• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
The joke is that that is the exact text on Lucas's page on the US version of the Brawl website. It's the text that made everyone think Ness was cut.
"Up until now..."

I still remember those awful words, and how much it stressed me out that Ness wasn't coming back.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
"Up until now..."

I still remember those awful words, and how much it stressed me out that Ness wasn't coming back.
The worst thing about this was that no one was believing Ness would come back, even when he was leaked (alongside Lucario) in a Brawl sticker trailer.

King Orfut

Smash Cadet
Ness should come next. We got :4falcon: today. Ness and Falcon have always been bros. They were both hidden in the original and Brawl, and were both promoted to starter in Melee. Where there's the Captain, Ness is not far behind. Well not really. Ness's run speed is kind of slow.

Lol yes I agree. For some reason I always associate C.Falcon with Ness ..

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Okay I know this leak is fake it's been out for sometime now. Is it me or does this design stay true to the SNES Sprite rather than previous Smash Models.

This is way to good to be fake. I wished it would be real because I like this model over the others!

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I love Ness's moveset, but it'd be cool to see him make more use of the bat rather than shooting psychic energy from his hands, as that's how he attacked in Earthbound. The attacks should stay functionally the same, but involve bat-swings instead of kicks, headbutts and electric shocks. I'd leave his dash attack and forward aerial the same, but change almost all of his other moves to involve the bat. It's kind of his signature.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Lets all be real here, we know Ness is coming back. The unspoken rule of the original 12, they must always be in smash bros. Now this isnt a rule Sakurai has said himself but its something that has been established by the community for good reasons too. No Smash 64 veteran has ever been removed and I really hope it never happens because I will be among the crowd of people rioting. Though if any of the 12 were to be removed I can see it being Jigglypuff but even then people will be furious lol me personally dont want any of them gone. Ness is too much of a boss to be cut from smash bros besides being a part of the O12.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I'll be really disappointed if he has all the usual problems though. I love the way he moves and his general playstyle, but it's so hard to win with it because damage and range is too low. He's a character that should be overhauled, and that's coming from an eternal Ness main.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'll be really disappointed if he has all the usual problems though. I love the way he moves and his general playstyle, but it's so hard to win with it because damage and range is too low. He's a character that should be overhauled, and that's coming from an eternal Ness main.
Sakurai should do a better job than what the Project M Backroom did.

"Uhh, let's give him a faster PK Flash, his Smash 64 up and down smashes, and a slightly better PK Fire.

That's all I got *shrugs*"

Meanwhile, the character they actually DO overhaul, Lucas, is considered one of the absolute best characters in Project M. If only they gave the same level of work to Ness, but at this point he's set in stone.

And I agree with Hong, part of the reason I like Lucas a lot is because, as he puts it, he's a patched Ness. Not that I want Lucas cut, I just want Ness vastly changed for the better.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457

"Uhh, let's give him a faster PK Flash, his Smash 64 up and down smashes, and a slightly better PK Fire.

Meanwhile, the character they actually DO overhaul, Lucas, is considered one of the absolute best characters in Project M. If only they gave the same level of work to Ness, but at this point he's set in stone.

And I agree with Hong, part of the reason I like Lucas a lot is because, as he puts it, he's a patched Ness. Not that I want Lucas cut, I just want Ness vastly changed for the better.
I thought those changes to Ness were fantastic and quite welcome. WIthout completely redesigning the character, they brought back double jump cancelling and his SSB64 Dair, both of which give him an incredibly powerful spike game, and made PK Flash an actual viable option. PK Fire activating on shields is incredibly useful.

It'd just be nice to make him closer to the way he actually is in Earthbound, from a character design rather than technical perspective.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman

I've been playing with Ness since 1998, as a main or as a secondary, and I didn't find a perfectly designed Ness until Project M. It has some other thing to be changed, that's true, in order to improve him. For example, this morning I had a matchup against a Bowser and he spoiled my PK Thunder just with his fire. This strongly vulnerable recovery is Ness' Achilles' heel. But I'm happy with PM Ness... and I actually wasn't with Brawl or Melee Ness.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm not denying that Ness is definitely at his best in Project M--he was my favorite character in that game for quite a while until the later versions--but it's not hard to see why Lucas is definitely more of a threat in tournaments.

I personally think Project M Ness should be a hypothetical starting point for even more revamping. Like I said earlier, Hong's changes to Ness would help him become much better than he already is while not making Lucas obsolete. Other than that, make all of his aerials come out just a little quicker to make up for his lack of range on all of them.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I'd cry if Ness didn't come back.

Well, actually, no, but still, I'd be dissapointed.

Last edited:

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
So, have you guys seen Robin's moveset?

His side B (Arcfire) looks like Ness' PK Fire. It creates a pillar of fire and in the air it travels diagonally downwards.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Inb4 Robin replaces Ness all thanks to his Arcfire being similar to PK Fire.

I can hear the rioting now. I would join in that rioting of course. However, doubt we have to worry about that seeing as Mr. Saturns and Franklin Badges are back, as well as the "Mother" representation logo.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If anything, Ness' D-air and D-Smash from 64 should return. Those were awesome. :)

Rhus

We're going top speed!
The Anniversary is tomorrow guys.

Man, I really hope we get SOMETHING. Ness is such a special character to me, I would be excited if we even got a nod to the franchise tomorrow or maybe even in Monday's PotD.

Sirotterton

Smash Rookie
The developers should consider making Ness look like he did in the original media for Earthbound. I'm more fond of the clay-like look he has goin on there.

Last edited:
If Lucas doesn't return, I hope Ness inherits his Rope Snake grab-air. A wall kick would also be much appreciated to help him in narrow gaps where PK Thunder falters.

