• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr.X: Ask and You Shall Receive~~

oiMrXio

Smash Cadet
Hello Olimar Boards!

I am Mr.X (yes, the same Mr.X that played with Gazelle a couple times last week =P). I've been lurking around these boards honestly since a little before Brawl came out.

Originally, I wasn't planning on ever posting anything on this board becuase I believed that I had attained a lot of knowledge of Olimar and his matchups on my own through lots of practice online. Also, I have started to compete in Brawl tourneys and have done very well, and I've felt that if I gave away any of my strategies that I've been using to get an edge on people, I'd be hurting myself further down in my tournament career.

However, from watching these boards, I've found that this community has been relatively humble and very helpful at discovering anything that can truly be useful for Olimar, and I've learned a few tidbits from reading people's posts here. Plus, inevitably anything that I could discover on my own will be found out eventually as Brawl's metagame evolves anyways, so I figure, why not share anything I have learned with the players here?

I believe that Olimar can use all the help he can get as it is, becuase he really does have a HUGE metagame with his pikmin all having different attributes. Plus, like I said before, the people of this board from what i've seen are very kind and genuinely helpful.

So, here's how the thread works. Post any question that you have here about ANYTHING Olimar-related and I'll answer. I have a deep knowledge of almost all matchups pertaining to him, plus I also main almost all of the other top-tier and other characters that give our small little spacey friend trouble (I also main Meta-Knight, Snake, Rob, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Sonic, and Pit).

I'll try to answer them as soon as I can.

- Mr.X

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah, another pit user. go to kown's thread in the pit subthread to introduce yourself there if you want to. btw welcome to the boards.

Edit: hey, mind critiquing me in my new video thread eh?

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Hey-o Mr.X! Thanks for posting, I know my Olimar has gotten alot better from watching guys like you on da' Tube. I know already you are A TON better than I am, 'cause Gazelle can beat me and you can beat Gazelle. :psycho:

Just a dumb question: What's your favorite combo do pull off with Oli? Got any secret ones you think we don't know? :embarrass:laugh:

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
personally I'm having one problem with a b-spamming metaknight

I know this has been discussed at lenght but he hovers just above the grab range and the only way I can avoid damage is running off the edge and hogging or hoping my shield doesn't break and timing the up tilt perfectly.

Please anything on this would be useful. Also, I did enjoy seeing the vids of you vs. Futile and DSF good stuff in those vid win or lose.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the Olimar boards! Great vids, for sure. What would you say is the difference between a high-level tournament competitive Olimar and...one that's not?

oiMrXio

Smash Cadet
Hey-o Mr.X! Thanks for posting, I know my Olimar has gotten alot better from watching guys like you on da' Tube. I know already you are A TON better than I am, 'cause Gazelle can beat me and you can beat Gazelle. :psycho:

Just a dumb question: What's your favorite combo do pull off with Oli? Got any secret ones you think we don't know? :embarrass:laugh:
My favorite combo is when they just died//are starting a new life to do his grab-Dthrow-F-smash-grab-f-air//upsmash-latching a pikmin onto them. It's a GREAT combo for racking up that percent, since you can effectively make people start a new life with a 50-60% disadvantage right away.

I think I know a few combos that people don't know about, especially with using specific pikmin. It's good to keep in mind that Olimar's down-throw combos are pikmin specific. I'd advise you to try if you can to get a WHITE pikmin to be first and/or third in your pikmin line when someone is coming back from dying. The reason is because you can extend your down-throw combo to include an extra f-smash because white pikmin's throw is so weak (try to keep purples in the back of your line if you can). Here's what I mean:

If you start with anything else (red/yellow etc.), after you down throw/fsmash once, when you grab them the 2nd time, if you down throw you can't f-smash because their percent is too high, right? Well if you have a WHITE pikmin grab them (it has to be 3rd in line when you start the combo), then when you down throw them again, (dependent on character and DI of course, but in general this works), you can get a SECOND f-smash -grab in on them, so your combo now effectively looks like this:

Down-throw (red/blue/yellow/white) - F-smash (anything but purple) - Down-throw (White) - F-smash (anything but purple) - Down-throw (anything but purple) - F-air//upsmash (any pikmin) - latch pikmin as they fly away

Try it sometime, the combo can get people up to 70-ish percent if done right.

personally I'm having one problem with a b-spamming metaknight

I know this has been discussed at lenght but he hovers just above the grab range and the only way I can avoid damage is running off the edge and hogging or hoping my shield doesn't break and timing the up tilt perfectly.

Please anything on this would be useful. Also, I did enjoy seeing the vids of you vs. Futile and DSF good stuff in those vid win or lose.
Meta-Knight B-spamming is really detrimental to olimar because he can't move very fast to get away from it. The best thing to do is to simply look to see if he's low enough for a grab. If not, then you have 2 options. The best one is to run away and punish after he finishes his tornado. The 2nd option is to shield through all of it and punish after he stops. Keep in mind that you should not ever try to roll away from the tornado once you're caught in it becuase it'll catch you the second you start your rolling animation.

As a meta-knight, if you see someone shield through all of your tornado it makes the move feel kind of usless after a few tries, especially if you get punished for it. If you punish him once or twice, and you just shield the second the tornado comes to you, the meta-knight player will usually stop doing the tornado beause it isn't working.

Also keep in mind, the tornado is more detrimental to players psychologically than anything because it's frusturating to see a move that you can't hit them out of. Remember, the tornado usually doesn't hurt you that much if you DI once you get hit, and it won't kill you. Keep your cool and the move isn't really that bad (though I know how you feel, it can be frustrating at times).

Meta-Knight has a lot of other moves that are a lot scarier than the tornado, his Up-B -Downsmash combo for one. Just be patient with the tornado and it shouldn't give you too much trouble.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
I expect some big posts from you, Mr.X. And I would also like to play you. I've played quite the amount of Olimars and the best so far was ItsAndyBabe from GameFAQs. Echo doesn't really like Wi-Fi, especially not if it's versus people that live across the sea (like me, poor little fella living in Belgium, down here all the way in Europe, you won't even find that on the map), perhaps you do?

Also, some comments on my vids. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173047

Still trying to get better and better everyday of my life, however I'm quite busy with exams and stuff atm.

oiMrXio

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the Olimar boards! Great vids, for sure. What would you say is the difference between a high-level tournament competitive Olimar and...one that's not?
Mindgames for one. It doesn't matter what character you use, what your strategy is, or much of anything else for that matter. Combos are good and all, but like any fighting game, everything comes down to mindgames in the end. You need to keep an eye on your opponents habits and punish them when they do it again, and you need to also see what habits you have that your opponent picks up on so you can change accordingly.

One thing though that is a trend for higher-level players is that they play to their percents very carefully. At the beginning of their life they'll take a few more risks, but when they get to 100% percent they are VERY CAREFUL with what they attack you with. They will hang back, space a lot more, and try to just get every percent they can on you before they die. This is for two reasons:

1. They want to milk their life as much as possible so they have an advantage after they die and

2. They know that you're licking your lips for the kill. Once you can't get the kill on them, you get more frustrated, make more mistakes, and put yourself further behind

I remember just yesterday, I was playing someone with Rob and they died first when I was at 110%. The next life, they hit me maybe 2 times running around the stage everywhere before I killed them. As people get further behind, they get more desperate to catch up, which = more mistakes.

Especially as an olimar player, it's VERY Important that you keep your cool at all times, even if you get gimped from a 0%-ledge grab combo, you need to be even more patient and careful rather than running in with guns blazing to try to catch up to your opponents lead.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, theres essays that could be written on this subject. This is just what first came to mind for me, but there's really a lot more when it comes to the high-levels of the metagame that separate the people who consistenly win from those who don't. I may write more on this later as ideas come up.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I made a thread about squirtle and how to approach him or defend against him, could you please elaborate on this match-up for me?

asob4

Smash Champion
go to shuffle and cut next week! i wanna play you
you know chaz? one of blitz's friends? he compared me to you which made me feel good cause you play sooo fast and i learned a lot from those few vids lol /asskissery
but yeah i wanna play you, not a ditto but we'll both be a neutral character vs each others olimar
what do ya say?

] Especially as an olimar player, it's VERY Important that you keep your cool at all times, even if you get gimped from a 0%-ledge grab combo, you need to be even more patient and careful rather than running in with guns blazing to try to catch up to your opponents lead.
i agree with that, i was down 3-1 against a snake cause i got gimped at a low percent. i finally took his first stock, then after i combo'ed and took his second stock with me at 15% then the stage mess him up and killed him, so we pretty much lost a life to the stage

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Mr. X,

I noticed that in some of your videos, when you were hit and sent flying, you air-dodged. Does this minimize the knockback?

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Sorry but I'm going to secondary main olimar and just asking for good tips to keep in mind even though I main Fox.

P.S I'm a big fan of the Pikmin Series! (even though i lost my CD's -cry-)

Zori

Smash Champion
Mr.X you have some explaining to do! You play way different then the olimar boards you seen to throw pikmin till close to an opponent and use a smash attack at close range (atleast thats what i saw) this style is extreamly effective but some might mark it as 'spam ' but at high lvl play johnz are johnz. I showed a friend of mine a video of yours and he switched him play style to yours. Most of the olimar on these boards try to be more 'technical' but that not be the right meta game i mean come on sakurai has blessed us with 5 leet pikmin. Yesterday i had 3 white pikmin in my chain and i started to smile. Well what im trying to say is Mr.x ,Olimar boards as DSF play so different to the point where i think there is no olimar metagame because your metagame should change via what pikmin you pluck. Thats my 2 cents.

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
Hey, first off, thanks for doing this, this should help the Olimar community a great deal.
Before I ask my question, let me state a couple things.
(1)I have played Brawl extensively since release, and I have spent most/all of my time mastering Olimar, so I have a pretty deep understanding of how he works and how to play against certain people.
(2) The person I play most with knows how I play, and moreover how to effectively take advantage of Olimar's weaknesses. So basic strategies wont work against him it seems.

Okay question time= What is the most effective strategy against a marth player like my friend? He spends all his time in the air so opportunity to throw is minimal. He spams f-air so i cant intercept with my f-air. Idk, should I sit back and camp or should I be very offensive?

Help me Obi-Wan Kanobi Mr. X. you're my only hope...

Mr. X,

I noticed that in some of your videos, when you were hit and sent flying, you air-dodged. Does this minimize the knockback?
I'll answer that for you, no it doesn't. For me its just a habit from melee.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Mr. X

Glad I got your attention. I'm sure you would've looked at the post regardless, but I felt that your absolute attention was necessary.

I wanted to say two things:

1. Welcome to the board. I'll have to watch your videos as it seems I am the only one who has not yet. Also, I feel the same way you did. If I find something out I tend to hold it to myself for fear of beating myself out or, possibly, sounding stupid. With that, I'd like to let Olimar players know that I discovered something I don't believe has been found out by anyone as of yet.

I'm sure everyone knows about Cypher Grabbing. It is generally hard to do for Olimar. However, there is something that people don't know. Everyone knows you can grab Snake out of the Cypher. This is the trick, though. If you grab Snake, don't throw him. Let him break out. This will result in a similar effect to Cypher Grabbing in the sense that Snake cannot double jump or Up B. He can use C4, but the way he flys makes it nearly impossible for him to explode it on himself. However, it isn't as safe as Cypher Grabbing because if he breaks out along the ground and not diagonally coupled with correct DI he can grab the ledge still. I still think this is incredibly viable. I will opt for this over throwing him (assuming I miss the Cypher Grab) any time unless he knows how to correctly latch on to the stage every time.

Eh, sorry for that. I hadn't intended for that to be so long. Anyways, my real point of number one was to say Welcome Mr. X

2. Man, I made number one so long I think I forgot two... oh, no I didn't. I believe that you will have a lot of trouble keeping up with this board and answering everyone's question, so I will check this thread regularly and do my best to answer others questions as well, though I may not be as knowledgeable as you, Mr. X. Hopefully I can help out.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mr. X,

It's so he can react better when he hits the ground. If he didn't airdodge he'd have to cancel his momentum via pressing "a"(forgot what it's called, but w/e) It's just for convenience.

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
umm that's a very bad habit since you air dodge and then you had nothing else to do but hope to make it back on the stage... um go team Venture?
You are right, and that is something I didn't do in melee....because I used my third jump in melee.....
Why in the name of god DO i do that?

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Hey, first off, thanks for doing this, this should help the Olimar community a great deal.
(1)I have played Brawl extensively since release, and I have spent most/all of my time mastering Olimar, so I have a pretty deep understanding of how he works and how to play against certain people.
(2) The person I play most with knows how I play, and moreover how to effectively take advantage of Olimar's weaknesses. So basic strategies wont work against him it seems.

Okay question time= What is the most effective strategy against a marth player like my friend? He spends all his time in the air so opportunity to throw is minimal. He spams f-air so i cant intercept with my f-air. Idk, should I sit back and camp or should I be very offensive?

I think you're talking about off stage "flying" but if you air dodge after being hit so you land onstage it allows you to land on your feet instead of your stomach.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Welcome Mr X glad to see youv'e made your arrival. You have awesome vids btw and I like your style of Olimar.

Skipping to thhe question i'm having trouble with my friends Pit. It's not the spamming arrows that's the difficult for me, even though that's a tricky ting there as well. But my problem lies in Pit's glide game. My friend came up with the Pit Glide Cancel it's where he can glide regular and attck like he normally does but when he's near the ground he can cancel out of the Glide and regularly attck with no lag. I grab (which sometimes works) but if i miss i'm punished with a Smash or Tilt when he cancels it. So if I try to aerial his glide, the glide attack takes priority over mine. The only thing that wirks sometimes is my UpB but that only works when he comes at a certain angle.

Help Mr.X

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
he's not some god: "Mr x., my Holy Crusader, where art thou guidance?" lol, jk,

but anyways, I use Pit and Olimar also, so maybe I can give Mr X a break unless he wants to comment also. It depends on the angle of the approach. If you can run and wait to grab at where you think he'll land, that might work sometimes-that is, if he comes at you pretty close to parallel to the ground this will work everytime, as he doesn't have enough speed to go up^ after gliding towards you. If it's from above mostly, you can try to roll behind where he'll land. The sword doesn't go behind him. Just be sure to look for his followup, and try to anticipate an ftilt (his longest ranged move) If he attacks he'll probably look for the grab or the dash attack to catch you offguard, so spotdodge and punish accordingly. Just my two cents though.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Ive seen some of your video's your good, ive played olimar pretty much since brawl launched, ive gotten pretty good...but i never use olimars tilts... do you use olimars tilts? and when? (also interested if you use his downtilt) Do you know any characters Nair is particualarly good against? (these are all things i dont use so if you know any good uses for them let me know) (not that im saying his tilts are bad or anything) Can you link us to maby some of your best/favorite olimar video's? im sure you have a bunch but if you have a few that you think are really good feel free :) Who do you think is olimars worst matchup (i figure its MK) and how do you think olimar matches up with snake (even?) Do you use the whistle armor, and in what situations?

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Ive seen some of your video's your good, ive played olimar pretty much since brawl launched, ive gotten pretty good...but i never use olimars tilts... do you use olimars tilts? and when? (also interested if you use his downtilt) Do you know any characters Nair is particualarly good against? (these are all things i dont use so if you know any good uses for them let me know) (not that im saying his tilts are bad or anything) Can you link us to maby some of your best/favorite olimar video's? im sure you have a bunch but if you have a few that you think are really good feel free :) Who do you think is olimars worst matchup (i figure its MK) and how do you think olimar matches up with snake (even?) Do you use the whistle armor, and in what situations?
I'm not Mr.X, but I would like to reply to DarkStraw's post because I have nothing better to do.

Olimar's tilts are often not used enough. They're very good and cancel a lot of attacks. I can't make a list of it, but I have cancelled fSmashes of several characters by fTilting or dTilting. On lower percentages, you can do about 2 dTilts for sure (especially on heavy characters) and then you can juggle them some more.

nAirs. I go nAir when someone is on the edge and is going to get off. If they don't attack quickly enough (what often happens), they get stuck in the nAir rightaway and get some more damage. nAiring versus another Olimar is very effective, because it like cancels most of his aerials (all of them?).

Worst match-up depends on every person, so I won't answer that one. And as Echo said: a smart Olimar can beat any character, even Snake.

SAF Whistle is one useful when on high damage, in the air and playing someone that can fake aerials and then hit you with a real aerial, if you know what I mean. Or just Whistle to let them know you have some SAF. :p

Mr.X: Can I see some results of tournaments you've been to? Because I get the impression people treat you like a god here...

Rocann

Smash Lord
I expect some big posts from you, Mr.X. And I would also like to play you. I've played quite the amount of Olimars and the best so far was ItsAndyBabe from GameFAQs. Echo doesn't really like Wi-Fi, especially not if it's versus people that live across the sea (like me, poor little fella living in Belgium, down here all the way in Europe, you won't even find that on the map), perhaps you do?

Also, some comments on my vids. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173047

Still trying to get better and better everyday of my life, however I'm quite busy with exams and stuff atm.
sweet some respect!

oiMrXio

Smash Cadet
go to shuffle and cut next week! i wanna play you
you know chaz? one of blitz's friends? he compared me to you which made me feel good cause you play sooo fast and i learned a lot from those few vids lol /asskissery
but yeah i wanna play you, not a ditto but we'll both be a neutral character vs each others olimar
what do ya say?

i agree with that, i was down 3-1 against a snake cause i got gimped at a low percent. i finally took his first stock, then after i combo'ed and took his second stock with me at 15% then the stage mess him up and killed him, so we pretty much lost a life to the stage
LoL, yeah I know Chaz. He's a pretty good Snake player and a funny guy. I don't know yet if I'm going to Shuffle/Cut next weekend, but we have to play if I do =D.

Mr. X,

I'm not 100% sure if it does, but it was my belief when the game first came out that it did minimize the knockback a little bit (back when no one else really knew what they were doing lol), and since then I made it habit. If nothing else, it's good to do anyways to get you out of the tumbling animation. If you are tumbling when you hit the ground, you have to tech to get back up or risk being punished.

When I first started playing a lot with Olimar, Marth used to give me quite a bit of trouble, but now I am very comfortable with this match up. There are a few different styles to Marth players, I find the most dangerous being the ones that use his forward-B attack a lot, and the easier ones being the ones who are in the air a lot (which seems to be your friend).

My strategy with marth is to usually let him come to me. Marth players tend to be very aggressive because they know that at that close-mid range their sword's priority outclasses almost everything. As long as you respect that sword and keep it in mind, the match becomes a LOT easier. If he's far away, just throw pikmin to rack up that damage. If he comes in withf-airs, shieldgrab if he lands in front, and if he lands in back I usually tend to roll away and do a running grab because smart marth players will anticipare you f-smashing behind you and they'll shield-f-smash YOU or shield-upB you.

Running upsmashes tend to work well if you know when marth is going to jump at you with his f-air.

Also remember that down-throw-fsmash works vs Marth at 0/low percents. It's an EASY way to rack up the damage on him quickly.

I didn't go into too much detail, but if you wanna see what I mean//what I do, here's a couple matches that might show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxcVUqXxSs (Mr.X vs DSF, Round 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-5rDtCDvhY (Mr.X vs DSF, Round 2)

A little background on those matches, this was my first Brawl tournament since the game came out, and DSF at the time was undefeated for 6 tournaments, so I was QUITE nervous during the matches because DSF is a beast with Marth. Since then my marth game has improved a little, the biggest flaw I can see watching those again now is that I didn't do the downthrow-fsmash-downthrow-fair. I played it too safe and just did downthrow-fair or downthrow-upsmash.

Mr. X

Glad I got your attention. I'm sure you would've looked at the post regardless, but I felt that your absolute attention was necessary.

I wanted to say two things:

1. Welcome to the board. I'll have to watch your videos as it seems I am the only one who has not yet. Also, I feel the same way you did. If I find something out I tend to hold it to myself for fear of beating myself out or, possibly, sounding stupid. With that, I'd like to let Olimar players know that I discovered something I don't believe has been found out by anyone as of yet.

I'm sure everyone knows about Cypher Grabbing. It is generally hard to do for Olimar. However, there is something that people don't know. Everyone knows you can grab Snake out of the Cypher. This is the trick, though. If you grab Snake, don't throw him. Let him break out. This will result in a similar effect to Cypher Grabbing in the sense that Snake cannot double jump or Up B. He can use C4, but the way he flys makes it nearly impossible for him to explode it on himself. However, it isn't as safe as Cypher Grabbing because if he breaks out along the ground and not diagonally coupled with correct DI he can grab the ledge still. I still think this is incredibly viable. I will opt for this over throwing him (assuming I miss the Cypher Grab) any time unless he knows how to correctly latch on to the stage every time.

Eh, sorry for that. I hadn't intended for that to be so long. Anyways, my real point of number one was to say Welcome Mr. X

2. Man, I made number one so long I think I forgot two... oh, no I didn't. I believe that you will have a lot of trouble keeping up with this board and answering everyone's question, so I will check this thread regularly and do my best to answer others questions as well, though I may not be as knowledgeable as you, Mr. X. Hopefully I can help out.
Lol thanks for the welcome ^_^

I don't really know what you mean by the cypher grabbing, the only way I know how to do it is to just grab Snake when he's doing his up-b while he's coming up, and if you don't hit/throw him he dies.

Thanks for the questions. I'll respond to the rest later tonight after I get back from work!

asob4

Smash Champion
scratch shuffle and cut, we're trying to bring everyone up here to Palmdale/Lancaster for one of our tournaments, it's cheaper and the prize is actually more. if everyone from all around makes it you can expect 70 people.
and trust me, AV is too good hahah

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Ive played some good marths, and it feels like an even matchup, if they use the sideb to much you can roll behind them and punish them for it. Sometimes i can grab them in the middle of the side b, but that might just be because they made a mistake. Ive played some really good marths... and its not nearly as bad as playing against MK (in my opinion)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry if I came out as rude, but that's the way it kinda sounded after reading over it.

Edit: oh, I have a question. My friend mains Zelda/Sheik. I don't have much problem with his Zelda, but I feel that his Sheik (and normal ones) has a natural advantage over Olimar. I can't seem to play defensively against his nair>jab combo when I'm grounded and his fair, dair, and nair outprioritize upsmash. His jabs and tilts kill my fsmashes, dsmashes, and jabs so I have no way to space well. His fair and nair also outprioritize my fair and his upair is too quick to time mostly. I don't really have any way to stop these problems. Dthrow>fair>ff>dthrow doesn't wrok b/c he can DI downwards and jab me, which stops my grab. I mostly have problems spacing in this matchup. If I jump, he fairs every time, and if I airdodge the fair, he'll nair immediately afterwards cuz it's quick. I've got some of the videos in my video thread. Can you shed some light?

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I went through the thread and noticed the comments on Metaknight's 'B-Move'.
You can actually knock him out of it with Up+B very easily as he's raised above your grab. With a purple and him at 90% or more, he can sometimes die on stages as well.

The grab with no throw release trick is very good and works on floatier characters as well as snake...

As for a combo that I haven't seen around and didn't mention before? I'll throw in Dthrow, fair, dthrow (white), fair dthrow (white as best), nair, uair, up+b.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
It's so he can react better when he hits the ground. If he didn't airdodge he'd have to cancel his momentum via pressing "a"(forgot what it's called, but w/e) It's just for convenience.
That being said, should all Olimar Users make this a habit?
Mr. X seems to be the only fella to air-dodge when he gets hit.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I guess so. It's not a big deal if you can tech your fall before your opponent gets to you though.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
that's^ called double stick DI I think, which does help.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lol thanks for the welcome ^_^

I don't really know what you mean by the cypher grabbing, the only way I know how to do it is to just grab Snake when he's doing his up-b while he's coming up, and if you don't hit/throw him he dies.

Thanks for the questions. I'll respond to the rest later tonight after I get back from work!
Cypher Grabbing is where you actually grab the Cypher (not Snake) during his Up B. It causes him to shoot downwards. He cannot Up B, C4, or double jump. Basically, if you grab the Cypher (the part Snake holds on to and that carrys him up) it's like saying, "**** you and die, Snake."

Sorry if I came out as rude, but that's the way it kinda sounded after reading over it.

Edit: oh, I have a question. My friend mains Zelda/Sheik. I don't have much problem with his Zelda, but I feel that his Sheik (and normal ones) has a natural advantage over Olimar. I can't seem to play defensively against his nair>jab combo when I'm grounded and his fair, dair, and nair outprioritize upsmash. His jabs and tilts kill my fsmashes, dsmashes, and jabs so I have no way to space well. His fair and nair also outprioritize my fair and his upair is too quick to time mostly. I don't really have any way to stop these problems. Dthrow>fair>ff>dthrow doesn't wrok b/c he can DI downwards and jab me, which stops my grab. I mostly have problems spacing in this matchup. If I jump, he fairs every time, and if I airdodge the fair, he'll nair immediately afterwards cuz it's quick. I've got some of the videos in my video thread. Can you shed some light?
While I've never actually experienced this match up myself, I believe I can still offer some advice. This sound similar to something that happened to me in Melee. Sheik was Dr. Mario... but better. Every single move she had was the same as Doc's but with more priority, range, or just plain general. It seems like a similar effect here.

Even if you can hardly combo out of a grab, grabs are your friends in this match. If she is on the ground, she will be grabbed, because you should be *intelligently* spamming grab. Frustrate her. Make her want to be in the air. This is where you get your Uairs. Platforms stages would be best. The Uair is too good and there is not much she can do about it. Her Dair may go through it, or the first hit rather, but if you are low enough the last hits will still get her. If not, predict when she will Dair. Don't try to up smash it! Shield instead. THEN up smash out of your shield.

Just play this game really defensively. I wish I could be of more help to you.

That being said, should all Olimar Users make this a habit?
Mr. X seems to be the only fella to air-dodge when he gets hit.
1. He isn't.
2. It doesn't reduce your knockback. It was thought to in the beginning but it turned out that the knockback was simply being reduced due to stale moves.
3. It is still a good idea, though not a necessary habit. You can also wiggle. All that really matters is that you DI correctly.

Top Bottom