• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nesu] It's so deserted here I could find Criminal Caterpillars. (Post here if you're cool)

Best Ness Outfit?

• Total voters

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Welcome Nessfan! Enjoy your time here!
Anyways, I use PK Flash whenever my opponent is trying to recover, unless if it's Ness/Lucas since they'll just absorb it :p

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Don't feel bad uk denizens, technically they don't sell earthbound anywhere lol... Its been discontinued for ages

Most ppl opt to play a downloaded copy, or buy online (but that's VERY EXPENSIVE) and considering how poor EB's sales were while it was out, its probably safe to say that most current fans of the series didn't play it while it was still bein sold and just downloaded it sometime in the past 10yrs... Even in north america where it once was sold!

:phone:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Hello fellow Ness friends, I haven't been on in a few months mainly due to my account getting hacked and me being too lazy to make a new account. I contacted smashboards but they don't seem to like to respond so I am just letting that account go for now. I've been lurking and keeping up with videos this whole time but I haven't really been practicing at all for like 8 months due to my wii being broken and not having people close by to play with. I went to a tournament yesterday however and did surprisingly well...perhaps taking a break can be a good thing? I will post results and videos when those get uploaded. I got 7th out of 40 something (was a regional) and beat X and Razmakazi in pools (for first seed) and Brian H (good olimar) in bracket. FOW was there and got 4th so we had a regional where 2 ness's got top 8! woot. so....hi again Ness peoples : )

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Dude stopped playing for 8 months, showed up to a tourney and still got 7th/40+. Wtf? Glad FOW did well too, that's all good news to hear.

Sorry to hear about your account though, that's pretty upsetting. :\ Welcome back though! Hope you can make some time to keep up those tourney results in the future.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
VICEGRIP!!! I MISSED YOU!!!!! <3 WELCOME BACK! Awesome Job getting 7th I can barely get out of pools after an extended break xP. And Awesome job to FOW also.

So that's why you haven't been posting. :( Owells. It's always nice to hear from an old Ness main. xD

I'm going to a tourney next weekend. I'm not gonna doubt myself anymore; I will place highly. My Ness be gettin' super fresh 'n' fly.

*FREAKING BALLER SWACKET GONNA TAKE ME TO VICTORY!!!* It honestly makes me feel so much more optimistic than ever before.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hello fellow Ness friends, I haven't been on in a few months mainly due to my account getting hacked and me being too lazy to make a new account. I contacted smashboards but they don't seem to like to respond so I am just letting that account go for now. I've been lurking and keeping up with videos this whole time but I haven't really been practicing at all for like 8 months due to my wii being broken and not having people close by to play with. I went to a tournament yesterday however and did surprisingly well...perhaps taking a break can be a good thing? I will post results and videos when those get uploaded. I got 7th out of 40 something (was a regional) and beat X and Razmakazi in pools (for first seed) and Brian H (good olimar) in bracket. FOW was there and got 4th so we had a regional where 2 ness's got top 8! woot. so....hi again Ness peoples : )
THERE YOU ARE. *hug* I posted for you and FOW in the results thread. Good job!

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
It's kind of hard to go to tournaments cause I am very careful with the little money I do make but I intend to continue to go to tournaments and I have a friend to practice with here now. Falln (kirby main) recently moved to my area so there's at least someone to practice with. Heya Eagle! Thanks and good luck at your tourney! I am very confused by the last sentence in your post but it's pretty typical to at least be a little bit confused by an Eagle post :p

Edit: just saw Yink post. Thanks for posting the results, <3 Yink! I'll add my video of my match vs Z if it gets uploaded. That is one badass sig you got there btw.