People who don't sink their fangs too deeply into Smash games tend to write off Ness as a bad character because of his unorthodox recovery, but I always felt that made him specialized. It was like a self-imposed handicap and so I pretty much mained him in Smash 64 and Melee just to appall my friends and win more impressively.

And I hope his Melee sound effects return, like his bat attacks and double jump noise; Brawl's sound effects for him weren't so good, and I don't know why it was too hard for them to import Melee's sound effects.

aralove

Smash Rookie
NNID
aralove
The developers should consider making Ness look like he did in the original media for Earthbound. I'm more fond of the clay-like look he has goin on there.
That is the alternate model they made to appeal to the North American audience, Ness' smash bros design is based off of the original clay model made for Mother 2 pictured here.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
:ness2: HAPPY 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF MOTHER! :lucas:

I hope we get something tommorow, mostly leaning towards Lucas because i'm more concerned about his return. Ness is a mainstay no doubt, so i think tommorow is a good opportunity to reveal Lucas. And August 27th for Ness, cause that day is the 20th anniversary of his game!

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Guys, I'm gonna call it coincidence, but I just finished EarthBound two days ago. I am now more hyped than ever for Ness's return.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
If Lucas doesn't return, I hope Ness inherits his Rope Snake grab-air. A wall kick would also be much appreciated to help him in narrow gaps where PK Thunder falters.

People who don't sink their fangs too deeply into Smash games tend to write off Ness as a bad character because of his unorthodox recovery, but I always felt that made him specialized. It was like a self-imposed handicap and so I pretty much mained him in Smash 64 and Melee just to appall my friends and win more impressively.

And I hope his Melee sound effects return, like his bat attacks and double jump noise; Brawl's sound effects for him weren't so good, and I don't know why it was too hard for them to import Melee's sound effects.
Unlikely, the snake is trademark from Lucas. But a grab with the power of PSI like Mewtwo's would be appreciated. Cocerning his recovery, it has to cover more distance, be uninterruptable and retain a hitbox during all the attack. While his bad recovery contributes to that reputation, he also is sluggish, has the grab release bull****, predictable KO moves, and poor range. I also like his Melee sfx. Seeing what the Smash dev team did to Bowser and Link ( formely sluggish characters with lame recovery) I think Ness can be buffed like them.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You know what would by funny?
If the leaked Image below was real, but since everyone decided that this and the Ness/Jiggly were released together (which they weren't, spoiler alert) they called it fake. But in reality, it isn't.

Whoops.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Regardless of that image's veracity, that's got to be a mockup of some sort at best, as the official site's character renders are on a separate layer from the background. That being said, the background looks identical to the one on Kirby's page and it has the same dimensions; the only thing that looks off is how far the shadow comes in front of him. Either way, if this doesn't end up being real, I have a feeling the official render won't look this good.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Okay I know this leak is fake it's been out for sometime now. Is it me or does this design stay true to the SNES Sprite rather than previous Smash Models.

This is way to good to be fake. I wished it would be real because I like this model over the others!
How was this model proven fake again? Is it because the end of his bat looked too pixelated?

supernarutopokerssbb

Smash Rookie
NNID
gGsonemeupGg
3DS FC
4904-5539-7634
Ness (and Lucas) need the same hitstun as everyone else. Adding that unnecessary content in Brawl was not just a waste of time, it made both characters much worse.

While we're at it, make Ness' PK Thunder launch him about 3-4 times as far (I'm not joking), have his helpless state afterwards not as long. Actually, get ride of it entirely, minus 1-5 frames. Quite frankly, as it is, PK Thunder is risky. So, to counter its' riskiness, give it a giant reward.

Also, give Ness more grab range, make his aerials all combo better, give him his Smash 64/Project M down smash, make PK Fire not go downward (and awful), make PK Flash go much farther much more quickly, give his Yo-Yo a tad more range, make his down tilt either a new move or go farther, and give his down B the pre and post lag of a shine.

Pretty much if what I said happened, Ness would be a legend. FUZZ PICKLES SHALL RULE THE EARTH, AND THE ALIENS WILL BE BOUND TO LEAVE!!! :ness:
or just take pk flash and make it so it can be 64 ness just pk fire i like it when it was b not side b. at random when ever i go for a pk fire i some how use the up b move or just b it could be my joy stick is getting old and the response is not that great. i like 64 ness so much better than melee/brawl ness. they should make it so that it is 64 ness but better than before. keep the moves take out the pk flash and his recovery make it better i mean is up b is not hard to master but its so easy for people to stop it.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
How was this model proven fake again? Is it because the end of his bat looked too pixelated?
I dont think it was the model that was proven fake, but rather the pic with Jiggly/Ness on battlefield that was proven fake. It was compared to Link/TL on Battlefield, and it was shown not to be the same scale with height, i think. Since this image was leaked alongside that pic, it was debunked too.

As it's been said before, THere is the Unspoken 12 original char. rule, which means Ness is likely to return. NOt to mention, EB VC's release increases his chances, since him being in SMash would represent the game. Ness's only real chance to be cut was back in Melee's development when EB64 was still a thing, and Lucas was a choice for a spot on the roster. The real person i'm worried about getting cut is LUcas himself, but this isn't the place for me to say that.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
PK Flash is bad, but look at what P:M did with it, it's a neat edgeguarding move that can KO.
My only problem with PK Flash in Project M is it's too weak. It should kill a bit earlier IMO.

Actually, no. I would change it to move faster and have a longer move duration (the longer the charge) in exchange for doing less damage. That'd be a good trade off.

(while I would give Lucas an entirely new neutral B, but that's neither here nor there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom