• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
kyle rhoads says
this is going on the internet

Christen Jones says
looooooooooool
XD
smashboards?

kyle rhoads says
of course

Christen Jones says
ahhhh
got some tp
charmin ultra
the softest

kyle rhoads says
like silk to your ***

Christen Jones says
the tongue of god
sliding gently between my bootycheeks

kyle rhoads says
this is golden

Christen Jones says
okay
I'm done
back to inception

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Because Super Metroid is only somewhere around the 10th best game on the system? Mega Man X, X2, LOZ LTTP, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 3(6), Mario World, Contra 3, Lufia 2, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1/2, Turtles In Time, Battletoads and Double Dragon. (not to mention Final Fantasy 5 {Japan} and Mario All Stars {Compilation} and SF2T, KI, UMK3, NBA JAM {if u had decent competition}) are all equal to or better than Super Metroid, especially Mega Man X2 and LTTP which are clearly the best 2 games on the system, period, and both candidates for best game of all time.

X3 is worse due to it's terrible controls and the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy also has **** controls.

Super Troll Island is pretty sweet too. :pow:
Now I knew you were merely trying to rile someone up here.

I've played all those games. A ton of those I wouldn't really compare in quality to Super Metroid. That's personal taste, though.

Also - I could speedrun SMB. The only things I couldn't do was wall jump (which is really only needed at one point) and the Vine glitch in 4-2 that cuts the time considerably. Other than those things, it's pretty easy. But that was the only game I've ever attempted to speedrun.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I mean, I honestly do think MMX/X2 and LTTP and YI and Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and FF5 are better than SM. Also if you have a fighting community, those are usually better than 1 player games, minus Mega Man games.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Wow I want to watch some of these speed runs lol.

I used to look up speed runs when I was bored at school.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There was this speedrun I watched of Majora's Mask not long ago.

I would have stopped watching it a few minutes in, but the commentary was actually quite entertaining and not abrasive and annoying to listen to like most LPs are.

Forgot who it was, though.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Comparing games where you just run from point A-B without having to think about unique weapon set ups, items to collect or glitches to save you time is pointless. Comparing Speed Running SM is more like an RPG run as opposed to traditional platfomers. Running Mega Man is difficult because of precise timing, etc, but it's hard to compare a free world game to A-B games.
That's the thing, though. Super Metroid is both. There are points where Super Metroid is an A-B platform game with timing just as precise as any Megaman game, but also with the combat depth and interwoven plot points of an RPG or adventure game, and it does all of that as one of the largest (in terms of memory) games on the SNES. Add to that probably the best soundtrack I've heard in a game, and one of the most meticulously designed atmospheres to date, and I find it hard to beat. No Megaman game can compete with that, IMO, and LTTP just doesn't have the attention to detail to match SM. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Final Fantasy are the only games to really compete with SM on that level.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Mega Man 9 beats everything in terms of atmosphere, but it's in a different era. Mega Man X2 has better level design and is a faster paced game which is why I like it better.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Really now? I gotta see that.

So how's it goin NC? You all should come to NM for a random vacation around June 11th ;)

vZakat

Half Genie
I don't think smith has the world record. I know he's really close though. Closer than I am to the SM speed run record

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Smith has no WR but he had close to it at one time.

He's still like top 10 in the world(higher when he plays) but he doesn't practice much anymore.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Mega Man 9 beats everything in terms of atmosphere, but it's in a different era. Mega Man X2 has better level design and is a faster paced game which is why I like it better.
I dunno about any of the classic Megaman games having atmosphere. They have samey Sonic music on Contra backgrounds. It doesn't gel well to me. Compare to the eerie music and creepy blobs in Norfair on the first Metroid. The classic games don't have less atmosphere than SNES games because of the era they were made in. They have less atmosphere because they have less atmosphere.

I also don't know about level design. The Megaman X games have more punishing level design, for sure, but they're necessarily linear. It's easy to make a level challenging if each area has a specific goal. Compare to Super which is literally a maze, and take into consideration that most people on their first playthrough were able to achieve every goal they were meant to achieve in the order they were meant to achieve it, even with all the sequence breaking options available. That kind of level design is on a whole other level from Megaman.

As far as speed, well, the Metroid series is by no means slow even they aren't Megaman X fast. To each his own. I think the fact that Metroid can be played several ways, and each way yields a totally valid and exciting experience, makes it far superior.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Atmosphere I can agree on. Megaman never had much atmosphere. But then again, that series was never about atmosphere.

I'm not sure if you had time with the megaman games for the NES. The music is always catchy and the tunes aren't something you'd here elsewhere. They've taken their time to make something memorable. It's a staple of the franchise. There's a few bad eggs, but it isn't overbearing.

Of course, I'm sure you know what you're talking about - you DO make music as well.

As for level design, I have no experience in it. So, I can't say what's better than anothers. But I will say this - Metroid and megaman are two very different games and are part of separate genres. The level design of Megaman is meant to litter stages with death traps and enemies because the stages are, themselves, short. Meanwhile, Metroid has scarce enemy placement (still generous in the number when you do cross their paths), and few if any death traps because you are backtracking and traveling the same area.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm not sure if you had time with the megaman games for the NES. The music is always catchy and the tunes aren't something you'd here elsewhere. They've taken their time to make something memorable. It's a staple of the franchise. There's a few bad eggs, but it isn't overbearing.

Of course, I'm sure you know what you're talking about - you DO make music as well.
Admittedly, I haven't ever spent a great deal of time with Megaman. But don't think that precludes an ability to look up the music on Youtube. Fact is, none of it really stands out. Except Elecman, but that's only because I can sing Jourey's Faithfully while listening to the theme (this doesn't really speak highly of the originality of the theme, btw). Maybe this is because I didn't have the music drilled into my head by dying fifteen times on the first screen of a level. But that shouldn't necessarily be the reason a song is defined to you. Kraid isn't a particularly treacherous level in the first Metroid, but that terrifying arpeggio structure stays with you because it just plays around in your head. Midna's lament only plays for the two or three minutes it takes you to make a mad dash back to Hyrule Castle, but I'll be damned if it isn't the single most moving piece of music in a Zelda game I've heard. Maybe I haven't played quite enough Zelda games, but it doesn't change that I've played TP through just for that song. Also, Bramble Blast is gorgeous, and that point need not be belabored.

Megaman music strikes me as several half-jazzy half-rocky themes that are practically interchangeable between levels. Maybe you can remember each one if you've played each game several times, but the only track from Megaman 9 that I felt actually worked with the level was Galaxy Man. The rest literally were the same song to me.

As for level design, I have no experience in it. So, I can't say what's better than anothers. But I will say this - Metroid and megaman are two very different games and are part of separate genres. The level design of Megaman is meant to litter stages with death traps and enemies because the stages are, themselves, short. Meanwhile, Metroid has scarce enemy placement (still generous in the number when you do cross their paths), and few if any death traps because you are backtracking and traveling the same area.
But that's really my point. Making so every little thing is a death trap is just changing the rules. I could tell you to play Super Metroid 100% only taking damage from the five main bosses and shinesparking, and some parts would be downright harder than most stages in Megaman. What Metroid does with it's level design that Megaman doesn't even try to do is make its level design cohere with its storytelling and combat. Certain rooms are only accessible with certain weapons, and the enemies in those rooms cannot be defeated without those same weapons. And story elements you discover in those rooms aren't relevant until after you've acquired those weapons. Sure, sequence breaking changes that dynamic, but like I said, the game was so well designed that most sequence breaking was never discovered by players on their first playthrough. In a game as huge as Super Metroid, that strikes me as particularly artful.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm not the type to argue. You have your opinions. It just sounds like your discrediting the Megaman franchise and placing Metroid on a pedestal that nothing can possibly touch.

That is what I'm gathering here.

I have NO preference between the two. I have played through both.

You can't possibly tell me good stories of the level design of the original metroid which was diseased with Nintendo syndrome; Literally Bomb every bit of the wall and burn every bush to find out what's next. Super Metroid is amazing, on the other hand.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Had a fest I just got back from tonight lol, it was cool. Karn's dad's house is getting sold soon and there was A TON of NC smash history made there(including Red Marth!!!) =(

We had one last hoorah for it and that was nice. I got some beast Falco combos to send it off well. =)

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol almost any falco combo is beast to be fair ;)

But at least you guys had a chance to say goodbye to a fun place. Now you need a new smash house hahaha.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You're tellin me lol. Our venue selection is starting to thin out =(

As long as we can keep making due with what we have for the time being things will be okay. =) After Josh moves and Karn graduates we could have a problem though.....

Dudes may have to step up lol. Shoot I may finally give hosting a shot next semester if things go according to plan. =)

tw1n

Smash Champion
That'd be fun I'm sure. We live in a small apartment but we still try hosting on occasion :D
Then again, NM turnout is 15 or so tops :(

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey our locals weren't topping more than 15 for a while haha(we also had tourneys every other week though but that was okay it was a healthy scene), so hang in there!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Garbage about atmosphere.
Garbage about level design
LOL SM isn't as fast as MMX
Uh, go play Mega Man 2, Bubble Man and come back to me about no atmosphere. And as far as the X series, go play Storm Eagle's level. The music fits the background perfectly and the flow these particular stages are perfectly cromulant atmospheres. Mega Man's backgrounds are pieces of art, and Mega Man X2 was the only game to actually use the Super FX chip on the SNES to perfection, star fox was just a tech demo for it. Metroid has a creepy, stagnant cave vibe where something could just pop out at you anytime, but rarely does. Super Metroid has excellent bosses that add to the atmosphere and challenge, but if you like suspense with little payoff after the first play through, then w00t, go you.

Mega Man X has stuff hidden and makes you replay stages, this isn't the same as having to go back to super far away caverns like 6 minutes away from where you are located, which is one of the things I hate about RPG's or cinematic games. You should rephrase what you are saying in the later parts of your 2nd paragraph because it's unclear what your point truly is other than "Super Metroid Rules"'. Mega Man/X has fast paced gameplay with jumps and enemy placement that Super Metroid doesn't have, plus enemies spawn health/items too easily. Farming is godly in this game. Super Metroid is easy to get lost in, which is annoying for newb gamers, figured I'd point this out.

You can play Mega Man super slow too or really fast, both are effective ways to play. Speed Running and Mr. Perfect type runs look completely different and are both legit ways to play and both a lot of fun. Not to discredit SM on utility, it is an excellent game.

Maybe this is because I didn't have the music drilled into my head by dying fifteen times on the first screen of a level.
So you just don't like Mega Man because it's too hard for you? I've played a lot of both Metroid/SM and the Mega Man series, and the Music in Mega Man dwarfs the Metroid music, Prime's soundtrack is the best tbh. LOL ElecMan being #1, good troll.

You want to handicap the game to make it harder? You can do that in Mega Man and only play with buster, or with only special weapons. And you can change the order of the weapons that you get so it adds replay value because you can play with that item on different levels. Also, if you played the series, as they progress, Dr Wily/Reploid's design levels based on previous games gimmicks and mind games between them and Dr. Light/Arcane. Spike placements are where they are in 9 so you can't R-coil through the area because Dr. Wily has learned that's what you are going to do to get around his bot. I could take an hour going to through the mind games between them, but I won't. just take my word for it.

Also, I'm terrible at Melee singles :/ How does Sheik beat Falco?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sheik beats Falco by either abusing platform gayness or anti-laser options like take laser to ftilt/dsmash or nair/wavedash OOS to counter shield pressure. ****** Falco when he's on a platform with Uptilts/Bairs is awesome lol. Abusing needles from platforms while Falco is on the ground is cool too. Cornered Falco should be dead Falco(space Fair/Bair or just find a way to throw him offstage for a simple gimp/edgeguard).

Hope that helps. =)

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol PP.
We have a tournament maybe once every few months if we get lucky :(
Half our scene now says they hate playing smash... they'd rather play MvC3 or SSF4.

We are still trying to revive it tho :D

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It does, but it's easier to read than to perform what you see in your head, ya know?
Well if you play enough it comes together easier. =) Practice helps us all put it there haha.

Lol PP.
We have a tournament maybe once every few months if we get lucky :(
Half our scene now says they hate playing smash... they'd rather play MvC3 or SSF4.

We are still trying to revive it tho :D
Ahhh I think they just need some good rivalry or hype to get into smash more. Either way you guys do a good job keeping it interesting I'm sure. =)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm not the type to argue. You have your opinions. It just sounds like your discrediting the Megaman franchise and placing Metroid on a pedestal that nothing can possibly touch.

That is what I'm gathering here.

I have NO preference between the two. I have played through both.

You can't possibly tell me good stories of the level design of the original metroid which was diseased with Nintendo syndrome; Literally Bomb every bit of the wall and burn every bush to find out what's next. Super Metroid is amazing, on the other hand.
Don't confuse my placement of Super Metroid on a pedestal with me placing franchises on a pedestal. The original Metroid was a stellar concept, but the level design was much less sophisticated than Super, and the combat was very linear. There are easily games that blow Metroid out of the water, particularly on the NES. Most Megaman games for the NES are probably better than it.

Like I said, in just about every area I think a game can be judged, I think there are games that beat either of the Megaman X games. I can't say that for Super Metroid. For this reason, I think Super Metroid is better.

Rob, I'll reply to you when my reply won't constitute telling you every point where you've deliberately misinterpreted my posts.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
In all honesty, Symphony of the Night just pulled through the Metroid formula. I believe it to be better at what Super Metroid does. Atmosphere, music, combat, and the pure amount of tools given to you to play. To me, it trumps SM in every way.

But again - this is all personal preference and its hard to ARGUE that.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Damnit, I had a paragraph about SOTN and I forgot to paste it back on. Totally this^ SOTN did everything better and is a better game than SM. No game that is like Mega Man has done it better, other than maybe X, which is the same thing to me.

In terms of what you said, I re-read it all, and it just sounds like you enjoy RPG type of games, are more about mood and feel than game play and level design, which I disapprove of entirely.

Also, it's official as of today, I'll be in NC the 23rd of May-31st of May. Hide your penguins and bluebirds, I'm bringing a wolf and break dancing ninja.

Top Bottom