• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Vs. Olimar MU Help

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Ok, recently I've been having a hard time with Oli Mainers.
Mainly because I don't see exactly how I can counter him other then using pkf a million times to hit a pikmin and missing. (I barely ever use PKF in matches)
Oli's ground game beats ness in almost every way I can imagine. He has really good grabbing,strong smashes, and effecient projectiles. He's also good in the air as well but I know ness is also.
So any advice?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Almost every Ness main has a problem with this match up because a lot of us have little to no match up experience against Olimar. I'm told once you learn the match up, he's not as hard. PK Fire is okay. But really, Double Aerial Shuffle (DAS) your nair or dair. Nair especially. And when I say that, I mean retreat it to avoid getting grabbed. That gets the Pikmin right off of Ness. Learn the differences between his grabs and smash attacks. They look similar, but they sound different.

Try to get Olimar into the air, because he can't stay on the ground forever anyway. I may still have the info ViceGrip gave me before. So I'll look for that later on. In the mean time, try to read your opponent.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
NAIR! play smart. don't fall for his baits. try to go for early gimps, if possible. counterpick stages effectively.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
NAIR! play smart. don't fall for his baits. try to go for early gimps, if possible. counterpick stages effectively.

Yeah I know i cp'ed Brinstar and almost won but still man
I can seem to figure out what irks me about him.
I consider myself a strategic player but I can't always tell what Oli is doing because of his little limbs and look alike move set =/

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Is there any good videos that show a good Ness VS Olimar match?

Because I also need help with this matchup....

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
bairs are useful too, if you can start to see the olimar player's patters, because it deflects the pikins as well. This is quite a hard match up if you are fighting a good olimar. All I can say is, use ness's aerials to your advantage, and go for those really early kills. Remember: if you can get the olimar off the edge, and make them use their up-b, even if it hits you on the edge, they will die too x].

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I got it now!
I wanted to see you alls input but I did a little bit of practicing on the MU. I started out brawling a level 9 Oli offline just to make sure I my movesets would match up against a olimar. (as well as try certain AT's offline that I can't perform on wifi). the Upsmash and yoyo of any sort pretty much serve you well. Another thing that works is the PSI magnet in the air. most oli's when they can they'll throw you in the air and they usually go for a uair,or fair, everynow and then depending on thier position they go for a bair. The best way to counter this is a PSI magnet. This helps because oli's pikmin only extend his reach, He's not literly as tall as his reach. If you release PSI magnet it pushes him away and gives you the chance of a dair punishment or a fair combo. I tested this out on a ladder match w/ oli player that had a higher rank then me. I won the set I 2stocked him the first round and when he beat me on RC i cp'ed Brinstar and got him even worse. Brinstar is a good Cp as well.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Achoral isn't that good against olimars. He actually hates them xD

But dair works great too on olimar. Just mixup your game a lil. Some PKF,nair's dair's and such =P
Maybe I can record some matches from my ness against an olimar at the offline tourney (end of october)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Maybe if Achoral starts fighting more Olimar's, he can best them easier. I know I hate fighting Olimar.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Maybe if Achoral starts fighting more Olimar's, he can best them easier. I know I hate fighting Olimar.
Every Ness user I know hates fighting an Olimar haha. It's just very annoying and takes time and patience.

Also orange/xd and everyone else are right. Especially about the distance thing. You may feel safer at a long distance and even if you kill all the Pikmin that distance you gave him gives him even more time to pull out more Pikmin. Then you want to rip your hair out..

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't like how he's a campy character. Olimar is no fun to fight. He makes the game boring.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I don't know about other Olimains, but I REALLY hate Ness's Fairs. >_>
Just play smart and remember that you CAN and HAVE TO approach. Just watch for purples and whites being tossed.

And you may not find Olimar to be fun to fight, but he is VERY fun to use. =P

milesg2g

Smash Champion
It's like skypirate said Ness' Fair is somewhat annoying to other mainers. while distance is a key to winnning it also give's oli time to pick pikmin out. If you get close to olimar don't let him beat you in ground game. I know his moves are unpredictable because of his little limbs but that also gives you a chance to sheildgrab because he doesn't knock you too far.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Ness' best move against us is Nair.
Just do that and you'll win easier. PK thunder tricks don't work that well. Recover like Achoral was doing by timing DownB to dodge pikmin.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Nair does work very good against Oli's both w/ inside or outside defense.
Be sure to nair still once your close to oli's because you can fast fall easier.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I almost beat an Olimar yesterday. The second match I was two stocked. Argh.

-KB

Smash Rookie
Have Peach as a secondary. :laugh:

Nah but seriously, nair is good but you can't completely fall back on it if you don't want to be baited into one of his fairs/bairs (reds and purples especially, not too sure about blues). PK fire is ok if he wants to be silly and try to wall you with pikmin from afar, but otherwise I would just put the pressure on him with fairs and nairs before he can station himself comfortably to camp you. If he does successfully place himself in a comfortable camping position, it's up to you to make him flinch in order to get a grab. You have enough options to do so: run in and predict a grab/smash attempt with a spotdodge and punish, you can roll but it's not recommended, punish a grab/f-smash/d-smash attempt with a short hopped aerial.

Your main focus is to get Olimar into the air and offstage; from that point Ness is totally capable of taking over by just playing it smart and careful (vague but true).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Albel??? I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but fayt or ratyx are the best star ocean characters of all time!!! Actually I like albel the most... But ratyx (or however it's spelled from so) has the coolest sounding name...

I say nair is ownage... That's it. Don't be predictable of when you are going to land either... Avoid he grab... Know the olimar... Idk, Idk much of oli.

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
Like, what I do. I keep good spacing and use the bat because sometimes it reflects the pikman back.
The important thing to do is find out the olimars chain of play and try and predict what to do. Like If I see an olimar that is trying to grab me I jump and Fast Fall FAir. Pk fire can be goo dbut dangerous because fire pikmin go through and they **** me..-_-

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I call BS LMAO
like seriously
Just because they don't like nair's doesnt mean he has a better advantage.
PKT does nothing to Yellows
PKF does nothing to Reds
if you try to get close they'll pwn you w/ their broken grabs or smash attacks you can't tell that are there because of his small limbs.
I find this MU very annoying.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nair and dair are good. But not if land in front of them. You'll want to retreat those. PK Fire is somewhat useful and PK Thunder is only good if he's off the stage. Otherwise avoid using that at all cost. If you haven't gotten tail whipping down, I suggest learning it. When a Pikmin lands on you, you don't take damage right away, which is enough time for your nair to knock them off and possibly killing them.

Don't spend your time trying to get rid of the Pikmin thrown at you, either. If you're busy trying to get rid of them, that gives Olimar the chance to go in and do something. So just go at him, retreat nair/dair, try to get him into the air and things should go fairly well. Fair also works. But I'm not sure if it's that great against the yellow Pikmin.

Whatever remaining Pikmin land on the ground, you can use PK Fire on them, even if they're red, which can create quite a barrier. A good Olimar will use their whistle to escape flinching, so try to bait them with any aerial if they're in the air using that. Olimar can gimp Ness better than most characters, so just try and play smart to avoid getting gimped. It doesn't happen often, but it can.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I was fighting this olimar.
I two stocked him with dedede.
Then I used Ness. Nairnairnairnairnairnairnairnairpkfirenairnairnairnairnairledgehog.
And surprisingly, it worked.
lol at not even needing to be invincible to ledgehog tethers.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I suspect you played a not-very-good Olimar; the Olimar-DDD matchup is 60-40 in favor of Olimar, and yet you two-stocked him. He must have been doing something wrong.

some-guy

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like Ness vs. Olimar, it feels weird and my playstyle doesn't really suit this matchup too well. >.>

bumble

Smash Rookie
reading all of this i have noticed that you all forgot something. Fsmash reflects pikmin! i went to my first tourney last weekend and there were quite a few oli mains there. in one of my matches i just randomly threw out a bat and sent a white right back to stick to oli. wich after the funny aspect of sticking him with his own white wore off decided to contiue sending pikman back at him. they move slow enough that you can usualy get quite a few of them. though not a win all strategy it does have some mindgame properties and might quiet the pikmins spam a little along with decent damage because oli isnt expecting to have to remove pikmin in this fight. also when removing pickimn guess what he isnt doing. making it hard for you to approach.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I've also been having a bit of trouble with this match up.

The nair does indeed help a lot.

Also something I've found useful in challenging my Olimar guy is to rush in with good angles and remove the distance. Though I'm not sure if this works with other Olimars(?), as I only ever challenge one.

This guy uses his Pikmin recall a lot in the air to reduce knockback. It's very frustrating.

Theknowingguy

Smash Cadet
yup, olimar is very annoying to fight... just try not to stay far away from him b/c he will spam foreword b; try to pressure him with air moves and avoid using b moves. Never ever stay on ground b/c he will try to grab... the only right time to uses b moves is when hes off stage- where he can be gimped with pkt or fire.

Valiant

Smash Rookie
Shaky's matches are pretty good also I think he knows how to handle oli some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuzNARZtTI

And i noticed in the video..., you cant camp and run from him or else he'll just spam pikmin at you (if he has any, which i'm probably 99% sure a good olimar player always has pimin) and if you get too close to him he'll grab -> combo the heck out of you, so i'm thinking stay in the air, and try to get close to him like that..., basically DASing would do the trick.

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
As a previous Olimar main, I'm here to shed light on this matchup.

First off, never forget Olimar is an absolute beast from any direction or range. He's fast, he's strong, and he can take you from 0% to 90% in a wink if you're not careful. SO BE CAREFUL!

But as everyone knows, Olimar has what could easily be the worst recovery in the game. Success requires that you capitalize on this. Obviously, edgehogging is no suprise, but most characters kill with diagonally verticle moves.

Simply put, capitalize on Ness's lesser-used killing moves. Specifically, his semi-spikes. Semi-spikes are olimarsbane. Sourspotted dair is incredible, usually eating through his usmash and such for an early KO. However, the one I'd really like to point out is Ness' ftilt. I never see this move used, but it's an incredible kill move simply because of its semispikeing properties and reasonable speed. You can't afford to not gimp Olimar!

mib004

Smash Ace
In this match up ness should space fair away from olimar destroying his pikmin forcing him to approach, and when he does piviot grab him down and punish him when he gets in the air. If you are a ness player that uses pk fire in different ways "rising pk fire and piviot pk fire" those will help you alot in this match up. when close to olimar uses dair of the ground, olimar players tend to doge or grab when close, and ness stomp off the ground has a delay that hits olimar perfect when he dodges. Stay away from BF at all times because of the platforms, and fd because its huge and oli can spam. Counterpick Frigate or brinstar. Brinstar has small sides ness bthrow will kill oli at 80% on that board, and due to the fire rising oliimar has to jump platform to platform, and thats when we punish him.

Top Bottom