• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My one big dissapointment

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Melee's trophy collection stands out the most to me, because most of the models are original (My favorite kinds of trophies ever in Melee will still be the retro ones like Ayumi, Donbi/Hikari, Balloon Fighter, etc.). Brawl got a little more lazy with some trophies, and Smash 4 felt as if the trophies were mostly ported models. As much as I liked how Spirits expanded on hundreds more Nintendo IPs, using re-used assets I feel was not the way to go. Had Spirits been at least original still models, I would have been okay with it. Instead, I end up feeling that doing this mode will just be collecting art assets like in most mobile games, which is not a rewarding task to me whatsoever.
It's not developers being lazy. Melee could add a lot of unique trophies because they had low polygon count. Since Wii U and Ultimate uses HD models, it become increasingly harder to make hundreds of high-resolution models.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Tbh no I’m not going to a whole lot. It’s cool for the description it it got pretty halfassed in later games imo.

In Melee they were well done. You had the fighter in their classic look, as well as their melee look. You had some characters in the design of melee. The lottery was an addiction, I could go on really.

In Brawl it was done okay no complaints really.

Four I just lost interest.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Should have gone with original art in the same style of the banner.
Either that or something like the stock icons.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Should have gone with original art in the same style of the banner.
Either that or something like the stock icons.
Do you mean Spirits?

Stock icons would just be boring, since they are so small and minimalist. And doing original art for so many characters is simply not plausible, unless you commission a stupid amount of artists.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While people might complain that reusing old artworks is lazy, they do represent a character's history as well. You'd likely never see a 3D rendering of Kaptain K. Rool, so at least be fortunate that his artwork was used in the form of a Spirit.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I wish all of the spirits at least had a matching artstyle. I mean some of them look like low quality stickers while others are 3D. They just don't fit together which makes the mode look a little messy. I'm not asking for high quality 3D models of every character, I would've been fine if they just did stickers for everyone, but it's just a little weird looking that it's a micture of both.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
It probably takes days for each trophy to be modeled, especially in HD.

It'd take a few minutes to write a short bio for each if you knew what you were writing about, or took some time to even just glance through the wiki page of whatever character. Just assign a handful of people to do that for a few months, give it all one pass for review and revision, and then you'd have everything. It's a lot of work, but it's more doable than thousands of HD, 3D models.

So here's hoping we get some descriptions still.
Couple of days late due to blizzcon, but just want to point out that writing in-game strings takes a lot more work than this. As someone who works with this sort of stuff for a living.

First, while it's probably minutes per description, that adds up quickly when you're talking about smash. Then you have to take that amount and multiply it by however many languages you are localizing the game to, and in this game we know that's a lot. Around ten I think? So that's already a factor of ten on the writing workload.
Second, "if you knew what you were writing about" is never really the case. With Smash in particular, you are talking about characters from multiple franchises, and I would be very very surprised if there is any professional writer in the world that has the level of Nintendo and Video Game expertise to quickly write entries for all possible things you could find in Smash. Especially if they're professional writers since that probably means they have less time to spend on fansites and wikis absorbing information, due to having to spend more time on their careers.
So, with that in mind, the "one pass for review and revision" becomes more complicated too. Because then QA and LQA (localization QA) has to not only read through all the content that was written but also has to do the research to make sure that all references and claims made in the trophy are accurate to the terminology and glossaries established by each franchise. When doing localization it gets even more nasty because it isn't just the simple job of translating, but making sure your translations don't wind up being different than a previous translation, which is easy to ensure with big characters like mario and pokemon but a ton harder with a lot of more obscure content where you can't just pull up the game to verify, or maybe the original source game wasn't even localized correctly or consistently.

So then you have QA take ideally several hours going over this text to make sure it makes sense. But then you have cases where it gets in the build from a preliminary pass, and someone in QA testing the game finds out that, hey, something is wrong. Say 20% of strings have bugs, that's still a significant portion of content that has to go through bugging, triage and regression processes. Then, because THOSE get changed as a result of source changes, you have to send a second batch to localization again so that localization also fixes the errors.

Just to break it down more simply, for any single string you have involvement from dev/designers (depending on the string), from the writers, from the editors, from QA, from localization translators, localization editors, localization QA, and any other random individual who has knowledge or authority pertinent to what gets written. That's a ton of people, from around the world.

And that's why, even ignoring the art modeling and rendering and all that artistic work, the writing itself also involves a lot of hours of work, which translates into a lot of money. Which is why shortening this workload makes a ton of sense.

If I were a producer perspective, I would do exactly the same and find different incentives. But as a fan, I still find it ****ty since the mitigation to justify their exclusion doesn't appeal to me. Like, if they removed spirits and left in a lower amount of trophies than those in past games, I'd be happy. As a fan, lol.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
So not even the playables have trophies?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I understand why Trophies were left out but it still stings.
I wish the fighters at least have a character profile thing akin to SSB64

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Such was the price paid to bring back every veteran and nearly every stage, plus implement all the variants of said stages.
There are limits to what can fit on the carts with these games, and having thousands of various character models would be overkill.
To gain one thing, another had to be replaced.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
A big dissapointment to me is the fact that all stages are avaiable since the beginning. I don't see a reason for that. The number of stages of the game is so big, that if only half of them were avaiable from the beginning and the other half we needed to unlock, we would have another list of things to do to have a sense of progress, specially now that we dont have trophies, the game could use other things to unlock.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
A big dissapointment to me is the fact that all stages are avaiable since the beginning. I don't see a reason for that. The number of stages of the game is so big, that if only half of them were avaiable from the beginning and the other half we needed to unlock, we would have another list of things to do to have a sense of progress, specially now that we dont have trophies, the game could use other things to unlock.
Where was it confirmed thay all stages are unlocked?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well, this is the consequence of having a 75+ character roster. and I'm very sad. But I like they're trying something "sticker+rpg elements". Maybe if the game launched next year instead of now...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, this is the consequence of having a 75+ character roster. and I'm very sad. But I like they're trying something "sticker+rpg elements". Maybe if the game launched next year instead of now...
Well, that's where software updates could potentially come to play.

Top Bottom