• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. Jigglypuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragbait

Smash Master
I disagree a bit with the aerial game being hopeless. Properly spaced Fairs and well timed Nairs should get around a good chunk of the moveset of teh 'Puff.

Pound is dangerous, yes, but not a gamewinner. I don't see a whole lot on the ground that Jiggs can do to Ness. Her smashes are weaksauce, IMO, just bait out most of them and respond with a quick throw or bat :3

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
See?!?! My grounded ness DOES lean toward consistently beating jiggz.

You guys have gotta hop on that grounded train. Dtilt, ftilt, dashattack, OoS options. BOOM!!

_clinton

Smash Master
How is the match up even? The only thing Ness really isn't flat out beating Jiggs is at off stage situations.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Ness doesn't win offstage, They both don't have the best ground game, And both tie in the air (might be a little to Ness' favor though)

Ness doesn't flat out beat Jiggs in the air nor the ground.

imho it's even. But that's just me.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'd still say that the only actual really good kill move she has is Fair, which overall it is pretty good, it is even pretty easy to save (It has almost as much power as our Bair but not as much priority, although it does come out like 2 frames faster).
We also have Rest, DACUS, Dash Attack, U-Tilt, F-Tilt, and of course gimping in general.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'm just here to post that I'm in agreement with 55:45 Ness. I don't really feel like arguing over match ups tonight. Most of the majorly important information has already been posted anyway.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
55:45 Ness is way wrong.

It's still 60:40 Puff. Ness doesn't have fast enough options up close to keep her out. To gimp him we literally just have to jump towards him so we can eat up his PK thunder, Dair can devastate him because of how slow both his upsmash, and uair are. If you couple Jigglypuffs aerial mobility, along with her far reaching aerials, she can quickly get close to Ness and then (Hopefully) get him off stage.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
No way in heck is it in Puff's favor. =/

It's even or in Ness' favor. (i just think it's even but i'd agree to his favor =P)

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
No way in heck is it in Puff's favor. =/

It's even or in Ness' favor. (i just think it's even but i'd agree to his favor =P)
Jiggz can just slaughter Ness in the air once she gets inside. None of his aerials have enough disjoint to keep her out, and once he's off stage he's toast. His PK fire is total garbage, and that's probably the only thing he has to really keep Jigglypuff out. The only thing Ness really has over Jigglypuff is that his Fair is amazing and has probably the best retreating hitbox in the game. Once Jigglypuff gets through that though its easy and free damage.

Hell, Ness is easy enough to gimp that Jigglypuff won't need to save her fair at all in this matchup. It's 60:40 Jiggz.

Note how I was talking about good kill moves? ^_^
Even if those moves weren't good killers (Which they are), all it takes is getting Ness off stage and we have an easy kill.

Chuee

Smash Hero
^^^
What the hell are you smoking?
6-4 Jiggz?
Dude you must be ********.
NESS FAIR CLEARLY HAS WAY MORE DISJOINT THAN ANY OF JIGGZ AERIALS.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Chuee for top tier! Anyway, down to serious bidNESS here! I think this match-up could simply be an even one. But I just have some questions. How good is Jigglypuff's Rest? I used her last night to try and train my brother against different enemies, and I got him with Rest, but it didn't kill him and it was fresh. In Melee, that attack would have simply killed him at double digits, but it just flung him into the air and he survived. Did Rest get nerfed to the point it's only good when the enemy is at triple digits?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Jiggz can just slaughter Ness in the air once she gets inside. None of his aerials have enough disjoint to keep her out, and once he's off stage he's toast. His PK fire is total garbage, and that's probably the only thing he has to really keep Jigglypuff out. The only thing Ness really has over Jigglypuff is that his Fair is amazing and has probably the best retreating hitbox in the game. Once Jigglypuff gets through that though its easy and free damage.
Please tell me you're trolling. Her aerials are good, but not good enough that it's insta-death for Ness. You have to get Ness off the stage to easily take a stock off. Even then, Ness isn't just going to sit there and take a beating. It's not that easy. She's nothing like Kirby or Meta Knight. But even matches like that don't just end up as "gimp Ness for automatic wins." And why would you mention Ness using PK Fire against Jigglypuff? She's flying most of the time, so it's practically useless to use it against her in the first place.

Hell, Ness is easy enough to gimp that Jigglypuff won't need to save her fair at all in this matchup. It's 60:40 Jiggz.
Gimping doesn't determine a match-up.

Even if those moves weren't good killers (Which they are), all it takes is getting Ness off stage and we have an easy kill.
Again, knocking off Ness isn't as easy as it sounds. But if you've actually played a decent enough Ness, you'd know this. Or perhaps they're just lacking the amount of experience against Jigglypuff since she's quite rare to come across. If knocking your opponent off the stage is all you've got, then you'll have to think of some different methods since no Ness is going to get off the stage with Jigglypuff.

T-block

B2B TST
Oh I forgot about this discussion =( Maniclysane tends to have a lot of misconceptions about the Mother boys it seems.

Ness isn't as easy to gimp as some people are making it sound. Ness is in serious danger of losing a stock if he's forced to PKT to recover, but forcing him into that situation isn't easy, and it generally doesn't happen until he's at higher percents anyways. The gimp is a solid threat, but it's not matchup breaking by any means.

Slight advantage Ness sounds right to me. Ness' f-air is incredibly useful against Jiggs, and takes away what would be a solid air advantage for her. He also has that **** dash grab along with a b-throw that will kill her at 110-120%.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alright guys, I've been looking over the thread, and are there any posts anyone would like me to use in the summary? I usually combine it between what Jiggs can do and what Ness can do but if there are any whole posts of epicness, please point them out. I'll be putting up the summary today.

Also GREAT job of keeping it nice and peaceful in here.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Please tell me you're trolling. Her aerials are good, but not good enough that it's insta-death for Ness. You have to get Ness off the stage to easily take a stock off. Even then, Ness isn't just going to sit there and take a beating. It's not that easy. She's nothing like Kirby or Meta Knight. But even matches like that don't just end up as "gimp Ness for automatic wins." And why would you mention Ness using PK Fire against Jigglypuff? She's flying most of the time, so it's practically useless to use it against her in the first place.
Maybe it's not instadeath, but it's easy damage. It's easy to get him knock him into the air with a b-reversed pound or a fast fall'd uair (which at low percents can link into an utilt). Ness's dair is too slow and has too much cool down to keep Jiggly out from under him. Her Dair outspaces Ness's uair way too well for him to keep her out from above.

Gimping doesn't determine a match-up.
But it plays a huge part in this one.

Again, knocking off Ness isn't as easy as it sounds. But if you've actually played a decent enough Ness, you'd know this. Or perhaps they're just lacking the amount of experience against Jigglypuff since she's quite rare to come across. If knocking your opponent off the stage is all you've got, then you'll have to think of some different methods since no Ness is going to get off the stage with Jigglypuff.
I have played a decent enough Ness to know this matchup. I know that he has few options off stage, and as long as he is off stage he's easy. Our Bthrow can get him off stage, an fair, a dash attack, etc. Even if our fair is completely stale it's perfect to gimp with.

Oh I forgot about this discussion =( Maniclysane tends to have a lot of misconceptions about the Mother boys it seems.
No, not really.

Ness isn't as easy to gimp as some people are making it sound. Ness is in serious danger of losing a stock if he's forced to PKT to recover, but forcing him into that situation isn't easy, and it generally doesn't happen until he's at higher percents anyways. The gimp is a solid threat, but it's not matchup breaking by any means.
Of course it's not easy to force him into that situation, but every time you do it's a stock or a load of damage.

Slight advantage Ness sounds right to me. Ness' f-air is incredibly useful against Jiggs, and takes away what would be a solid air advantage for her. He also has that **** dash grab along with a b-throw that will kill her at 110-120%.
Pound out prioritizes fair, and when it connects it leaves Ness is a very vulnerable position. Ness's fair is not as useful as you would think.

T-block

B2B TST
DJ f-air and DJ air dodge are two great options for Ness offstage.

As I said, you're not going to gimp Ness unless you force him to use PKT, and you're not going to force that unless he's at high percents, or you predict his recovery perfectly at low percents. I know I've seen success with OoS n-air as Squirtle against the DJ f-air at the ledge, but I don't know if Jiggs is fast enough to pull off something like that.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
DJ f-air and DJ air dodge are two great options for Ness offstage.

As I said, you're not going to gimp Ness unless you force him to use PKT, and you're not going to force that unless he's at high percents, or you predict his recovery perfectly at low percents. I know I've seen success with OoS n-air as Squirtle against the DJ f-air at the ledge, but I don't know if Jiggs is fast enough to pull off something like that.
You can't double jump off stage.

We don't even have to gimp Ness. It's easy enough to keep him from getting onto the stage. We can just get free damage from controlling the edge.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
You... can't double jump off stage...

What?
I think he means if you just run off the stage you only have one jump, or if you are hit offstage you only have one jump.

I think you were referring to jumping off then jumping again, but I have no idea. Taking shots in the dark here.

_clinton

Smash Master
Jiggz can just slaughter Ness in the air once she gets inside.
Yes, because Ness doesn't have a super speedy aerial Nair with a hitbox covering pretty much everywhere on him that can be performed 2x in a single short hop that also is good at getting people away from him like Luigi/Mario can do with their's.

Saying Ness doesn't have a good out of shield option doesn't work when he has an Nair that is better overall IMO than a good % of the casts.

All of Ness' airs are awesome overall actually. ^_^

None of his aerials have enough disjoint to keep her out, and once he's off stage he's toast.
Yes, because Ness doesn't have ways of mixing up his recovery.

-2nd jump goes as far as PKT2 w/o hit and using Fair to up the distance, oh and you don't have use it 1st, keep that in mind.
-PKT2 can be used pretty much anywhere if the Ness is good at it "like me" and can be fired high and low very well unlike oh say things "like" Fire Fox/Bird for recovery move comparisons
-Can stall his fall with PSI Magnet, and can be used more than once as well, overall it is a good stalling tool IMO compared to some other ones in this game, not the best of course, but it isn't bad.

It's not like Jiggs has a FLUDD/Water gun (lol at those being a threat to a smart Ness), a cape/mirror/counter (not so much lol here, but still able to be workable), or low angle knockback aerials, but at least she has 5 jumps with a kill option overall.

His PK fire is total garbage, and that's probably the only thing he has to really keep Jigglypuff out.
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

PKT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PKF

PKF is only useful for low grade stuff or once in a while screwing around with things, and overall I don't see how you'll trap Jiggs that long with it.

Let us look at some stuff really fast:

Rest:
-Ness can kill Jiggs at like 30%
-Jiggs only true hope of landing it truly is Dair with a trip or hopping the Ness makes a big error in his spacing/timing so the brawl traits that rest has that do not suck (frame 2 with invulnerability at 1) can get in
-However, Ness is a small "middle weight class" target and needs to be past 70% before Rest will KO. Whose attacks make his hurt box overall very small on average.

The thing is overall very risky to hit with for this match.

Dash attack:
-A sweet spot at the start of the move that has to have Ness at a respectable % before it will kill anyway unless DI is bad/position is bad prevents it from me saying it is really good
-A miss could cost you in cool down time overall I guess, it isn't like Ness' dash attack where the strong point is at the end and so a miss won't cost Ness much overall if used right, it is at the start.

DACUS:
-Said sweet spot is at the start of the Usmash at the back side of Jiggs, the only way I see this hitting is if Ness is rolling, which shouldn't be happening much.
-Said sour spot can still kill, but it won't be for more respectable %, and considering how the strong spot was already at higher % than rest, this isn't good IMO.
-At least this move and the dash attack work well with each other, and Jiggs has a good grab as well, even if there isn't anything to follow with it.

Sure you can say the kill moves are good, for Jiggs. But it isn't even close to Ness' kill moves in power and performance.

6:4 Ness IMO

T-block

B2B TST
Does PK Flash really kill Jiggs at 30%? Rest is meh... I've landed it on Ness out of baited air dodges though. Since it's frame 2, it's a low risk read, as there's easily enough time to react and not use it if it's not going to land.

You're underestimating Jiggs' dash attack... it's strong and covers ground fairly quickly. I don't know what our definition of respectable percentages is, but Ness doesn't have to be too high before Dash Attack starts putting him far enough offstage for him to be in danger of getting gimped.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Maybe it's not instadeath, but it's easy damage. It's easy to get him knock him into the air with a b-reversed pound or a fast fall'd uair (which at low percents can link into an utilt). Ness's dair is too slow and has too much cool down to keep Jiggly out from under him. Her Dair outspaces Ness's uair way too well for him to keep her out from above.
Pound is a good move, but that doesn't really explain how she's going to get him off stage with it. Jigglypuff's uair isn't exactly the quickest thing. If you were to ask me, I'd say using her Pound > bair is a better choice.

But it plays a huge part in this one.
Then all his match-ups should since that's all anybody ever thinks about the most when it comes to Ness vs _____.

I have played a decent enough Ness to know this matchup. I know that he has few options off stage, and as long as he is off stage he's easy. Our Bthrow can get him off stage, an fair, a dash attack, etc. Even if our fair is completely stale it's perfect to gimp with.
The questions is, does this Ness player know how to deal with Jigglypuff? That's what I'm wondering. Here's a question. What do you think Jigglypuff would plan on doing to Ness if they're on a stage such as Delfino Plaza, Brinstar, or any stage that has something safe below for Ness? Her tactics will have become useless then, so what could she possibly do if either of those stages were counterpicked against Jigglypuff?

I believe the reason people have a hard time coming back to the stage is because Jigglypuff is forcing her opponent off the stage which causes some fear to her opponent, which makes them DI into her wall of pain in attempts to safely return to the stage. A simple aerial or dodge would help Ness get out of her wall of pain. And even then, you've still got his second jump and PKT2.

Of course it's not easy to force him into that situation, but every time you do it's a stock or a load of damage.
Yup, it's not easy to force Ness into the situation of gimping him. I fought a Jigglypuff not too long ago, lost my first stock because he had put me in a situation to where I wouldn't be able to return. On my second stock, I stayed away from the edge. The second match I got into, I kept myself from getting gimped. Why? Because I learned of this player's tactics and I wasn't going to fall for it the second time around. You can put a player in a situation more than once if he or she isn't willing to learn what his or her opponent is doing, but chances are if the player learns, then the opponent won't be able to abuse the method so easily.

Pound out prioritizes fair, and when it connects it leaves Ness is a very vulnerable position. Ness's fair is not as useful as you would think.
And Pound isn't Marth's sword, either. Can you space Pound? I know you can space Ness' fair.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Pound is a good move, but that doesn't really explain how she's going to get him off stage with it. Jigglypuff's uair isn't exactly the quickest thing. If you were to ask me, I'd say using her Pound > bair is a better choice.
Pound will knock him upwards, and at low percents pound can follow up with an uair or bair, depending on their DI. Fast Fall'd upair is for popping Ness above her, where his downair isn't really much of a worry. I think the most Jigglypuff would have to worry about is Ness fast falling a bair or something into her.

The questions is, does this Ness player know how to deal with Jigglypuff? That's what I'm wondering. Here's a question. What do you think Jigglypuff would plan on doing to Ness if they're on a stage such as Delfino Plaza, Brinstar, or any stage that has something safe below for Ness? Her tactics will have become useless then, so what could she possibly do if either of those stages were counterpicked against Jigglypuff?
Another question, did I know how to play the Ness? The only place I have played a Ness was at a weekly in Chula Vista, where players like DSF go. DSF is a great Jiggz player and uses her in low tiers. I'm sure that Ness player had more experience against Jigglypuff than I did against Ness. We both broke even over the courses of the games we played.

I think both characters have good Counter picks against each other. Rainbow Cruise is great against Ness, and I don't think Delfino would change the match up much between them. As a Jiggz player Brinstar Would be the first stage for me to ban.

I believe the reason people have a hard time coming back to the stage is because Jigglypuff is forcing her opponent off the stage which causes some fear to her opponent, which makes them DI into her wall of pain in attempts to safely return to the stage. A simple aerial or dodge would help Ness get out of her wall of pain. And even then, you've still got his second jump and PKT2.
Right back at you. Even if you air dodge through, you still have 2 or 3 more jumps to deal with. Jigglypuff can waste more time off stage than Ness can, and with 5 jumps she could probably make it to the ledge before Ness (Although who can get to the ledge first is starting to get situational).

Yup, it's not easy to force Ness into the situation of gimping him. I fought a Jigglypuff not too long ago, lost my first stock because he had put me in a situation to where I wouldn't be able to return. On my second stock, I stayed away from the edge. The second match I got into, I kept myself from getting gimped. Why? Because I learned of this player's tactics and I wasn't going to fall for it the second time around. You can put a player in a situation more than once if he or she isn't willing to learn what his or her opponent is doing, but chances are if the player learns, then the opponent won't be able to abuse the method so easily.
I don't really know what to say. These are valid points, and I can't see the video to see what the puff player was doing, but it sounds like the Puff player was trying too hard to get you off the stage, and wasn't able to hold the stage themselves. As in, as soon as you weren't controlling the stage the puff player probably went after you instead of playing defensively in the middle of the stage. Tactics change throughout a match, and this sounds like a case of the puff player refusing to change his/her tactics.

And Pound isn't Marth's sword, either. Can you space Pound? I know you can space Ness' fair.
No, It is no Marths fair, but it has a lot of mix up options if you spend time looking into them. Once you get into b-reversing pounds all the sudden Jigglypuff gets way more options to get inside an opponents defense.

Thanks for being civil about all this btw.

Uffe

Smash Hero
No problem, Maniclysane. :) Perhaps the Jiggly player I was fighting refused to change his match-up, who knows? Jigglypuff's uair is no doubt good, but if Ness can use his nair or DI out of the hits into his fair, then it just counters. Pound does have good mix ups, but I believe that Ness' fair can still deal with it. I could be wrong, though. I would test this right now, but I can't because Brawl isn't my game, so I have to respect my brother's property. :/ I still think it's an even match. If this were either of the other Smash games, then I could see it being 60:40, Jigglypuff, because Ness is basically screwed in those ones.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I'm curious, who is the Ness you played? Who is the Lucas?
Gawd, it was a year or two ago. I know that sounds really lame and maybe my experience is out dated, but Jigglypuffs game hasn't changed since then and I have my doubts Ness's game has really changed much either.

Ness was his main though and didn't just use him for Low tiers.

The only Lucas I have played, was Veril on Wifi. We had a crystal clear connection though. Clear enough that we could test some perfect resting shenanigans.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Gawd, it was a year or two ago. I know that sounds really lame and maybe my experience is out dated, but Jigglypuffs game hasn't changed since then and I have my doubts Ness's game has really changed much either.

Ness was his main though and didn't just use him for Low tiers.

The only Lucas I have played, was Veril on Wifi. We had a crystal clear connection though. Clear enough that we could test some perfect resting shenanigans.
A YEAR OR TWO AGO?!?!?!?!??!?!?! Therefore, your experience is WAAAAY outdated... at least for my über ness skittles. DTILT AND PSIMAG ARE TOO PRO!!! xD
What was ness' game 2 yrs ago? I seriously think that it changed a bit. I'll ask this:
--Has the ness you played used dtilt spammingly? they should switch it up from one/two hit dtilt with immediate followup and the spammingly kind with immediate followup.
--Has the ness you played used PKFire with a lagless landing? if so, good.
--Has the ness mastered PKT to the point where they can make it go basically any angle they want without wasting time? Has that PKT been mastered to mindgame super successfully by that said ness? If not, then invalid argument.
--Has the ness used PSImag for the purpose of both absorptoin AND wind effects frequently in the match? if no, then invalid... for my ness at least.
--Has the ness used reverse hyphen usmash at will? if not, invalid argument.
.... I'm not sure what else other than the jablock and Dair leading into it very well....

Waael

The PK Thunder Ω Specialist
NNID
Chronicle4life
3DS FC
0748-2310-7315
A good Jiggly can be tough to beat, especially Her Fair. It can get really annoying, i feel like her Fair hitbox is too big.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
A YEAR OR TWO AGO?!?!?!?!??!?!?! Therefore, your experience is WAAAAY outdated... at least for my über ness skittles. DTILT AND PSIMAG ARE TOO PRO!!! xD
What was ness' game 2 yrs ago? I seriously think that it changed a bit. I'll ask this:
--Has the ness you played used dtilt spammingly? they should switch it up from one/two hit dtilt with immediate followup and the spammingly kind with immediate followup.
--Has the ness you played used PKFire with a lagless landing? if so, good.
--Has the ness mastered PKT to the point where they can make it go basically any angle they want without wasting time? Has that PKT been mastered to mindgame super successfully by that said ness? If not, then invalid argument.
--Has the ness used PSImag for the purpose of both absorptoin AND wind effects frequently in the match? if no, then invalid... for my ness at least.
--Has the ness used reverse hyphen usmash at will? if not, invalid argument.
.... I'm not sure what else other than the jablock and Dair leading into it very well....
...I'm not even going to bother.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Not going to lie, it's actually RARJCU-smash.
Yeah I know... I just use a slightly more sensible version of saying that. And its not AERIAL, but more just RRJCUsmash. or RJCUSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom