• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
He practically is lol...

I hope Ness and Lucas both stay in smash, but their recoveries definitely need to be improved, and Lucas should be more... like Lucas I guess, he uses PK Love a lot but it should be a final smash imo, or him calling a Drago army would be amazing.

Ness should call Poo, Paula, and Jeff and they start launching PK Starstorm and bottlerockets all over the map, find someway to represent them more, because Mother wouldn't be mother without the partners.
I don't think Lucas really needs much improvement in his recovery,Magnet pulling and ropesnake are very good and replaces Pk thunder 95% of the times lol.

But Ness needs a improvement,at least gives less delay in Ness' PSI magnet so it can be better to recovery too.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I think Lucas won't have the things he has in Brawl, magnet pulling, and zap jumping will probably be gone.

SoulPech

Smash Master
It'll be cool to incorporate more yoyo stuff. For example, I think when he uses his nair, instead of extending his arms, he uses the same motion, but swings the yoyo around. I wanted double jump cancel back into it. Other than that, I can't wait for him next game ^^

:phone:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I can't wait to see if another Mother character will be added, I think Lucas is staying, I just think he's either going to be changed a lot, or stay the same and be bad.

Also worried they might just remove him and keep Ness...

HOPEFULLY they don't do that, I want 3 Mother characters, doubt it will happen... :(

Next Smash just needs to make sure Lucas and Ness can recover well, they're barely rewarded for having the hardest recovery (I think) in the game, hell I hate it when I recover from a far distance, then bounce off the ledge. Hopefully Namco/Bandai balance them with Sakurai, and hopefully they can add The Masked Man, and Claus as a Lucas skin with a custom voice/hair.

Soul Calibur had it, and they could probably do it in Smash 4 too.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I hope they add a Ness' infinite Uthrow>grab>Uthrow>grab like he has in SSF2 v0.8b on heavy characters.
:troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The problem is, Ness rarely uses any offensive PSI in Earthbound - he's more of a support/medic type character in terms of the PSI he uses(Lucas and Ninten are the same), so I don't begrudge Sakurai for having Ness use moves he didn't originally.
There's still enough material to use for a moveset even if not all of the attacks are offensive in nature. You just gotta be creative

B: PK Flash
Functions more like a catapult projectile now.
Side B: PK Rockin'
Looks different from PK Fire, but works the same way.
Up B: PSI Teleport
Might need to be like Sheik's to be practical.
Down B: PSI Shield
Ness puts a shield on himself and can do this two times at a time. Each shield grants Ness super armor. This super armor activates on his aerials and can naturally be thwarted by grabs or attacks that hit at least twice.

Not quite sure what kind of playstyle you could summarize this as though. Zoner? Zoning-Rushdown hybrid?

Likewise, Lucas is not that hard.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
There's still enough material to use for a moveset even if not all of the attacks are offensive in nature. You just gotta be creative

B: PK Flash
Functions more like a catapult projectile now.
Side B: PK Rockin'
Looks different from PK Fire, but works the same way.
Ness puts a shield on himself and can do this two times at a time. Each shield grants Ness super armor. This super armor activates on his aerials and can naturally be thwarted by grabs or attacks that hit at least twice.

Not quite sure what kind of playstyle you could summarize this as though. Zoner? Zoning-Rushdown hybrid?

Likewise, Lucas is not that hard.
A catapult projectile? I don't understand...

PK Rockin' seems more like a Final Smash to me than a regular special move. Maybe he could use PK Paralysis?

Food for thought: If Ness got a moveset that was more faithful to his in game appearances, would that open the door for a character like Poo or Kumatora to take his old moves?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Right now, PK Flash is just released whenever you let go of B and you're stationary. A catapult projectile would just go on its own path and inflict damage on contact.

And PK Rockin' has three or four levels to it. Having PK Rockin' Alpha as the normal version and PK Rockin' Omega as the Final Smash could work. I mean, we have that somewhat for Samus already before anyone cries of it being bland (when it isn't).

I'd like Kumatora, please. She could easily play like a Smash version of C. Viper what with her PK Ground.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Right now, PK Flash is just released whenever you let go of B and you're stationary. A catapult projectile would just go on its own path and inflict damage on contact.
Ok, I think I get it.

And PK Rockin' has three or four levels to it. Having PK Rockin' Alpha as the normal version and PK Rockin' Omega as the Final Smash could work. I mean, we have that somewhat for Samus already before anyone cries of it being bland (when it isn't).
Ok, but I think PK Paralysis might fit better with the overall design.

Now make a new moveset for Lucas. *cracks whip*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Lucas:

B: Offense Up
See Project M
Side B: PK Love Alpha
Like Ness, this replaces the aesthetics of PK Fire but works the same. Same as Project M really.
Up B: PK Love Beta
Lucas shoots PK Love Beta below him and the force of the blast raises him up while also making him a human projectile because of the force. Can be aimed in the up, up forward, and up back directions.
Down B: Shield
Like Ness, this grants super armor, but this only applies to when Lucas is running. Any attacks from the run are not subject to super armor.

What I wanted to have in mind was to reflect their personalities in these movesets. Ness would be more courageous in his attacks while Lucas would only get up close when he wants to.
Up B:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I think Ness should have PK Hypnosis. It's something he actually knows.

PK Paralysis could have some electric damage included, since most gamers associate paralysis with electricity, anyway.

Or, have some specials based on his bat and yo-yo.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Lucas:

B: Offense Up
See Project M
Side B: PK Love Alpha
Like Ness, this replaces the aesthetics of PK Fire but works the same. Same as Project M really.
Up B: PK Love Beta
Lucas shoots PK Love Beta below him and the force of the blast raises him up while also making him a human projectile because of the force. Can be aimed in the up, up forward, and up back directions.
Like Ness, this grants super armor, but this only applies to when Lucas is running. Any attacks from the run are not subject to super armor.

What I wanted to have in mind was to reflect their personalities in these movesets. Ness would be more courageous in his attacks while Lucas would only get up close when he wants to.
Up B:
Since this is NOT the Lucas thread, we can continue this here.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I think this should be a Ness/Lucas thread tbh, the Lucas thread is dead, and they both don't have many people. Besides, most people who like Lucas like Ness, and reverse.

Be a lot nicer imo and be more active.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think this should be a Ness/Lucas thread tbh, the Lucas thread is dead, and they both don't have many people. Besides, most people who like Lucas like Ness, and reverse.

Be a lot nicer imo and be more active.
Oh hey, it's my son. Your mother and I were wondering where you've been.

And I get the feeling combining the two would just end badly.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I don't know if it would, wouldn't think so but it's whatever, the thing is they're both similar characters, and they both even have the same grab release, they relate a lot so yeah, other characters don't share the same things (And are from the same series)

And I'm recently getting back into smashboards lol, I don't even remember who my mother was.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't know if it would, wouldn't think so but it's whatever, the thing is they're both similar characters, and they both even have the same grab release, they relate a lot so yeah, other characters don't share the same things (And are from the same series)
Mario and Doctor Mario have different threads, as do Fox/Falco and Falcon/Ganondorf. Ness and Lucas stay separate.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
They could just make his upB animation him running in midair to attain teleport speed. Sounds just as logical to me as chars 'kicking off the air' to double jump. :p

What do you mean "two times at a time"? Do you mean that Ness should be able to have two 'shields' on himself at once so that it would take at least three hits to hurt him, or do you mean that he should only be able to perform the move twice within a certain interval of time?

Food for thought: If Ness got a moveset that was more faithful to his in game appearances, would that open the door for a character like Poo or Kumatora to take his old moves?
I'd like Kumatora, please. She could easily play like a Smash version of C. Viper what with her PK Ground.
Actually, I'd like Poo. He could be your standard 'fighter' character, like Rock Lee in Naruto, Ironfist in UMvC3, and Lucario in P:M. IIRC, he was also one of your elite fighters that could learn a lot of the skills known by other chars so he could be the 'true Ness'. :awesome:

Hmmm, sounds just like Cerebella's super-armored run in Skullgirls.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually, I'd like Poo. He could be your standard 'fighter' character, like Rock Lee in Naruto, Ironfist in UMvC3, and Lucario in P:M. IIRC, he was also one of your elite fighters that could learn a lot of the skills known by other chars so he could be the 'true Ness'. :awesome:
Actually, if you wanted a rep for each game in the series, Ana might be the best choice since she's from the original and knows all of Ness's current moves. Though she doesn't strike me as a fighter...

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I would like Ninten but he's too much alike Ness, although it'd be really cool to have Ninten/Ness as a team.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What do you mean "two times at a time"? Do you mean that Ness should be able to have two 'shields' on himself at once so that it would take at least three hits to hurt him, or do you mean that he should only be able to perform the move twice within a certain interval of time?

Hmmm, sounds just like Cerebella's super-armored run in Skullgirls.
Ness would put one stock of super armor on him at a time. Think of it kind of like Hakan's oil or Chin Gentsai's drink. If Ness can put two on him, it won't be until the third attack that he will react to the attack. And yes, it's like Cerebella's run, but it was more inspired by El Fuerte's EX Dash which you can clearly see in Lucas.

And "standard fighter" is a very loose term. Some might think of the karate type like Ryu, the kung-fighter like Michelle, or the boxer like Little Mac. Still, I'd prefer Kumatora for a scary zoning-mixup glass cannon character. I always loved Viper's playstyle even if I was never good with her.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
He could get a revamped design though, most fanart adds a red scarf around his neck and a different t-shirt. I'd love to have Ninten in so he can represent the first Mother game.

I would worry that he would wind up being too much like Ness. In terms of abilities, there's not a whole lot to differentiate between the two. Really, there aren't many characters that would make good reps for the first game. Maybe Loid.

Say, with all this talk about potential other Mother characters, do you think we should make a new thread?

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Possibly, talking about all Mother characters capable of getting in.

I think the ones that can make it are...
Ninten, Claus, Masked Man Claus, Pokey, Kumatora, Jeff.

Paula/Poo/Duster not sure about, duster would be cool though.

Mother doesn't have a villain yet... I just thought of that, I think we might actually get another mother character thats bad...

This means Masked man and Pokey are the most probable candidates.

Either that or the pattern will continue and we'll get Ninten.

OR we'll just get nobody :(

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Possibly, talking about all Mother characters capable of getting in.

I think the ones that can make it are...
Ninten, Claus, Masked Man Claus, Pokey, Kumatora, Jeff.

Paula/Poo/Duster not sure about, duster would be cool though.

Mother doesn't have a villain yet... I just thought of that, I think we might actually get another mother character thats bad...

This means Masked man and Pokey are the most probable candidates.

Either that or the pattern will continue and we'll get Ninten.

OR we'll just get nobody :(
Keep in mind that Mother/Earthbound isn't a particularily big franchise for Nintendo(only 3 games, and no plans for any future games), and I think we'll honestly be stuck with who we have now.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Keep in mind that Mother/Earthbound isn't a particularily big franchise for Nintendo(only 3 games, and no plans for any future games), and I think we'll honestly be stuck with who we have now.
That's why I added the last part of us getting nobody, I don't think we'll get one but I still have hope for it. Mother was big in Japan, and Sakurai apparently likes the Mother series, so it might happen, was Lucas a surprise for everyone? Or was he like in votes, and pretty obvious about getting in.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
If Lucas is cut I'll cry my heart out and claw my eyes out.

After that I'll run to some random house and start ranting about how Lucas isn't in smash 4.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Don't forget that FE was only popular in Japan before Melee came out. That didn't keep Sakurai from including Marth and Roy in the game after Americans asked for them to be kept from the demo, and thanks to Smash, FE became more popular in NA soon after.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hope Lucas does not get cut.
:[
Lucas won't be cut. Neither will Ness, if he's made it this far, he's not leaving. However, I doubt we'll see another Mother character in Smash 4.

@bubbaking
But FE has always been a bigger series than Mother, even if it was just in Japan. It was bigger around the time of Melee, and it still is now. It would make sense for more than two FE characters to be included in SSB4, but the same can't really be said for Mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom