• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MP3 Players

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
So my MP3 player just broke again, and I'm going to buy a new cheap one that isn't an iPod, considering those are expensive, and I've been through 10 of them, which all of them were stolen.

What MP3 player do you have? And whats a good cheap one for me to get?

Discuss.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Also wanting to avoid iPods, I got an 8 GB Zune (probably should've gone with a 30 gb one though!). I'm not sure if it costs more or less than other MP3 players now (I don't remember prices when I was looking at them), but it works well and is reliable.

Also, I suggest you stop getting them stolen, as I don't believe a Zune is theft-proof.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Creative Zen: Vision is the one I have, and I prefer the superior screen, FM radio (which you can record off of), Microphone, and easier compatible video types to the iPod.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well it depends on how big an MP3 player you are looking to get. If your looking for a smaller one I would say to go with a Sansa, theyre a good solid mp3 player. If your looking for a larger one though then Im not really sure what you should get.

D

Deleted member

I used to have a Creative Zen before I got my iTouch. Creative Zen is friggin' amazing.

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
I have iPod Nano first generation. Going to be 3 years old someday this or next month.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I need a MP3 player as well and I want to stay away from iPod [iTunes SUCKS, seriously], and I don't need a lot of space so I might go for the cheaper models of some of the other brands.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I need a MP3 player as well and I want to stay away from iPod [iTunes SUCKS, seriously], and I don't need a lot of space so I might go for the cheaper models of some of the other brands.
If you choose the right model, you can avoid iTunes entirely. I run Linux, and I can interface with my wife's old iPod Nano.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Gold Shadow how are the Zunes? Im thinking about getting the cheapest model.
I like it, it works very well. The software is good and straightforward. Nothing like iTunes, which does not use mp3 format and has all sorts of restrictions on copying and playback. In fact, that's specifically why I wanted to avoid iPods and opted for the Zune instead. The Zune plays videos and music, can store pictures, has radio, all that stuff. They also recently came out with a car pack like the ones that have been out for other mp3 players so you can listen to it in the car via a radio tuner.

Do not buy a Zune.
Why not? I have had only good experiences with it.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Zune uses DRM of Hades. On top of that, it doesn't even support the latest DRM schemes that Microsoft worships.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I got my first mp3 for Christmas, which was the latest generation iPod nano. I don't think iTunes is difficult at all. You get music, videos, pictures, podcasts, and games. I don't see why people would bother buying music.. Or downloading iTunes movies which are like 2 gig.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I agree with Buzz when he says don't buy a Zune. It has so few (1 iirc) compatible video types, and they shut off when they come in contact with static. So you can't really put it in your pocket. Also, you prolly won't find any Zune accessories in any store. They also have bad customer service.

Fletch

Smash Master
I hate iPods, but also second the Zune hate. Creative is definitely where it's at regarding MP3 players, get a Zen or Vision M.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
The Creative Zen Stone Plus is the best low-price mp3player I can think of - lots of functions and pretty small (if you dont need to play Photos/Videos). Maybe a bit unhandy on the first view.

Nintendood

Smash Cadet
If you don't want an iPod, get a Zune and get your name engraven. most people who steal those sell them, and you might just get it back if the buyer is a honest person.

Lazlo Falconi

Smash Cadet
I use a Samsung YP-Z4. Kinda old and all-but impossible to find but very nice. I need one that's a bit bigger than four gigabytes but I'm attached (Also broke)

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Well, I just want an MP3 player that lets me navigate my music easily. All of the ones I currently use outside of iPod/Zune don't do that. They only have a go back or forward function :(

Anything like what I'm talking about on the market?

InfamousLegato

Smash Cadet
If you get an iPod just don't use iTunes. Use Sharepod or some other 3rd party software to add music to it without dealing with the hassle. Also, be a little more careful. People will steal any mp3 player iPod or not.

Side note : Whoever programmed this into the 30gb Zune should be fired.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOL ConvertDays(UINT32 days, SYSTEMTIME* lpTime)
{
int dayofweek, month, year;
UINT8 *month_tab;

//Calculate current day of the week
dayofweek = GetDayOfWeek(days);

year = ORIGINYEAR;

while (days > 365)
{
if (IsLeapYear(year))
{
if (days > 366)
{
days -= 366;
year += 1;
}
}
else
{
days -= 365;
year += 1;
}
}
// Determine whether it is a leap year

^^ lol at bad programming

Veng

Smash Ace
I have an iTouch but my cousin got a Zen for Christmas, its pretty tight, better then most and it has a decent led screen that has an iPod type design and feature.

Overload

Smash Lord
Insignia isn't bad either.
I have an insignia, it's great. I recommend it.

If you get an iPod just don't use iTunes. Use Sharepod or some other 3rd party software to add music to it without dealing with the hassle. Also, be a little more careful. People will steal any mp3 player iPod or not.

Side note : Whoever programmed this into the 30gb Zune should be fired.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOL ConvertDays(UINT32 days, SYSTEMTIME* lpTime)
{
int dayofweek, month, year;
UINT8 *month_tab;

//Calculate current day of the week
dayofweek = GetDayOfWeek(days);

year = ORIGINYEAR;

while (days > 365)
{
if (IsLeapYear(year))
{
if (days > 366)
{
days -= 366;
year += 1;
}
}
else
{
days -= 365;
year += 1;
}
}
// Determine whether it is a leap year

^^ lol at bad programming
Y2K9!!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I got a cheap Memorex for twenty bucks. So far I've loaded almost all of my favorite songs onto it with plenty of space to spare, I have zero problems, the sound is CD quality, and it uploads any media type I want (through WMP, which converts for optimization). It also uploads at the speed of light, **** near. I uploaded about six hours worth of music in a minute or two, it just zipped by.

I was kind of worried because it was outdated (came with software for XP at the newest), but it even worked on my Vista laptop with WMP 11. Yay for Vista compatibility!

IntegraDC2rawkr

Smash Cadet
i only got the old 30GB Zune and i dont know if they sell them still.its good but get the new zunes,heard many great news about them

Top Bottom