• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help taking my title back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
lol, yeah. That would not go over well. But do as Red said. Moderation is the key. Do all of these advanced things that are transferable to any character (WD, CC, etc.) and then, possibly after this event coming up, go to the Samus boards and learn the Samus specific stuff there (Like SWDing, which is very fun.). Without anyone else doing this stuff, you should own... more like ****.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
LOL that story was entertainment. 5 stars

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
*OMG!* LOL. I 4M 7077411Y 60in6 70 R0XX0RX! 13337n355!

LOL. Anyways. The reason for my sudden 1337 outspurt is this...

I just watched that advanced tutorial video that you all recommended and holy sonofamotherless crap on a stick of trident, I was amazed. There are just so many options. I now realize how n00bish I am. I thought I was good. I thought my nemesis was good...

But now, son of a bean dip mother frito, it's gonna change. There are just so many tactics I can use that I know NO ONE is going to be expecting. No more roll dodging for me. Shield Up B Smash. Wavedash. Freaking edge... everything!

Don't get me wrong. I already knew alot of these "basic" techniques (like teching, edge hogging/hopping, shield grabbing), but these other tactics are going to help me PWN.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Keep the tips coming. I'll let you know how my training is going. I might even teach my brother these things, so he can take over for me after my inevitable 2nd retirement. LOL.
Just remember that learning how to actually do them is one thing but incorporating them into your game is another thing. To effectively do something (Samus is just tricky tricky) you need to know exactly when to apply it, but remember if you abuse it too much they will catch on, ie. dashdancing - waiting for them to dodge but instead they fsmash you.

Keep things like that in mind, good luck.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
i hope you know that the extended grapple is hardly worth the trouble.
Yeah, that's the feel I am getting. Seems to be only good for taunting your opponent.

I've realized that alot of these things I can't abuse. But I think there is enough to keep them guessing. I never thought of incorporating the shield grab or croutch cancelling into my game. It was always roll dodge for me. I'm starting to get used to applying all three to keep my opponent on their toes. It worked well yesterday, when I played one of my friends (who happens to be my smash partner in 2 vs 2 games). When he thought I was going to shield grab, I rolled and smashed, and visa versa.

So far, I've gotten L cancelling/croutch and dash cancelling/shield grabbing and Samus's bomb recovery down pretty well. Coupled with all of these other things I already knew (like short hopping and edge-hogging), I should be able to PWN for now. I don't have wavedashing completely down yet, therefore I am not to comfortable using it in battle right now. But I shouldn't need it yet, seeing as how I now have a great advantage over them already. I'll keep practicing those other things so I can use them later on, when they start developing an "immunity" against my current arsenal.

shoe

Smash Ace
I think CC'ing alone would probably make you the champion again.

Someone sugested that you don't point the techniques out to your rival, but you really should. In fact, you should tell everybody about this site. It will make the level of competition in your church rise, and eventually the game will turn to be a lot more fun.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
I think CC'ing alone would probably make you the champion again.

Someone sugested that you don't point the techniques out to your rival, but you really should. In fact, you should tell everybody about this site. It will make the level of competition in your church rise, and eventually the game will turn to be a lot more fun.
LOL. I'll let them come to me....

(PWNED: Master. Please, you must show us how you once again competely PWNed us all in such convincing fashion. We will not rest until you have related all of your wisdom and might on our poor, insignificant beings.)
(ESTEBEATDOWN: Eh, I don't know. I'm not sure you are worthy enough.)
(PWNED: Please, oh manevolant one! Bestow your smash blessing on us so we may too thrive on the outskirts of Hyrule Castle! Help us to PWN other n00bs who know not the way of the smash!)
(ESTEBEATDOWN: Oh, okay. First, rub my feet.)
(PWNED: Hurry lads! Fetch the baby oil and sand paper! We have much work to do!)

Well, it doesn't have to go exactly like that, but something similar. LOL.

squaminator

Smash Ace
LOL. I'll let them come to me....

(PWNED: Master. Please, you must show us how you once again competely PWNed us all in such convincing fashion. We will not rest until you have related all of your wisdom and might on our poor, insignificant beings.)
(ESTEBEATDOWN: Eh, I don't know. I'm not sure you are worthy enough.)
(PWNED: Please, oh manevolant one! Bestow your smash blessing on us so we may too thrive on the outskirts of Hyrule Castle! Help us to PWN other n00bs who know not the way of the smash!)
(ESTEBEATDOWN: Oh, okay. First, rub my feet.)
(PWNED: Hurry lads! Fetch the baby oil and sand paper! We have much work to do!)

Well, it doesn't have to go exactly like that, but something similar. LOL.
I like you. You've got spunk.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
I like you. You've got spunk.
LOL. I'm kind of like that dog that just shows up at your door. It's scruffy, dirty, and not too bright. But it just has such an eccentric additute that, well, ya' just gotta keep it. I mean, you know he will learn eventually. Until then however, just keep leaving out those training mats for me, I'll try my best not to get any on the carpet!

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
***UPDATE***

Since you all have been helping so much with my skills reboot, I thought I'd give you a little update on how things are going.

Yesterday, I visited my friends house to play some DBZ on the Wii, and it turns out that there were quite a few people there, including my nemesis. Of course, when I walked in the room where the festivities were taking place, there were comments in reference to my former reign and my opponents current reign, to which I TRIED (notice the emphesis) to take no note. I was not ready to unleash my newly aquired skills on these hapless fools. That was to be saved for a more "appropriate" time.

There is, however, a breaking point. A point to which a man has to be a man. A point where no matter how much water you put on the fire, if someone else is adding gas at the same time, it will rage out of control (think of McFly from Back To The Future and his response to being called "chicken") .

My breaking point came when my nemesis made a comparision between myself and Hulk Hogan. He said (and I quote), "You've become like Hulk Hogan man. He was good, maybe the best. But if you asked in him to step in the ring right now, he'd get stomped. My suggestion? Stay out of the ring dude! You're time has passed."

Now that stung. But as many of you know, when you have just been cut down in front of many of your peers, that cutdown is usually followed by a barrage of "Oh Man!'s" and "Dude?! You gonna take that?'s"

I didn't take it.

The gloves were off. Next thing I knew, my hands were gripping a controller so hard, I swear it screamed out for me in pain.

Now, my nemesis was smart. He knew that our last match was real close. Therefore, being the true sport he is, he decided to make it known that this match was not for the title, but just a exhibition. Many Rocky Balboa comparisions were made at this point, with me being Rocky and him being.... uh.... that black dude. Only this time, Rocky was not going to lose.

The match began. It was a 10 man, no items match on Hyrule Castle. He was, of course, Fox and I was Samus. Now, I wish I had a video to show you, but I don't. I can tell you this much though. The match was COMPLETELY ONE-SIDED. It was like watching watching Apollo Creed fight Dolf Lundrum. I completely PWNED him.

That however, is not the surprising part. The suprising part has to do with the fact that I ONLY USED ONE ADVANCED TACTIC! That's right. ONLY ONE. The croutch cancelling. Even more suprising is that I used it very sparringly. I also tried to make it as discrete as possible. I would use it only a split second before an attack was about to land, such as an ariel kick or dash attack. Just the use of that one tactic, and he could never land a combo on me.

Let me give you an example of one of our exchanges (albiet, my favorite one). He angrily dashed at me (already frustrated at the fact that he was down to 4 men to my 7), and again attempted a dash attack. Now before I learned these amazing tactics from you wonderful people (*kiss kiss*), I would normally have dodged this attack and lost a chance to retaliate. This time however, I simply croutched. The attack, instead of sending me flying backwards and setting him up for an ariel combo, only nudged me back a tiny bit, allowing me to counter with a C Stick Down and backwards ariel kick. This sent him off the ledge.

The most amazing part of this exchange though, was the fact that I actually remembered to apply the edge spiking tactic I learned. As my nemesis set up his Fire Fox attack in an attempt to reach the ledge (which he would have), I dashed his hopes by merely walking off the ledge and right into his path, sending him crashing into oblivion and me upwards in a blanket of fire, but otherwise safe, with only a 10% damage cost to me.

Game, set, match.

Now, I tried to keep everything discrete, and I believe I suceeded. The only noticeable tactic anyone pointed out was my edge spiking, which was a relief to me. My nemesis, utterly degected, immedietly reminded everyone that this was just a warm-up, and that the title was not on the line (what a sport!). He then added that now that he knows about my edge spiking, he will be ready for it. I, of course, know that edge spiking will be the LEAST of his problems on game day.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Crouch cancelling is a very powerful technique against less skilled players. It's a strong counter against utterly predictable approaches.

Good game, though Temple would not have been a favorite choice of mine, and your nemesis doesn't seem to have learned the concept behind "meteor cancelling."

Corigames

Smash Hero
Since you were playing on Temple, did you get any good techs off? If that is where you are goingto hold you matches (which is weird. But hey, it's your tournament), you might want to brush up on the teching when you are in "the cave" so that you can survive to rediculous percents like 500+

Other than that,it sounds like your thrown will be reclaimed with severity and lack of mercy.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I remember surviving in there to 500% along with my rival, it was crazy.

That story was good, I like the "Back to the Future" reference, i might only be 15 but I watched that movie and loved it, it was pretty witty.

Next time you'll have to be more merciless, you can still hide a few moves [preferably the ones you've mastered] and test out the ones you haven't mastered yet, but just keep surprising them. Turn up the each time and blow their minds, it's what I do [or used to do, I can't practice since my gamecube doesn't work anymore].

After beating them to pulps you can teach them the moves for the best effect. They'll be like "How in the world did you do that?" and you could just point them to this site or teach them first hand. Then you'll have a nemesis close to your skill again and your other friends will be better opponents.

EDIT: I wouldn't advise you to play in Hyrule [tournaments ban it] but if you do you might want to learn to wall tech.

To wall tech, just press R just before you are knocked into a wall, you'll lose most of your momentum [at 600% the momentum is just too much, even if you wall tech when you touch the ground you'll just slide really far] and you can stop yourself from bouncing to your death. It's best to use it in the 'cave' in Hyrule.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think one of the reasons why your stories are fun to read is that it takes grammar and spelling into consideration.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I'd advise watching some Roy or Samus combo videos, whoever you decide to play as, considering Roy is alot more uncommon than Samus in this country, (UK, where I'm from), I'd probably say Roy is more... able to pull off combos with people not knowing what to do against it, mainly because more people play as Marth, they will do that they do against Marths and DI into the blade rather than away so not as much damage is contracted, after I DI into Marths blade, I usually NAIR with Link to get him away, but it's occasional I can get the NAIR in on time... I'm rambling on here, so I'm just going to end it... Good luck taking your "title" back.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Uhhh... you did read the whole story right? These people he is fighting don't know the specifics of DIing, let alone Roy combos and how to break from them. Although the information was good, it is quite excessive given the situation.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Crouch cancelling is a very powerful technique against less skilled players. It's a strong counter against utterly predictable approaches.

Good game, though Temple would not have been a favorite choice of mine, and your nemesis doesn't seem to have learned the concept behind "meteor cancelling."
LOL. Hyrule Castle. I can see why it would be banned from tournament play. The "cave", as you all have named it, seems to be a place of solice for many of my opponents. I don't mind playing on that stage however, as I am rather good at wall teching. My opponents like it just because it's impossible to become a star down when they are down there... although my preference of killing in the cave happens to be a quick C-Stick down, which leads to them bouncing off the top of this supposed "safe haven" and into the oblivion down below (this happens because their wall teching seems to not be working, which is also because I have supposedly either given them a crappy controller or I have entered a cheat code. How many times do I have to explain that holding the L & R buttons on some stages before the match ONLY CHANGES THE FRIGGIN' MUSIC?!).

Anyways, I prefer Dreamland. There is just something about sending your opponent flying to their death while listening to Kirby's old SNES race music.

Well, I am suprised to hear that my rants and stories are actually somewhat entertaining! Thanks to all! I do think that if you are going to bother people with your gaming life, then you should atleast try to keep them from feeling like they just wasted their time.

This topic of stories does actually bring up something that I think you all will find interesting. It happened this weekend, and was actually kind of a little treat.

My youngest sister (who, BTW, loves to play Smash and has served as a practice dummy for me on many occasions) is currently engaged and set to be married later this month. In anticipation of this, many of the women in my congregation (including my wife) decided to throw her a lingere party this past weekend (NO, I WILL NOT GIVE ANY DETAILS ON THIS PARTY). This gave my friend and I an opportunity to to invite some of the guys over to play some games at my place.

The turnout for our impromptu gaming fest was somewhat modest. My nemesis did not turn up (I suspect FEAR), but many of my other smash compadres did. It was a nice set up. We had a lan of 6 computers with C&C 3 set up in the kitchen, two big screens in the living room with one hooked up to the Wii our "interactive" gamers, and the other hooked up to the GC for the "we wanna get PWNED by the former champ" crowd.

Now, as I said in one of my previous post, everyone in my church has skills that range from fair to good in SSBM. My nemesis is at the top of that tier, of course, with everyone else following suit. However, if you are familiar with the gaming crowd, you know that there is always THAT ONE. You know him. He's the one that is in that "fair to slightly good" range. He's alright, but not good enough to be noteworthy. But, for some unknown but probably hilarious reason, he just thinks that he is the most 1337 awesome OMG I PWN U 411 SUXX0RS!!!111 player in all of the galaxy. No matter what anyone says, what the stats say, or how many more double digits he has in his loss column than his win, he just PWNS.

Oh, you just smashed him to the ground? He still PWNS.

You just dodged 10 of his attacks in a row? He still PWNS.

You just beat him with 5 men left? He still PWNS. And you suck.

We have one of those in our group. He is a Marth user. For this sake of this story, I will go ahead and give him a name (although I will change it for his n00b sake). Let's go ahead and call him... oh... Numnuts. That's good.

Anyways, Numnuts had decided to grace us with his precense. Expectedly, not too many of us were thrilled about this. He is the kind who not only thinks he PWNS, but also blames everything and everyone else for his losses. No, it's not his fault or his lack of SSMB skills that keeps him from winning. It's the fact that I use Samus, who (in his mind) just so happens to be the most cheesiest character in the game.

Now, I especially loathe his precense. You see, I seem to be his main target of slander, seeing as how I was the champ for so long. Remember how I stated that Mario and Roy were my main's before I made the switch to Samus? Well, they were both supposedly also cheese when I used them. To him, I seem to bring out the cheese in every character. I COULD USE FRIGGIN' G&W AND STILL BE PERFORMING ACTS OF CHEESE! To him, I am made of cheese.

Anyways, he was there and, of course, was already up to his old habits. Oh yeah, and there was achohol there, which always seems to (enter sacrasm here) bring more of the best out of him.

Now, keep in mind, the last time I played this guy was almost 2 years ago, so his skill has improved. He was, in fact, the best smash player there (besides your truely). This lead up to an epic showdown of epic purportions of.... epicness. Anyways, needless to say, even with his improved skills, I trounced him. Convincingly. No question. I still had 4 men in a 10 man contest. I didn't even have to use the new tactics I learned for you wonderful people (*kiss kiss* again). Although, now that I think about it, I should have. I mean, to him I'm already made of cheese right? Might as well and some montery jack right? Maybe swiss? That's my problem though. Sometimes, I am just not merciless enough... But that's besides the point.

Here's the clincher. Of course, after his trouncing, Numnuts decided to get up and start ranting and raving. Here are the top 5 excuses for his loss (some expressed during the match).

5) So, I guess Samus' foot is now more powerful than my sword huh? I guess common sense doesn't count in video games anymore?

4) What the hell? Marth is so easy to knock off! I get you to 300% and you still barely move when I hit you!

3) Samus is wearing 1000 lbs of armor, yet your stll faster than Marth? I guess they didn't think of physics when making this game.

2) Oh, okay. I guess dodge means nothing when I grab the controller huh?

And my number one favorite excuse as to why Numnuts lost this pivital match-up...

(DRUM ROLL)

1) You have BOMBS!

Well, during his rants, something happened that I did not expect. Something wonderful. Deliciously wonderful. I'm still savoring the taste. Melted in my mouth.

Numnuts was still going on and on about how he is still the better player. I rule this, and you suck that. The usual. Then, something snapped. Not in me mind you, but in one of my friends. He is now my best friend. I will call him... 1337.

1337: Numnuts, face it man. He beat you fair and square. Stop acting like a jerk.

Boo-yah, Numnuts. Boo-yah.

I couldn't help what happened next. I just happened.

I started laughing. Hard. I mean REALLY HARD.

This act on my part started an argument between 1337 and Numnuts. Now, we are Christians, so they was no cussing or outright fights, but it was still pretty darn entertaining. It all culminated in one of my favorite quotes of the night, given by the 1337 himself.

1337: Dude! He hasn't played for almost a year and you still couldn't beat him! Stop making excuses.

I will forever remember this. It was great.

This is where the story ends. Reason being is because, besides the obvious argument I had with my wife later on regarding the mess and the party (and the fact that I forgot to tell her about it), nothing more interesting happened that night. Oh well, my weekend was satisfied.

Anyways, my comeback tournament has been set. It is to take place in 2 weekends. I can't wait!

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
If anyone gives you trouble, just follow the wise words of KoreanDJ and offer a money match.

A couple of posts into this topic, I thought "uh just learning crouch cancel with samus will probably get you wins"...I was right >_>

Corigames

Smash Hero
So the Date has been set. Are there any other thinngs you want to be taught before the showdown(s)?

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, because i only read the first two pages, but I think in terms of the most useful tactic when fighting nubs is shield grabbing. Whenever he aerials you, just shield and grab. R and then A. If he doesn't L Cancel he will get grabbed every time (although samus has a slow grab). Another thing is edgehogging. When the opponent is off the map, you can jump to the edge in order to prevent them from grabbing it. When they get close, just role to become invincible.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Sheild grabbing forced my friends to discover l-canceling...

Nice story. Try to get involved in some other smash tournaments outside your church! Go to the tournament section of the website. It's still fun to do what your doing though. And try to use only MLG legal stages. Those seem to set apart skilled people from Nubs. It's up on this board somewhere. There's a lot of info in the stickies of MD and the character specific forum. Go to Fox's to see why he is so beastly.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Although shield grabbing is great for most people, it is not so with Samus. Her grab takes too long to truely be effective and you certainly get punished for missing. This might be a better thing to use as roy considering his is faster and a fair amount of reach (especially if you dash while doing it).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I would advise you learn to double missile with Samus. I don't know how to do it and I can't learn it since my gamecube isn't working but from what I've seen it works extremely well against opponents while they're recovering.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Just read through the entire topic, and I am enjoying this. I like the stories and situation a lot, and I can't WAIT to hear about how you unload on that fox player for the title! I'm definately on your side on this one, and I shall be keeping up!
I don't play Samus often, but there was a time when I considered trying to main her. Turns out, I'm not so great with the practical, but I was pretty good with the theoretical. The most important things I figured out were probably Wavedash > Shield Roll (Samus' roll is sluggish and one of the worst in the game), Nair out of shield > Shield Grab (Samus' grab is sluggish in throwing, and if you miss, it WILL be punished), Missile Canceling (For those times when you can't have enough missiles flying at your opponent), and Bomb Jumping (Increases your recovery IMMENSELY).
The Missile Canceling might not work so well here, assuming he reflects them. I hope you have figured out the whole Bomb Jump to Air Dodge to Throw-beam-thingy to catch the stage's end. That can become the only way to live, and it's always better than dying. ^_^
Good luck, show no mercy, and crush him! Don't reveal the full extent of what you know until that match if at all possible, just for hilarity's sake. Can you see the faces of EVERYONE once you start wavedashing around him and sending a million missiles his way and bomb jumping into impossible recoveries? It's enough to make me wanna be there. XD

Oh, and of course, my word certainly doesn't override anyone else's here. All considered, I'm still a noob. >.>
Rooting for you! Don't forget to post any stories of interest, and DEFINATELY don't forget to post the outcome!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok, let's talk about HOW to MC, or Missile Cancel, since it has turned into a big topic. The way this works is that while you shoot a missile, if you land, the game will canel the animation an let you stand like normal. The way this can be applied is that you shoot the missile and then land on the ground immediately after. This way, you don't suffer any lag and can shoot another missile right after landing.

Although, as Zane pointed out, the fox can reflect them, the first missile will most likely hit the second missile before you can get hit by the first. Here is a Diagram.
S - you, > - first missile, >> - secondmissile, F - fox, * - explosion:
S>..........F
S...>.......F
S>>..>..F
..S>>..>F
...S>>.<F
.....S...*...F
.......S.....F - (O Shi~)

There you go.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
LOL. Thanks everyone for your help, suggestions and support!

Well, missle cancelling is not a big problem for me. I was already doing it before I even started visiting the boards. Sometimes I don't get the timing right though, so Samus makes the sound effects of shooting a missle, but nothing comes out. The first time that happened to me, it lead to my brother spurting out one of the most memorable lines ever. We still use it to this very day.

"Samus shoots blanks!"

One thing that I have started to have trouble with is L Cancelling and SHFFLing. I know how to do them, its just a matter of getting the timing right. I thought I was doing it right at first, but it seems I was mistaken.

Anyways, I might not need those tactics right away if yesterday's practice session with my brother was any indication. He was in a smashy mood, and I was willing to accomedate him.

Sidenote: I talk alot about my brother, but I have never told you his skill level among our merry band of misfits. He is actually 3rd best (or second loser as I call him), right under my nemesis. The battles those two have are something I quite enjoy, seeing as they both use Fox. They both also have similar playing styles, so fighting him is a good representation of what I will encounter against my rival, albiet with the skill level dumbed down a notch. He is my mini-nemesis.

Anways, during our smash session, I managed to use some of the tactics quite effectively. Of course, the CC was a no brainer, and it lead to him having to change his plan of pure ariel attacks to other methods (I would immedietly launch a down A attack afterwards, then follow with and ariel combo. It completely countered his air assaults). When he saw what was happening (although he did not discover why I was not flinching from his attacks), he got wise and started grabbing me like mad. This lead to me having to grab my cajones and start practicing my wavedashing. It worked a few times (enough to allow me to win all of our matches in convincing fashion), and was extremely satifying. He would lunge at me to grab, only to see me mysteriously slide back enough to dodge his attack and immedietly C Stick Down into a combo. Of course, when it didn't work, I paid for it... usually with a stock life. And yes, I do know that just still dodging would have been easier. But I have to start learning how to implement these advanced tactics into my game, and there is no better time to do it than when I am playing Mr. #3, and when no one else is watching of course. LOL.

On a completely different note, I got word yesterday from one of my close friends (who is a decent smasher, but not worth noting. He does, however, know his placement in the smashing grid and doesn't think he is the "shizzle" like a certain numnuts does) that people are eagerly anticipating our next tournament because of the simple fact that they want to see me and my nemesis battle it out. Word got out that I beat him a few days ago in a rather brutal fashion, and they want to see how he retaliates.

Man. I need to get some equipment so I can record the tourney. I feel like I would be doing all of you an injustice if I strung you along for this ride, only to just TELL you how it went. I will have to look into it (thanks for jumping on the bandwagon Zane!).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, wavedashing is definitely a good way to avoid a grab. Keep up your discovery of their application : ) All you have to work on now is knowing not to be too repetitive. Wavedash away from some, jab-counter some, simply do a spot-dodge other times, etc. Also, Crouch-Canceling is always cool, but there ARE ways to beat it without just grabbing. Especially as Fox, there's always the possibility of just laser-camping you until you're forced to go on the offensive. But hey, if you keep your opponent frustrated enough to keep attacking in a very punishable way, go for it.

Again, good luck in winning the tournament. I'm rooting for you.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Look at it this way. A spot-dodge is an easier way to avoid a grab. A Wavedash makes it easier to smash his brains out AFTER dodging the grab. ^_^
Of course, that's not to say you CAN'T counter after a spot-dodge. But a Wavedash makes it a ton easier, though it's a ton harder to figure out correctly.
And a video would be awesome! I'm content with stories (you tell them rather well), like someone said earlier... A picture's worth a thousand words, and a video's worth a thousand pictures. Not counting framerate. XD

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
We be cheering for you man. And yes, I suspect the reason why this is so fun to read is that you seem to be thoroughly enjoying yourself, and this is coming out in the text. Also, as someone else guessed, I think it's because all of this is readable in standard English. :)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Good luck, and please keep asking questions. I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me feel good to help another smasher, let alone Smaus/Roy.

Also, I hope you do get that equipment. There is a sticky in one of the video rooms that tells what you need for that, and I want to get it too. I have some pretty awesome battles between me and this Mario that I really want to throw up on youtube.

Once again, good luck and keep learning!

lain

Smash Master
it's kind of fun to see a less experienced smasher work his way up and hear how his training is going.

it's sort of reminiscent of back when we weren't so hot at the game. so it's super interesting.

anyways keep up the good work!

Elrodillazo

Smash Apprentice
cool story man hope you win the tourney also i have a tip for you with samus wavedash is useful i suggest you to implement to your game wavedash back and forward smash like when a fox is doing an aerial and you predict it and you wavedash back and forward smash his ***

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
it's sort of reminiscent of back when we weren't so hot at the game.
LOL. This reminds me of how I felt when I first visited this board about 3 weeks ago. Here I was all non-chalant, thinking I was just going to be trading techniques and combo's with other "Pro's" like myself.

"I'm sure I'll know pretty much everything they will tell me, but there might be a nice little trinket or two of info I can use."

Yeah, right.

Instead, I find a group of players in a totally different playing field. These guys made me look like I just started playing 5 minutes ago. I came to find out that I am not 1337, as I once thought. Heck, I'm not even average (remember the urinal scene in "Rookie of The Year?"). I was served a nice helping of humble pie, with seconds and thirds being shoved down my esophagus everyday. But, oh is that pie getting tasty.

On another subject:
I had another practice session with my smash partner yesterday. It was during this session that I realized a glaring weakness in my game, my inability to follow through with a combo after a CC. Now, I realize that Samus doesn't have the speed to rack up insane chain's after a CC ----> Down A, but there must be more I can do besides the sad 2 - 3 hit combo's I am only preforming at the moment.

Also, I have been practicing with Marth in order to make him my second main, but I feel that I am missing something. I've seen video's where Marth is able to chain together insane combo's leading up to a meteor kill ( http://files.filefront.com/6653393 ), but I can't seem to get the timing down on my hits anymore. As in the video I just posted, this guy seems to hit his opponent in just the right moment or fashion in order to set him up for another attack. However, when I try the set up in the same manner, all I end up doing is sending my opponent to far to follow up on. It's puzzling.

Anywho, I know these concerns are somewhat nitpicky. I hate to focus on a couple of narrow matters when I should be focused on the overall aspect of better smashing. But I feel that it is just as important for me to learn effective follow up's to these advanced tactics. There is really not much use of CCing with Samus if all I ever get afterwards is a Down A and one follow up ariel attack.

Oh yeah, and just an FYI. I think I will get to post a video of the tournament. It's a kind of ghetto set up, but I was planning on using my camera/video recorder to capture highlights. They will have to be in 20 second clips of course, unless I can use Movie Maker to splice them together, but atleast it's something.

squaminator

Smash Ace
isn't samus's dtilt an awesome combo setup? you could use that or an fsmash after ccing.

also, comboing like kizzu is one hell of a goal. He's played marth for a very long time. Studying the combo videos aren't the best way of improving you comboing game, though it may help.

also, if your opponents di away, then its harder to combo.

don't focus on getting the meteor. Start with just chaining utilts, uairs, and fairs together. maybe bair as neccessary, and if you can get a grab, DO SO! uthrow is sooo good on space animals.

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, and just an FYI. I think I will get to post a video of the tournament. It's a kind of ghetto set up, but I was planning on using my camera/video recorder to capture highlights. They will have to be in 20 second clips of course, unless I can use Movie Maker to splice them together, but atleast it's something.
It would be good if you post a video or two of your fights. That way we smashers could see your playing style and tell you what's good and what needs improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom