• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It honestly speaks volumes of DC's quality that I went from not caring for any of it to wanting numerous characters from it after Multiversus convinced me to give it a chance. And I only watched a few animated movies. No wonder this franchise has generational pop culture dominance, DC deserves so many characters. I invite Aquaman, Blue Beetle, Zatanna, Darkseid, and countless others to shine in this game.
If you haven't given them a chance, the DCAU (AKA Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited), the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon, and My Adventures with Superman are all peak content.

The Batman and Batman: The Brave and the Bold are both also pretty good, though I wouldn't say they are as good as the aforementioned shows.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
I think there's a couple of vaild points here

On one hand I do dislike when people refuse any characters not a popular main pick. if that's how rosters where decided we'd never have Ness or Falcon. I think sprinkling in some lesser known characters is good as it makes fans of those characters. I also understand this is a GAAS game and every character spot is sacred to fans due to the nature of the game. I think anyone has a right to be disappointed in a pick but I think saying its a "bad" pick is not the way to go

should have been Yara Flor though

If you haven't given them a chance, the DCAU (AKA Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited), the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon, and My Adventures with Superman are all peak content.

The Batman and Batman: The Brave and the Bold are both also pretty good, though I wouldn't say they are as good as the aforementioned shows.
I watched a lot of the DCAU actually, it's what convinced me that DC was peak. Also Teen Titans a while back but I always left it as an isolated thing instead of using it to judge DC since it's more of a solo distinct thing that doesn't represent how the DC franchise is like at all. I didn't wanna be one of the many infamous TT fans that tried to speak on DC and its content while sounding incredibly ignorant.

I think there's a couple of vaild points here

On one hand I do dislike when people refuse any characters not a popular main pick. if that's how rosters where decided we'd never have Ness or Falcon. I think sprinkling in some lesser known characters is good as it makes fans of those characters. I also understand this is a GAAS game and every character spot is sacred to fans due to the nature of the game. I think anyone has a right to be disappointed in a pick but I think saying its a "bad" pick is not the way to go

should have been Yara Flor though
I'm fine with every choice in the roster. I'm even one of the few that tolerate Black Adam after I became DC-pilled. BA would've been a fun deep cut pick if Shazam/Captain was in the game + he wasn't shoehorned for The Rock's ego. Nubia's cool too, I just have issues with her being implemented in a 2 char season.

...except Banana Guard. Banana Guard crossed a line I didn't think I'd have with the roster. Even that dumb Mario plant came in after, what? 80 characters in Smash?

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Schizo rambling about datamines

So who remains in the files then? Well the list goes like this:
  • Wicked Witch CO22
  • Raven C025
  • Aquaman C029
  • Marceline C031
  • Ruby Rose C033
  • Mr. Meeseeks C040
Then the outliers being Pickle Rick (CO20B) Gandalf ("crows") and Daffy Duck (seasons) And 4 slots we have no idea who they are.

So far, Season 2 and 3 featured characters that had leaked voicelines since the relaunch. The remaining characters that have that are Witch, Raven, Aquaman and Pickle Rick. This doesn't mean they are next but do keep the pattern in line for the future. To be honest, of the 4 i only see Raven as a strong BP character and the other 3 are less so (personal opinion btw)

So what's next? Honestly the teasing from AJAX and Nakat are not super helpful because i see no Raven in this season! Does that mean she's Season 4? Maybe, PPG were hinted in Joker's trailer and that was months ago. Anyway, here's the potential candidates for the 4 unknown C0 slot (C032-C037-C038-C039), I'm going to divide them into 2 camps

Future proofed, voicelines that mention them as a fighter, not a namedrop: Poison Ivy, Daenerys

Teased by PFG or circumstancial evidence: Dexter, Animaniacs, Pennywise, Freddy Krueger, a detective guy (Question? Roscharch?)

Thank you for coming to my MVS ted talk

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I don't have an issue with Banana Guard on paper.
the generally uninspired moveset and annoying "trying to start a meme" vibes I get from the marketing was the issue with me. If Nubia's moveset looks fun and isn't presented annoyingly I'm all for it.

Schizo rambling about datamines

So who remains in the files then? Well the list goes like this:
  • Wicked Witch CO22
  • Raven C025
  • Aquaman C029
  • Marceline C031
  • Ruby Rose C033
  • Mr. Meeseeks C040
Then the outliers being Pickle Rick (CO20B) Gandalf ("crows") and Daffy Duck (seasons) And 4 slots we have no idea who they are.

So far, Season 2 and 3 featured characters that had leaked voicelines since the relaunch. The remaining characters that have that are Witch, Raven, Aquaman and Pickle Rick. This doesn't mean they are next but do keep the pattern in line for the future. To be honest, of the 4 i only see Raven as a strong BP character and the other 3 are less so (personal opinion btw)

So what's next? Honestly the teasing from AJAX and Nakat are not super helpful because i see no Raven in this season! Does that mean she's Season 4? Maybe, PPG were hinted in Joker's trailer and that was months ago. Anyway, here's the potential candidates for the 4 unknown C0 slot (C032-C037-C038-C039), I'm going to divide them into 2 camps

Future proofed, voicelines that mention them as a fighter, not a namedrop: Poison Ivy, Daenerys

Teased by PFG or circumstancial evidence: Dexter, Animaniacs, Pennywise, Freddy Krueger, a detective guy (Question? Roscharch?)

Thank you for coming to my MVS ted talk
PFG will have to go down for the worst marketing of all time for actively teasing Raven in ways they never did with anyone else and then they refuse to feature her in S3.

I don't have an issue with Banana Guard on paper.
the generally uninspired moveset and annoying "trying to start a meme" vibes I get from the marketing was the issue with me. If Nubia's moveset looks fun and isn't presented annoyingly I'm all for it.
I went from mildly discontented to sick of Banana Guard.

-Generic background character
-Didn't get a moveset that properly leaned into Banana Guards being stocky do-nothing character in the actual show
-The dialogue being the worst MVS has ever gotten (repeats the issue of the writers not understanding AT while making BG shockingly unfunny and outright annoying). No hints of the original BG character in his script down to making ****ty banana quips, he's completely out of character. This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
-PFG trying sooo hard to make him a thing down to sending bananas around and making him prominent in trailers.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think Banana Guard is cute and I like playing as him, even despite how simple his moveset is.

I do think it isn’t really possible for any fighting game character design to be funny long term, since anything any fighting game character does is going to be repeated endlessly. Humor in a moveset comes more so from unexpected moment to moment interactions than any aspect of character design or animations. There’s a reason a character like Hero in Smash can be considered funny despite not being designed to be humorous otherwise, since a lot of unexpected things can happen when he’s present.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Seems as though Freddy Kreuger is the new thing for people to be hyping about:

For context: Thalion is a WB Games community manager. He posted an image of himself from the video we got on Tuesday (see the spoiler)
IMG_7862.jpeg

Someone noticed the shirt he’s wearing has a notable claw in it. Thalion replied with the eye emoji as seen above. Edit: Just realized I linked the wrong tweet. The reply can still be seen by scrolling down.

Having never seen Nightmare on Elm Street, what are some things Freddy can do? Besides his claw hand that is.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I went from mildly discontented to sick of Banana Guard.

-Generic background character
-Didn't get a moveset that properly leaned into Banana Guards being stocky do-nothing character in the actual show
-The dialogue being the worst MVS has ever gotten (repeats the issue of the writers not understanding AT while making BG shockingly unfunny and outright annoying). No hints of the original BG character in his script down to making ****ty banana quips, he's completely out of character. This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
-PFG trying sooo hard to make him a thing down to sending bananas around and making him prominent in trailers.
I protest the first one. The Banana Guards actually got a fair amount of spotlight episodes devoted to them.

I agree with literally everything else. The Banana Guards are some of the funniest characters in AT and the MVS version of them doesn't match up with that at all.
It's crazy because despite everything, I actually enjoy how Finn and Jake are written. There's even some stuff you'd have to be at least a fan to know to include, like Finn having ship tease lines with Velma, since in the show, Finn has a thing for nerdy girls.
They feel like themselves. BG doesn't.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Nubia is a choice that doesn't excite me, but I'm not going to get angry about it. I can vibe with lesser known characters, though I think it's weird to use lesser known characters from DC.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

For context: Thalion is a WB Games community manager. He posted an image of himself from the video we got on Tuesday (see the spoiler)

Someone noticed the shirt he’s wearing has a notable claw in it. Thalion replied with the eye emoji as seen above. Edit: Just realized I linked the wrong tweet. The reply can still be seen by scrolling down.

Having never seen Nightmare on Elm Street, what are some things Freddy can do? Besides his claw hand that is.
I mean the claw isnt even the most notavle thing here. He's wearing a red and black striped shirt, which is kinda Freddy's whole fashion sense outside of hat choice

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
His main thing is that he invade people's dreams and manipulate them to kill them in the dream world. He's pretty much invulnerable in the dream world, but to be honest I'm not really sure how they can really implement this idea in a moveset. My guess is that he might just be a regular bruiser with his claws and have a few more unique specials, which would be fine with me. My main hope with Freddy is that they get Robert Englund to voiced him and he could get sick interaction with others, like how he would try to talk about each characters fears and nightmares.

ivanlerma

Smash Master
The PPG have the excuse of there being three of them and that they're often portrayed as a unit as much as they are individuals.

They aren't going to put Mordecai and Rigby in one slot when Finn and Jake aren't and Rick and Morty aren't. They're going to want two friends playing co-op to play as Mordecai and Rigby together.
ya, but i'm just saying because i still think mordecai & rigby work better as a duo, they've got a lot of stuff they can do that may not even be utilize to them separately(the power, the power glove, maybe even a kart) without each other's help, plus some moveset ideas don't look that impressive to me.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

He can maniplate reality in the dream world, for one. His primary weapon is his clawed glove, though he has shown some forms of pyrokinesis (makes sense as he died in a fire) but he'd likely be a trapper as far as playstyle goes.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Maybe Freddy would have some move that puts the opponent to sleep, which then temporarily gives him very powerful abilities to use against that opponent. Darkrai in Pokken Tournament has a similar concept with its nightmare state.

I wonder how this works in doubles, though. Would Freddy and that opponent become temporarily isolated from their teammates? (That’d be similar to Cordelius in Brawl Stars being able to force enemies to 1v1 him by dragging himself and them into an alternate reality version of the map.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Didnt a sleep mechanic leak during the beta?
Yes. IIRC it was tied to the character slot that's associated with the Wicked Witch. And that makes total sense, considering the poppies.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Another useless pattern i noticed.

Season 1 ended on a bruiser and season 2 started with a bruiser

Season 2 ended with an assassin and season 3 is starting with an assassin

So Nubia is a mage that's gonna lead us into Season 4 raven mage :4pacman:

For real, i expect Nubia to be either tank or Bruiser. Of the datamined character, only Aquaman sounds like could be a Tank

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice can make perfect little girls apparently.

But if you add Chemical X to the concoction, you get three super heroes!

Want to learn how they play in Multiversus? Next Into the Verse stream is 1pm ET Monday.

Faso115

Smash Lord
You know, i keep hearing "dead game" this and "dead game" that but it hasn't really impacted my online matches at all. I get games fairly fast.

You know what i think is truly dead MVS wise? Content creation, it's not really a game you can make content that's very engaging, which is why doomposting is so prevalent on youtube cause that's like the only thing that can get you views on MVS

Btw, i don't the game's dying anytime soon. Its doing far better than i anticipated actually

LimeTH

Smash Lord
You know, i keep hearing "dead game" this and "dead game" that but it hasn't really impacted my online matches at all. I get games fairly fast.

You know what i think is truly dead MVS wise? Content creation, it's not really a game you can make content that's very engaging, which is why doomposting is so prevalent on youtube cause that's like the only thing that can get you views on MVS

Btw, i don't the game's dying anytime soon. Its doing far better than i anticipated actually
I'm fairly certain almost none of those people actually play. Or have played.

Streaming's the only viable source of content creation for MVS kinda. And even then, a lot of streamers aren't bothering to archive their vods. A similar issue for the beta to the point all that remains is recorded content of people playing Pre-Season, Season 1 and not much else. I had to devote effort in downloading and uploading relaunch VODS myself.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Here’s a teaser at some special moves for the Powerpuff Girls.

cachedImage.jpg

It seems some moves will change who the leader is, with certain attacks changing attributes depending on who is in the lead.

Edit: I misread two of the specials. Basically, they’re Pokémon Trainer.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I wonder if they let you choose who you start with. I'll assume that by default you always start with Blossom.

View attachment 394280
It seems some moves will change who the leader is, with certain attacks changing attributes depending on who is in the lead.

Seeing that they change attacks depending on who leads the group makes me happy. If they are three kids in an invisible trenchcoat, at least there's some differences between the three.

ivanlerma

Smash Master
This may be off topic but a voice actor online did another video with his cartoon network impressions and it's pretty good.

Just go watch it on youtube, the links aren't working.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord

View attachment 394280

I hope they figured out an unobtrusive way of switching characters that doesn't take up a whole move slot. That's one frustration I have with characters like this.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Keeping track of which girl is the leader sounds challenging, but it gives you more options to customize your play style, so I’m excited to try it out!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

View attachment 394280

I think that it's actually gonna be more like Ice Climbers, except you can actually change who the leader is mid-battle.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think that it's actually gonna be more like Ice Climbers, except you can actually change who the leader is mid-battle.
I think it’s going to be most like CatDog in NASB1. Most of their attacks are the same regardless of who the leader is, except that their models are swapped places in the animation, but then they also have a few attacks that are exclusive based on the leader.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I hope they figured out an unobtrusive way of switching characters that doesn't take up a whole move slot. That's one frustration I have with characters like this.
With how few moves characters have to begin with, I don't see what they can really do about that. Either they map it to an input or they swap via certain conditions rather than being a manual change.

I think the best compromise you're going to get is a move that swaps the order while doubling as an actual attack. It doesn't necessarily have to be a special move either but otherwise unless they're mapping it to taunt or something there aren't many options.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh god, I just realized that if it's tied to a move, that means they either can't switch in the air, or an entire eighth of their moveset is dedicated to the swapping move lol.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I wonder if that trio-spinning move that they used against the Rowdyruff Boys in the trailer that looks like a neutral air is actually the one that makes them switch. That’d definitely result in players switching frequently. It doesn’t sound like it, based on the description on the card, though.

If switching does take up a special move input, the PPG still have more specials than some other characters since they have three very completely different versions of “…And everything nice!” .

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I don't have a problem with swapping moves in Smash. After all, Pokemon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra still have more special moves than the other characters, when you put it all together. But it is weirder in Multiversus, where characters have less moves, and the PPG don't have their own individual movesets.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Useless pattern i detected #2

Going by the internal numbers, all fighters that have been BP exclusive come after the character they are bundled with.

So Jack is C026 and Beetlejuice C024. Same goes for PPG being C030 and Nubia C027.

Jason kinda disproves the pattern if u consider Smith (C035 and C036) but we can assume this "infallible" pattern started in season 2

So, does it mean anything? I hope not, that would mean that with the current line-up, Wicked Witch will never headline a battle pass.

Actually, of the remaining datamined characters, who would be a really good BP headliner? Personally i think Raven is like the one strong candidate, maybe Marceline

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Going by the internal numbers, all fighters that have been BP exclusive come after the character they are bundled with.

So Jack is C026 and Beetlejuice C024. Same goes for PPG being C030 and Nubia C027.

Jason kinda disproves the pattern if u consider Smith (C035 and C036) but we can assume this "infallible" pattern started in season 2

So, does it mean anything? I hope not, that would mean that with the current line-up, Wicked Witch will never headline a battle pass.

Actually, of the remaining datamined characters, who would be a really good BP headliner? Personally i think Raven is like the one strong candidate, maybe Marceline
Personally I'm banking on Raven and Marceline being Battlepass characters, and Wicked Witch and Aquaman being mid-season characters. Marceline especially makes sense as one because she has several costumes that could work as the legendary battlepass skin.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Personally I'm banking on Raven and Marceline being Battlepass characters, and Wicked Witch and Aquaman being mid-season characters. Marceline especially makes sense as one because she has several costumes that could work as the legendary battlepass skin.
Personally I think Wicked Witch as the headliner and Marceline as the mid season makes a good amount of sense. As much as I love and want Marceline I dunno if she’s headliner material the same way characters like Joker/Jason, Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls are.

Top Bottom