• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Jon Snow would make a lot of sense, but if anything according to datamine Daenerys is planned and I don't recall Jon Snow being mentionned. Not saying that he's not coming, of course he would make a lot of sense but it's to keep in mind.
I just thought we should consider someone who wasn't datamined, and I figure a second GOT character might be feasible regardless.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
While I’m here, I’m going to revamp my top 10 list:

1. Ed, Edd, and Eddy (separate or together) (Ed Edd n Eddy)
2 A Wizard of Oz character
3. Gilligan (Gilligan’s Island)
4. Robotron 2084 hero
5. Starfire (DC Comics)
6. Professor Fate (The Great Race)
7. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
8. Neo (The Matrix)
9. Willy Wonka
10. Austin Powers

Some quick explaning:
Ace Ventura and Kayley (Quest for Camelot) were cut as I never saw their films.

Ruby Rose (RWBY) was cut due to Rooster Teeth shutting down. With everything up in the air, I no longer feel comfortable having Ruby on my list. I still want her to join someday, but now is not the time.
Edit: My heart goes out to those affected by the shutdown. May they find happiness in future endeavors.

Professor Fate, Willy Wonka, and Austin Powers were initially lower, but after consideration, have been moved up.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I've seen people guess the "123" may been a reveal on the 1 2th of this month, which is when the McDonald's promo starts worldwide

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ruby Rose (RWBY) was cut due to Rooster Teeth shutting down. With everything up in the air, I no longer feel comfortable having Ruby on my list. I still want her to join someday, but now is not the time.
Edit: My heart goes out to those affected by the shutdown. May they find happiness in future endeavors.
I mean they still own the character and the franchise, just because the studio is shut down doesn't mean she's less likely. If she was already being worked on I doubt they'd scrap it just because of Zaslav's cut happy bs

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This shtick is kind of getting annoying when we still don't know anything about the games comeback.
Well if anything the official account teasing stuff is already much better than "random artist for the game" teasing stuff or other devs.

But yeah I Do agree that the teasing as been going for way too long. Yesterday post got 35k likes, which is massive, but if they keep teasing with nothing concrete each post is going to gain less and less traction. If I was them I would have used yesterday's hype to give us an actual reveal date or something.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I mean they still own the character and the franchise, just because the studio is shut down doesn't mean she's less likely. If she was already being worked on I doubt they'd scrap it just because of Zaslav's cut happy bs
According to variety they're looking at selling Rwby and Gen lock off

LimeTH

Smash Lord

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I have to say, Multiversus has perhaps the worst marketing I have ever seen for any game. I honestly thought they quietly shelved the game with how radio silent they were before yesterday.

It's almost comical how the first things their twitter account posts are the same "we're cooking bro, trust us" and cryptic bait that people latch desperately onto as hints for any information on the game, considering we know absolutely nothing about the current state of the game. IMO this kind of stuff never bodes well, and the only thing it tells me is that they aren't confident enough to showcase their product in any capacity.

I hate to be the resident doomposter here, but I still honestly expect that if the game releases, it won't look any different then before. We might get Joker and some other characters/stages, but something tells me that what we will end up getting wouldn't be worth the wait.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I have to say, Multiversus has perhaps the worst marketing I have ever seen for any game. I honestly thought they quietly shelved the game with how radio silent they were before yesterday.

It's almost comical how the first things their twitter account posts are the same "we're cooking bro, trust us" and cryptic bait that people latch desperately onto as hints for any information on the game, considering we know absolutely nothing about the current state of the game. IMO this kind of stuff never bodes well, and the only thing it tells me is that they aren't confident enough to showcase their product in any capacity.

I hate to be the resident doomposter here, but I still honestly expect that if the game releases, it won't look any different then before. We might get Joker and some other characters/stages, but something tells me that what we will end up getting wouldn't be worth the wait.
Don't get me wrong, I get pretty impatient with doomposting, I call it out whenever I see it on the NASB thread, but man, I cannot blame anyone for thinking this game is in dire straits.

The MVS devs and marketing team need to knock it off with the cryptic bull**** engagement bait that builds up to nothing and actually be transparent for once. I guarantee the reply darkvortex darkvortex posted is another bait post that will have everyone speculating only for it to amount to nothing again. It's maddening that they're stating this sort of thing up again, because it's only going to work so many more times.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong, I get pretty impatient with doomposting, I call it out whenever I see it on the NASB thread, but man, I cannot blame anyone for thinking this game is in dire straits.

The MVS devs and marketing team need to knock it off with the cryptic bull**** engagement bait that builds up to nothing and actually be transparent for once. I guarantee the reply darkvortex darkvortex posted is another bait post that will have everyone speculating only for it to amount to nothing again. It's maddening that they're stating this sort of thing up again, because it's only going to work so many more times.
Yeah, I 100% agree.

I feel like the best-case scenario is they're trying to artificially build up that Smash bros-level hype by being cryptic as hell and holding their cards close to their chest. But it's just leading to a "boy who cried wolf" situation when they keep baiting people with breadcrumbs that may or may not be linked to certain potential announcement dates, but no actual substance.

Worst-case scenario, they actually have nothing to show for their year-long absence and they're trying to engage the community in any way that doesn't involve showing off their unfinished product while they scramble to make something worth showing.

In any case, Multiversus marketing is shaping up to be a good case study on how important developer transparency actually is.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm glad we finally have a date and time for when to expect news. I'm really hoping the extra year of development yields some good results.

For the fun of it, I decided to do a little newcomer thing for fun. On the left side, there are the six leaked characters I'm most hoping to see on Monday. On the right side are the six characters I want the most that haven't been leaked to any degree, so they're just hopefuls for me.

myroster (3).png

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I'm glad we finally have a date and time for when to expect news. I'm really hoping the extra year of development yields some good results.

For the fun of it, I decided to do a little newcomer thing for fun. On the left side, there are the six leaked characters I'm most hoping to see on Monday. On the right side are the six characters I want the most that haven't been leaked to any degree, so they're just hopefuls for me.

Who's the girl on the bottom middle right?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I never thought about a Hairspray rep of all thing, but I would be so down for it, I always thought that dancing based character is a natural fit for a fighting game. I also think that this game really need some crazier pick. This is why I was so excited for Gizmo and Stripe announcement, Gremlins, while I wouldn't say it's niche, is definitely not on top of WB franchise, and it's cool to see them having representation. Imo some of the most exciting characters that leaked are The Goonies rep and Ted Lasso for this reason.

I think it's get so tiresome to always see the same few characters being requested when you see how huge WB library is. I get it, some characters are popular for reason and there's a lot of popular request that I want to see too like Animaniacs, Samurai Jack, Mordecai, Ben 10, but WB is so much more than Cartoon Network. This is why, and no offense to her fans, I actually hope we don't see Marceline in the game, or at least not THAT early in the game life. I want to see more "out there" pick, not just more of the same franchise like Adventure time and Steven Universe.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I never thought about a Hairspray rep of all thing, but I would be so down for it, I always thought that dancing based character is a natural fit for a fighting game. I also think that this game really need some crazier pick. This is why I was so excited for Gizmo and Stripe announcement, Gremlins, while I wouldn't say it's niche, is definitely not on top of WB franchise, and it's cool to see them having representation. Imo some of the most exciting characters that leaked are The Goonies rep and Ted Lasso for this reason.

I think it's get so tiresome to always see the same few characters being requested when you see how huge WB library is. I get it, some characters are popular for reason and there's a lot of popular request that I want to see too like Animaniacs, Samurai Jack, Mordecai, Ben 10, but WB is so much more than Cartoon Network. This is why, and no offense to her fans, I actually hope we don't see Marceline in the game, or at least not THAT early in the game life. I want to see more "out there" pick, not just more of the same franchise like Adventure time and Steven Universe.
It's funny too because, at least in my opinion, characters from movie musicals are some of the easiest to adapt to something like a platform fighter (besides the obvious case of, like, action movies) as far as live action characters are concerned, and the WB has no shortage of those available to pull from.

A good movie musical really does have, by sheer coincidence, pretty much all of the facets needed for a crossover platform fighter. Good costuming leads to strong and memorable character designs. Good choreography and prop work leads to natural moveset potential. Set design and stage design literally go hand in hand. The genre is literally known for music, so inspiration for stage songs already exists. And musicals usually have dedicated pre-installed fanbases of hype-men ready to go.

So it really is a shame that despite Warner Bros owning the rights to tons of great movie musicals like Hairspray, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz, The Music Man, Little Shop of Horrors, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and even The Year Without a Santa Claus, a lot of them rarely, if ever, get brought up in the context of Multiversus. But in my eyes, at least, they make up a huge amount of the most fun possible additions.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
My most wanted is still a LEGO Movie rep (either Emmet or Unikitty) but I’m not sure how likely that is anymore, given that I think Universal has the rights to make LEGO movies now? Does WB have rights (shared with The LEGO Group of course) to the characters from the currently existing LEGO movies though?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So what are the expectations for tomorrow announcement? I'm expecting 2 or 3 characters reveal, with at least one of them being a "top 10" request (like Daffy Duck or Samurai Jack). I'm expecting also a release date and at this point I think the game will release sooner rather than later. I think at the latest we will have to wait for early April, but I could see the game dropping as early as next week. Aside from that they're probably going to show a bit of the new battle pass with new skins and I hope they give us a clear roadmap of when characters will drop in the future (every month?), because a clear roadmap was really something missing from the beta days. I'm also expecting way more maps (maybe 4-5 new stages) because that was one of the big criticism of the beta.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
My most wanted is still a LEGO Movie rep (either Emmet or Unikitty) but I’m not sure how likely that is anymore, given that I think Universal has the rights to make LEGO movies now? Does WB have rights (shared with The LEGO Group of course) to the characters from the currently existing LEGO movies though?
The characters from the original Lego Movies are owned by WB still yes

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So what are the expectations for tomorrow announcement? I'm expecting 2 or 3 characters reveal, with at least one of them being a "top 10" request (like Daffy Duck or Samurai Jack). I'm expecting also a release date and at this point I think the game will release sooner rather than later. I think at the latest we will have to wait for early April, but I could see the game dropping as early as next week. Aside from that they're probably going to show a bit of the new battle pass with new skins and I hope they give us a clear roadmap of when characters will drop in the future (every month?), because a clear roadmap was really something missing from the beta days. I'm also expecting way more maps (maybe 4-5 new stages) because that was one of the big criticism of the beta.
In terms of characters specifically, I think the number of new characters they’ll reveal in the announcement depends on how far out the release is. If it’s next week (or the unlikely but not impossible “it releases LATER TODAY!”,) they’ll probably reveal all the characters that are new at once, but, if it’s late March or early April, I can see them holding out on a reveal or two in order to drum up more hype on the way to release.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I really hope we get another big CGI trailer like the “Your With Me” close to launch
This made me so nostalgic for some reason despite not being that old.

Also, now that I think about it, I kind of hate the fact that Shaggy's moveset is based on a dead meme (which imo was never funny to begin with). I get that he was meant to be the basic character of the game like Mario is to Smash, but I feel like this role would actually fit Bugs Bunny better for example and they could gave Shaggy a moveset based on actual thing he do in Scooby Doo. Oh well, at least Velma fits this role so I guess it ain't that bad.

And you know now that I think of Shaggy, I actually hope that something they've been reworking gameplay wise is how most moves in this game was barely punishable. I rememeber you could just dodge almost instantly after most moves, which make characters like Shaggy who have armor on top of that super annoying to fight, and also character who had disjointed like Jake and Arya Stark.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One change I’d like to see is a bigger and more satisfying reward for piercing an armored move with an armor breaker attack, since your only reward currently for risking it is getting a regular hit in.

I’d make it so the hit deals a whole lot of extra hitstun, along with making the opponent pause in the air and shake briefly at the end of being launched, visually similar to the paralyzed status in Smash. So, you get a guaranteed combo opportunity at low damage, or a better edgeguard opportunity if the opponent was at high enough damage for the hit to launch offstage. Plus it looks and sounds more satisfying.

Top Bottom