• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wut....the anime is only 6 episodes long haha.

You should watch it man. Though the part in the manga where Naota hits his dad with the bat isn't nearly as crazy >.>
I watched it in my anime club back in high school. I just never got back into it, and the anime club at my uni spent most of their time watching Macross.

I also stopped downloading animes, because most of them didn't appeal.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
idk i grew up on a lot of anime since i grew up in Korea...
gradually i realized that American Comics have more engaging and unique storylines with more interesting characters and overall higher quality art.

most animes nowadays are just cookie cutter fit in this genre then fill characters with stereotypes fanboys/girls will be interested in to sell products

tw1n

Smash Champion
idk i grew up on a lot of anime since i grew up in Korea...
gradually i realized that American Comics have more engaging and unique storylines with more interesting characters and overall higher quality art.

most animes nowadays are just cookie cutter fit in this genre then fill characters with stereotypes fanboys/girls will be interested in to sell products
Sad but true...

Batman rules

SleepyK

even a lot of independent comics are great. they don't have to be dc or marvel or dark horse or image or top cow or whatever.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is an amazing anime. The storyline is very engaging, all characters are interesting with constantly changing relationships, and the graphics are like cocaine for your eyes. This is one of my all time favorite animes.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The archetype of Men in Tights still irks me. I don't particularly hate American comics, I just prefer a good story with great character development. You can find that anywhere, given the right research. Artistic prowess is a bonus (landscape, cityscape, the figure, and interesting design).

tw1n

Smash Champion
even a lot of independent comics are great. they don't have to be dc or marvel or dark horse or image or top cow or whatever.
This is also true...

One of my all time favorites is spy vs spy =] <3 Mad Magazine lol
Also Cyanide and Happiness rules.

Although I know those aren't the comic types you were referring to lol

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The archetype of Men in Tights still irks me. I don't particularly hate American comics, I just prefer a good story with great character development. You can find that anywhere, given the right research. Artistic prowess is a bonus (landscape, cityscape, the figure, and interesting design).
A lot of the best graphic novels in the US don't actually go with the men in tights trope. I mean, Superhero comics take the limelight because they're like comics candy, but look at stuff like I Am Legend, Persepolis, From Hell, and Maus I & II. Serenity has gone to comics, too.

Now, I don't pretend to know the most about Japanese graphic novels, but I feel like there's more of a glut on cookie-cutter books in the Japanese market than there is in the US. Then again, there's a greater market there for comics in general than the US, so maybe it's just a proportional thing.

SleepyK

haha, webcomics are a whole different monster.

the "men in tights" thing is a limiting stereotype. you know it's more than that, so please try to avoid using terms as such.
my point is that overall, the level of deep character development and engaging storylines is much higher in american comics than in japanese ones. generally in american comics nowadays most comics don't stay afloat unless the writing is good.

trust me, my country was conquered and brutally ***** by japan for several decades.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I wanted to take a shot at webcomics.

The thing those is that most of it online is trash, and trash "artists" stick their stuff up on the internet thinking they're good . . . .

I hate you chris-chan.

Then there's VGcats and some others. But, most online based comics seem rooted in the comedy genre. That makes me sad. And that's where i want to be different - I want to do comic with a serious tone.

I just don't know how to go about it.

SleepyK

you could probably start by googling "webcomic reviews" or something.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
A lot of the best graphic novels in the US don't actually go with the men in tights trope. I mean, Superhero comics take the limelight because they're like comics candy, but look at stuff like I Am Legend, Persepolis, From Hell, and Maus I & II. Serenity has gone to comics, too.

Now, I don't pretend to know the most about Japanese graphic novels, but I feel like there's more of a glut on cookie-cutter books in the Japanese market than there is in the US. Then again, there's a greater market there for comics in general than the US, so maybe it's just a proportional thing.
Serenity has gone to comics?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've see a lot of webcomics that get the whole well-developed story, and do it really well, too. In particular, Questionable Content and Gunnerkrigg Court are incredible. The art starts out not so great, but these days, both are absolutely amazing.

Serenity has gone to comics?
Yep. It's not bad, either. Pretty fun.

SleepyK

serenity comix are p good

questionable content still does fall under the "fit in a joke per comic" format but it's not bad.
there's a lot of hipster going on so if you can't stand that then stay away.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thanks for mentioning Gunnerkrigg Court, Phoot. I just ran through a good portion of it.

I feel better about my venture into the webcomics with a serious tone. All it take is some effort, right now.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
serenity comix are p good

questionable content still does fall under the "fit in a joke per comic" format but it's not bad.
there's a lot of hipster going on so if you can't stand that then stay away.
I feel like the jokes feel a lot more natural than most comics achieve. Mostly because they're delivered by ironic hipsters, so they're supposed to make deadpan jokes about everything they see.

SleepyK

yeah, i get the same feeling from it. but there are still outrageous elements inserted mainly for comedic purposes such as the anthropcs or sweet ****

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
yeah, i get the same feeling from it. but there are still outrageous elements inserted mainly for comedic purposes such as the anthropcs or sweet ****
But Sweet **** is so cute. :D In her defense, she only shows up in filler.

SleepyK

hey hey, i never said anything was wrong with sweet ****.
she's got some sweet ****.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Seasons sure are changing, if June is the end of summer, now.

Darn global warming.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
DAYUM.

If it wasn't so ****ing short notice, I'd go.

All I need is a ride, honestly. I bet I can get that weekend off should I request now (last opportunity for me to request for that weekend is this week).

Who has the balls to come to RM and pick me up? OR, where do I go to meet someone?

Top Bottom