Chuee

Smash Hero
****, good stuff beating X and Raz.
Haven't heard of Brian H, but I know both X and Raz are top players.
Props on beating them and getting 7th.
Who'd you lose to in bracket btw?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Edit: just saw Yink post. Thanks for posting the results, I'll be putting down a link to the tourney and at least one video of me vs Z when they are both uploaded. <3 Yink! That is one badass sig you got there btw.
Want one? :p

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hey Chuee, thanks! Brian H. is well known in so cal because whenever he comes out he tends to put on a good show and usually gets top 7, just he isn't very active. He would most definitely be on PR if he attended more. In bracket I lost to Z (it went to last hit 3rd game, that match should be getting uploaded, was on stream) and then I was knocked out later by Tearbear. FOW almost beat Tearbear, they went to last hit 3rd game. At one point I played Mata, a pokemon trainer and he did the silly/scary infinite stuff squirtle/charizard have but Ness can compete well w/ PT when he isn't being grab molested haha.

That would be awesome Yink, but I think I want to try and get my old account back first before that happens, this should only be temporary so that I can post and say hello to all you fine folks. Gracious for the offer.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
YEAHHHHHHHH

Okay, guys. There was this school-run tournament here at UIUC.
RIPPLE GOES TO MY SCHOOL!!!!!

Yeah, I got second, losing to Chewy, an IC main. It was single elim, which was dumb. Chewy beat Ripple, but I only lost to Chewy 2-1, the last game being that I accidentally SDd first stock and it was basically game from there.

Total tourney winnings now: $26. xD Note, all of those $s are school-run tourneys, so it doesn't matter much.

I'm pumped as **** for this Saturday. BALLER SWACKET TOO PRO!!!! CAN'T TOP THE BALLER SWACKET!

Rorroh

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Vice! I think I remember you! I haven't been active in forever. I've also just recently started playing again, and apparently there's a few well-trained players at my school now. If it weren't for the Smash naysayers, we'd probably play each other more. We at least get some time on Wednesdays to play Brawl. Nothing tourney-wise but here's hoping to finally getting into one. xD

Oh look new post. I should ask around and see if any Smash players at my school are known. There seem to be MvC pros — but from what I've seen it's really easy to go pro on that. I also tried convincing them into a Melee or Brawl tourney to no avail; "lolwut y." They're hugely MvC obsessive. I'm calling the kettle black on that, though, but at least I'm fine with variety. xD We also play Street Fighter (sometimes) and some other such games (rarely).

SO today I picked up you-know-what!
[link] <33333

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thank you, everyone! :3
And I so wish EB was sold here... *sights*
How did I miss this? Welcome! I'm Yink, the old mod. Make yourself comfortable, the people here are awesome. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need help.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I know, just I get shy over almost everything, I don't feel like people find me interesting ._.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. " - Hunter S. Thompson

in all seriousness though, people might not "find you interesting" particularly BECAUSE you adopt that attitude and sell yourself short. my advice, if there's any to be taken from my effed up brain, is to just be yourself and not care what other people think. i tend to attain some semblance of popularity around most of the folks i hang out with, and i can guarantee you it's the last thing i strive for

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hello Rorroh and Bluepsi, how goes it? Random question for everyone, in the next smash is there a character that you for sure would drop Ness for? I'm thinking that if his playstyle is still effective and fun I will continue to main Ness but it'll be nice to try all the newcomers and see how people have changed.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Id drop him for Yoshi.

Or possibly Neku/Krystal/Paper Mario if any of them make it in and I like them.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
i've played every single character since the very first smash and still more or less play random against friends, but ness has always been the one i like the most

i expect this will continue

Rorroh

Smash Apprentice
Very probably not. I'll probably at least play around with the new characters but I'm sure to still use Ness for everything. :p

Edit: HOWEVER. If Neku is added, that would make for some interesting battles!

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
If Neku is added, I'd double-main. I'd try so dang hard to play both of them super well. Ness' got higher priority though.

I honestly have started to love Ness' playstyle and movement too much to ever consider dropping him. If his BAir or UAir are nerfed, I might be pretty angry. BTHROW HAD BETTER STAY FREAKING PRO! IF IT DOESN'T, RAGE!

Ness main,
Potentially Kirby second.

