• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My one big dissapointment

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I wholeheartedly agree. Trophies were a part of what made Smash special to me. I was shocked that they decided to just get rid of them like they were such a minor thing -- outside of just playing matches with friends, trophies were a massive part of the replay value.

Spirits looks like it could be a cool mode though, so I'm not going to hold this against it. If they keep the descriptions and the game appearances like they had on the Trophies, then I probably won't care that much.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's ironic really. Bored as I was, I at least managed to enjoy the character additions. I was prepped for that.

See, what I wasn't prepped for was them teasing what could've been amazing story mode. But now, there's high reason to believe it won't! ARGH!!

Lowering your expectations is easy. But to have the Direct itself raise them and then smash them. It's soul-renching.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Thankfully, I felt very detached of any emotion from the direct as I take the perspective of the game developer and why those changes are made.

What I believe that this game was aiming for is to be the ultimate entry that delivers functionally with lots of modular pieces that make endless possibilities coming alive. When regarding that smash bros icons and Nintendo figures are toys, it makes sense that it would be a chaotic and mind-blowing adventure filled with one off events and role-playing elements, particularly when existing characters have to play roles of other characters like theatrical stage-play. I can see that kind of Spirits mode being the new standard for single player that encompasses Classic, Adventure, and Events rolled into one package.

Shall Smash continue into the future into being more of a Game as Service model for the next entry, it would be beneficial to keep that Sprits as baseline and crate even more bizarre adventures form the modular components.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I was hoping for actual levels in Ultimate. I expect something more like Melee than Brawl's SSE but still something with actually levels and enemies from each major series.

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
Custom moves / stages look like there gone now with Peach's throws getting taking over by Toad and no new characters I like. Doesn't seem like there will be much improvements in this game from the Wii U Smash.

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
I just thought of something. Spirits mode, discounting the World of Light adventure mode, basically is a fully customizable Event mode. You know what would be amazing? If we could customize a Spirits "mission" and share it with people online. Think of all the possibilities! :p
Hell yeah, I love stuff like that. I'd be totally on board with that - Idk if Sora Ltd. would do that though, as the game's already packed to the brim with content.

That'd be incredibly fun and have lots of longevity though! Great idea

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Why remove the trophies? Sure they were a chore to acquire, but they helped give an incentive to replay classic mode and other game modes.

There isn't any difference between Spirit and World of Light for me. Besides cutscenes (which there seems to be only one) and unlocking characters, what is the motivation for me to return? Acquiring more Spirits and leveling them up?

Also, what is the purpose of All Star mode this time around? Just fighting groups of enemies consistently? What for? Level up Spirits? I can already do that with other modes.

Honestly, if we are forced to have only the original 8 starting characters from 64 why not have them show up in Multi-Man Melee 100 and have us unlock them as they are defeated?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I prefer spirits because they have uses in the game, but there being no 3d trophies, for people who liked them, does suck, including if some people liked the last features for making neat pictures and all that.

What's odd is that if they saved some time from that (no trophy models), I'd expected more characters. But maybe all of the work they put into making each character more expressive took a lot. It's possible the spirits/story mode has a lot more to it than we know as well.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It just makes me confused about where all the dev time went, since there also seem to be less singleplayer modes, and World of Light doesn’t seem as substantial as SSE. Maybe the development period was just shorter than I thought it was.

Still, it’s nice that you can do things with your spirits, they’re way more substantial than stickers at least. I’m probably gonna spend time training my favorite characters and stuff, it really does give fans of certain obscure characters something to do, and it’s just as much a celebration of Nintendo history as trophies were.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It just makes me confused about where all the dev time went, since there also seem to be less singleplayer modes, and World of Light doesn’t seem as substantial as SSE. Maybe the development period was just shorter than I thought it was.

Still, it’s nice that you can do things with your spirits, they’re way more substantial than stickers at least. I’m probably gonna spend time training my favorite characters and stuff, it really does give fans of certain obscure characters something to do, and it’s just as much a celebration of Nintendo history as trophies were.
70+ characters 100+ (or 300+) stages, 900+ music tracks, more items than ever, most competitively focused game mechanics in Smash, character specific Classic Mode...

I think there are quite a few places where development time might went to.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I recently came across something that doesn't make me feel so good.

With the fighter details clearly stating that the special moves use the B button, I'm dreading that control configurations are gone. This could be a problem for those who don't use GameCube controllers, since the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons and Pro Controller use the same A, B, Y, and X button format as the Wii U's Pro Controller.

Below are the Wii U Pro Controller control configurations that I've used for Smash Wii U, and I'm afraid that Smash Ultimate won't let you replicate those configurations.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I can see how this can be upsetting considering how long they've been in Smash. I've personally never cared for them though. I'd look at them once (if that) and that's it.

Maybe it would make things better if they included a few sentences of the character's history in Spirits mode.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Trophies where terribly handled in Smash 4, can't really be too upset that it's gone. My biggest dissapointment is how they threw out stuff as equipment, and adventure mode, Event Matches, and even Smash Run, and mixed them togheter in a way that's underwhelming to the max. Even Smash Run looks way better. They also don't have regular enemies anymore as in Smash Run, or even Adventure Mode.

The way Smash 4 handled equipment and costum moves would've made a lot of sense with the semi-RPG elements this Spirits Mode turns out to be like. Battling enemies like in Smash Run and gaining stat buffs is also a thing that would make way much more sense. But no, instead we get a watered down Brawl-Sticker system with a story mode that's basically watered down Event Matches.

It's also a big dissapointment how they announced everything that's hype so far before the final Direct. "Everyone's here", Ridley, King K.Rool... all caused WAY MORE hype and uproar than everything we've gotten this last Direct.

Yeah, am also dissapointed. I doubt I'll even ever play Spirits Mode.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I never liked trophies to begin with to be honest, and I'm sort of glad they're going with 2D renders that help in battle. I'm probably not going to use them for battles unless online allows them for whatever bizarre reason, but at least they look cool.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I was extremely disapointed when it was announced trophies won't be returning. In all honesty, I thought his explanation was a little strange. Sakurai basically said that it would've taken too much work and spirits was a replacement. I mean no offense, but to me the first excuse sounds lazy, and the second doesn't make sense. Spirits doesn't replace trophies, because trophies are more than just characters. Trophies are final smashes, items, weapons, enemies, even locations sometimes. Plus, with trophies gone, what is the point of classic and all-stars? Does anyone really want to play either of those modes 70+ times for no reward other than to say you did so? I also found the manner in which they announced that trophies would not be returning to be kind of disrespectful. I mean they basically acted like trophies being gone was no big deal. I still love and appreicate everything this game is going to be, but to me, it will not be ULTIMATE without trophies.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
This is exactly how I feel.

Everyone out there assumes that I'm sour on the direct because "everyone got their hopes high from the grinch leak", but characters are not the problem for me.
Removing trophies and making spirits such a gacha, mobile-game thing for me completely kills any hopes of single player for me. And when Nintendo online isn't that great and I don't know that many people irl who want to play this game as much as I do... No trophies means that after characters are unlocked there's not much I can play outside of fighting CPUs I guess.
And then even the spirits "events" or matches or w.e.... they look like filler. A fight where I fight CPUs who are all bullet bills or spamming items or spamming non-sense... that stuff is fun when it's with people... with the CPU it's just annoying. The idea that I have to go through that stuff to get to bosses and unlocking characters already feels like a drag.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm honestly fine with Incineroar and Ken being the last two fighters, but what you said is what killed the direct for me.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I was extremely disapointed when it was announced trophies won't be returning. In all honesty, I thought his explanation was a little strange. Sakurai basically said that it would've taken too much work and spirits was a replacement. I mean no offense, but to me the first excuse sounds lazy, and the second doesn't make sense. Spirits doesn't replace trophies, because trophies are more than just characters. Trophies are final smashes, items, weapons, enemies, even locations sometimes. Plus, with trophies gone, what is the point of classic and all-stars? Does anyone really want to play either of those modes 70+ times for no reward other than to say you did so? I also found the manner in which they announced that trophies would not be returning to be kind of disrespectful. I mean they basically acted like trophies being gone was no big deal. I still love and appreicate everything this game is going to be, but to me, it will not be ULTIMATE without trophies.
It doesn't sound lazy, it's them trying to push the game out faster by eliminating an idea that is no longer working. Time was a factor considering this game will be the 20th anniversary of Smash Bros, and people care more about game play than they care about the collectathon.

I'm sure there won't be zero reward for classic and all star modes. Have you seen the amount of characters we will have to unlock?

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'll miss trophies, but mostly from the descriptions they come with than the actual 3D models. However, if no trophies means more spirits meaning they can create more events-style matches, then that's an okay tradeoff.

I'm more bothered about the other missing single player stuff and would be surprised if the Home Run Contest doesn't appear at all.

osby

Smash Obsessed
There was too much load on modelling team, so they dropped them. Simple as that. It's not a personal attack to anyone, it just wasn't plausible.

Also, if you play certain modes JUST to get a collectible, maybe you shouldn't. This is a game, it's supposed to be for fun. And yes, I'll play Classic Mode for everyone, because it looks like the best in the series.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There was too much load on modelling team, so they dropped them. Simple as that. It's not a personal attack to anyone, it just wasn't plausible.

Also, if you play certain modes JUST to get a collectible, maybe you shouldn't. This is a game, it's supposed to be for fun. And yes, I'll play Classic Mode for everyone, because it looks like the best in the series.
But it doesn't really give an incentive to play the mode besides unlocking characters. Why would we play All star mode if it isn't used to unlock a character?Once all characters are unlocked (which is why people will mainly use these modes) why revisit them?

D

Deleted member

Trophies are what made Smash what it is. Starting in 64. When I was younger I loved getting all the trophies from doing classic mode on Melee. And I used to love the game in brawl where you could shoot trophies with coins and collect them. Trophies were kinda important for me. I learned alot of history through those. But I guess all good things come to an end.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
But it doesn't really give an incentive to play the mode besides unlocking characters. Why would we play All star mode if it isn't used to unlock a character?Once all characters are unlocked (which is why people will mainly use these modes) why revisit them?
To challenge yourself? Do you guys only play single player content to unlock stuff?

D

Deleted member

To challenge yourself? Do you guys only play single player content to unlock stuff?
I loved single player modes. Competitive play has gotten a hold of me more than it should tho...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What other reason is there to play? Sure you can challenge yourself once, but the novelty wears off very quickly.
I played through the Subspace Emissary to unlock all the characters, but I never touched it again afterwards.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What other reason is there to play? Sure you can challenge yourself once, but the novelty wears off very quickly.
I played through the Subspace Emissary to unlock all the characters, but I never touched it again afterwards.
I did, so I guess we just need to agree on disagreeing.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I did, so I guess we just need to agree on disagreeing.
Yep. But to be honest, with how similar Spirits mode and World of Light are they both seem redundant existing at the same time. Having both seems like development time could have been spent on more characters and online features since singleplayer looks to be bare bones, to me at least.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah I agree.
They canned a really neat mini-feature for a gamemode I have no interest in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yep. But to be honest, with how similar Spirits mode and World of Light are they both seem redundant existing at the same time. Having both seems like development time could have been spent on more characters and online features since singleplayer looks to be bare bones, to me at least.
They both share assets, that's why they are under the same menu.

Yeah I agree.
They canned a really neat mini-feature for a gamemode I have no interest in.
Spirits don't use any models, though. If they scrapped trophies, it was most likely because of the overload on modelling team due to stages, items and characters.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
They both share assets, that's why they are under the same menu.
But why bother if they are so similar? If the only difference is running around on a map like World tour then that is ok for whoever likes it I guess. If it is for cutscenes then people will just watch those online like they did the Sub Space Emissary.
Until I see myself transversing and platforming through multiple Nintendo esque worlds it doesn't feel like an adventure. As of now, it looks like playing a Sonic game skipping straight to Robotnik battles without running through Green Hill Zone.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If future software updates expand on fighter customization, even going as far as to add custom specials onto every fighter (which is probably asking for too much), then perhaps you could utilize the Spirits to alter your fighter's stats for Group mode matches.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's no loss to me. I don't look at trophies after I've read their description. There are other ways to stimulate the feel-good chemicals in my brain by collecting spirits. SSBU is a huge game. Maybe once things are cut in the next game, trophies will be worth working on.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
I'm pretty sure Classic, All-Star and Spirits are single-player.
they are, its just that they removed lots of stuff

remember Home-Run Contest, Target Test/Blast, Smash Run, Trophy Rush, Masterpieces
those are all gone

osby

Smash Obsessed
they are, its just that they removed lots of stuff

remember Home-Run Contest, Target Test/Blast, Smash Run, Trophy Rush, Masterpieces
those are all gone
Smash Run is nothing suprising, they have a new mode now.

Nobody liked Trophy Rush and Target Blast anyway.

Target Test wasn't in the last game either.

Masterpieces and Home-Run Contest gone a shame, though.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice

I never said I played the game just for collectibles, but rather it's something I look forward to. Smash is the only place where many Nintendo series are acknowledged nowadays, so being able to read the descriptions of characters and about them in trophies was something I always loved doing. Also I don't think classic is meaningless without trophies, but I don't think anyone can play the same mode 80 times without motivation, like a reward (trophy), to keep them going.

Also on a side note, anyone else disappointing with All Stars? Not trying to be a downer constantly, but just really didn't like what they did with the mode. Kind of made it a glorified century smash...

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never said I played the game just for collectibles, but rather it's something I look forward to. Smash is the only place where many Nintendo series are acknowledged nowadays, so being able to read the descriptions of characters and about them in trophies was something I always loved doing. Also I don't think classic is meaningless without trophies, but I don't think anyone can play the same mode 80 times without motivation, like a reward (trophy), to keep them going.

Also on a side note, anyone else disappointing with All Stars? Not trying to be a downer constantly, but just really didn't like what they did with the mode. Kind of made it a glorified century smash...
  • Spirits also have descriptions
  • It's not the same mode, each character have a unique Classic Mode
  • I liked how Brawl did it, but it's perfectly fine, a lot of people didn't liked how it was in the last game because there was just too many fighters

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
  • Spirits also have descriptions
  • It's not the same mode, each character have a unique Classic Mode
  • I liked how Brawl did it, but it's perfectly fine, a lot of people didn't liked how it was in the last game because there was just too many fighters
Yeah I am excited for classic this time around. I understand that spirits have descriptions, but I still prefer trophies as trophies were more than just characters. They were items, final smashes, areas, weapons, playable characters... all of which will not be represented by spirits. I'm not trying to hate on spirits and everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just doesn't seem like an adequate replacement to me.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Melee's trophy collection stands out the most to me, because most of the models are original (My favorite kinds of trophies ever in Melee will still be the retro ones like Ayumi, Donbi/Hikari, Balloon Fighter, etc.). Brawl got a little more lazy with some trophies, and Smash 4 felt as if the trophies were mostly ported models. As much as I liked how Spirits expanded on hundreds more Nintendo IPs, using re-used assets I feel was not the way to go. Had Spirits been at least original still models, I would have been okay with it. Instead, I end up feeling that doing this mode will just be collecting art assets like in most mobile games, which is not a rewarding task to me whatsoever.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If the Spirits contain little descriptions it'll soften the blow for me, but yeah I too will miss trophies, even though we didn't get many original model trophies in the past two games. Melee really spoilt us showing us characters of old in 3D for the first time. Didn't appreciate that enough at the time.

Top Bottom