• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Josh if you can't find the joy or worthwhile help of playing competitive melee, then that's fine. Don't bring others down for it though. I respect your decision as you should respect anyone else's.

If you guys get motivated and stay motivated, we will bring numbers to everything, ESPECIALLY NCSUS OMG! We've had 50-60 man tourneys JUST WITH NC ALONE THAT IS SO GOOD WOW

With this hype and motivation we could easily start a circuit in NC(more on that later or just ask Lucas[don't be ****s it was his idea and it's a good one]) or come up with other ideas to keep the scene improving! If you are hyped up and want Melee to grow in NC/overall/for you personally, then bring forward some cool ideas and we can talk it over. =)

Now is the time!

Moophobia

Smash Champion
I am really motivated and have been attempting to get better way harder than I ever have. I'm just hoping I can prove my self this time around.

EVH

Smash Cadet
I would love to at least get somewhat good, but the problem is there isn't much of a smash community in Wilmington, that I know of. And all of my friends prefer Brawl over Melee....

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
More on that later, just ask me

I guess you should call me or something Kevin, flesh out this idea, I have an addendum I wanted to add as well, and I think you'll like it :3

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Having a circuit would be awesome. I'm pretty sure Kevin's right that we have another players to pull it off. Plus, it means there'd be tournaments on weekends when I'm not busy. Somehow Alex seems to be good at conflicting with my schedule.

$mike

Smash Ace
The cycle of improving at Smash:

Get remotivated ->
spend a ton of time playing the game, alone or with people ->
spend a ton of time thinking about the game and watching videos ->
spend a lot of money and driving hours to disappointingly small locals and occasional major tournaments ->
finally get back to how good you were a year or two ago when you had done this before ->
remember how bored you were from having worn out the game for yourself again ->
obtain temporary small reputation locally (maybe nationally) for people you don't know and successfully feed your ego ->
realize how pointless the cycle is and wonder what tricked you into doing it again.

/competetive level Melee

or the alternative:

Do something new and interesting and more worthwhile.
Rigorously studying videos and thinking about the game (I only think about smash when I'm actually playing the game) aren't necessary for improving in my experience, and you can avoid wasting money on low turnout tournaments by just not going. Improve whichever way works for you, basically. Obviously if you asked someone like Kevin or Armada what their process is like it's going to resemble what you posted. But I know plenty of other good players who don't spend anywhere near that amount of time at getting better... they just play the game. I had a problem with devoting so much time to smash in the past but I changed that and realized it's just not necessary for me.

what.... the ****
l.m.f.a.o.

We need more tournaments at legitimate venues in convenient (i.e. close enough to everyone so the turnout is good) areas ran by good TOs. I can't stress the importance of a "good" TO enough.. it's something I've been trying to advocate in NC for years. The way our state runs 95% of tournaments since I started playing is half-***. And if you want to make noise I think we need more videos coming from tournaments/smashfests.

But anyway I want to start seriously playing more again, so hit me up UNCG people, Dr PePé and Chris, etc.

:falconmelee:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I was just thinking, it might be cool if we could set up a NCSU/UNCG rivalry. Or at least, I think it'd be fun to have crews between the two of us. To balance out Kevin, they'd have to be in PM, with the "Kevin can't use Melee characters" rule in use.

vZakat

Half Genie
I'm not really interested in improving but I may be around at some NCSU's every now and then. Gaming's just not much of a priority for me anymore. :/

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I was just thinking, it might be cool if we could set up a NCSU/UNCG rivalry. Or at least, I think it'd be fun to have crews between the two of us. To balance out Kevin, they'd have to be in PM, with the "Kevin can't use Melee characters" rule in use.
LOL at the idea of "setting up a rivalry." I picture representatives from each meeting in a boardroom and negotiating terms.

I'm pretty sure you just start talking **** and winning tourney/money matches to start a rivalry. Although it would die out pretty quick because the NCSU crew would never win any.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Considering none of the people good at smash bros even go to NCSU besides Stingers?

lol

Have fun getting scraped by kevin+chris nich guys your on your own.

*practices wavedsashing back for six hours alone*

stingers

Smash Obsessed
besides me *****es :cool:

but really I think smash for money is kind of outdated.
i love smashfests but its hard to get people to go.
im not going to host any more tourneys unless people really showed me they were interested. as awesome as apex was, the community is going in a different direction.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Hey, I took a couple stocks off Chris the last time we Ganon dittoed. If you round up, that's the same as winning. And yeah, it's not a very good rivalry, but at least it'd be cool.

Also, the last time me and Kevin Kirby dittoed, he only had 1 stock remaining when he won. I'm not going to mention how many times he suicided with me, though.

I'd like it if we kept having NCSU tourneys. I never win money, but it's fun to play with people. Of course, hanging out at your place is cool too, but we don't get people from far away coming here.

flantasticflan

Smash Journeyman
Rigorously studying videos and thinking about the game (I only think about smash when I'm actually playing the game) aren't necessary for improving in my experience, and you can avoid wasting money on low turnout tournaments by just not going. Improve whichever way works for you, basically. Obviously if you asked someone like Kevin or Armada what their process is like it's going to resemble what you posted. But I know plenty of other good players who don't spend anywhere near that amount of time at getting better... they just play the game. I had a problem with devoting so much time to smash in the past but I changed that and realized it's just not necessary for me.

l.m.f.a.o.

We need more tournaments at legitimate venues in convenient (i.e. close enough to everyone so the turnout is good) areas ran by good TOs. I can't stress the importance of a "good" TO enough.. it's something I've been trying to advocate in NC for years. The way our state runs 95% of tournaments since I started playing is half-***. And if you want to make noise I think we need more videos coming from tournaments/smashfests.

But anyway I want to start seriously playing more again, so hit me up UNCG people, Dr PePé and Chris, etc.

you left me out bby :c

puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi puddi

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
First of all, If I could collect 200 dollars in donations from the community I could host a tournament in Raleigh the size of Tipped Off Easy mode.

Second of all, If alex stops hosting NCSU NC melee is going to take a serious blow

Third of all, Apex, (MANGO vs Hbox, Kevins marth vs armada) Are sets that caused so much hype that literally all other events at apex were paused so everyone in the venue could watch, not a single friendly was being played in either game. These two sets over the next few weeks will undoubtly circulate around and before you know it more and more people are going to wanna play again, Just in the past 3 days Ive gotten text from Boss hog (twiggy diggy) and Ali saying they wanna know when the next tournament is because they started practicing again

Dont ****ing give up on this community, it will prove to you time and time again that we will be playing this game for at least 5 more years.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'll find out on Friday if I'll be getting a job next semester as an RA. If I get it, you can count on me donating something towards a tourney that size. If not, I'll be trying for another job. And if I get that one, you can count on a not quite as large donation, due to the pay being less.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Snap im down for the cause if more people are down to donate.

Also what Mike said, if we had something like HERB again but more organized and run by a more qualified or a group of respected NC smashers who know what they are doing, than that will be a start to get the community going.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Also the Melee community wont die as a whole as long as tournaments like APEX are around.

We need to focus here at home in our community and make it better and not half ***.

BEHR

Smash Hero
i remember when mike first came over ***** played puff and had a friend who played luigi or some ****.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
a professional smash community is out of reach. thats not what the people want.
you can be strict, but people don't like it. people like smoke breaks, food breaks, shootin the ****, friendlying. get in the way of that and people resist a bit. if you let people do what the tourney doesnt get done. people will play their matches, but you might have to ask them a few times. you might have people leaving without even thinking of how they'll affect when the tourney gets done. there are a lot of conflicting variables that lead to an end result of unprofessionalism, but i'd say the main one is the fierce individualism of most of the community. none of us like being told what to do, more then most folk it seems to me.

i try hosting smashfests, but people don't come, even though that removes what seems to me to be the secondary aspect. I'll probably host another tournament. but from my rather relaxed surveying, it seems to me that project m is the main draw for most. I don't know how much OOS attendance we can draw for that, however.

and looooool mikes puff. i remember that. cuz its the only time ive ever been able to beat him x.x

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
More on that later, just ask me

I guess you should call me or something Kevin, flesh out this idea, I have an addendum I wanted to add as well, and I think you'll like it :3

sleeping soon but call me tomorrow/day after

l.m.f.a.o.

everyone learns differently

outline what makes a good TO?

let's play

Gboro vs Raleigh wouldn't be fun

But it would let me get good Mario practice.

besides me *****es :cool:

but really I think smash for money is kind of outdated.
i love smashfests but its hard to get people to go.
im not going to host any more tourneys unless people really showed me they were interested. as awesome as apex was, the community is going in a different direction.
You're basing diminished interest that naturally happens towards the end of every year to influence your decisions going into the most smash-centered part of the year? I don't agree with that.

First of all, If I could collect 200 dollars in donations from the community I could host a tournament in Raleigh the size of Tipped Off Easy mode.

Second of all, If alex stops hosting NCSU NC melee is going to take a serious blow

Third of all, Apex, (MANGO vs Hbox, Kevins marth vs armada) Are sets that caused so much hype that literally all other events at apex were paused so everyone in the venue could watch, not a single friendly was being played in either game. These two sets over the next few weeks will undoubtly circulate around and before you know it more and more people are going to wanna play again, Just in the past 3 days Ive gotten text from Boss hog (twiggy diggy) and Ali saying they wanna know when the next tournament is because they started practicing again

Dont ****ing give up on this community, it will prove to you time and time again that we will be playing this game for at least 5 more years.
ye

a professional smash community is out of reach. thats not what the people want.
you can be strict, but people don't like it. people like smoke breaks, food breaks, shootin the ****, friendlying. get in the way of that and people resist a bit. if you let people do what the tourney doesnt get done. people will play their matches, but you might have to ask them a few times. you might have people leaving without even thinking of how they'll affect when the tourney gets done. there are a lot of conflicting variables that lead to an end result of unprofessionalism, but i'd say the main one is the fierce individualism of most of the community. none of us like being told what to do, more then most folk it seems to me.

i try hosting smashfests, but people don't come, even though that removes what seems to me to be the secondary aspect. I'll probably host another tournament. but from my rather relaxed surveying, it seems to me that project m is the main draw for most. I don't know how much OOS attendance we can draw for that, however.

and looooool mikes puff. i remember that. cuz its the only time ive ever been able to beat him x.x
You gotta be gay about it online first so people know ur serious otherwise you just follow up unprofessionalism with mixed messages at the actual event. Preparation is the key.

Also stepping on some toes gets the message across that tourneys need to get done in an efficient manner. If there's an issue, work it out nicely but firmly. People usually understand especially if there's advance notice that you're going to adhere close to the rules. If you don't want to do that, then maybe have someone help you run the tourney who will/who has a good reputation.

I want to start hosting but arg time.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
@alex I never ran into those problems when I ran the G6 series and Im willing to bet any amount of money that it was because I set the tone early, it was a serious event. Idk if anyone remembers me almost DQing/Dqing several people including M2K, who was the only person who ever really held any tournament I ran up for more than an hour.

I had to have everyone out of that venue by midnight and I made it happen almost every time except G6: 1 Which to be fair, my first tournament I ever hosted which had over 70 entrants for melee and 40 odd something for brawl

All Im saying is, rule with an iron fist, but wear a velvet glove.

Honestly what you need at NCSU is a PA system of some kind, That was THE MAIN THING that allowed me to keep people from over friendlying and holding up my brackets. Another successful thing was for me to employee or volunteer a staff, Having non smash help from Rhiannon, Tko, and even hotel statff at times changed those events from almost terrible to clutch, and well done.

Another thing that helps is to DQ people in the first round or in pools, make example of one person losing one match in a set or an actual set and the rest will fall in line. No one wants to lose, no matter how much they want to hold your bracket up.

$mike

Smash Ace
Stingers is right about how, in NC, most people have grown accustomed to lots of food/weed breaks, friendlying, not playing their matches on time, and an overall leasurely setting at tournaments. It's kind of bizarre that entered players can leave for more than an hour, unannounced, and not be disqualified. Or how random groups of people have to leave to smoke weed for 15-30 mins before all of their matches. LOL. But I also agree with pp's entire post and about how you basically just need to be firm in the first place online.

I'd really push to get any tournament done as quick as possible. If that's done properly there will definitely be time after the event for plenty of friendlies, marijuana, and whatever. It's way better that way.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
getting things done faster also opens up potential for other fun events so tourneys don't seem so monotonous.

NC/most people like things like (draft?) crews, item tourneys, low tiers, weird doubles, wonky stages, and other rule alterations. Well if we get things done quickly we can have more events like that(what I would always do if/when I hosted.)

$mike

Smash Ace
I feel like Greensboro is a good area for everyone to come together for a tournament, and if you (pp) host I wouldn't mind helping out with TOing. I have no problem stepping on people's toes.

$mike

Smash Ace
Is Lost Ark completely out of the picture? I remember Chris or someone trying to organize something there but they were only interested in doing it under their hilarious rules. There might've been an issue with space too but if it was just the rules problem we might be able to talk to them.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
All NC TOs should know I'm always acvailable to help stomp the yard

And I know this has already been pointed out by mike and Alex, but in order to move forward we really need to work to break some of these habits we've formed as a community. I promise you being lackadaisical isn't only contributed to weed, I remember the time before a large cut of us were stoners and we still ran into these problems (not to say it's not now a major part if this issue, which I'm guilty of at basically every tourney I've gone to in recent year) but its something we can't just work on, it's something we need to change and I know we can.

The activity in the thread is up 400%, nothing usually happens here anymore. The facebook group is blowing up. The PR thread hasn't been touched in a month but I'm sure that'll change soon too. We have this awesome opportunity to finally take advantage of the hype and fire that comes with an event like APEX. We have basically all the resources, man power, and apparently will power, to make this more than a revival on NC MELEE, we can really turn this into something bigger and better than anyone is expecting from our state.

LET'S ****ING DO IT ALREADY JESUS ****ING CHRIST

Edit: yea kev I got an appointment with an eye doctor but I'll call you when I'm done with all dat

flantasticflan

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure there's not enough space in lost ark. You can always try geeksboro, it's off lawndale I'm not sure on how much space they have but it seems like a good place to start. As for playing tonight/tomorrow I'm down

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Lost ark is a no go. They only like to host with their own rulesets and aren't really open to outside tournies. Also why do we need to donate to have a good tourney ran instead of advertising the ones already being held? Another thing is that people actually have to come out to the tournaments. So many people claim to want to get better and want to see the community survive but then sit at home during any event that goes on.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I think we should all donate so that our next christmas party involves reserving an all you can eat buffet. I mean, who wouldn't want a tournament there?

Plus, they're probably big enough.

mb?

Smash Journeyman
id like to see a big tournament in nc that i didnt have to stay in a car for 5 hours to get to. i wouldnt mind donating a good bit of money to help with something like that

Top Bottom