Only two characters that I always want to use.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Near the top of the page, there should be a button labeled 'User CP', click there, and then go to Edit Avatar on the left side of the screen.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hello Rorroh and Bluepsi, how goes it? Random question for everyone, in the next smash is there a character that you for sure would drop Ness for? I'm thinking that if his playstyle is still effective and fun I will continue to main Ness but it'll be nice to try all the newcomers and see how people have changed.
I always second another character (lol Melee Ness lol). I will continue to use Ness because I have to keep a promise to someone.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Heya, all.

I've got a couple new ideas for how to play Ness or approach some games when playing as him. I'll elaborate after the tourney this Saturday.
Essentially, Ness has a bunch of traps that need to be exploited on opponents. That's the small thing I was talking about with DTilt, but almost all of Ness' moves have a trapping-type feature to them:

DAir being auto-canceled gives tons of low-percent follow ups both on shield and on hit.
UAir has enough range to limit any safe descent, provided you remain at the right heights.
BAir hitting at low percents is almost a certain string into some moves.
DashAttack pops people up at a PERFECT height for several followups (RAR FH BAir/UAir, baiting techniques, etc.)
DThrow does something similar to DashAttack, but to a lesser degree.
PK JUMP IS GODLY AT LOCKING DOWN!

I need some practice to perfect what I mean. Ness can trap people in epic ways.

Rorroh

Smash Apprentice
I'd feel really weird picking up a second character after using only Ness all this time though. xD We'll see what happens.

Eagle, I've actually learned a few more things with Ness that sound like some of the things you pointed out. Playing locally is apparently extraordinarily better than playing online. xD I've never had this opportunity before now.
Dadadadada, I need to get a new recorder or something. The one I used before to record a few replays sucks so bad and I think destroyed my computer. Practice and show us the results from the tourney if you can!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh yeah d-throw is amazing for follow ups. Use something like PK fire, Grab, pummel, D-throw, jump, F-air, second jump, almost directly aftyer second jump F-air again, F-air again, Maybe D-air after that or N-air. Using that you can get people up in to high percentages very quickly. in my experience doing that with running attackm doesn't work because they have time to attack you before you hit them. The good thing about running attack is, if they roll you can just do it again and again until they slip and it hits them. And i can't remember but i'm pretty sure you can do something to them even if they shield.

There's some amazing combos you can do with Ness. He's my combo man. :)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Individual moves you can look at and note things pretty easily. DThrow, looking at it individually, is just okay; it puts an opponent in a bit of a risky spot.

Once you combine the trap-like aspects of different moves all together, you get to see some crazy strings and potential setups.

For example, After a DashAttack, you can either go directly for a NAir/FAir/UAir or run around a bit. That running around a bit, you can do tons of stuff if they don't use their second jump, such as OoS UAir/BAir/NAir/USmash/Grab, PK Jump, PK Flash (depends on how far they were knocked upwards by DashAttack), PKT (same case as PK Flash), and a bunch of other things; and if your opponent decides to use their second jump above you, you have even more DashAttack potential because they need to land sometime. Also DashGrab, NAir, DAir, PK Fire..... yeah.
^This is why I love DashAttack. If you can manage to hit with only the last hit, the opponent is in a pretty terrible position. Your ability to move around so easily while your opponent is upward at an angle to you is great. The only characters that I can say might potentially benefit from being put in that position are Marth and Peach, but even so there are ways around some of their expected and unexpected followups.

It's like Chess: Once you know what your opponent needs to do to properly escape whatever your plans are, you cover those options while also covering ground that your opponent might unexpectedly slip through to get at you.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I don't know how willingly I'd use dash attack though Eagle...it's very unsafe and slow. I'd say the risk is not worth the reward.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
I'd have to agree with Yink on this one. Throwing it out there here and there might not be a terrible idea, but like she said, not worth it really.

Also, to go to the Texas championships in 10 days......to do.......or not to do....that is the question.

Top Bottom