• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Tier List.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I wouldn't sticky this.

It was just meant for general discussion.

Boxobair will be added.

And yeah, I agree with Kinzer's point there. I'm not really going off my own playstyles, but more how good each move is, and how practical they are.
I'll probably move dtilt down, even though no one understands it's brilliance.

</3

The closest this will get to a sticky is if I put the final agreed list into the other moveset thread I'm doing, and once I've done all the move write-ups and the "what moves to use against opponents playstyles" in that thread too it might be worthy of being in some sort of Thread Index thing.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'unno, I still feel that Ftilt should be higher. It has good range, it's good for spacing, and it's one of Sonic's few GTFO moves (as Tenki would put it).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If it makes you feel any better, I am well-aware that DTilt can be used to punish people at low %ages, combo into itself sometimes along with other mvoes like UTilt, and works numbers on fastfallers and heavies.

I really do need to impliment it into my game more, but I guess I can work it in over time.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Definitley Kinzer. I was such a fool before I started effectively using Dtilt.
I personally think that's fine where it is.

@ROOOY!
Trust me, I love Utilt, but I still feel that Ftilt is overall more useful than Utilt.
You kinda need to set up a Utilt, whereas an Ftilt is just like...Rawr.

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
F-throw is definitely worst move, but dair is good for mainly one use IMO, and that's after a D-throw off the edge, it gimps so many characters, but on stage it's quite useless (auto cancelled dair spring setups aren't too useful against good players)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Dtilt is amazing. But a bunch of that list I can't agree with. Here's mine, based mostly on yours:

Steak
Side Taunt
Boxobair
Up Throw
Uair
Spincharge

High

Spring
Bair
Fair
Dtilt
Dthrow
Spindash

Mid
Dash attack
Fsmash
Ftilt
Nair
Up smash
Pummels
Bthrow
Dair

Low

Dsmash
Utilt
Jab
Homing Attack
Fthrow

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
I'd put dair last, as an offensive tool, but it is useful to cancel out spring...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't think a Dair after and F-throw would make a good combo... for one thing unless you're going to go offstage with the Dair, it has a lot of landing lag, and either way, it's punishable because the Spring will only sned you so high up before they can just place themselves for a smash attack while you Spring recover.

Besides that, Dair is already in the low-tier, and it does have it's uses, though defenitely not for offensive much unless it's for a pseudo-spike.

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
IMO that would only be useful against characters with really slow fairs AND nairs, since that's the only way you'll be able to hit them, since I'm pretty sure f-throw won't combo. If they know they have slow aerials, they'll airdodge, and you can wait and punish. Other than that, I don't know.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, it's pretty hard to successfully follow-up a Fair, and it does the least damage of all Sonic's throws. It looks like it's spaced right for an SDJ > Fair, but of course they can just airdodge :(

hmm, but maybe Fthrow > SDJ > Nair would get them. And by SDJ I mean, buffer a down-B after the throw and as soon as it gets a charge, tap up on the control stick (or the control stick if you're fast) = fast SDJ without an SDR first. An Nair should be delayed enough to at least get them with something if they airdodge. Alternatively, if you think they'll attack, Fair can eat through a lot so depending on the opponent, you might be able to win? Hmm I'll experiment later, but I doubt any Fthrow combo would actually be legitimate at high-level play.

Tenki

Smash Hero
idiots

Shield and Grab are top tier with Sonic. Dash is also arguably top tier, but maybe high.

Think about it, Shield is his fastest defensive option, and you can cancel it with dodge and grab. You can do it out of run, so your runs are safe. Shielding while running can screw up people's spacing, and it's an amazing option against projectiles. You can even survive MK's tornado by shielding. How many of Sonic's moves can do that? And you can even use shield to stop side-B charges and ASC landings.

And grab - you can outprioritize stuff with it, it's Sonic's most control-giving move and most damaging (followup-wise) punisher. Amazing. People are like "OMG SONIC PRIORITY SUCKS!!!" but obviously they've never seen grabs before.

And dash- Dash is amazing. Screech stop, cancellable via shield, or any specials. It's an approach that forces some opponents to commit to attacks! The turnaround/pivot is kinda slow, but it's balanced out with the dash pivot cancel --> (optional extended) stutterstep, or DPC > instant dash attack in the opposite direction.

wuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttt

and how is D-smash low??

It's faster than F-smash, maybe 10% weaker than F-smash on the first hit, has IASA frames that make punishing post-lag difficult, and it lingers for a while, which makes it awesome for throwing off people who like to spotdodge or roll.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
idiots

Shield and Grab are top tier with Sonic. Dash is also arguably top tier, but maybe high.

Think about it, Shield is his fastest defensive option, and you can cancel it with dodge and grab. You can do it out of run, so your runs are safe. Shielding while running can screw up people's spacing, and it's an amazing option against projectiles. You can even survive MK's tornado by shielding. How many of Sonic's moves can do that? And you can even use shield to stop side-B charges and ASC landings.

And grab - you can outprioritize stuff with it, it's Sonic's most control-giving move and most damaging (followup-wise) punisher. Amazing. People are like "OMG SONIC PRIORITY SUCKS!!!" but obviously they've never seen grabs before.

And dash- Dash is amazing. Screech stop, cancellable via shield, or any specials. It's an approach that forces some opponents to commit to attacks! The turnaround/pivot is kinda slow, but it's balanced out with the dash pivot cancel --> (optional extended) stutterstep, or DPC > instant dash attack in the opposite direction.

wuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttt
Durr that's an input, this is a moveset tier list, not any input possible tier list.

Tenki

Smash Hero
mostly a joke post, but the thing i edited in after (d-smash) was moar serus.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, it wasn't a "joke", but it was a "joke post" (not to be taken seriously)

except for the D-smash part.

Because it's cool.

Tenki

Smash Hero
my roommate's wii can't connect to the college network (though, for a while, we were leeching off of someone's router, and we had like sooo many blue connections, but he eventually took off the network lol), so if I go home on weekends (usually do, weekend job lol) I can play online.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Seriously though, I'm with Tenki, why is Dsmash so low? Its range is good, stays out for a nice amount of time, punishes spot and rolldodgers, decreases your hurtbox, comes out quicker than fsmash, with less vunerability at the end(IASA). Not to mention people still walk into it thinking you're using another spinny attack. Also, it killing 10% lower isnt even that big of a deal when you can at least hit from both sides. The only thing fsmash truly has over it is the ability to use it from a foxtrot easily, which you can do with dsmash with DDP(albeit significantly more difficult)

P.S Anyone else been in a Sonic ditto where one Sonic Usmashes/hyphen smashes and the other one dsmashes right next to him? It looks too cool =P

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, it's kind of counterable during the move XD

walk/run into it and shield grab.

oh, and I hate it when that U-smash D-smash thing happens.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
well, it wasn't a "joke", but it was a "joke post" (not to be taken seriously)

except for the D-smash part.

Because it's cool.
Well D-smash is good has good range, fair attack power and can possibly block most attacks with the inviciblity frame thing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well D-smash is good has good range, fair attack power and can possibly block most attacks with the inviciblity frame thing.
D-smash's range is a little less than F-smash. It's decent but meh.

Attack power, doesn't it do like 10 or something? Only on the first hit though. Its main use is to throw people off when they dodge, but it doubles as a kill move.

It also doesn't have invincibility frames. :dizzy:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
well, it's kind of counterable during the move XD

walk/run into it and shield grab.

oh, and I hate it when that U-smash D-smash thing happens.
Haha yea thats true =P But its shield push is decent.

Oh and btw, use Izzy's increase the range of dsmash method =P It actually is useful now and then XD

EDIT:

Its charge release I also believe is slightly quicker than than fsmash's. Usually my dsmash kills are from charged dsmashes to punish a dodge.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Haha yea thats true =P But its shield push is decent.

Oh and btw, use Izzy's increase the range of dsmash method =P It actually is useful now and then XD
Shield push is kinda nulled by running shields :3

lol@increasing D-smash range.

What's fun is standing next to the edge, facing the edge, and doing a D-smash. The first part will push you into the stage, and then you'll slide backwards, further in.

Throws people off sometimes.

Also, doing a reverse D-smash to dodge and punish a move. It's superweird.

Its charge release I also believe is slightly quicker than than fsmash's. Usually my dsmash kills are from charged dsmashes to punish a dodge.
Yeah, it is. And I also get alot of kills from charged smashes.

Though, I tend to get people with charged F-smash, so the "charged D-smash" thing kinda gets nulled out by that lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah. Homing attack goes up a tier on wifi, but it's SOOOOO exploitable (even online) if the opponent has good-enough matchup knowledge.

protip: don't use it to recover if your opponent is near the edge XD

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Yeah. Homing attack goes up a tier on wifi, but it's SOOOOO exploitable (even online) if the opponent has good-enough matchup knowledge.
Yet somehow people always fall for it ^_^, even people who constantly play Sonic XD

protip: don't use it to recover if your opponent is near the edge XD
Lawlss, I always do this and connect about 90% of the time XD. Homing attack recovery from below is too good.

but omg when I whiff a Homing attack and get killed by a Lucas usmash. God that's painful.

I actually think HA is very useful, if highly punishable, because it travels so quickly. Its actually best used from long distances IMO, since it coves the distance gap so rapidly.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
D-smash's range is a little less than F-smash. It's decent but meh.

Attack power, doesn't it do like 10 or something? Only on the first hit though. Its main use is to throw people off when they dodge, but it doubles as a kill move.

It also doesn't have invincibility frames. :dizzy:
Hmm really? because I tried this and it collied with another attack and it canceled each other out so I thought it had invinciblity frames...

infomon

Smash Scientist
SonicX580, sometimes I really can't tell if you're serious or not.

When two hitboxes overlap, they often "clash" (aka "clang"), and often this resets the characters to a neutral state. Like get two Sonics face-to-face, try to jab at the same time... their fists collide and the attack is totally interrupted. This has nothing to do with invincibility, it's just moves nullifying and/or interrupting each other.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
SonicX580, sometimes I really can't tell if you're serious or not.

When two hitboxes overlap, they often "clash" (aka "clang"), and often this resets the characters to a neutral state. Like get two Sonics face-to-face, try to jab at the same time... their fists collide and the attack is totally interrupted. This has nothing to do with invincibility, it's just moves nullifying and/or interrupting each other.
Nooooooooooo
Actually I know about clang it when 2 attacks hit each other and they cancel each other out or the stronger attack by passes the other attack and still does damage also I wasn't being serious.

Top Bottom