• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Marth needs improvement- Updated with NEW VIDS!!!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Rofl. This thread is old an Cactuar is still defending me.

<3 Charles.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You need to work on some off the stage edgeguarding. There were a lot of times that you could've just ran out and Faired him out of his up B. Don't ever continue charging a smash after your opponent gets past you. And even though it got you knocked of the stage you at least should have made it back. Wait longer to do your up B so that your closer to the stage.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why wouldn't I just grab? I'm fairly certain grab outranges his jab or is at least equal to it. Plus that rarely works on players that are used to it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
He means you should wavedash in and jab him so that you can get a free grab. You did foward smash a lot and very few of them hit because there was no set up. Any time you can get a grab on fox you can easily punish him. Even if he techs on a platform you should be able to follow his tech with a Fair or even another grab if you can get up there fast enough.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Sonic Wave. If you noticed, when fox grabbed you he followed up with more hits, whereas often when you threw him, you let chances to combo him slip away, or attempted to combo but missed.

I did like the wavedashing; I've seen a lot of people wavedash but not use it for anything, whereas you were using it to great effect.

The other thing I can think of at the moment is that when you were coming back from dying/being hit high, you tended to do another jump, or keep yourself in the air longer, allowing him to get you with another uair. Try to get to the ground faster so that you both are on the same footing.

D

Deleted member

however, CC grab does work against competent opponents.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Truth from my friends ^^^^.

I'd rather d-tilt > grab.

Yeah, Marth's jab just isn't good. I mean it can used, but only sparingly and most opponents expect jab > grab. When I do use it I usually just do repeated neutral A's because most people don't expect it and it gets them off of me.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
EL, your marth is very good. You're better than me, and from what I can see you're doing just fine. All I can say is play more gay with marth; I didn't see enough chain grabbing on fox. You were grabbed quite a lot. Do whatever is necessary to stop fox from grabbing, cause it's all fox has on you (if you don't screw up and get shined spiked). Nice marth, I hope to play you sometime.

KRule

Smash Cadet
lolz he doesnt grab enuf he said he wanted help... marth chaingrab into fsmash ftw

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
:laugh: It's cool dude, I was just kidding.

It's a lot harder to get grabs in vs good players though, so a simple statement like "Grab more" isn't really good advice.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I really wouldn't worry about that FrostByte because his jab sucks. If you want to abuse IASA frames stick with his d-tilt.

To everyone else: Don't worry about Cactuar. We are friends and in the same crew so he can be a little over protective of me. That's all.

<3 Cactuar.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
lol ok, i'm still a scrub so it's w/e. Well I think you'd remember this match better than any of your other matches...I think your controller almost ended up broken, or completely broken.

KRule

Smash Cadet
for a better way to grab u probably know but wut helps me is to run and right before ur grab press up it goes faster, or just sheild grab

felipe1123

Smash Cadet
You DI'd Fox's u-throw either forward or not at all. It's difficult to be anticipating and DI backwards, but it was just something I noticed. Also you DI'd a lot of attacks away, which is fine, but it got predictable especially after fox's u-air and you got u-air'd again for it, one time for the stock.

Also, a lot of Fox's combos in this match began from when you were on a platform above him and he took advantage of the bad placing to..well, combo you. He was also able to bait quite a bit of F-smashes from you on your approach, especially during the middle of your match. It's ******** to say F-smash less, but try not to do it when he's so obviously baiting you for an attack. Um, the fox also dd-camped a lot, but a lot of times just waited for you to make the first move, so...yeah. Something else I noticed.

I dunno.

Velox

Smash Ace
You're actually better than I thought you would be. Good stuff, nice good solid Marth.

Little bit too much n-air bait though ehh? lol, you definatly get your mileage out of that move :D

Just a small critique though if I may, if your edge guarding Fox and he comes straight at you, just jab him so that he falls below the stage and you can **** him there. That's very popular down here because it works so well. Usually there is no need to wavedash back and prepare for the Fox to come at you.

EL, i dont feel like readin five pages of responses so if any of this is duplicate information Im sorry

Maybe on that stage specifically you might want to up throw less. You do it at :32, 1:44, and 2:14 you attempt up throw combos. The one at 1:44 worked out ok for you but the ability of the space animals to land on a platform that is ho high on this level specifically ends your abilities to chain though or get a front smash. Instead you might want to try what you did at 2:23 more often on this level.

2:23 you do a down throw and get a front smash out of it even though they tech. This was highly successful for setting your up for edge guarding, much more than the up throws on this stage. However, right after you charge a f-smash. And get KOed because they know where you are going to be. If your on a stage with platforms that allows them at least three places to go (ledge, platform or ground level) you might be better served by staying where you charge your smash but just not charging it so you can use aerials if necessary. Your charge up at 4:22 was fine though because they didnt have the platform option without getting through your sword.

AT 2:50 you go all the way through the dolphin dance or whatever ever it is called with the right or left+ b move. Usually its a bad idea to go past the third attack of that because either you wont have them trapped for the third attack and have to run away or you will hit them out of range for the fourth one.

When you get your third stock taken away at 3:36 you are getting predictable with the right+b recovery move. When you are within range of being hit by a ledge guarding move i find it best to air dodge or reflect move when they come at you.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I watched the vid and noticed a few things. Just how much are you observing in a match? It seems like you are just running on patterns for the most part. I see a lot of chances to smash missed techs or other mistakes from your opponent that you don't take. Try to not play off of instinct and patterns and try to play based on what you observe from your opponent. A few tips on a fox's missed techs or habitual techs could have turned that into a much different battle. It also only takes a few tips early on to totally freak most people out and have them second guessing themselves the rest of the match.

That's just my two cents though, other than that your Marth is really nice.

Edit: Just realized that this thread was mega old when it started, so you may already know this stuff by now.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm bored so I'll critique my own vid.

00:18- I got hit my nair and I spot dodged. That should have a free grab. Then Fox was on the platform and I could have u-tilted, but I shielded instead. Silly me.

00:21 Dash danced and then I stood there while Fox grabbed me. Then I didn't DI his u-throw. I'm a moron. I have to DI behind Fox when he u-throws.

I need to become profficient at smash DIing Foxes uair, so he can't chain them together on me.

00:34- Did a bair when Fox was on the platform. Should have u-tilted or naired to set-up for edgeguarding.

I screwed around alot whenever Fox died and was very predictable. I should work on that.

I messed up my chain throwing and my grab combos a few times. I have to work on that.

I was f-smash happy. Especially wavedash back to f-smash. I should cut back on that.

I hardly ever DIed Foxes u-throw. I REALLY need to DI that. lol.

I screwed up my edge guarding quite a bit. I have to watch my opponents alot more carefully and react accordingly. I should also try leaving the stage more often to edgeguard.

I didn't do alot of Marth's shield guessing games. I didn't use d-tilt alot either. I need to step it up.

I got caught off guard alot whenever Fox jabbed me. I need to start rolling or jumping whenever I get jabbed.

I relied very heavily on baiting Fox with shuffeld nairs. I should mix up my mindgames so I don't get predictable.

I was very defensive. I should be more aggressive.

I suck. ;>_>

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
NEW VIDS!!!!!!!

Two vids of me vs pockyD the newest addition to my crew TSA. Don't expect too much from these vids though. I made some mistakes and got a little too f-smash spammy. And I messed up my spacing alot. Still, I didn't do too bad, I guess. Here are the links.

pockyD (Ice Climbers) vs. Emblem Lord (Marth) Match 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSMz6FVDdRI&NR=1

pockyD (Ice Climbers) vs. Emblem Lord (Marth) Match 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxdls0POeLI&NR=1

Please be brutally honest when critiqueing.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
ICs aren't fun to play against at all. Well, you should work on your aerial game, where the ICs are completely vunerable. Your ground game was fine, however the ground is IC heaven. I noticed you were throwing out areials and got grabbed because of it, or missed combo setups (like the one at 2:07 on FD). Your opponent liked to techroll towards you and you only done something about it on the last stock on DL.

ICs hate the dancing blade combos too, especially ones that like to dodge/roll. Grab popo if you can. OMG jab @ 1:50 on Dreamland! Whether on purpose or by accident, it's proof that the move doesn't suck as much as people make it out to. Didn't know about throwing nana at popo's shield is a spacing tool. Might have to use that one.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Good stuff. Yeah, pockyD is aggressive for an IC's player fighting a Marth. To be honest it caught me off guard. but I was more prepared for it the second round.

I usually got hit when I messed up my spacing. But when my spacing was spot on he couldn't do much.

I didn't want to use dancing blade because I feared WD from shield to IC's **** grab combos.

I should have grabbed more honestly. I could have thrown one of them into the other quite a few times but I missed chances to do so.

Top Bottom