• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

National Smash64 Tournament

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Hey guys, so there's something that I've been thinking about lately. Someone here in the smash64 section mentioned a while back that we should set aside a week or a weekend every year and have a smash64 tournament where we all attend. I know it will be hard to get 100% attendance, but if we all made an effort to make it, I think it would be awesome. It would be a great opportunity to meet everyone, get a pretty accurate rating on everyone's skill level, and it would also provide great input for things such as the tier list(not that it's that important :p), the smash64 learning curve, and other things of that sort. Taking into account that alot of players are students (money and time johns), and the US is a big country (distance johns), I would schedule a tournament like the first weekend in June somewhere in the middle part of the country, like Kansas for example, where flights/hotels/venues would be cheaper, and almost everyone would be out of school. Also, I know that alot more people go on vacations later into the summer (late June-early August), so having it towards the beginning of the summer would greatly increase attendance because it wouldn't interfere with summer vacation plans. Post your opinions here and we can all discuss. Thanks guys.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The best way to make this happen is make it a side event at a national tournament. Apex seems like a good opportunity.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
the reason i would set it up somewhere like Kansas is because it would be the same distance from the west and east coasts. if it was in New York, it would suck for us on the west coast because the flight would be more expensive, not to mention the time we would waste traveling all the way to the east coast, and vice versa. also, like i mentioned in the OP, by having it somewhere a little more remote, costs would also be less.

edit: i would also want to set this up strictly as a smash64 tournament

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If you have it in the middle of nowhere then pretty much EVERYONE has to travel. Having it in a populated area means that less people travel, but those who travel have to travel further. If you are gonna have to fly, it doesn't really make a difference if you are flying half way across the country or all the way across the country. That makes a lot more sense to me.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If you have it in the middle of nowhere then pretty much EVERYONE has to travel. Having it in a populated area means that less people travel, but those who travel have to travel further. If you are gonna have to fly, it doesn't really make a difference if you are flying half way across the country or all the way across the country. That makes a lot more sense to me.
Indeed. Plus if there are people who live nearby you can get housing.

Also Kansas would be no fun to go to (sorry everyone from Kansas :laugh:)

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
i think just by having a tournament anywhere, people are going to have to travel regardless. when i picked a place like Kansas (it doesnt have to be Kansas but just somewhere around that general area) i wanted to make it fair for everyone. i didnt want people on the west coast having to pay more for travel expenses and vice versa for the east coast if the tournament was held in the west. another reason why i would make this strictly a smash64 tourney is because we would have a weekend to actually play each other. i know that at tourneys that ive been to, people are too busy worried about the main events and as a result dont enter the smash64 side event. a weekend of strictly smash64 would be enough time for singles and doubles as well.

edit: but, what are the chances that people will actually house us? very small. and yes, i agree. Kansas is not at the top of my list of places i would want to travel to. (sorry Kansas :p)

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
maybe, but i wouldnt really know. besides, if ur playing console, u have to play with a controller, the controller adds to the console experience :p

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
maybe, but i wouldnt really know. besides, if ur playing console, u have to play with a controller, the controller adds to the console experience :p
For me it detracts as I really cannot play on it anymore. Also, I do not have an n64 controller anymore due to someone taking it from me

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Better have at in Orlando Florida or I'm not going lol.

I'm not willing to spend $300-400 on smash.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Better have at in Orlando Florida or I'm not going lol.

I'm not willing to spend $300-400 on smash.
i guess were just gonna have to have it without u sheer lol

on a more serious note, $300-400 is not that bad if u think about it. if u save up for a whole year, u should be able to have it by the time this rolls around. and it'll only be once a year so u wont have to worry about spendin all of ur hard-earned cash. if every smash64 player committed to coming out to this tourney every year, it would definitely make it worth the $300-400 imo

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
hey jel, when is TP6 and who else is goin?

hey blue yoshi, u goin to TP6 in Seattle, WA? u werent there for the last one lol
I'll post a Thread about it as soon as Gc guy gets a date on it. The sooner everyone knows about this the better and I'm sure everyone that came last time will come this time as will.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Midwest is good. Have it in the midwest. I say this as a totally unbiased possible attendee. Kansas. Kansas is good.

seriously though- why is having a side event to a melee or brawl tourney the way to go? If we could get good attendance, I say we should have it stand alone, just because it makes the whole thing seem more legit. What really decides where and when we have it, I think, will be what specific people can/want to do; and even at the perfect time and place, how many people will come? I've never been to one of these before, so I wouldn't know, but you'd need a pretty **** good turnout to make it worth people's while, considering how small the community is. Keeping that in mind, and keeping in mind how poor most of us are (lol) the critical thing is to have only one of these (whether it be tp6 or apex or G.A.M.M.E. or what have you) and to have everyone or almost everyone come to it. The thing I like about this idea is its annualness- something that's consistently happening. It would really, for me, make smash 64 seem like a more serious thing.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Midwest is good. Have it in the midwest. I say this as a totally unbiased possible attendee. Kansas. Kansas is good.

seriously though- why is having a side event to a melee or brawl tourney the way to go? If we could get good attendance, I say we should have it stand alone, just because it makes the whole thing seem more legit. What really decides where and when we have it, I think, will be what specific people can/want to do; and even at the perfect time and place, how many people will come? I've never been to one of these before, so I wouldn't know, but you'd need a pretty **** good turnout to make it worth people's while, considering how small the community is. Keeping that in mind, and keeping in mind how poor most of us are (lol) the critical thing is to have only one of these (whether it be tp6 or apex or G.A.M.M.E. or what have you) and to have everyone or almost everyone come to it. The thing I like about this idea is its annualness- something that's consistently happening. It would really, for me, make smash 64 seem like a more serious thing.
yeah, thanks battlecow. u pretty much hit the nail on the head. all of the reasons u stated was why i would want to set up a tourny like this one. and this is for evryone, if u are going to attend a tournament like Apex, TP"X" or GAMME, why not just save up your money and attend a Smash64 exclusive tourney that happens once a year??? I mean, from my personal experience, alot of the smash64 players dont really play the other smash games and those that do rarely end up winning anything in the other games. I mean, if push comes to shove, we can have melee on the side and hope that some of the melee players enter the smash64 tourney :ohwell:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Apex2?

if you had like melee then smash 64, or brawl then smash 64, for a 2 day event, I would fly down to enter. Brawl or Melee on Sat then all of Sunday to 64 or something I would definitely attend and enjoy playing friendlies and watching Isai play all day

just saying

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
why not, he plays more barlw tournaments than I do I think.
that may be true, but he's a smash64 player at heart lol

Apex2?

if you had like melee then smash 64, or brawl then smash 64, for a 2 day event, I would fly down to enter. Brawl or Melee on Sat then all of Sunday to 64 or something I would definitely attend and enjoy playing friendlies and watching Isai play all day

just saying
wat?! M2K down to play some smash64 friendlies? lol

well, since i already spent my savings to go to GAMME, itll prolly be a while until the next tourney i attend. ive been up to the northwest, and am goin down to florida next. i promise that my next tourney will be on the east coast ;)

the general concensus that im getting is that smash64 will never be able to stand on its own as far as tourneys go. which is quite sad. i guess the best we can do is try our hardest to attend those tourneys that DO have smash64 atleast as a side event :urg:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Those guys in socal had ssb64 only tourneys with pretty good turnout, like 20+ if I remember correctly. It's definitely possible but it's obviously difficult to get a lot of people to fly in.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
wat?! how come i never heard about these so-called smash64-only tourneys? id be hella down to
Well they were a while ago in so cal, I haven't seen the guy (MikeTheMike) post in a while.

Vids from a few different tournaments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcYjHpU-NHM

Samus Dittos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qoE2sl-bc

Isai gonna Isai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aVWpyeugmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhjtpdaClo

Smoke2Joints vs Trigger (good sets):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCAxz3E4FZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fse6c7Q1v3M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjnzdXlz4eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjThyS0x4ME

More at this channel also - http://www.youtube.com/user/SSBtourneyVids

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
that may be true, but he's a smash64 player at heart lol

wat?! M2K down to play some smash64 friendlies? lol

well, since i already spent my savings to go to GAMME, itll prolly be a while until the next tourney i attend. ive been up to the northwest, and am goin down to florida next. i promise that my next tourney will be on the east coast ;)

the general concensus that im getting is that smash64 will never be able to stand on its own as far as tourneys go. which is quite sad. i guess the best we can do is try our hardest to attend those tourneys that DO have smash64 atleast as a side event :urg:
Be sure you Dont miss the next BIG tourney here in Seattle :bee:

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
socal definitely needs to bring these tourneys back. id be the first one there lol

hey jel, im saving up money for TP6, so theres a high possibility that ill go :D

Top Bottom