• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr.3000=The Best Sonic ever?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Well, he is a great Sonic. He plays like KITO and CHRIS (people of my team), that guys aren't flashy, but attack in a very effective way. If you see KITO's play style, he don't miss attacks at all. They WIN, that's the goal after all...
I can say ASC don't makes Sonic (If you see my vids you'll see I do it a lot, BUT NOW I use it like 2 times per match... I'll upload some stuff this week)... Now I prefer Spin Dash and Fair to approach on air and my gameplay improved a lot.
Sonic gameplay will keep improving guys... I don't know if mr.3000 is the best Sonic (I really loved the "BANANA CONTROL!!!") and I don't really care who is the best. You are the best today, tomorrow you'll don't. My point is: The game is still a baby, let's see what will happen in some years.
I say the same when people talks about the worst character... Today is bad, tomorrow top tier (who knows?).

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
Well, he is a great Sonic. He plays like KITO and CHRIS (people of my team), that guys aren't flashy, but attack in a very effective way. If you see KITO's play style, he don't miss attacks at all. They WIN, that's the goal after all...
I can say ASC don't makes Sonic (If you see my vids you'll see I do it a lot, BUT NOW I use it like 2 times per match... I'll upload some stuff this week)... Now I prefer Spin Dash and Fair to approach on air and my gameplay improved a lot.
Sonic gameplay will keep improving guys... I don't know if mr.3000 is the best Sonic (I really loved the "BANANA CONTROL!!!") and I don't really care who is the best. You are the best today, tomorrow you'll don't. My point is: The game is still a baby, let's see what will happen in some years.
I say the same when people talks about the worst character... Today is bad, tomorrow top tier (who knows?).
awesome cant wait for your next vids :D your dair tutorial was very helpful.

NNID
MasterHavik
I like 3000, but ppl are still on lucky for some reason. Awesome techs don't make you and put character here or sonic in that case. It all about outsmarting your foe and getting the upper hand.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Mr. 3000 playss simply and smartly. He punishes everything that's whiffed with Sonic's speed and impecable timing. It's not flashy, but undeniably effective.

OwL

Smash Cadet
True, this game is all about effectiveness...

...BUT I WANT FLASHY GAMEPLAY TOO. :colorful:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive analysed the vids he has up. and this is what i surmise...

his primary strengths are:

1. matchup knowledge. if you watch his 2 most recent matchups, youll see that methods he uses to fight diddy, are very different from the things he does against kirby. he has learned what does and does not work against every character he plays against, and uses that knowledge to his advantage.

2. approaching. he uses double and triple charge down b alot. he does this because it covers a lot of ground and as an approach, its about as punishable as MKs down smash. yea you can do it... but mostly likely you wont.

he also throws a lot and follows them up very well.

so yea hes the most successful sonic but as for the best... i plan to take that title as my own very soon.

Browny

Smash Hater
So... 3000 can manage to beat sethlons falco yet again, and hordes of MK/snake users no doubt to get third, an he didnt use any advanced techniques, chaingrabs, flashy combos, broken moves, spamming or anything. He just played sonic same way most characters play.

Could it be possible Sonic isnt complete garbage? We all know what you think memphis so dont bother.

OwL

Smash Cadet
So... 3000 can manage to beat sethlons falco yet again, and hordes of MK/snake users no doubt to get third, an he didnt use any advanced techniques, chaingrabs, flashy combos, broken moves, spamming or anything. He just played sonic same way most characters play.

Could it be possible Sonic isnt complete garbage? We all know what you think memphis so dont bother.
Exactly! And then we have all these ATs (how2kill, how2combo, how2spindash) threads all over the place, yet the solution seems to be playing it simple and effective?

I demand videos of this Sonic ****** MK/Snakes.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's not garbage some one is using him good like a few others. His use of the important things, over ride advanvce flashy play. Hmm...maybe just maybe...hmm maybe we have something...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Sonic is not complete garbage, but the people that do the best with him have one thing that sets them above the rest: they can mind-game Sonic's kill moves. I noticed Lucky had a favorite tactic where he would space himself from the ledge (with his enemy on it) and wait for them to come up with his back faced to them. This way he could either turn and auto-stutter step a forward smash, or just jump and bair if they tried to come above him.

3000's last kill on Sethlon in that well known video also has something of a mind-gamed f-smash as the finisher.

Being able to do this is what keeps your enemies from getting to +200% and thinking Sonic has no kill moves.

Practically speaking, if you don't spend just as much time working on kill-move mind-gaming as you do on ATs and advanced combos, you will probably lose against any decent opponent.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Nicely put Toes mind games are really important. But i dont wanna change subject but Toes do u think a sputter step is really usful to learn?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
It's like... a 5 minute investment of your time to learn (max). Integrating it into your game is a little more difficult, but I've used it on occasion... mostly against Pikachu's down-b and down-smash. Knowing how to do it is more important than necessarily having an immediate plan for using it.

If you play a lot of Brawl matches you'll probably just randomly come across a situation where you'll think to yourself "oh, I could have stutter stepped that and it would have worked."

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Its nice to see a good sonic. shows it can be done. I hope to known as the best Sonic someday, too. at least in virginia.:)

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Probably. I would be interested in his input though, also Hella's of DBR. Analyzing video footage only goes so far. I've watched a few of their matches, and they both have a very different play style.

I would just like to hear some stuff from either of them.

I need to get some vids up...

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Probably. I would be interested in his input though, also Hella's of DBR. Analyzing video footage only goes so far. I've watched a few of their matches, and they both have a very different play style.

I would just like to hear some stuff from either of them.

I need to get some vids up...
Yeah. That would be great. I've started to use the dash attack as an interrupter after watching 3000's matches and it's surprising effective. I USED to do it but it got lost in all of the flashier techniques. I've started using a more refined version of my original style and it is SO effective.

NNID
MasterHavik
I want 3,00 on the boards :( Anyway, how many wisn do we need to get to B or A rank with Sonic? I really just want the man to be a good mid- tier and I'm happy. Also, I think 3,00 doesn't like us cause we smell funny.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, I read a comment somewhere on some thread here, maybe this one, that AT's don't necessarily make a good Sonic, and that playing smarter > playing with AT's.

It's true. They don't.

There's no point in using spinshot or ASC all the time if you can't effectively create openings for your kill moves, just as there's no point in spamming Mortar Slide all the time.

However, Sonic's techniques (I don't really believe the spin cancels to be... "advanced") can be used smartly, as well.

What if 3000 didn't know that an Aerial Spin Charge could do two hits? What if he started incorporating a bit of ASC combos and fakeouts in his game, or started using side-B feints to bait moves and further pressure his opponent?

I want to see someone who can bring out a balance of both effective 'basics' (good knowledge of the matchup, chasing ability, reading/mindgame ability), while incorporating some of the techniques into their game.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well I know for like a month now I've been abusing the ASC so I could learn WHEN to incorporate it. I'm pretty sure I have its effectiveness down. Now I'm playing my style with it incorporated rather than using it for the bulk of my play.

And he's Snake. OF COURSE he should be mortar sliding constantly. XD

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
I've got to agree with Tenki on this one. If someone were able to effectively incorporate the ATs, all while mindfully executing the fundamentals, they would indeed become a force to be reckoned with--it's just a matter of pulling it off. The game's still young, folks; we've got time to perfect the speed demon into a tourney-winning monster!

I'm not sure about you guys, but watching Mr. 3000's "simplistic" playstyle has been a bit of a revelation to me. I--like some others, apparently--have been haphazardly making ASC attempts, among other ATs. I now find myself going for more simplistic approaches, trying to bait, and including many more grabs. In fact, that's probably what I've learned most from watching those few 3000 videos: Sonic's throws and the resulting follow-ups are a great source of damage and control (Not to mention giving them a few whacks in the grab sends your moves down the 10-deep stale list so they're fresh for a killing blow).

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about you guys, but watching Mr. 3000's "simplistic" playstyle has been a bit of a revelation to me. I--like some others, apparently--have been haphazardly making ASC attempts, among other ATs. I now find myself going for more simplistic approaches, trying to bait, and including many more grabs. In fact, that's probably what I've learned most from watching those few 3000 videos: Sonic's throws and the resulting follow-ups are a great source of damage and control (Not to mention giving them a few whacks in the grab sends your moves down the 10-deep stale list so they're fresh for a killing blow).
Sonic's grab game is seriously underrated. I think it's because a lot of Sonics probably don't focus on it as much as they should even though it sets up for all sorts of edge-guarding, tech-chasing, and juggling.

How can be 3000 in disguise? And toes memphis is not your boyfriend man.
I can dream can't I?

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
We don't really need a list for that.

All you really need to know is that under 10 percent your not going to successfully going pull have a pummel and the throw, the rest is really instinct.

I would give an estimated guess that about every 15 to 20 percent you can get off another pummel starting from 0

maybe 10 for the first few intervals of 10

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Pretty sure it's only based on how fast people struggle. Unless people manage an instant grab release, I think you can get 1 pummel per 25-30% without them breaking out. That's obviously just for Sonic, I don't know how slower pummels work. But since that's as fast as a LVL 9 CPU can break out I assume a human player can't do it faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom