• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My favorite class is History......wait what?!

Link to original post: [drupal=2355]My favorite class is History......wait what?![/drupal]

I have a confession to make. I'm HORRIBLE at history. I mean it. I'm absolutely terrible at it. It's pathetic how bad I am at history. I excel in Mathematics, Science, and Art, but NOT history. Well, technically, the name of the class is Western Civilizations, but the point still stands. I'm terrible at history. My knowledge on history is more fail than a 20 minute montage of Failblog clips, and that's serious fail. It's seriously that bad. I FEAR history class. I'm in my first year of college, and all I know about history are tiny tidbits of certain topics. Here is an example of what I would write in an essay about Martin Luther King:

Quote:
Martin Luther King was a civil rights activist.
Right here, I'd be stumped, and would have to look at the encyclopedia to figure out more stuff.

Quote:
Isaac Newton: He has a unit of measurement named after him. An apple fell on his head one time (I think).
STUMPED.

Quote:
Julius Cesar was an emperor.
STUMPED.

Quote:
Alexander the Great was..
STUMPED.

Quote:
Olimpius is a city in which they held the Olympics one time a couple of hundred years ago.
MASSIVELY STUMPED.

This is how good I am with world history. Yet, somehow, this year, it's my favorite class in college. I'm studying Digital Animation in a Graphic Arts school here in Puerto Rico, and out of all my classes (Sociology, Introduction to Computers, Drawing Techniques, and Western Civilizations), somehow, Western Civilizations is my favorite class. Sociology isn't interesting at all, but I have a computer class and a drawing class, two things that I love, and yet, I prefer history.

HOW BAD CAN DRAWING AND COMPUTERS POSSIBLY BE FOR ME TO PREFER HISTORY OVER THEM?!

*pants*

Well.... truth is... they aren't bad at all. I like my drawing class, and I also like my computer class (I hate Sociology though). History, at least in this school, is really good. Something went over me today, and now I love history! I can't get enough of it!

I think it's fascinating how Herodotus, who is the father of history, traveled all of ancient Europe in search of knowledge about culture, religion, science, geography, and politics. For those of you that don't know, that journal is divided into 9 books, each book being named after one of the nine Muses of Greek mythology, and (in spanish) is called Las 9 Encuestas de Heródoto. Everything I've read about it has been very interesting to me, especially the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Did you know that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon is so big, that if you were to gather every stone used, and line them up next to each other in a straight line, the line would circle the word 15 times before ending. Or even better, you'd have enough stone to reach the moon! Isn't that amazing?! By the way, I didn't need any external sources to write that. I actually LEARNED it, and I want to learn more and more and more and MORE!

I don't know what triggered it. I don't understand what erected my history b****. I think it was probably my girlfriend, who is studying to be an anthropologist and/or archaeologist. Or maybe it's just because history is just fascinating in every way.

Did you know that the Colossus of Rhodes fell because of an earthquake? Do you know what the Colossus of Rhodes is? It's really interesting. It's a statue that stood at least 100 or so feet tall (100 or 110, I don't remember exactly) in the island of Rhodes in Greece. No one really knows exactly how it looked like, since it was destroyed completely in an earthquake. Thanks to Herodotus, we know that it was a statue of the Greek god Helios, that is made of pure bronze, and stands atop of two pedestals. It's debatable if he was actually standing on pedestals, or if it was just on the ground. There was a canal between his legs, in which boats less than 100ft in height could pass through. One arm is held up high and has a torch. Actually, this is also debatable since they say that he could've been putting his hand up for a salute. Anyways, if you look at a picture of it, you'll see how truly amazing it is. Fun fact: The Colossus of Rhodes is what inspired the Statue of Liberty. We have a person standing on a pedestal holding a torch up in the air next to the ocean. This is all according to the French sculptor that made it as a gift to the US for their partnership during the American Revolution.

Are you as intrigued as I am?

I don't know WHY I'm so interested in history now. It's so unlike me, since normally, I'm a scrooge in history class, who always gets C's and D's in exams. What used to be a learning nightmare has now become a quest for knowledge. I think I just love the feeling of learning something new, so I can talk to my girlfriend about it. I don't want to learn history to impress my girlfriend, but I think I'm doing it without noticing. I don't know. I want to learn it, and I like it when my girlfriend says she likes that I'm enjoying history. I feel like a sucker for history.

Assuming you're still in school, what's your CURRENT favorite subject and why?

By the way, I did NOT just write this as a distraction for studying for my Sociology exam.

M.K

Level 55
History absolutely blows. A History degree from college allows you to become *gasp* a teacher, to teach more kids about the past, which nobody ACTUALLY cares about in the first place.
I can't understand how anyone can like history. I like inventions, I like studying wars, but I could not care LESS about "the most immediate effect of the Wilmot Proviso which, in fact, never passed through the Senate to become a bill".
If it never passed, WHY THE HELL do I have to know it? What would that knowledge BENEFIT me later in life?
AP U.S. History is terrible, especially when you are being taught by a teacher with a coochie the size of a freaking kangaroo.

tl;dr lolHistory.

I would have to say my favorite subjects are Sciences and English classes.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Umm... you do realise nearly all of the most affluent and successful politicians in the UK's House of Parliament are historians, right?

Also, history IS good because we chronicle all the mistakes humanity has made over the years and we learn not to make them again. We learn from our mistakes, but if we don't know the mistakes of our forefathers, then what's stopping us from making the same mistakes again?

Keeping history alive allows us to advance, as it prevents us from regressing or rather, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Edit: All @ Meta Kirby

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I love History for the first time ever, because my teacher is awesome.

However my favorite class is Art or Chorus.

Because I suck at drawing, and I suck at singing. But both classes are teaching me how.

Well I was gonna say that he who doesn't know the past is bound to repeat it.

Or something like that. Teran said it better, but he never said his favorite subject! :(

M.K

Level 55
Umm... you do realise nearly all of the most affluent and successful politicians in the UK's House of Parliament are historians, right?
I don't have sufficient knowledge of Parliment to argue this claim, but most U.S. politicians have either political science or law degrees. History does play a large role, but like I said, "does it impact me?"
I plan to go into the medical field, so I don't really think History is an important topic for me.

The rest of your post is correct though, I just....hate History >.>'
A very boring class, I must say.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
I personally enjoy History because most history teachers are so full of wisdom and are funny as hell. I found that teachers that use humor are the ones who I learn a lot from, unlike math teachers (eww)

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
History was all right. The quality of education at my high school was subpar in many respects though. History is a tough subject to teach because it harbors the strongest biases.

To answer the question, I didn't have a favorite subject. I hated school.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
My favorite subject is graphic design, because we don't do anything in that class and I already know how to use photoshop...plus my teacher is cool.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I like History, though not really for the whole 'helping society advance' sort of thing. I just generally find it interesting.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't have sufficient knowledge of Parliment to argue this claim, but most U.S. politicians have either political science or law degrees. History does play a large role, but like I said, "does it impact me?"
I plan to go into the medical field, so I don't really think History is an important topic for me.

The rest of your post is correct though, I just....hate History >.>'
A very boring class, I must say.
Most lawyers will have a history degree too. That and English are the number on degrees people have when going to law school.

As for its use? Simple: it allows you to analyze things. If you take a segment of any event, such as Hitler's Holocaust, or anything at all, and analyze it, it will probably make no sense. However, if you look back further and further and further, you'll see what created the zap to ignite this event. Now, let's apply it to science. If you just work in the moment, you will fail. You instead have to look at patient history and analyze what have they done since the last time, what was evident, etc. History is all about analyzing.

I am a HUGE history buff.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I like history and it's one of my best subjects. Really, it is a VERY useful subject. It doesn't seem useful at first, but it is. At least, most of the part.

About me? Let me see...
I'm good at French.
I'm good at German.
I'm good at English.
I'm good at History.
I'm quite good at Dutch.
I'm quite good at Geographic (though it is boring as hell, expect if the subject is about people, but I don't care about the earth itself ;l).
I'm decent at Latin (stupid a$$ subject).
I'm decent at Biology (but it's so boring when they're talking about plants, trees, flower and animals)
I suck at Maths.
I suck at Chemistry.
I suck at Physics.
I suck at Greek.

And that was my whole life story :)

Most lawyers will have a history degree too. That and English are the number on degrees people have when going to law school.

As for its use? Simple: it allows you to analyze things. If you take a segment of any event, such as Hitler's Holocaust, or anything at all, and analyze it, it will probably make no sense. However, if you look back further and further and further, you'll see what created the zap to ignite this event. Now, let's apply it to science. If you just work in the moment, you will fail. You instead have to look at patient history and analyze what have they done since the last time, what was evident, etc. History is all about analyzing.

I am a HUGE history buff.
Is any of the information in my OP incorrect? I'm skimming through it again and now I'm not sure if it was the American Revolution that brought us the Statue of Liberty.

I personally enjoy History because most history teachers are so full of wisdom and are funny as hell. I found that teachers that use humor are the ones who I learn a lot from, unlike math teachers (eww)
That's probably another reason I like my class so much. The teacher is hilarious! The first day, he ranted about how everyone in Puerto Rico parties when a hurricane "passes by" (when I mean pass by, I mean that the hurricane gets close, everyone starts to panic, then the hurricane makes a last minute turn away from us, and we only get small showers of rain).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Is any of the information in my OP incorrect? I'm skimming through it again and now I'm not sure if it was the American Revolution that brought us the Statue of Liberty.
The Statue of Liberty had nothing to do with the American Revolution. It was created in 1886 to celebrate the centennial of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Trick question:
Do you know where the London Bridge is located?

question because I forget:
Didn't the French make us the Statue of Liberty? Or am I totally confused....... and mixing that up with something else.

lmgtfy.com < I should go there. Amirite?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Trick question:
Do you know where the London Bridge is located?
It's located in Arizona, lol. There's a rebuilt version though back in London. We made a healthy profit off the ******* who thought Tower Bridge was London Bridge.

Well it's a bridge! Only one bridge in London, yeah London Bridge!...

>.>

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I prefer political science courses over history.

Both are really fascinating though. :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord

Didn't the French make us the Statue of Liberty? Or am I totally confused....... and mixing that up with something else.
Nah, you're right. They offered it in 1886, and fun fact, the designer of the Eiffel tower took part in the statue's design too :p

Top Bottom