• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my tech skill sucks

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
how can improve?
i can barely WD, and have trouble even Lcanceling... im practicing and getting a little better, but my time input does not seem equal to my skill increase -_-

is it always like this for Melee noobs?
lol, when people used to say that the skill diferance in Brawl was <<<<<<<<Melee, i now see what they mean.

lol im good a brawl (for realz) but im HORRIBLE at melee:laugh:!

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
how can improve?
i can barely WD, and have trouble even Lcanceling... im practicing and getting a little better, but my time input does not seem equal to my skill increase -_-

is it always like this for Melee noobs?
lol, when people used to say that the skill diferance in Brawl was <<<<<<<<Melee, i now see what they mean.

lol im good a brawl (for realz) but im HORRIBLE at melee:laugh:!
ummm.... just practice

Overload

Smash Lord
Don't expect to be able to learn it too quickly. Just focus on getting decent without techs, then start learning and incorporating them. For some reason it seems easier after you get good without them. I don't know maybe it is just me.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
V.S. Mode
Time
Infinite
Level 1 Computer
Your main

Now practice until your hands are sore. :]

As far as wavedashing goes, do practice mode. You don't need the c-stick to WD.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
V.S. Mode
Time
Infinite
Level 1 Computer
Your main

^^ this is what you do to get better. Believe it or not, its very very very true

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The only thing I can't do is SHL with Fox using X/Y
I have to use the control stick to Short Hop.

Or double shine with Fox. Double Shine with Falco is easy, but I can't do it consistently with Fox =_=

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
V.S. Mode
Time
Infinite
Level 1 Computer
Your main

sounds perfect. i'm still bad at some things but this is the key to fixing it.

Or double shine with Fox. Double Shine with Falco is easy, but I can't do it consistently with Fox =_=
shine short hop double lazers EFF TEE DOUBLE YOU

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I still can't master SHFFLing CF Uairs. Sometimes his leg doesn't go in a complete circle, sometimes I shield after I land, etc. It takes practice but applying it is harder than just mastering it on its own.

btw Al, nice sig lol

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
do you use only your right thumb to SHDL or do you use both hands?
and do you jump on the control stick to Shine-Bair or do you use X/Y?

When it comes to Fox, I'm either doing it wrong, or I have the slowest hands in the freakin world

Eggm

Smash Hero
I've went through 2 controllers JUST learning fox. Its just a lot of practice, just don't give up. Btw, its easiest to learn WD with a floaty with a fast WD. Like IC's or samus or something like that.

brg

Smash Ace
I've went through 2 controllers JUST learning fox. Its just a lot of practice, just don't give up. Btw, its easiest to learn WD with a floaty with a fast WD. Like IC's or samus or something like that.
Its reassuring to hear that from you ;)

Ive been learning fox for the last few days and man, I still cant drillshine consistently
Waveshine is coming along, but forget more than 2 in a row.

shuffled nair -> shine-> waveshine
that takes some ****ing speed lol

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
If you've been practicing for a few hours or something and haven't seen improvement since you started that session, then just take a break and come back later on or the next day. Often times you'll return to Melee and suddenly do better.
If you aren't playing matches, then the best thing you can do is play 30 minutes a day -- or an hour at the max. You'll likely improve faster than if you spent the whole day with the game. It's also less frustrating. ;)

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Best way to get better at something is to practice. Try playing guys that are really good at melee. Getting ***** constantly makes you that much better.
I wish that would happen, but I don't know anyone in stockton thats GOOD. Even though i practice with my friend and were in the same level with decent techs. We don't play each other much because i have no ride.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Because Melee has a slightly different style of playing, and Brawl is also very complicated, but in a different way... well, the only way your going to get better is if you practice, practice, practice. ^^ :yoshi:

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I am always really amused at your life expectancy for controllers considering I have never broken one. I use all of my controllers until M2K loses them, then I use another one. I've been using this green one since Pound2...

King~

Smash Champion
This has been buggin me since i decided to learn these AT's

How the hell do you waveshine

and whoever said its easier to learn after you played the games for years without them was right it seems(i took me all of a week to be able to wavedash consistently)

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
^^^^waveshine is basically wavedashing out of a shine because the jump cancels the shine.. also the timing is a little different when you hit someone with the shine.

Oracle

Smash Master
L cancel with z. It's easier to press than the shield buttons and eliminates the chance of shielding.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
do you use only your right thumb to SHDL or do you use both hands?
and do you jump on the control stick to Shine-Bair or do you use X/Y?

When it comes to Fox, I'm either doing it wrong, or I have the slowest hands in the freakin world
try to use the control stick to SHDL.
i use y to jump, but it's too hard for me to move my thumb from Y to B fast enough ha

i use the control stick for shinebairs too but i rarely do 'em (mostly just from ledge)

okiyama

Smash Ace
The first day after my friend played me in smash competitively he decided that he wanted to learn tech skill so he wanted to start out with WD.

He played for about 6 hours... his index finger bled... no jokes.
Then a few days later he was like "I can WD now! I can probably beat you!" Cocky noobs are funny.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
AT aren't extremely difficult to get used to, the only thing about it that might be slightly hard is learning it. But to be honest, if practicing computers isn't working try fighting someone in a plain friendly and keep trying it. Sometimes I've noticed that its easier to get computers stuck in the mix of AT then it is to get actual people to.

The real confusion starts when your throwing it into your gameplay. That'll be the hardest part.

okiyama

Smash Ace
To throw it into your gameplay what I did was just have matches where you do nothing but wavedash to move. This will force you to learn how to wavedash under pressure of an opponent attacking you.

You will get ***** in your all WD matches though, it's all part of the process.
For L-Canceling/SHFFL What I did was similar. In a game a techincal player just has a reaction to L Cancel. It's not really thought out it's just instinct. When you first strat out you need to be actively thinking about your L Canceling. So just have some matches where you try to SHFFL spam and MAKE SURE YOU L CANCEL EVERY TIME even if you get shield grabbed or whatever it doesn't matter, just think about L Cancelling.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
V.S. Mode
Time
Infinite
Level 1 Computer
Your main

lol, i did this, played for a few hours strait vs. Lv1 and ended up being late for work...:laugh:

i fell better though, and can see my Lcancel starting to work, and im starting to learn when to use WD, although im still not that good at doing it, even when i see a good use for it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

Did I say SHL with Fox?

I mean't DSHL with Fox.

SHL is easy enough, but I can only DSHL using the Control stick to SH.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
V.S. Mode
Time
Infinite
Level 1 Computer
Your main

Seriously, I did this for 3 hours with Falco. I used to shoot over Fox's head whenever I SHLed. Now I can shoot him in the head, knees, chest, wherever.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
unless that is your real name, i cant imagine why you would make your name one letter off from a famous guitarist that you apparently are aware of. this just blows my mind

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
i actually wanst aware of him, until someone brought it to my attention a few weeks ago...

apparently alot of people know him... but not me (until now)
is there any way to change my screenname?

Overload

Smash Lord
i actually wanst aware of him, until someone brought it to my attention a few weeks ago...

apparently alot of people know him... but not me (until now)
is there any way to change my screenname?
That requires becoming a premium member, which costs money, and even then, your name can only be changed once. You might as well make a new account, like I did 3 or 4 times.

Top Bottom