• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Gane page on Steam and Xbox was updated to show the new artwork.

Also another tidbit from the FAQ:

Certain progression based awards have changed between beta and release. More details will be shared on that in the future.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
What a wet fart of a return announcement. Not a single character tease? Concept art of stages? Promises of new moves? They better not be replacing moves, these movesets are small enough already. They should be adding onto the amount, not replacing entirely unless the move is problematic.

Premium currency earnable in game? Woop di doo, the bare ****in minimum.

The prospect of Dexter and the PPG is exciting but I don't have faith they're anywhere near ready.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
What a wet fart of a return announcement. Not a single character tease? Concept art of stages? Promises of new moves? They better not be replacing moves, these movesets are small enough already. They should be adding onto the amount, not replacing entirely unless the move is problematic.

The prospect of Dexter and the PPG is exciting but I don't have faith they're anywhere near ready.
Someone's pretty upset

Oracle Link

Smash Master
"Wow Pesto, I can't believe you're in Multiversus."

"...Whaddaya mean by that?"

"You know, you're in Multiversus!"

"I'm in Multiversus? Are you sayin' I'm part of an overused storytellin' trope used by Hollywood in their superhero films? Are you sayin' I'm a result of the corporate suits bankin' on nostalgia to make a quick buck because they're afraid'a actually makin' somethin' new? Is that what you're sayin'?!"

"No, no! I'm just sayin' you're a fighter in Multiversus now!"

"I'm in Multiversus?"

"Yeah!"

"THAT'S IT!"
Hey dont say anything against muliverses Because potentially someone made a multiverse story just to not make the self insert character the only main Hero!
And perhaps that same story doesnt use it to bring dead characters back or have tons of cheap cameos!
IM JUST SAYING!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I was expecting they'd have something for the CSS starers so that's kind of a miss there for generating better conversation around the game but the netcode, more moves, engine change and other under the hood and system alterations sound fine enough on paper and hopefully work out in execution and we don't get a DBFZ tier hack job on the netcode thank you Scamco.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If it weren't for this thread I honestly would have forgotten that the game even exists. I did enjoy the beta well enough so I am looking forward to seeing what the game is like now. Still it is a bit disappointing that this was basically the tired old announcement of an announcement sort of deal.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I agree that they showed way too little. The stage teases are cool but it's right to point out there's no guarantee those stages are actually going to come with a character. And not showing, teasing or hinting at even a single new character is pretty boneheaded because lets be real here, what do people care most about in crossover fighting games?

It wasn't awful but it was pretty underwhelming.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey dont say anything against muliverses Because potentially someone made a multiverse story just to not make the self insert character the only main Hero!
And perhaps that same story doesnt use it to bring dead characters back or have tons of cheap cameos!
IM JUST SAYING!
The reference you're missing is older than you are.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

My theory is that everyone is getting a new dash attack so the new move won't replace an older moves (Morty new attack definitely looks like a dash). But yeah I agree that this was a pretty underwhelming comeback all things consider.

I agree that they showed way too little. The stage teases are cool but it's right to point out there's no guarantee those stages are actually going to come with a character. And not showing, teasing or hinting at even a single new character is pretty boneheaded because lets be real here, what do people care most about in crossover fighting games?

It wasn't awful but it was pretty underwhelming.
Honestly you're not wrong, but let's be real they would have to be pretty brain dead to tease stages based on two of the most requested franchise and not add characters with them. At worst maybe Dexter won't come at relaunch day, but he will most likely come eventually. As for PPG we already knew from datamine that they were most likely coming at relaunch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 386299
leak that had Dexter and PPG, probably nothing but
In absolute fairness, we knew about the Powerpuff Girls from the final beta datamine already.

This also seems to be basing itself a lot on the Papa Genos rumor, which had an unknown third CN character included alongside PPG and Mordecai. Dexter and Courage were among the most guessed for that.

So this doesn't really seem like anything imo. It's mostly just reiterating the PapaGenos rumor.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I hope this game doesn't turn into Punch Time Explosion 2. Hot take, I know (especially on the subreddits and the discord server), but Warner is such a big company with a collosal pool of options. Hyper-focusing on one aspect of the company, which they seem to be doing, is a bit dissapointing.
If they were going to go that route they might as well just make Punch Time Explosion 2 instead of reviving MultiVersus.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I just saw the dev update and have thoughts on it. I came in with pretty low expectations, so the actual presentation was middle-of-the-road for what I was expecting:

Pros:
  • I can definitely see the upside of switching engines. It at least shows that they're trying to give the game longevity.
  • I like how a few characters now have reworked movesets, some of the moves in the beta weren't that good or very unbalanced, so taking the time to rework movesets is always a good thing.
  • We FINALLY get a hard release date! Granted it's at the very end of what can be considered "early 2024," but a release date is still a release date.
Cons:
  • I don't like how all in-game footage was of assets that were already in the beta (sans attack reworks and concept art). Would have liked to see at least something new shown in the actual game to show that they've been working on new content. At this point, these devs saying "we're working on stuff" doesn't really cut it for me, considering that's the only thing they've been saying since before the beta shut down and they went radio silent for over a year. I'm not asking for 10 new characters or anything like that, but even a small in-game teaser for a new character would have made a difference to me.
  • I'm skeptical about their comments on netcode. They had almost the same talking points about seamless netcode when advertising the beta and it was pretty bad on release back then, so as far as I'm concerned, that's something that needs to be shown, not told at this point.
While I do appreciate them showing a hard deadline for release, the announcement was barebones to me and wasn't really worth the hype that it was building with their community twitter imo. I saw a comment comparing the video to "a 9AM meeting that could've been an email" and I agree with that sentiment.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I hope this game doesn't turn into Punch Time Explosion 2. Hot take, I know (especially on the subreddits and the discord server), but Warner is such a big company with a collosal pool of options. Hyper-focusing on one aspect of the company, which they seem to be doing, is a bit dissapointing.
If they were going to go that route they might as well just make Punch Time Explosion 2 instead of reviving MultiVersus.
I still don't understand this sentiment. Cartoon Network is still pretty underutilized in the roster as it stands, two more CN specific characters isn't going to turn the game into Punch Time Explosion 2. I don't see anyone leveling the same accusation at the scads of DC characters both in the current roster and the leaks turning this into Injustice 3.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I still don't understand this sentiment. Cartoon Network is still pretty underutilized in the roster as it stands, two more CN specific characters isn't going to turn the game into Punch Time Explosion 2. I don't see anyone leveling the same accusation at the scads of DC characters both in the current roster and the leaks turning this into Injustice 3.
On the CN side, we already have 3 shows represented (Adventure time, Steven Universe and Rick and Morty), 2 more confirmed (Powerpuff girls and Dexter lab), and we know from leaks that 4 more are coming: Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Ben 10 and Craig of the creek. So that's a total of 9 different shows, and we also know on top of that that Marceline is coming from Adventure time.. So honestly, while I agree that people saying that the game is becoming "punch time explosion 2" are exagerating, I think CN is far from underutilzed, we already have a lot of their most iconic shows. I'm not saying that everything is there, of course Courage is missing, Regular show, the Eds etc. but it's still a very solid basis.

On the DC side, we do have around the same amount of characters: 5 characters on the roster and a few leaks: Joker, Poison Ivy, Raven and Static. But a lot of their most iconic heroes haven't leaked or been datamine: No Flash, no Green Lantern, no Aqua Man. Maybe I'm biased because I love DC, but I actually think that DC is the one being underutilised there. Even the vilains, they all come from the Batman verse. No Lex Luthor, no Darkseid, no Brainiac.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
plans change
I know, but if work has started on the datamine characters, there's really no reason to scrap them entirely. This isn't like Smash bros where they have a set time to complete characters and dlc, the game is meant to be played and supported for as long as people are playing it. So even if they changed the order of a few characters, they'll most likely come back to them eventually.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know, but if work has started on the datamine characters, there's really no reason to scrap them entirely. This isn't like Smash bros where they have a set time to complete characters and dlc, the game is meant to be played and supported for as long as people are playing it. So even if they changed the order of a few characters, they'll most likely come back to them eventually.
yes but even games like that can change their plans. with orders from above or deciding to listen to fans requests etc

darkvortex

Smash Lord
ben 10 doesn't have many leaks actually. The only things we have is Tony saying they want to do him and Papagenos saying the team wants to but they want t o take their time, since doing him right will basicly mean making multiple characters. he'll happen but it'll be a while.

detained

Friends456

Smash Rookie
Now that the game is coming out on May 28th

I hope Phoebe Buffay comes to the game as a Playable Fighter at some point

LimeTH

Smash Lord
i think those two towers look fairly different from each other. looks like it just a generic one
The shape of the top of the tower having that upside down arch around the diamond shaped thing floating above it with a base underneath it leads me to believe it's meant to be a stylized Eye of Sauron. There's even a slope on the bottom, which to be fair is on opposite viewpoint sides in each pic.

I don't know why it would be a generic tower when everything in this game has been from something.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The tower was always there on the Trophy edge stages, but his design was later changed so it doesn't look like Barad-dûr anymore.

1710297423577.png

Left is pre-season 1, middle is season 1 and right is season 2.

I'm unsure why they went back with Barad-dûr on the Steam image. Pessimistic me wants to think that it's just a mistake and they used the old version of Trophy edge for some reason. But at this point who knows with Lotr, the rights are so messy and with the state of Embracer group today maybe it wouldn't be that hard for WB to deal with them again to put back contents from the universe in the game? If anything there's still a Lotr movie coming this year by WB so who knows.

Mr Hairyman

Smash Cadet
I could be wrong, but I thought PapaGenos said back in his long leak video that PFG were going to try and negotiate to get the rights back again.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I can definitely see why people would be on the side of pessimism with LOTR content. A majority of the leaks I've seen in the game's heyday said that rights negotiations were a mess behind the scenes.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The shape of the top of the tower having that upside down arch around the diamond shaped thing floating above it with a base underneath it leads me to believe it's meant to be a stylized Eye of Sauron. There's even a slope on the bottom, which to be fair is on opposite viewpoint sides in each pic.

I don't know why it would be a generic tower when everything in this game has been from something.
i think you forgot about a certain green dog

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Don’t remember
Reindog’s world is original and was one of the first to fall to the Nothing. It’s in his character bio on the website.

Unrelated: Japan news site Automaton has confirmed the game will come to Japan. Previously, the game had no presence in the region.

Top Bottom