• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My friend has lost his Smash spirit.

Blissard

Smash Lord
I know the first step is to find a high or upper mid tier main that i like enough too stick to, but after that idk wat to do.
Hey, it's great that you picked Lucas. If everyone thought like the above quote, MK would spread at triple speed. It'd probably be great to get Lucas help from other pro-Lucas mains, more namely FAE. Besides, a character is (most of the time) only what the player makes it. You can always second someone in case you're unsure of a MU with Lucas, though.

Oh and I like the smiley face at the end of your post. Keep up your Lucas!

Nik21

Smash Cadet
thanks! I've used Lucas since the game's release and i don't plan on stopping any time soon. I just want to find a solid secondary that has more good matchups. Most likely it'll be Diddy, Wario, or Pit, or two of them. Then its off to more training i guess.

Kuja is Awesome

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the long wait, but my friend is finally back into Smash! He doesn't play Brawl anymore, but he will play me in Melee. He's better in Melee than I am, since he can pull of the advanced techniques better than I can. But still, after a few Marth(me)vs Fox matches, his Smash Spirit was revived.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sorry for the long wait, but my friend is finally back into Smash! He doesn't play Brawl anymore, but he will play me in Melee. He's better in Melee than I am, since he can pull of the advanced techniques better than I can. But still, after a few Marth(me)vs Fox matches, his Smash Spirit was revived.
It's like I said at the very beginning:

Play Melee
It really does work.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm gonna laugh so hard if you overtake him in Melee and he quits again.

Also Marth Uthrow CGs Fox to death in Melee AFAIK.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Play Melee
ya know, i can just not get into Melee, i dont know what it is, but that game just doesnt intrest me as much as ssb64..i play brawl occasionally;but i'm a 64smasher at heart.

Kuja is Awesome

Smash Rookie
So after playing some more matches with my friend in Melee, I'm pretty much all back into Melee. I'm now a Fox main, and I'm getting better at doing the advanced techniques. Probably gonna pull an all nighter tonight so I can practice waveshining.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
So after playing some more matches with my friend in Melee, I'm pretty much all back into Melee. I'm now a Fox main, and I'm getting better at doing the advanced techniques. Probably gonna pull an all nighter tonight so I can practice waveshining.
So you both main Fox now? May horribly hilarious dittos commence for the Dark Lord's enjoyment! :ganondorf:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You probably blew it by choosing Snake. Don't Tier F*** friends. Tier F*** d-bags online.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm gonna laugh so hard if you overtake him in Melee and he quits again.

Also Marth Uthrow CGs Fox to death in Melee AFAIK.
Marth only CGs Fox to like 50% (30% if you don't count using utilts to help), abd only if there are no platform above. How misinformed can you get?

Mith8

Smash Cadet
AKA, he can beat you, so he will play.

When you end up beating him in a dozen sets in melee, the same problem will emerge.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Melee is a good call LOL.

But seriously, I know your pain.

Back when I 1st joined smashboards I learned so much, it gave me such an advantage over my friends.

Lots of them got pissed off and quit, I tried to teach them AT's and tell them about the boards but they were having none of it.

Also, pick Sheik against him in melee.

amandak695

Smash Rookie
After finally getting good with Snake, I decided to challenge my friend. I've never won against him as Snake before, but now it was different. I beat him about 7 times in a row. He threw down his controller and yelled, "Snake is such a bull**** character! **** Smash Bros, I quit!" I tried to get him back into Smash, but all he cares about is freaking Rock Band. It sucks since he's my only offline training partner.

He also bashed me for using cheap characters. I told him the disadvantages of the characters I used, but he refused to listen. I also told him to try using different characters, but then he got an a rant about how Brawl sucks because it's unbalanced.

Is there any way for me to revive my friend's Smash spirit?
Thanks you for the post.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
How the heck did I end up in GBD?

Part of the problem with fighting games is that the players who aren't quite as good get discouraged and end up giving up on a game. I'm sure everyone can agree. But sometimes there's a less severe but still important mentality that ends up rearing it's head to many players time and time again, especially casual.

The mentality of a losing streak.

Everyone has a different limit but pretty much everyone DOES indeed have that limit where after so many losses, they just can't muster the will to try or go on. Let's be honest, most human beings are not The Determinator.

Now losing once is no big deal. He can probably shrug it off and keep on truckin' so to speak. But when you run into loss after loss after loss, it begins to build up. Mostly likely, he begins to go into fights expecting everyone to be able to massively whip his *** into paste, and expecting defeat. But as time goes on, the defeats just pile up to the point where he feels helpless and has little choice but to simply stop playing for a while.

Solution for your friend: FIGHT OTHER PEOPLE. If he can't beat you, then that's his problem, and only he can work on improving that. But try getting different people involved. Preferably you want a group of people that you can both play and practice with on a regular basis. All he has to do is learn how to beat one person, and the rest will follow.

Or play Melee.

Top Bottom