• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Did Ness' Down-B deal damage in Brawl? He's my main in PM, so I wouldn't know about SSBB, but if it doesn't do damage, then change that in Smash 4.
never did any damage, just pushed people a little bit.

id also like to point out that:
1.) ness's psi magnet recovers 1.6x the damage from energy projectiles.
2.) Lucas's psi magnet recovers 2.5x the damage from energy projectiles, can KO opponents, and works in both directions (even though it was obviously NOT intended to do so)

and that makes me want to say a lot of curse words.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Did Ness' Down-B deal damage in Brawl? He's my main in PM, so I wouldn't know about SSBB, but if it doesn't do damage, then change that in Smash 4.
No, Lucas' Magnet did damage when it was turned off, Ness' had a wind effect when it was turned off. It wasn't tremendously useful, but it had niche uses, like blowing Snake's Grenades away or using the wind to shove people too far away from the ledge to grab it.

And yes, it should be changed to either do damage or have an enormous gust of wind as a really good defensive tool.

Hong

The Strongest
Mother turns 25 on the 27th

Do it for the fans, Sakurai.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Smash nerd just a bit of advice Mii Fighters aren't playable Online with Anyone but are with Friends If you did not know already

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
I don't ever play Ness... but how could he not return? He's apart of the original twelve and he is a great character with a great move set... I'm just no good at him. :bee: Still think he should come back.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I don't ever play Ness... but how could he not return? He's apart of the original twelve and he is a great character with a great move set... I'm just no good at him. :bee: Still think he should come back.
you only started yesterday? huh Well how has SmashBoards been to you bud?:b:

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
you only started yesterday? huh Well how has SmashBoards been to you bud?:b:
Fun, lots of flames for simple opinions but fun nonetheless, can't count how many times I've been cussed at for a simple opinion xD

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Am I the only one who thinks PK Rockin' would be a great Final Smash?

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
No, lots of people have expressed that opinion.

If they changes his side special to Paralysis I'd be happy. it'd serve the same basic purpose pkf does now, plus itd be closer to his original moves.

Thunder should be changed to teleport.

magnet can stay cause it sorta simulates Ness's healing abilities.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Been saying this for awhile, even if I don't use Ness much the lack of him shown so far is making me ache.

SHOW US MOTHER FANS SOME MORE LOVE NINTENDO.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ness had better be back, and better then ever before. Give this guy his supportive skills that he's known for in his games, and give him his unique PK Rock'n. Sakurai, nothing but good would come from this.

Hong

The Strongest
A lot of people expect a Metroid, DK or Fire Emblem newcomer to be revealed this August. I have a case that says we'll get someone else despite the Metroid anniversary, if not in conjunction.

First I'll bring up the fact Mother turns 25 on July 27. "Oh Hong. That game is a thing of a past. A mere relic; irrelevant, outdated, and not even internationally released." Oh? Sure. But then I rebuke by stating Mother 2 turns 20 on August the 27th. "Hong, anniversaries go by all the time and nothing rarely happens." True, true. But it's not just the fans who have noticed. There will be a new run of Mother 2 figurinees coming out this October to commemorate the event. Yeah. Figurines for a game in a discontinued series, when a lot of other Nintendo franchises would be begging for acknowledgement. Meanwhile Mother fans have been sitting on their arse eating peanut cheese bars.
Of course with the exception of Starmen.net's Mother anniversary celebration, which is going on almost all month.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment of course. I am anything but a prophet, and this may all but fly over Mr. Sakurai's head. That said, if there is ever a timing window for a Mother character, stage, new item or trophy, this is the time. Especially with the oh-so-likely August direct on the metaphorical horizon of ambiguity.
So, in summary, they are releasing a line of EarthBound figurines in celebration of Mother's 25th and EarthBound's 20th anniversary!

Hang on to your hats, fellas!:ness2:

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I just want the Mother Children back.

Thanks for posting that, @ Hong Hong I really hope we get at least something Mother related.

grizby2

Smash Lord
There's going to be Earthbound figures of Ness, Paula, and Mr. Saturn that will be released in Japan, to celebrate this game's 20th anniversary.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/07/earthbound-figures-ness-paula-mr-saturn-coming-japan/

I'm hoping that this is going to lead to something...
theres a comment on that site that someone said that I found interesting.
from
hazelnut1112
"...for Ness it's pretty much like in Brawl.
They never revealed him during the game's website when Brawl was still in development. They ended up showing C. Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff after the game released. It's pretty much repeating all over again, don't lose hope."

