• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help taking my title back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
1) You have BOMBS!
That quote is too good ^_^

Your story reminds me a lot of how competitve smash came to rise in my school about 11 months ago. There was a lot of bad mouthing between a few people that didn't realize their ineptitude and lack of knowledge. Then a few of us found smashboards and blew right by the rest before long. This sudden gain of skill pushed others to at least become more informed, though a lot of them still aren't very good '-_-

My only advice (I don't play samus), is to not get too absorbed in your character as you fight. Yes, while still learning and contructing a play style with the new advanced tactics can make it tempting to take a few looks at your own character to make sure things are functioning smoothly. But even in the learning stages, it is important to be observing your opponent so that you aren't getting beaten by some stupidly simple tactic. Make sure you stay unpredictable, or your opponent (assuming they can change it up, judging by the sound of your competition, I'm speaking in a more general sense that perhaps would occur more down the road...) quickly craft a counterstyle built particularly for beating yours. Combos are good and edgeguarding is even better! If you can edgeguard so well they almost always lose a stock once they're off the stage (or at least take a lot of hits before finally getting back), the match will be made much easier.

Anyway, I wish you luck at your tournament, I hope you regain that title ^_^

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
uthrow is sooo good on space animals.
:laugh: ROTFLOL! :laugh:

I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh so hard that I caught the attention of about half of my workmates in the office. This is the expression most gave me. :ohwell:

Oh well. Thanks everyone. I haven't read all the posts since my last one, so it might take me a moment to respond.

LOL. Space animals.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
This is a really entertaining thread.........cool to see someone actually feeling humbled and trying to improve instead of acting like a baby when they realize how far they have to go.

I was going to recommend you try to learn Marth as a backup since you used to play Roy.....that and Marth can handle some matchups better than Samus.

Some tips for Samus people haven't mentioned: I can tell your tech skill level from your stories so here are some more basic tips...............

1. CC d-smash is fantastic as you've already seen.........but if you want to combo, try a CC downtilt into a forward air, forward smash, neutral air, or even dash attack and go from there.

2. You might want to try some more forward tilts.......they can really frustrate Fox if you can land them because they outrange his ground attacks.

3. You can try to bomb the ground repeatedly and "bait" Fox (or any character) into rushing into the bomb and then following with an attack. You can even bomb jump off the bomb into a missile cancel or down-air.

4. Here's a useful one: If the Fox guy starts trying to reflect missiles..........missile cancel>run forward and jump>fastfall into a down-air while he's in the reflect lag. This requires being able to SHFFL and L-cancel and is much easier if you use the C-stick.

5. Almost forgot to mention: Samus has a pretty nasty up-tilt........it's got high priority, you can combo off of it, and it does good damage. It can be difficult to land and has some lag however so don't spam it. It can be very useful if the Fox is dumb and like to crouch cancel next to Samus or for edgeguarding..........it also reaches above some low platforms when you're on the ground which leads to>

6. Learn to chase the opponent on platforms (this applies to all characters).............once you throw them or hit them onto a platform, they can only tech, roll or do a "get up" attack. This becomes very predictable since they can only go left, right or get up and you can wait for them to move and then do a well spaced neutral air, charged shot, down-air, etc. and combo from that.

For Marth:

1. The reason a good Marth can do those nasty combos is because they L-cancel well......to be honest if you can't L-cancel too well yet, you're going to have trouble comboing floaty characters. If you can chaingrab fastfallers already, Marth might be a good bet against a bad Fox or Mario.

2. The platform tip I gave before is one of Marth's specialties........get a fastfaller (or even mid-weight) onto a platform with an upthrow or something, then uptilt and up-air their *** to about 80%........then your friends will really complain.

3. Marth's grab game is insane.......almost any grab leads to something. Grab every chance you get with Marth and experiment with up-tilts and forward smashes immediately following the throw (up-throw and forward throw are best).

4. Don't forget about Marth's down-tilt........it's probably one of the best in the game and one of Marth's best moves. You can even approach with it by running, crouch cancelling, and then pressing down-A all at once.

5. Learn to chain forward-airs together.........even if you can't L-cancel well you can probably get 2-3 forward airs on a floaty character like Mario at certain %s. These obviously can lead into a forward smash or spike (Ken combo).

From your descriptions of your "Nemesis" he sounds pretty awful.........so these tips should give you a serious upper hand. Bust out the Marth against him and pick Yoshi's story.......probably an easy 3-stock even without much advanced tech. Also, if you're serious about SSBM, you really should stick to the tournament maps instead of Hyrule.........I used to like Hyrule maybe 5 years ago but it's just horrible for advanced smash.

Anyway good luck against that d-bag (probably don't need it:laugh: ) and try to get a recording..........not too hard if someone has a camcorder and the TV has an output. You could even record the screen itself.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like you should have no trouble here, unless one thing happens. What if your nemesis found this place and is keeping up with this thread, and is only feigning lack of advanced techneques like you were?
*Cues the DUN dun DUNNNNNN! and paranoia*

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
:laugh: ROTFLOL! :laugh:

I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh so hard that I caught the attention of about half of my workmates in the office. This is the expression most gave me. :ohwell:

Oh well. Thanks everyone. I haven't read all the posts since my last one, so it might take me a moment to respond.

LOL. Space animals.
...while it may seem funny, most people refer to Fox and Falco as "Space animals" when they want to group them together >_>

This topic is so inspirational that I picked up Samus.

Corigames

Smash Hero
So more have now joined the dark side because of this thread... then... this thread is full of win!

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Isn't your rival going to wonder "how the heck you do that sliding thing?" What are you gonna tell him? Would you feel obliged to enlighten him about this site, or will you keep it your secret?

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Very enetertaing stories este.

Also, one good tactic to use on your opponent, b/c he doesn't seem to know how to l-cancel his aerials is to up+b out of shield with samus. I am not sure if you know this but, this works because you can jump out of your shield with no lag. Thus, how you do this is basically quickly press up, then b immediately after, and viola, the fox get's trapped in the screwdriver attack. You can also do your up smash out of shield, but that doesn't seem as useful with samus, imo.

Also, it seems like your nemesis does not know that he can up+b again if you walk into the attack (at least I am pretty sure you can). Don't tell him this though ;)

Zodiac

Smash Master
isn't samus's dtilt an awesome combo setup? you could use that or an fsmash after ccing.

also, comboing like kizzu is one hell of a goal. He's played marth for a very long time. Studying the combo videos aren't the best way of improving you comboing game, though it may help.

also, if your opponents di away, then its harder to combo.

don't focus on getting the meteor. Start with just chaining utilts, uairs, and fairs together. maybe bair as neccessary, and if you can get a grab, DO SO! uthrow is sooo good on space animals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QuOQtN8ySg

After watching the above video let me break it down. Im no samus player but I second/third Marth. My arch nemesis also mains fox. But Whenever I use Marth and he tries to sweet spot the ledge, I use marths Down b(His counter) his charge B, and his forward smash. to edge guard him.

when to use them!

1.The counter attack (Down B) When you see that Fox's Firefox is going come above the ledge.

2.The Forward Smash , When fox tries to illusion recover or his fire fox comes up above the ledge.

3.The Down tilt, When fox starts using his firefox(Up b) right next to the ledge.

Just watch the video for a much better understanding of what I just explained.

General Fox vs Marth tips.

Fox has a Much shorter range than Marth does. Marths sword is a serious threat. If he's one of those foxes that likes to approach by jumping with arieals, do a quick short hop neutral A attack, that should keep him at bay pretty well. Marth can chain throw fox, remember that.

Up throw, Grab, up throw, grab, up throw. And if your opponent di's(Directional influence) then you have to be quick. but you can rack up about %30 -%50 damage on him before he can break out of it, and once he's at too high a percentage to break out of it. Start doing up tilts.

Especially if he's on a platform above you. Also. For Marth, watch out if he starts using the up throw up air tactic. That works especially well on Marth.

this and video should give a good start on your fox vs Marth game. Hope this has been helpful.

squaminator

Smash Ace
well,with fox, try using firefox on them like a maniac,it does help win matches....sometimes;)
huh? he's a samus player...

and if you firefox alot, then most people will anticipate it and either start a combo on you or forward smash you.

estebeatdown, check the join date and post count before you take advice. This is a great example.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Another piece of advice when learning advanced tactics is.

don't force them into your strategy, when I learned them thats what I did and it RUINED, my game. rather just use what you know and when the time comes you'll react with(Insert AT here). The most important one to practice right now is L-canceling. VERY useful, as the video says.

This worked for me but don't know if it worked for other people, good luck.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481

and if you firefox alot, then most people will anticipate it and either start a combo on you or forward smash you.

estebeatdown, check the join date and post count before you take advice. This is a great example.
Those don't help that much. The King has 50 posts and just joined and is one of the most intelligent smashers. My join date is like two years ago, but I've only become active recently and I spam a lot.

The best way to take advice is to try it out for yourself and view other people's comments about it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd say look at everything, including the post and base the accuracy of the info off of stuff like post count and join date, I've been on this site often so I've learned a helluva lot even though I joined like 5 months ago. I've seen some 2001 members that don't know jack either, so join date isn't always the best thing to go by.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I made a thread a while back that lasted a good while and had some very good discussion. It was basically on the levels of smash and taking widely known study strategies for improvement in schoolwork/sports/etc and applying them to smash. Here is the thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=85827

Also, I have an entire article that sums up most of what I said and learned from that thread on Sirlin's forums here: http://www.sirlin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5

Now, onto what I was going to say specifically to you.

You have a large group of very competitive players it seems, and you seem to really want to improve, so instead of bickering between your nemesis and all that you should focus on EVERYONE'S improvement. That includes numnuts. You WILL NOT progress unless they progress as well. You cannot get better, or at least become great, by ****** people who are less skilled than you. Leave your pride at the door and focus on learning and teaching everyone, and don't wait around.

The current skill gap will present you with many opportunities to try the newer strategies, so don't worry about winning, focus on implementing. You are already on the right path, I just want to stress it. Play your brother a lot if you can, it will probably be the easiest way to get in practice, and you shouldn't keep any secrets from him. He seems smart seeing as how he adjusted his strategy to deal with crouch canceling so fast. For now, when you play him, don't worry about winning both of you should be learning how to apply the strategies.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Wow. I didn't expect so many replies in just one day. This is crazy! LOL.

It sounds like you should have no trouble here, unless one thing happens. What if your nemesis found this place and is keeping up with this thread, and is only feigning lack of advanced techneques like you were?
*Cues the DUN dun DUNNNNNN! and paranoia*
ROTFLOL!

That's a possiblility. I highly doubt it though. He is an impatient type of guy. He would have challenged me right at the moment he learned how to CC. Heck, he was so excited when he found out he could chain Fox's down throw grab and shine that he made a special effort to come across town to my house to try and beat me with it (this was way before he was any good. It's no indication of his current skills). Of course, he spent the whole time trying to do it, which ended with me having the most lopsided win against him ever.

This topic is so inspirational that I picked up Samus.
This is going in my SIG!

try to get a recording..........not too hard if someone has a camcorder and the TV has an output. You could even record the screen itself.
I just love your post quality. Posting videos would really help us give you better more specific advise.
Suggestion applied! I am currently in plans to record a video this weekend of myself vs my brother in order to show you all exactly where I am. I hope it's not too grainy.

So more have now joined the dark side because of this thread... then... this thread is full of win!
I'm just sure this is a compliment! I will give proper thanks as soon as I understand who being "full of win" means!

Isn't your rival going to wonder "how the heck you do that sliding thing?" What are you gonna tell him? Would you feel obliged to enlighten him about this site, or will you keep it your secret?
You have a large group of very competitive players it seems, and you seem to really want to improve, so instead of bickering between your nemesis and all that you should focus on EVERYONE'S improvement. That includes numnuts. You WILL NOT progress unless they progress as well. You cannot get better, or at least become great, by ****** people who are less skilled than you. Leave your pride at the door and focus on learning and teaching everyone, and don't wait around.

The current skill gap will present you with many opportunities to try the newer strategies, so don't worry about winning, focus on implementing. You are already on the right path, I just want to stress it. Play your brother a lot if you can, it will probably be the easiest way to get in practice, and you shouldn't keep any secrets from him. He seems smart seeing as how he adjusted his strategy to deal with crouch canceling so fast. For now, when you play him, don't worry about winning both of you should be learning how to apply the strategies.
The feeling I seem to be getting is somewhat conflicting. While I would like to keep these tactics on the downlow until after the tournament, I feel as if perhaps I should let them in on it so they can have a fair chance.

On the otherhand, I am eagerly anticipating the tournament for the fact that I want to show and amaze everyone first hand. That would not be possible if I went and immedietly blurted out my findings.

You could liken it to someone finding a cave of treasure. He found it first, right? Shouldn't he be entitled to fill his coffers beforehand? After he has gotten his satisfaction, he could then decide to keep the rest to himself and never share it (which is what most would do) or tell everyone the location of this cave so they could benefit.

Of course, if I was the person who did not know about this treasure, I would want to be told the location of this cave. I would fully understand though, if the discoverer decided not to tell me until he got what he wanted. That's in his right, since he did find it first, and I should just be grateful that he even bothered to impart this knowledge to me.

Catch my drift? Am I being a jerk for wanting to get my satisfaction first before teaching them the ways of advanced smash?

General Fox vs Marth tips.

Fox has a Much shorter range than Marth does. Marths sword is a serious threat. If he's one of those foxes that likes to approach by jumping with arieals, do a quick short hop neutral A attack, that should keep him at bay pretty well. Marth can chain throw fox, remember that.

Up throw, Grab, up throw, grab, up throw. And if your opponent di's(Directional influence) then you have to be quick. but you can rack up about %30 -%50 damage on him before he can break out of it, and once he's at too high a percentage to break out of it. Start doing up tilts.

Especially if he's on a platform above you. Also. For Marth, watch out if he starts using the up throw up air tactic. That works especially well on Marth.
I like your arieals tip. I'm going to try that. Thanks a million.

Those don't help that much. The King has 50 posts and just joined and is one of the most intelligent smashers. My join date is like two years ago, but I've only become active recently and I spam a lot.

The best way to take advice is to try it out for yourself and view other people's comments about it.
I'd say look at everything, including the post and base the accuracy of the info off of stuff like post count and join date, I've been on this site often so I've learned a helluva lot even though I joined like 5 months ago. I've seen some 2001 members that don't know jack either, so join date isn't always the best thing to go by.
LOL. I'm just taking them as they come. That's why I practice. Eventually, I find out for myself which tips are gold and which one's I should give to my brother. LOL. Joking!

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
While MookieRah is right (always is), I'm going to suggest that you beat your rival into the ground with what you've learned from here. He's been somewhat of a jerk to you, so it's a little bit payback (>_>), but the more important thing I'm looking at here is that if you beat your rival, and then say "I'll teach people how to play like this," it might get more people interested in receiving your training, which goes back to what Mookie suggested: get people around you better.

A lot of my training stems from Mookie's Cash Battle videos.

EDIT: Glad to hear I've been sigged >_>

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
While MookieRah is right (always is), I'm going to suggest that you beat your rival into the ground with what you've learned from here. He's been somewhat of a jerk to you, so it's a little bit payback (>_>), but the more important thing I'm looking at here is that if you beat your rival, and then say "I'll teach people how to play like this," it might get more people interested in receiving your training, which goes back to what Mookie suggested: get people around you better.

EDIT: Glad to hear I've been sigged >_>
Thanks Dazwa. Did you get a chance to read my response to MookieRah in my previous post? I think you replied right as I was pushing my post button.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Catch my drift? Am I being a jerk for wanting to get my satisfaction first before teaching them the ways of advanced smash?
Looking back on my post I can see it being all kinds of confusing and not exactly the entirety of the point I wanted to get across. The first paragraph was a broad statement on improving in general, and that you should eventually tell them about the site. The second being that you should go ahead and tell your brother about it, and both of you focus on improving.

It won't make a difference if you wait until after the tournament to tell your church about the site. In actuality it will probably get EVERYONE there pumped. So for best dramatic effect, it would be good to wait till after the tournament, but still you should tell your brother about the site now and keep practicing. Like everyone is saying, it's one thing to know "how" to wavedash/missile cancel/etc. but it's a completely different thing to know "when" to do them. Why just beat them when instead you and your brother could absolutely destroy them, with not just CCing, but with all sorts of better and flashier looking techniques and strategies that are well implemented. I'm not saying that the focus on being flashy is what you should do, but being GOOD is flash in itself, and Samus has a WHOLE box full of crazy **** she has that is flashy AND effective.

The more you wow them, the more pumped they will be about their own improvement, also the bigger skill gap there will be between them and you. Keep in mind, you still have your bro, who will be the new 2nd if the two of you work on these things together, so you have the best of both worlds going on. A good sparring partner, and a bunch of people you can beat up on so you can win while focussing on implementing. Not to mention that having people underneath you when you get to the point where you learn to start tricking your opponent and get into the realm of mindgames.

ROFL XD. It's been so long since I've heard someone reference Cash Battle, wow, that just made my day.

Edit:
Meant to mention this, although I kinda imply it, but it's something you need to realize if you are leading a smash group. Different players react differently to new stuff. There is a chance that some of the group will disband because they either don't have the time or the patience to implement advanced techniques. Since you are their #1, you really need to focus on the morale of your crew, and try to spend extra time with people that are losing interest. I know your schedule has to be crazy seeing as how you have to work around your wife, and honestly, I KNOW how you feel about that. While I'm not married, I have a girlfriend who hates smash on the basis that she always feels secondary to it, which isn't true at all, but she takes me wanting to play smash a few times a week with friends as it being more important or something -_-. If you can't do it, have someone in your group help too. I'm thinking your brother would probably be a good candidate.

Also, do you have AIM/Yahoo/etc?

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the topic of this thread inspiring people, you've done it for me too. Until a few days ago, when I found this thread, I kept screwing up while practicing L-Canceling, and decided to stop and try again later. It never worked. Hearing you getting it down so quickly made me try again, and an hour or two later, I started not only L-Canceling, but SHFFLing. One of the things the majority of my friends had over me. I could still win often without advanced techneques because I'm great with the basics, I guess. But they recently got a hang on how I play normally and have gotten better with the advanced stuff. Finally, I can catch back up to them. Thanks for being awesome! ^_^

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The feeling I seem to be getting is somewhat conflicting. While I would like to keep these tactics on the downlow until after the tournament, I feel as if perhaps I should let them in on it so they can have a fair chance.

On the otherhand, I am eagerly anticipating the tournament for the fact that I want to show and amaze everyone first hand. That would not be possible if I went and immedietly blurted out my findings.

You could liken it to someone finding a cave of treasure. He found it first, right? Shouldn't he be entitled to fill his coffers beforehand? After he has gotten his satisfaction, he could then decide to keep the rest to himself and never share it (which is what most would do) or tell everyone the location of this cave so they could benefit.

Of course, if I was the person who did not know about this treasure, I would want to be told the location of this cave. I would fully understand though, if the discoverer decided not to tell me until he got what he wanted. That's in his right, since he did find it first, and I should just be grateful that he even bothered to impart this knowledge to me.

Sir, I completely understand. I'm actually like this. Since my Gamecube isn't working my progression has been severely stunted. It took me 5 months in all [from when I found out until I had the basics] for me to even learn how to SHFFL . Now and I have learn WDing which is going to take the rest of the year to learn to use [based on how long it took to learn SHFFL].

I told my friends about WDing, SHFFLing, JCing L-cancelling but they don't think they don't need it but I plan to learn it and use it well. So until I get a GC I can't learn them well or show my friends how to use them. I'm better than most of my friends. I'd be an arrogant prick to say I have no competition, I lost 2 out of 3 matches against someone around my skill level so I'd say he's my rival, I assume he thinks of me as his rival [friendly rivallary] so it's healthy competition.

He knows how to SHFFL and WD but he only SHFFLs. Once I learn to control WDing and SHFFLing better then he'll need to step it up, because in my sloppy form I can take him down to 1 stock most of the time so I intend to fill him in on the uses of these techs before my other friends and after I become undisputedly better than him.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
While we're on the topic of this thread inspiring people, you've done it for me too. Until a few days ago, when I found this thread, I kept screwing up while practicing L-Canceling, and decided to stop and try again later. It never worked. Hearing you getting it down so quickly made me try again, and an hour or two later, I started not only L-Canceling, but SHFFLing. One of the things the majority of my friends had over me. I could still win often without advanced techneques because I'm great with the basics, I guess. But they recently got a hang on how I play normally and have gotten better with the advanced stuff. Finally, I can catch back up to them. Thanks for being awesome! ^_^
LOL. Man. thanks for everything guys!

Now, I really hope I don't lose. I'm sure I won't though. You guys have been helping me alot, and I really appreciate it! When I win, you guys will all be a part of that. I'm gonna put "Smashboards Helped Me Get This Back!" right on that title!

Also, thanks for understanding about the whole "I'll tell them later" thing. I would have felt really bad if I found out I was being a smash-tard.

<3's for everyone!

P.S. (Note: THIS IS NOT A SHAMELESS PLUG!) I play this game called Unification Wars, and it's based on exploring space in order to discover new planets. Everytime you set out on an exploration, you discover a random amount of systems based on how large your attack fleet is. Well, I playing earlier and... well... I think the game likes me...

http://photo.ringo.com/205/205666600O654015019.jpg

Elrodillazo

Smash Apprentice
i agree with the "I'll tell them later" thing because you wanna have payback against your rival so thats cool but be sure to tell them when you win the tourney to get your smash community to another level and to have more fun in this game btw when is the tourney?

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Lemme give you my piece of advise as well! Before I begin I must let you know that I only read up to page 4 so I don't know what people have posted after that.Anyway here goes...Up till now the members of smashboards led you to expert moves and techs you never knew they existed and should you learn these stuff your gameplay will greatly improve.However you might want to note that once you're up in the air you're in it for a big punishment from Fox and his crazy aerials! You must learn how to effectively and accurately use your Nair(Neutral Air) your Bair (Back Air) your Fair and your Dair.You really need to perform these moves with deadly accuracy if you wanna get back to the ground after being send up into the air.Also your bombs will help you up in the air as well as down on the ground. e.g up in the air if you lay bombs Fox will have a harder time hitting you again to finish you off. e.g2 on the ground lay a couple of bombs to stop Fox from running and then when he naturally jumps up to hit you you might wanna counter him with a dash attack and then combo him in ways you see fit. I hope I helped even a tiny bit to your crusade reclaiming your tittle back! (I had a similar situation but when I joined smashboards I had the problem no more! Wish you the best!!)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think we are waiting for him to A: do the tournament, or B: squeeze in some time to play/go to the boards when he isn't with his wife.

xeno

Smash Ace
Awesome stories man!
I'm 5 pages into this thread and am compelled to comment. Great to see you're learning the techniques!
Beware should your opponent learn shine spiking.. its the nastiest move in Fox's arsenal.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
I think we are waiting for him to A: do the tournament, or B: squeeze in some time to play/go to the boards when he isn't with his wife.
Hey guys. Sorry about the delay. I know I said I would keep you all updated, but it's been a horrible week since last Friday. My truck tires got bashed, my head got thrashed, and my computer crashed... in that order.

It's funny how you don't know just how inconsiderate fellow driver's can be until you're replacing your tires because of one of them. I found out the hard way. On Tuesday of last week, my wife had decided to stay for a couple of days with her mother down in Big Spring. Not because of marital problems mind you, but just because she missed her family (we've only been married for a short while, so she hasn't grown that detest for family yet). It was now Friday, and I was scheduled to go pick her up. To make the trip less mudane, I decided to bring along my friend "The Maker Of Pies" so we could discuss SSMB and Guild Wars tactics.

One thing I know about my wife is that she loves her family immensly, so I knew she was going to be sad to leave. Therefore, I decided to get tickets to a movie I knew she really wanted to see (and I as well), Spiderman 3. Now if you don't remember, last week was the premier, so tickets were real hard to come by. I had to wake up early in the morning and go to the theater to aquire a few. Even then, most were already sold out, so I had to get a 9:30 showing. Meh, no problem I guess.

This is around the time when the sky's opened up and decided that it would be pretty dang hilarious to rain on my parade.

On the way back from Big S, I noticed I was traveling behind some sort of work truck. The latch on one of it's back panels was rattling somewhat, but I didn't think anything of it. I was more preoccupied with listening to my wife and making it back to Midland in time to take her to see the movie. Next thing I know, however, I hear a POP! That pop is then followed by 2 more wallet emptying POPS! Dumfounded, I pull off to the side of the overpass (which is undeniably the WORST place to have a flat tire) and, to my horror, find that three of my tires have been shredded. The culprit? A box of nails that had fallen out of the work truck in front of me. And here I was with only one spare tire and a near dead cell phone. Needless to say, I was pissed. My wife, who has always been the calm one, did a really good job at keeping enough cool for us both. I could not say the same for my friend, who "vowed vengance on the driver of that ****ed horsepowered demon."

Now, changing one tire is not a problem. But three is somewhat different, especially when you only have one spare tire AND the location of your mishap happens to be on an overpass known for it's busy traffic of semi trucks. We managed to get ahold of one of my other friends, who brought us 2 more spares. He however, failed to bring a jack (or should I say MY jack, the one I lent him almost 2 months ago when he needed to do some maintenance on his Mustang). Now, at this point, we are in real danger of missing the movie (not to mention the obvious danger of the semi's), but I was determined to atleast get my truck off of the overpass. If I had to leave my vehicle overnight, I didn't want to abandon it in a location where a driver could easily not notice it and run into it head first. I didn't want my vehicle to be the cause of someone losing a beloved family member. Therefore, knowing full well the damage I could do, I decided to try and drive (SLOWLY) off the overpass with nothing but my rims and a prayer. I told my wife and friends to get down to the bottom and wait for me. As I drove down, I thankfully caught the attention of a police officer. He had a jack in his possesion, and quite handely proceeded to shrink the testicles of my two friends and I by doing in 15 minutes what we couldn't do in 3 hours (I swear he also made a pass at my wife).

I went to go pick up my wife at 6:00. The whole ordeal lasted until 10:30 at night. We missed the movie. When my wife and I got home, we went to bed and fell asleep. The total cost of the whole ordeal? $220 (not including the defunct movie tickets). Sigh. Well, atleast it was the weekend, right? WRONG!

The next few days were a cloud in my mind. Maybe it was the weather, or the odd aroma of impending doom in the air. I'm pretty sure however, it was mainly due to the INSANE POUNDING MIGRANE / STOMACHE BUG / BLISTERING FEVER that I was to endure for the rest of what seemed like forever. I don't know how I caught it. Maybe it was that chilly Friday night that caused it. All I know is, I am sooo grateful I have a wife. She took good care of Mr. EsteBeatDown. I do, however, now hate chicken soup. Trying eating that stuff for 3 days straight. It has it's appeal at first, but that's before you remember that it's mainly a soup that you eat when your are bedridden. After awhile, it starts to taste like medicine. Just with imitation chicken chunks in it.

Anyways, as you can tell, I didn't get to film that Smash session like I promised you all. I was in no position to do so, as my position was mostly face down over a sweat drenched pillow. I am going to try and do it sometime this week before the tournament (which is to take place this week, but is also rumored to have been postponed until next. I will find out tonight).

Oh yeah, and about my computer crashing. That's just what happened, it crashed. Nothing really creative to say about that. It just blew up in my face, so to speak. I sent it to a tech to get repaired, and I should get it back by tomorrow. It didn't really bother me that much, since I didn't have the health do anything on it anyways. I just included it because I needed something that rhymed with "thrashed."

squaminator

Smash Ace
i'm so sorry. that sucks. tell your wife that she has my condolences. And tell her spiderman 3 was good and she should see it. And buy the game.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
GAWD!

Is there anything more frustrating than bomb recovering with Samus, only to accidentally hit the directional down while going for the A button (besides everything in my previous post, of course)?!

I swear on my rapidly deteriorating demeanor and bad haircut that I will GET THESE TACTICS DOWN before I end up getting my ego handed to me on a silver controller!

ARGH!!!

Hey, I'm a smash child now. Nice.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My friend has been known to accidentally perform the "missile recovery" when bombjumping.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Awwwww.... I feel bad for you now. That freaking sucks. -_-

However, you certainly know how to keep a story going. I kept reading it because you rock. ^_^

I suppose there's really not much to say about Smash, except I haven't come into any new super-secret Samus or Marth tips. If I do, I'll tell you. I missed this topic! XD

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Hey all. Just stopping by to let you all know everything is going as planned. The tournament is scheduled for *gasp* tomorrow, and I feel HORRIBLY AKWARD... I feel like I will PWN, but I just don't feel quite right.

For some reason, I feel like this will be the tournament to show if I have really improved or not. I'm sure I have, but it just doesn't feel like it. Oh sure, I can wave dash (to some degree). I know when to implement the CC and the basic mechanics of SHFFLing. I can even do the Samus specific things like bomb recovering and missle cancelling. But, it just doesn't feel right for some reason.

I think I know what it is. In fact, I know what it is.... I think. Let's just say I am certainly uncertain. I think that maybe it's because....

I don't think I will REALLY be testing myself out tomorrow.

Could that be it? I mean, these guys are good. But to me, it's become more like they "were" good, you know? Back when I was uninformed, I would always think to myself, "How in the world am I going to pull off a victory this time?" I always managed to, but it was because I was always just 1 step ahead of them. This time around however, it feels more like I'm 3 or 4 steps ahead. I know that sound arrogant, but let me tell you why I feel that way...

I recently had another sparring session with another one of my smashmates. Now, this guy is (or was) pretty good. I had a hell of a time playing him during the tournament I mentioned at the outset of our wonderful little thread here. I remember he finished 4th at that time using (of course) Fox. So he would be another good indication of my improvement.

During our session, I.... didn't feel all that challenged. All of his previous tactics just didn't work. For instance, he likes to spam Fox's ariel manuvers. Usually, I would have roll dodged my way out of harm, but that in turn gave him the opportunity to try someting else (since Fox obviously has the speed to do so). I would have to play defense the whole time until he would finally make a mistake that allowed me to exploit his opening and crush him. He always though, kept on my toes. But this time, that was not the case.

For instance, there were many instances where he would try his dash attack. Normally, I would roll dodge and try to counter attack, usually to just have him roll dodge and start the whole process again. However, I started implementing the CC. Sure, I would suffer a few damage percentage, but it was a good investment when considering the rewards. I would follow the CC with a Down A attack, strung together then with a few combo air attacks from me (and a few choice swear words from him (that would then be followed by a "Watch your tongue young man. This isn't Jerry Springer")). Basically, this was the tone of the match. I would throw in a WD here, then I would missle cancel like crazy, edge hog, and at one point I even got to show him a small version of the bomb recovery. But all in all, it was all too.... not too easy but... I guess just predictable?

Don't get me wrong. I AM TOTALLY Ub3RR STOKED TO PWN ME SOME N00BS TOMORROW!!!!!!!11!1!!11 But I guess you could say it's become like a Vegita storyline (for you DBZ enthusiasts out there). Vegita, once he know's he can beat someone, searches for a better opponent. And when he finds one he can't beat, he trains until he can.

My solution to this problem however, won't require me to search for a better opponent, but rather help to train my smash compadres to the point to where I can start, once again, wondering, "How the heck am I gonna pull out a win this time?"

SIDENOTE: If anyone out there plays Guild Wars, I play quite often (when the wife is at work or is irritated with me). My handle is Este Beat Down (spaces are needed). I will be on later today, so look me up!

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Tomorrow, after you've won the tournament (if you win, but by the way you're making it sound...), you HAVE to say "HULKAMANIA JUST RAN WILD OVER YOU, BROTHER!"

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
My solution to this problem however, won't require me to search for a better opponent, but rather help to train my smash compadres to the point to where I can start, once again, wondering, "How the heck am I gonna pull out a win this time?"
Yup :-P. Sorry, but there is no way around it. In order to get better at this point you will have to either A: Find someone outside of your group that is better or B: Train up your friends and hope they stick with it long enough to give you a challenge. Just **** at the tournament, and then show them the site. If you have a laptop, bust that out and show them the site immediately after the tournament. Hell, have an after tournament party of practicing advanced techniques if you can. I'm sure they will want to start working on that right away.

I remember WAY WAY WAY back when my friend and I discovered the boards. I printed off character guides and gave them to my friends. We kind of dropped a collective **** after realizing how much more complex the game was, and this was back before a lot of the even newer stuff was discovered. I can only imagine how it would be now, but just try to make sure you keep their morale up and don't quit. The truly fun stuff is coming, you will probably see a huge shift in rankings of your area soon.
SIDENOTE: If anyone out there plays Guild Wars, I play quite often (when the wife is at work or is irritated with me). My handle is Este Beat Down (spaces are needed). I will be on later today, so look me up!
I play, although I'm kind of bored with it at the moment. Add Mooks Rah when you get the chance, and I hope you have NF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom