game right now TBH.
You do know that the reason they didn't go with the Skyward Sword designs is because Ganon wasn't in the game and Zelda was a lover in that game not a fighter so there was no real reason to include her design when she has none of the powers or abilities should would have in Twilight.

If anything I will call this Smash 4 because that is what this is, each Smash game will always stand on its own. Even project M stands and its a Mod of Brawl

Also Young Link is not popular of a character and Toon Link had relevance with WWHD coming out and Mewtwo is coming back, he just hasn't been shown.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Because it doesn't work like that in Smash. Do you have any idea how hard it is for the PMBR to balance a 41 character roster? Buffing up everybody to meet a certain character's level like Fox just throws the entire balance off.

Honestly, I hope Sakurai was exaggerating on the OHKO Uppercut in that it does kill at even zero percent. That would just be beyond too good and it doesn't look like it is easily telegraphed either. Even the charge is relatively quick like DK's charge time unlike the charge for Roy's True OHKO.
I think you should do research about Little Mac instead of worrying about that punch man. The way it worked in Super Punch Out is that it went up when he did damage but it dropped when he took it. Unless you are playing on a god stock, you will always get hit

Don't worry about it dood, besides that clip was sped up to the point where bowser has over 200% when he was at like 30% before the zoom

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Mewtwo is coming back, he just hasn't been shown.
And you know this how? I'd like to see this evidence of it because I will only believe it when I see it.

Also, I know that in his Super Punch-out and Punch-Out Wii interations it works like that. However, we don't know how exactly his Power Meter will work in Smash Bros. It might not even work the same as it does in his Punch-out games. So, of course I'm going to be skeptical of Little Mac on that particular subject. He seems awesome, don't get me wrong. It's nice to see a ground fighter in a game where a good deal of characters rely on air game. I am just waiting for more information from Sakurai about that subject because that's the one thing that bugs me about Little Mac right now.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Sakurai has already stated that he would like to have him in and he knows the great demand for one. I am confident he is coming back

Well why would you speculate it was something different? One part of a character is being true to their original design and we know this with especially the pokemon characters like Pichu and Lucario.

I mean like I said, it will more than likely work out work the same way but we won't get a confirmation tonight since he just revealed another returning character XD

Top Bottom