I hope they don't do that again. that be really annoying!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Come on 27th... checking my calender, I see the 27th falls on a Sunday, making the 25th a Friday. Come on Sakurai, 25th for 25th is too good to pass up. :laugh:

:ness2:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm starting to really appreciate the Mother series as a whole, I already finished Earthbound for the first time, it's pretty heartbreaking at the end when I had to leave my partners to end the game. Lot's of powerful messages in the game, now I all really want to play is Mother 3 now.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm starting to really appreciate the Mother series as a whole, I already finished Earthbound for the first time, it's pretty heartbreaking at the end when I had to leave my partners to end the game. Lot's of powerful messages in the game, now I all really want to play is Mother 3 now.
Earthbound is a very moving game in my opinion. It's a game with so much metaphorical depth when considering Ness's development through the game.

As a child I enjoyed it for its light and cheery atmosphere, but also for how powerful Ness felt as the game progressed. As a young adult, I appreciate its metaphorical strengths as well as its moving symbolism. I think that's what made Earthbound so special to me, I don't simply enjoy it today because of nostalgia, I genuinely love every playthrough I have done over the many years of owning it.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I'm playing through Earthbound for the first time - I had started it on ROMs a million times in the past and never got very far (it's fairly hard grindy in the beginning) but I had finally picked up a Wii U and here I am. I always loved Ness - but this has been an emotional experience for me in a way I can't quite fully explain.

Looking forward to Ness in SB4

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think one of the reasons why I love Ness and Earthbound so much is... the fact that I relate to Ness a lot. He may be silent, but what he goes through really resonates with me.

Now, my hype would go up to an 11 if Ness was revealed today, but I'm not going that far today. Loved to be surprised though.

Earthbound_PKMN_Trainer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roboticsuperstar
3DS FC
0731-6040-6586
I remember the hype for Smash 64 ... I remember getting a GameCube and Smash Melee ... I do not remember picking up Ness though. I always try to go back and recall when and why I decided to main him.

It doesn't matter, I love that character. To hell with tiers, I'll roll with Ness as my go to as I have for years.

I am also playing through Earthbound for the first time as a man in his mid to late 20's, its is an experience that I love. Started it on ROMs as others have, but never got that far ... until it was released on the Wii U VC.

Ness has to be in with him being a 64 OG and the Earthbound/Mother series items already in, but it would still be nice to at least him in HD.

D

Deleted member

Ness should come next. We got :4falcon: today. Ness and Falcon have always been bros. They were both hidden in the original and Brawl, and were both promoted to starter in Melee. Where there's the Captain, Ness is not far behind. Well not really. Ness's run speed is kind of slow.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I won't lie. I was kind of upset seeing Captain Falcon in today's trailer and not Ness. Ness better be in one of these trailers, or I will be mildly upset.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
After seeing Falcon, I'm fairly certain we'll see Ness sometime before the game releases.

D

Deleted member

Suddenly Lucas is revealed, and pic of the day says "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar." and Ness isn't revealed until the game comes out again :troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Posted this on another part of the boards. Ness' reveal just got personal. :laugh:

Well... I finally finished EarthBound. Touching game.

In the long run, I'm not going to remember it for the gameplay, but rather for the personality of the world. The way Itoi created the characters made me want to talk to everyone, a normally tedious task. Combine that with the amazing music, and you've got a game with a great atmosphere too. I also like how the game felt very personal to the player... all the way to the end.

Another big thing for me was how I related a lot to Ness. This may just be because of how ambiguous his personality was, but even still... His family, experiences (to an extent), and feelings all reminded me of my own life. Heck, he even has a blond friend who works in a preschool with whom he only has a slightly awkward relationship with. :laugh:

With that said, I was surprised I didn't cry at the end... and then I realized, the game reminded me so much of myself, I'd already shed my tears in real life.

TL;DR version: EarthBound is phenomenal, and I can apparently can write an emotional paragraph.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Suddenly Lucas is revealed, and pic of the day says "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar." and Ness isn't revealed until the game comes out again :troll:
i wouldn't be surprised if he did do that i mean see what he said about the f zero not getting a game for a while

D

Deleted member

i wouldn't be surprised if he did do that i mean see what he said about the f zero not getting a game for a while
The joke is that that is the exact text on Lucas's page on the US version of the Brawl website. It's the text that made everyone think Ness was cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom