• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I've read the entire thread over the last couple of days and I'm loving the analysis. Is this the place where we will post our Kamui finds when he comes out?
Possibly, although I wouldn't be surprised to see that discussion moved to a different thread in the process (a separate Metagame thread for instance, although perhaps this thread could just be given the Meta tag, but I don't know how the thread tagging sytem works).

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
I hope we can stay here for at least the first week o: I want to say 'HAH YOU WERE WRONG!' to a certain someone >_>

jk

But I want to discuss Corrin things with the same people I've been speculating with for the past month. This is the first time I've actually waited and analyzed a character this much before his/her release. I usually don't care and play when the character is released, but something about Corrin interests me.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I've read the entire thread over the last couple of days and I'm loving the analysis. Is this the place where we will post our Kamui finds when he comes out?
I certainly hope so, it's been fun speculating with you fellows.Also thanks Soulless!
Allowing for DL to stick to walls, and taking a stage with flat sides, how would you rate Corrin's recovery? I say a 7/10, right up there with Captain Falcon. This is, of course, assuming (and hoping) that DL functions as a sort of extreme wall jump.

D

Deleted member

I certainly hope so, it's been fun speculating with you fellows.Also thanks Soulless!
Allowing for DL to stick to walls, and taking a stage with flat sides, how would you rate Corrin's recovery? I say a 7/10, right up there with Captain Falcon. This is, of course, assuming (and hoping) that DL functions as a sort of extreme wall jump.
Is the rating you gave with respect to recovery distance only?

Because Captain Falcon's recovery is actually rather mediocre considering how easy it is to edgeguard, most characters can just go the ledge -> drop off or simply walk off the stage and then put out a hitbox (repeating this more than once if necessary) and that equals a dead Captain Falcon.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, looks I might be able to test some combos quick with a friend on launch to make up for being awful depressing in this thread. (Reminder that lvl9 bots fall for phony combos and the combo counter is trash. Also if we get data off the server like with Cloud and his patch it won't be "complete" and some moves can look much faster or slower as a result.)

Not that I'm going to be any less pessimistic on launch day but yaknow. :upsidedown:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577

Because Captain Falcon's recovery is actually rather mediocre considering how easy it is to edgeguard, most characters can just go the ledge -> drop off or simply walk off the stage and then put out a hitbox (repeating this more than once if necessary) and that equals a dead Captain Falcon.
Yup distance only.
I know how easy it is to edge guard the Falcon, because as Jiggly I just walk off and Nair.
I am a pathetic judge of distance, but it seems as though Dragon Ascent gives almost as much height as Dolphin Slash.
Of course , if it had the height of Roy's Blazer, it wouldn't make sense, seeing how Corrin has wings.
What do you think people?

meowmere

Smash Cadet
Yup distance only.
I know how easy it is to edge guard the Falcon, because as Jiggly I just walk off and Nair.
I am a pathetic judge of distance, but it seems as though Dragon Ascent gives almost as much height as Dolphin Slash.
Of course , if it had the height of Roy's Blazer, it wouldn't make sense, seeing how Corrin has wings.
What do you think people?
I'm too lazy right now to find the post again where Corrin's recovery was shown on Umbra Clock Tower. However, I do think it will go (almost) as far as Dolphin Slash. Also, like I stated waaaay earlier in this thread, I don't think Dragon Ascent can be used for effectively killing your opponent, as it seems to send them to the sides rather than upwards. Also, I don't know if you guys have already noticed, but the move seems to have quite a bit of startup to it. That may worsen Corrin's recovery in terms of savely getting back on the stage. At least we know it clips to the ledge, which is pretty much one of most important aspects of a character's recovery. Or at least that's what I think.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Uh... Is it just me or does it look usafe on hit against the Pits in the first gif? They're not even fast fallers.

Hey, at least we have a ballpark for Corrin's fall speed. This I think is less likely to change... The Pit's are slightly on the floaty side, placing 35th ranking from fastest to slowest. Corrin's definitely not combo food.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Uh... Is it just me or does it look usafe on hit against the Pits in the first gif? They're not even fast fallers.
Probably. It doesn't look like it'll be much more useful than as a recovery move.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Probably. It doesn't look like it'll be much more useful than as a recovery move.
Yup. Pretty much like Climhazzard for on stage fighting.
Will it be able to stage spike though?

Noro~

Smash Cadet
I can see it's use as a punish tool against a missed Upair /UpB by ZSS or Rosaluma near the upper blastzone if it carries them far enough upwards. Though this would be highly situational. I hoped for this move to be a good oos move due to its great range to both sides, but the startup seems just horrendous.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I can see it's use as a punish tool against a missed Upair /UpB by ZSS or Rosaluma near the upper blastzone if it carries them far enough upwards. Though this would be highly situational.
It seems to have mainly horizontal knockback, though, and a low one at that. Uair or even Bair would probably better for that.

Wolfheart77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wolfheart77
Maybe it'll have super armor before hit if used on the ground, like Roy's Blazer? That would make it a safe OOS option.

I know I've hit people out of their moves with an OOS Blazer before. It catches them off guard if they aren't expecting it (or don't know Roy has super armor)

Last edited:

Noro~

Smash Cadet
It seems to have mainly horizontal knockback, though, and a low one at that. Uair or even Bair would probably better for that.
You're right about that, of course, but I meant more in the way of carrying them through the upper blastzone before the final hit knocks them away. Kinda like Megamans Upair.
Superarmor would make this an even more viable option, though admitedly this is a bit far-fetched.

Corrin and Bayonetta will be shown tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/693394209085091840?s=09
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/43drnw/smashbrosjp_bayonetta_and_kamui_will_be/

This is exciting. This means that they are finished as characters then. More footage to dissect.
Oh boy, that'd mean that the release could be on the first days of february. Prepare your e-shop cards, Corrin is coming!

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Well, looks I might be able to test some combos quick with a friend on launch to make up for being awful depressing in this thread. (Reminder that lvl9 bots fall for phony combos and the combo counter is trash. Also if we get data off the server like with Cloud and his patch it won't be "complete" and some moves can look much faster or slower as a result.)

Not that I'm going to be any less pessimistic on launch day but yaknow. :upsidedown:
I think i battle another CPU then...
The cpu9 that i battle manages to avoid any combo that they could avoid with a air dodge, but they really didn't used DI, so i think CPU are good tests to combos (to calculate the hitstun)

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
oh, finally some information on Corrin, tomorrow! Cannot wait for it, I hope that they'll announce a release date after the show.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
today at 7:15 CST, actually
oops, should have clarified that I am from Europe, Time-zone wise and stuff. Still, that only means that I can wake up Sunday morning and check out some new footage, so that's amazing (hehe "foot"age)

thanks for clearing that up, though!

Btw, I am pretty hype for DFS, even more than for Dragon Lunge. I just love the entire visual theme of the Teeth ridden hand, great looking stuff!

D

Deleted member

oops, should have clarified that I am from Europe, Time-zone wise and stuff.
If you're in the same timezone as me it's 2am(GMT+1), or 1am for GMT. Pretty late unfortunately. And it's on niconico, I don't know how we can watch this. It's not free if there is a lot of people watching or some sort?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think i battle another CPU then...
The cpu9 that i battle manages to avoid any combo that they could avoid with a air dodge, but they really didn't used DI, so i think CPU are good tests to combos (to calculate the hitstun)
CPUs are okay for the most part, but they'll fall for certain fringe combos that humans can easily escape without DI.

Basically I'm saying to not go screaming to the rooftops if you find a really good combo/infinite/kill confirm because it's probably something a CPU let you do.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
If you're in the same timezone as me it's 2am(GMT+1), or 1am for GMT. Pretty late unfortunately. And it's on niconico, I don't know how we can watch this. It's not free if there is a lot of people watching or some sort?
Maybe it'll be streamed by someone? :d

I'll be keeping a close eye on if DL beats shield. DFS is easy to follow up or not. But last, but not least (in fact the most important), GRABS.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
well my hopes lie in somebody ripping it and publishing the gameplay on youtube

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Well, Corrim may be able to act after his recovery move. He doesn't flash and he falls just like he does when he normally descends.
LOL WTF. You're actually right about him not flashing. I still refuse to believe he won't be in freefall though. No way

Edit: In the Cloud trailer, Cloud also doesn't flash. So maybe they just edited it out for whatever reason

https://youtu.be/iWwKS2oSBek?t=114 1:54

Here is how he falls normally https://youtu.be/_qj8O07Kg_I?t=263 4:22 And in the same video pause at 4:21, I just noticed Female and Male Corrin have different idol poses.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Fellow theory crafters! No need to worry we can all watch the smash tournament on Nico Nico. I've had an account for years and I just logged in and able to watch the broadcast, I can't wait.

Another way to edge-guard captain falcon's recovery is to intentionally get hit is by his up-b, tech the stage spike, then give captain falcon a return to sender spike or use an aerial to send him further from the stage. This works because captain falcon will still be in recoil from his successful up-b animation guaranteeing a free hit.

I guess Kamui will be coming out next week or the week after that. At first you guys had me fooled thinking there would be a mini-direct to showcase Bayonetta and Kamui more.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Broadcast is starting 6 hours and 56 mins from this post.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, Corrim may be able to act after his recovery move. He doesn't flash and he falls just like he does when he normally descends.
That's not his normal falling animation... The trailer seems to have all the effects disabled. Again, it's something they probably would of done in the trailer if it was a thing.

Edit: Er, ment to post this like ten minutes ago...

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I have a windows 7 computer and I have no idea how to "rip" or record a broadcast. If ya'll really want it, mind pointing me in the right direction?

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
LOL WTF. You're actually right about him not flashing. I still refuse to believe he won't be in freefall though. No way

Edit: In the Cloud trailer, Cloud also doesn't flash. So maybe they just edited it out for whatever reason

https://youtu.be/iWwKS2oSBek?t=114 1:54

Here is how he falls normally https://youtu.be/_qj8O07Kg_I?t=263 4:22 And in the same video pause at 4:21, I just noticed Female and Male Corrin have different idol poses.
They have the same idle pose literally seconds later though. It was just an animation at 4:21.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I guess that means I'll have to watch the archive for the PAX Arena tournament. Go hometown Texas!

Can't watch two tourneys at once.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Just use recording software like Camtasia. Instructions are even included in this one.
Open Broadcaster Software is another good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom