• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Power Rankings ~Looking for management~

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I tried really hard to make vbrawl interesting to me, so I switched over to brawl+. lol

But yea, just play what game you have fun in. No point in playing something you don't enjoy (unless you're making moneys)

smash64

Smash Champion
i have a tournament the 13th here in cincinnati and one tournament in sprinfield Ohio on the 20th thats where the Midwest champion ships will be ill bring the results once i get done with those tournaments

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've beaten Dajay in a pool & $mm... do those count? The $mm was only 50 cents, i wanted to get at least something back or only lose a little after losing the most epic $mm ever!! (mario bros stage is $mm worthy!!)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The list is outdated and isn't currently being updated by anybody, that's why it's inaccurate.

Apparently, somebody just did really well vs. top players w/ ness.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I honestly think one of the main reasons this died is the regional divisions of players. We're like the only character board that does that. The Link(on AiB)/ROB power rankings are done really well, and don't divide up the regions unless they've changed since the last time I looked.

It just doesn't seem to have as much meaning if someone can only get above the other 3-4 people in their own region rather than above everyone else (we know that FOW should be at the top right now, that can't even be debated). It's not really that hard to compare people from different regions because inevitably they are either going to travel or they are going to face someone who travels. If Ally came to Cali and ViceGrip beat him, then went to Kentucky and beat Protein we could be pretty sure that ViceGrip is better (just an example).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Avaricex is right... Why divide it up into regions? We should probably just have a list of all the ness mains and rearrange them based on tourney results, while keeping in mind the people they play/beat.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The regions thing was a temp situation until I had enough data to figure out where exactly to put people. I honestly had no clue how to compare WC players to EC players/other regions. Nobody really gave me the data I wanted (which I guess I should've elaborated on).

However, I still think the main reason this list died is due to the fact that nobody is updating it now?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Hey, I was around for quite some time.... I just thought vbrawl was gay and gave up on it sorry.

smash64

Smash Champion
i will be playing top players like Lain,Samurai Panda,Ally,Judge alot more this saturday at Midwest champs and i will need your guys support if you guys watch the live stream you guys will probably see me play in doubles too my tag name is 64

TRAMD

Smash Cadet
i will be playing top players like Lain,Samurai Panda,Ally,Judge alot more this saturday at Midwest champs and i will need your guys support if you guys watch the live stream you guys will probably see me play in doubles too my tag name is 64
Good luck man! Make people fear the bobble-head!

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
This is one of the most important threads in the Ness boards, but it is also one of the most ignored ones. I know the "Hyper Ness" and "Ness Should Be Banned" threads are entertaining and everything, but we Ness mains need to step it up. We already got FOW and ViceGrip stepping it up, now YOU need to step it up. Yeah I am talking about YOU. I don't hear about anyone else doing well with their Ness currently (unless Dog Latin or Cazcom are still around), because we aren't doing anything!

Not only do YOU have to step it up, but I have to step it up as well. I need to get a job so I can make some money so I can enter tournaments, which I have not entered since the end of April due to being broke. And I also need to focus a bit less on Brawl+ and more on Brawl, my Brawl+ skills have gotten amazing but I need to work on Brawl more than Brawl+. Don't worry guys, I will step up my game as well.

Time to show the world Ness isn't bottom tier trash. He isn't going to go up in tiers by us sitting on our *sses, go out there and win some f*cking tournaments.

If you are ever feeling the blues and that grab-release/gimping nonsense is making you feel down, watch these for motivation:
We Can Recover
Serious BidNESS: A ViceGrip Combo Video

smash64

Smash Champion
Dayjaman you are really ignoring my recent tournament results also right now im the best ness in the midwest and thats what other players from midwest think too and i know ness is gonna go up in the tier list!

Dajayman

I'm not ignoring your tournament results, I just never seen them. Big difference. Sorry but I don't really check out tournament results and I only go from what I hear by word of mouth. Once I get a job I want to participate in more tournaments in Chicago then eventually step it up and go to MWC tournaments. I'm just trying to motivate the Ness mains and get this thread more active.

I hope you come to some Chicago area touraments someday, I'd love to play some matches with you. If not, then hopefully I'll meet you at a future MWC.

P.S. It's Dajayman, not Dayjaman. You can even call me Dagayman. :p

Edit: 17th place in the latest MWC, good job sir. :)

Shaky

Smash Ace
Dajayman before you made that comment about FOW and Vicegrip being the only people doing well with ness you should have checked the ness tournament results thread. Me, Smash64, ColinJF and Achoral have been stepping it up for months now. I've been to 6 tournaments and I have gotten top 8 in 5 of them, smash64 is even on the Power rankings of his state, achoral is getting 1st place nonstop and ColinJF has placed top 8 recently. Also, I don't know if you have noticed but vicegrip isn't focused in brawl for the moment, his last tournament was 2 months ago, so he isn't exactly "reppin" ness right now.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
See: most Ness mains are young and aren't permitted to go by their parents/they're unable to go. Since we have a decent match up vs. metaknight all it'll take is one of us 3 stocking M2K in a friendly/winners.

All we really need is BRoom representation.

Dajayman

Edreeses seems to be the only one in the BR who represents Ness a little bit since he secondaries Ness very well. Sorry if I insulted anyone with my lack of knowledge of how you guys are doing. Great job sirs, lets keep up the good work. I wish people (including my dumb*ss self ) would notice that Ness is doing okay (pun intended) in tournaments.

Ness' tier placement can definitely go up, all the arguments why he is low tier aren't enough to keep him that low. The whole grab-release argument is bs since Wario is top tier and he has a lot of grab-release problems. His recovery isn't THAT bad, with proper DI and defense while coming back Ness should be able to make it back with just a dj + an airdodge/defending aerial to stop gimpers. And you need to know the Ness matchup a little bit in order to properly gimp Ness' pkt2, most noobs who think "Heh I'm gonna go in Ness' face and eat his pkt" end up getting a pkt2 in the face and die. Ness' ground game imo is slightly below average (look at Jiggly's ground game for a worse ground game), his grab game definitely makes up for his other ground moves' short comings.

Anyways, enough tier ranting for now. Again I'd like to congratulate all the Ness players in your tournament placings, I will hopefully be joining you soon. Like I said, the only thing holding me back is lack of money. Economy is tough, but hopefully I can find a job soon.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'm just hoping i can bring myself back up to how good i was a while back, cause I did really poorly last tournament... I can do basically all the ATs and other things consistently, but I completely forgot to do everything during that one tournament. If I can find my **** headphones, i will be getting a lot of higher places in tourneys. I can't focus when i hear everything else going on around me... one game i was overhearing someone talk about "disc-golf" while i was playing a low tier match and i just said at random "it's frolf, guys!" ... I NEED MAH MUSIK!!! I HAVEN'T LISTENED TO IT ON MY IPHONE IN NEARLY A YEAR BECAUSE EVERYONE MISPLACES MY STUFF IN OUR HOUSE!!

EDIT:
Dajayman said:
most noobs who think "Heh I'm gonna go in Ness' face and eat his pkt" end up getting a pkt2 in the face and die. Ness' ground game imo is slightly below average (look at Jiggly's ground game for a worse ground game)
I love it when that happens!! people are stupid like that sometimes.

OKAY, WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE ON NESS' GROUND GAME?!?!? Do i need to place really high in tourneys or something to show you it isn't actually that bad as people say it is? last tourney i tried to move too much towards air game constantly doing retreated fairs and other aerial tricks that ness has and ended up getting knocked out in pools, cause it's easily predictable to anyone who knows the matchup. HIS GROUND GAME IS SO UNDER-RATED!! any person will think when fighting a ness "this will be an aerial battle," so you're already put ahead before the match starts. Yo-yo mindgames are my favorite... lets say someone is falling above you and you are running towards them. you know you will just get destroyed if you do some aerial because you are completely outranged and your opponent isn't stupid to go right into your fair. instead of usmashing where they can just hit you easily, you can run past a little bit, fool them into thinking they are safe at the moment and reverse hyphen usmash for some damage pretty quickly. sure this won't work all the time, but you have one or two more options than without yoyo mindgame insanity. i mix reverse hyphen usmash into my approach sometimes too. some people expect me to instantly bring the yoyo at them for the charging hit or fair or dash attack, but i stop just outside of their grab range and wait until the most likely time for them to bring down their shield to hit them with the backswing. mastering the yoyos and everything surrounding them will give you a ton more options to improve his ground game. his AAA combo is pretty terrible with the gap between 2 and 3, his dash attack can be owned if your opponent knows how to perfect shield, his tilts are short ranged, his bat is slow, but the yoyos are fairly quick for their beginning charging hitbox to come out. also, the bad parts of his ground attacks are worked out with experience in playing ness. i reflected a shot from link's arrow several times during an actual tourney match because i can feel for when exactly to hit with it. NESS HAS A GOOD GROUND GAME, YOU JUST HAVE TO GET USED TO IT!

Dajayman

You are overrating Ness' ground game, it really isn't that good. I said it was below-average, not sh*t (look at Jigglypuff's for sh*t, probably the only good thing about her ground game is DAC and dash attack besides her grab game).

Usmash has decent range, the charge can mindgame/punish shields and spotdodges, and it pops them in the air but it lacks priority and kill power.
Ftilt has decent knockback and priority and has nice speed, but lacks range.
Utilt can combo into itself a couple times at 0% and effectively pops up opponents in the air, it has nice vertical priority/range but zero horizontal range. Plus it kills earlier than usmash.
Fsmash is too slow. It has decent range and nice kill power, but that means nothing if an opponent can see it coming and defend against it.
Jab would be better if it had more hitstun for things like jab cancels and being able to land the 3rd hit. Dsmash is bad, the charge never leads into the strong hit and many characters avoid the strong hit due to poor design on the dsmash. Only good if facing a character that can get hit by the strong hit.
Dtilt is almost useless. Very little range and zero hitstun means it can't trap people and people can easily shield and counter. Only use is if it manages to trip the opponent.

Basically most of his ground moves have at least one or two good qualities, but a lot of bad qualities. But we are getting off topic, this is a power ranking thread and not a move discussion thread. So I am done.

Dajayman

SH aerials pretty much replace Ness' ground game. Sure it is smart to mix in some of Ness' ground game once in awhile, but to use his ground game more than necessary is just dumb.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
If SH'd aerials count as ground game, you're correct.

Ness' decent ground moves:
Yo-Yo
Utilt
Ftilt
Grab
Jab

I think that's it.
SH'd aerials don't count exactly, but since they are closer to the ground than full/double jumped things maybe they could be considered ground but probably not.

-what about dtilt tripping? people who can space it really well will have an even better ground game because it is an instant trip in some spaces, but most ness players don't rely on it because it is somewhat difficult to incorporate/learn exactly where it will trip. dtilt also racks up quite a bit of damage if you can stop at the right time so you don't get punished.
-dash attack isn't bad, especially to mix in when people don't expect because it comes out quick and helps set up to combos a little.
-bat is slow i know, but it's used to punish from things like tripping, forced get-ups from locks, and really laggy stuff from opponents (and hitting the instant they land from an airdodge, but that requires perfect timing).

okay, maybe i'm giving too much credit for ness' ground game, but collectively it's not that bad... nvm this discussion!!! I'm saying his ground game is better than it actually is! but i don't like saying that ness is bad.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Over 4 days I am going to the biggest tourney from Holland this year.
I hope I place well.
I think I am going to use only ness.
There are so many marths and falco's in Holland so its gonna be tough. But I'll do my best =)

Dajayman

Over 4 days I am going to the biggest tourney from Holland this year.
I hope I place well.
There are so many marths and falco's in Holland so its gonna be tough. But I'll do my best =)
Good luck sir. Rep Ness to the best.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Why?

If you run into a matchup that's too much trouble for you, don't hesitate to use a secondary. Don't go all Ness just as a matter of principle. I would rather someone get to grand finals with the help of a secondary than get knocked out in pools because they were trying to prove something by using only one character.

But only you know how good you are, so do what you will. Good luck.

Dajayman

I am starting to think about using Bowser as a secondary, but I'd need to use him some more before I'd get comfortable with him. Plus I need to learn basic moves/matchups.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think it's foolish to argue that Ness has a below average ground game. He's got the insane range on the dash grab and the great kill power of back throw. His ground game is good enough to force people into the air because they are deathly terrified. It's definitely at least average, it's just under utilized.

Dajayman

While I enjoy abusing Ness' grab game very much, it is virtually useless on characters like Wario.

Ness' grab game makes his ground game below-average, not trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom