• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
As a Pit main, I always used smash stick cause you know... frame 6 upsmash, frame 5 down smash, and frame 10 forward smash. And his tilts didn't warrant a change to tilt stick. I'm also not really into perfect pivoting, at least not yet. For me it's gonna depend how much I'll use Corrin's smash attacks.

I won't be here tomorrow for the initial discussion because I'll be studying for a test I have Thursday. But this weekend I'll be in the lab with you guys. Going to a tournament called TGC Saturday here in Houston that Zero, ESAM, etc will be attending and plan to be using all Corrin. I'll let you guys know how I do. I'm only like a top 30 player here which is aight for a huge city, so I don't expect to make top top 16 or top 32 at a tournament Zero is attending with my baby Corrin, but I'll still give it a shot!
That's where I stand on this "minute" issue too. Ergo I planned to have one thread so we could post our finds and continue the discussion we have ongoing and another thread that could possibly be made down the line (maybe a month or two after today?) that could all the concrete facts about Kamui.

Zult Zult Where is TGC? I remember hearing about it on the Houston Smash 4 facebook page. If it's not to far I'd love to go. I bet it's in another city right?
you two are from Houston too? Sweet.

Zoyah

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking tilts for c stick would be best for corrin, mainly since D-Tilt oos and walk up D-tilt seem like corrin's best method of racking up damage.
Walking into Down Tilt is no issue, but I think the OOS option may convince me to try. Though I think N-Air OOS could be the best with our current info.

Tilt Stick, IMO. Corrin's Tilts all seem solid, and having easier access to them is a big boon for the character. Also, I'd say give Tilt Stick at least a week before changing your mind. It felt unnatural to me when I first tried it, but now I wouldn't go into battle without it.
I can do all of the tilts fine, but I was just wondering for overall optimisation for the character. I think I'm going to stick with smash for a while to get acquainted with the character then try to change controls. I also played with the tilt stick for about a month and nothing felt natural, I guess I'm just too used to default lol.

I think I'll be labbing mostly low percent combos and kill setups tomorrow (UK) and then hopefully be playing some actual matches. I'll fill you guys in if I find anything guaranteed/good :)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
He has situational kill set ups (like most characters do) and on average, has trouble closing out stocks since he doesn't have consistent kill setups. He's definitely well rounded and a fairly strong, but sometimes struggles at landing the KO... come on, this is basic Pit knowledge.

Then again, you're incredibly biased towards Pit so this is expected.
Nair comes out f4 and is only -5 on shield... Earth gets it all the time, and it's not just against scrubs. Pit's rewarded for pushing the opponent back with Fthrow's kill power, meaning he actually gets it unlike Mario and his Bthrow.

Compared to like Ryu or Sheik he has trouble killing. Compared to mid tier and below, not so much.

I'm picky about this stuff because there was a freakin' ton of misinformation on the Pits for the fist couple of months... Which resulted in them being pretty underrated until last patch and Genesis.

As a Pit main, I always used smash stick cause you know... frame 6 upsmash, frame 5 down smash, and frame 10 forward smash. And his tilts didn't warrant a change to tilt stick.
Actually tilt stick is preferred on Pit because you can do sliding jabs from a walk and then you do U/Dsmashes with grab because grab doesn't charge them at all. I'll let you bring it up on the Pit boards rather then drone on here...

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
You've actually got the time confused if you guys are in Texas. The maintenance schedule says that it will run from 4:50 pm PST to 6:30 pm PST, which is actually 2 hours behind CST, so it won't be happening until 6:50 PM CST to 8:30 PM CST, for EST that'll be bumped back another hour from 7:50 PM to 9:30 PM, lol.
Welp you caught me there, I guess I got confused after converting EST time so much. Thanks for clearing that up.

I believe Pit is fun, so why are we mentioning Pit again? I'm lost.

Ah tilts, I just leave it on smash, I love using it for when I need to get a smash out as soon as possible. Also I played Pit since brawl and love hin smash 4, feels like an average fighter to me. I can land my tilt kills just fine using the control stick. If only I didn't play so many ppl in smash I would still play Pit, all I have trouble with is landing his spike (feels like's marth's but harder for me).

Zult Zult The tourney is not far from where I live (40 mins), I might finally go!

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I believe Pit is fun, so why are we mentioning Pit again? I'm lost.
People were complaining about me not seeing any easy ways to kill with Corrin and made a rather off comparison to Pit's killing ability, then Zult was talking about Pit C-Stick stuff and I pointed out we've moved on from the smash stick.

Then I forgot to say something mean about Corrin to make it relevant. :awesome:

But anyway... Just short of my friend forgetting the eshop card wouldn't put it past him or some gigantic Pit changes I'll have plenty of time to test out some combos you guys find tonight.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Nair comes out f4 and is only -5 on shield... Earth gets it all the time, and it's not just against scrubs. Pit's rewarded for pushing the opponent back with Fthrow's kill power, meaning he actually gets it unlike Mario and his Bthrow.

Compared to like Ryu or Sheik he has trouble killing. Compared to mid tier and below, not so much.

I'm picky about this stuff because there was a freakin' ton of misinformation on the Pits for the fist couple of months... Which resulted in them being pretty underrated until last patch and Genesis.
Count the number of times Earth manages to pull this off against ZeRo.

&

Count the number of times Earth manages to pull this off against SlayerZ

But to keep things on topic, your argument doesn't hold any water and it's absolutely baffling that you think Pit (your own main) doesn't struggle at getting the KO.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Enough with the redundant dragon puns lol. Perhaps we can make it fire emblem related too?

For meta game/moveset discussion it can be "Preparing to Advance". Matchup discussion can be "Swords at Dawn"

I really like "way of the dragon". Maybe it should be for advanced tech?

I'll take charge of the matchup discussion thread.
I demand puns. You give the people what they want, puns

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie

&

But to keep things on topic, your argument doesn't hold any water and it's absolutely baffling that you think Pit (your own main) doesn't struggle at getting the KO.
I wouldn't say he struggles, be he isn't exactly killing at 70% either. Up smash kills early for how fast it comes out. Side b reads. And gimps. Not to mention set ups. I would say f throw kills too, but sometimes that things fails me >_> Maybe I'm just used to Pit. Someone I think struggles to KO is Fox. He will never kill you if you don't drop your shield at the wrong time.

And to make this post relevant, I dunno if I would say Corrin would have trouble killing. If all else fails, at least he'll have up throw at 150.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say he struggles, be he isn't exactly killing at 70% either. Up smash kills early for how fast it comes out. Side b reads. And gimps. Not to mention set ups. I would say f throw kills too, but sometimes that things fails me >_> Maybe I'm just used to Pit. Someone I think struggles to KO is Fox. He will never kill you if you don't drop your shield at the wrong time.

And to make this post relevant, I dunno if I would say Corrin would have trouble killing. If all else fails, at least he'll have up throw at 150.
But Fox has solid KO set ups, strong aerials and good smash attacks...

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

&

Way to cherry pick... Sheik's oppressive and ZeRo's, yaknow, ZeRo. Not sure if Peach could escape the combo and it's not a common matchup anyway. Better played safe then to take a Peach Fair to the face.

Pit's good at cornering people between his good mobility and giant lingering hitboxes. Dsmash being as fast as it is plus the power on the second hit helps a ton too. Try rolling behind and getting hit by it, especially by the time Fthrow kills, just puts you in the same position on the other side of the stage but with another 12%. Jab ends fast enough for mixups but not true combos, but at the same time burning your jumps against Pit is a really bad idea. Fair's safe when spaced (can't perfect shield it either) and has good knockback, killing a little bit later then Fthrow.

Another thing to consider is Pit's durability. Out of the relevant characters, if his stocks don't last the longest on average, he's pretty close. Benefits heavily from rage, hard to combo and chase in the air, just a point behind Mario in weight, and very hard to gimp with his armored Fspecial. Arrows help him escape all kinds of bad situations too. I mean, Mac doesn't have major probelms with killing (on FD anyway) but when a Bthrow > Bair can kill him at zero it's rendered moot.

With Corrin I don't see how he can kill anybody in his face outside of a read, and then they're not going to even be max strength because of the tippers. If his Uthrow is just like Marth's, well, that's not so good. Seems heavier then Marth so at least it'll be easier to see that percent but that's about it. Dtilt > Uair may be his saving grace, assuming blah blah blahdy blah.

But Fox has solid KO set ups, strong aerials and good smash attacks...
People tend to knock Fox (and Ryu somewhat) down a peg because, like Zult said, he can't really kill a shielding opponent. Of course you can't win with a shield, but yaknow.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
Way to cherry pick... Sheik's oppressive and ZeRo's, yaknow, ZeRo. Not sure if Peach could escape the combo and it's not a common matchup anyway. Better played safe then to take a Peach Fair to the face.
So that match should be discounted because it features the best character and the best player? Don't be ridiculous, it's even more relevant because of that particular combination. In any case, I used footage from the Peach set to also illustrate my point because I knew you'd try attribute that set to "ZeRo being ZeRo" and you still managed wiggle your way out of that so I guess there's no real point in discussing this.

With Corrin I don't see how he can kill anybody in his face outside of a read, and then they're not going to even be max strength because of the tippers. If his Uthrow is just like Marth's, well, that's not so good. Seems heavier then Marth so at least it'll be easier to see that percent but that's about it. Dtilt > Uair may be his saving grace, assuming blah blah blahdy blah.
Stop acting like you're some authority on a character that hasn't even been released yet. You barely have a grasp on your own main, let alone an unreleased DLC character.

People tend to knock Fox (and Ryu somewhat) down a peg because, like Zult said, he can't really kill a shielding opponent. Of course you can't win with a shield, but yaknow.
Ryu has trouble against shielded opponents? And you're discounting Fox's ability to kill because he has trouble against shield when he has true combo routes from nair and dair into Upsmash? Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
User was warned for this post
So that match should be discounted because it features the best character and the best player? Don't be ridiculous, it's even more relevant because of that particular combination. In any case, I used footage from the Peach set to also illustrate my point because I knew you'd try attribute that set to "ZeRo being ZeRo" and you still managed wiggle your way out of that so I guess there's no real point in discussing this.

Stop acting like you're some authority on a character that hasn't even been released yet. You barely have a grasp on your own main, let alone an unreleased DLC character.

Ryu has trouble against shielded opponents? And you're discounting Fox's ability to kill because he has trouble against shield when he has true combo routes from nair and dair into Upsmash? Jesus Christ.
If you don't know if a combo will work and you're in a tournament as stacked as this you don't go for things you don't know will work. I mean, really, not a hard concept to understand.

Stop acting like you know any better then I do.

I said that Fox and Ryu have a bit of a weakness to shields. Went out of my way to point out that you can't win with shielding alone... Their buttons are still better then most characters. Killing isn't the problem, killing shielding opponents is.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
People lets STOP talking to Lancer please, he is only here to see a way to beat Kamui, I think that if he could, he would make his recover worst than LM and make all his smashes kill only at 900%, so please stop this discussion. (Dont even come with Rage lancer because I know why you are here)

Now to be happy: well countdown to Kamui, we will see that he is a awesome character that will beat Lancer at least one time

Zoyah

Smash Cadet
How do you think the neutral will play (in general, not matchup specific, just things to go for) with Corrin's kit?

I doubt s/he'll be very aggressive and mainly wait for an opportunity for a DL, Down Tilt or an approach with Neutral Air or Forward Air. Though I think once Corrin gets that one opening it will be a chance for big damage from any of the moves.

I was also thinking with the DFS projectile that it's uses will change a lot with the range of the opponent. Short range will be used more sparingly if they miss a move then you punish with the shot and bite. Mid ranges could be something like ZSS' blaster to where we have a bigger opportunity for a follow up. Long range could have similar use to mid ranges except using DL Front Kick to close the gap between the opponent quicker? I don't know just some quick thoughts on the projectile.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
How do you think the neutral will play (in general, not matchup specific, just things to go for) with Corrin's kit?
Probably footsies-oriented, like Marth. In other words, controlling space with Omega Yato and Dragon Fang attacks. They seem to have the tools to do so.

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
What LordShade said, but also we'll have that Bair which could have some interesting applications in neutral.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
What LordShade said, but also we'll have that Bair which could have some interesting applications in neutral.
Fsmash and Dragon Lunge could also have the makings for a decent bait and punish game if the numbers turn out as good as we're hoping.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I don't really understand the need to convince LancerStaff about Kamui being viable. Kamui has potential to be very viable in competitive play. If it's his opinion that she's not, prove him wrong when Kamui drops tonight. Otherwise, let him be. That's why people have different mains. As a Palutena main, I understand that concept quite well.

Anyway, Kamui looks very interesting as a character. I'm thinking of using her Bair as an edge tool simply because it's knockback is decent, and it pushes her away. And the amount options you can use with DL is staggering.

I'm thinking of combos like Nair > Fair > DL(Air Ver.) or (this might not work, but still would be fun to try) SH Nair > SH Nair > DL(Pinned Ver.) > Forward Kick or Back Kick.

Will just have wait to and see.

Zoyah

Smash Cadet
Probably footsies-oriented, like Marth. In other words, controlling space with Omega Yato and Dragon Fang attacks. They seem to have the tools to do so.
Yep. I kind of want Corrin to have a good dash and foxtrot so you can be a bit more specific with where you place your attacks in a quicker pace, but you never know. I've been seeing people say pivot f-tilt looks good and I can definitely agree since it could stuff out aerial approaches and things of the sort.

I've been stuck on thinking of possible applications on b-air. It had an autocancel window from short hop as far as we know, correct? Maybe we could use it to propel us forward into d-tilt range and if they shield then try to run up grab or something then we already have it covered from having the autocancel. Though I don't think something like that would work more than twice on a player that actively adapts. Definitely going to look into b-air too, it seems like a fun and practical move.

Fsmash and Dragon Lunge could also have the makings for a decent bait and punish game if the numbers turn out as good as we're hoping.
The options from using DL seemed really quick so that has a chance of working. Even then the kicks put you quite far very quickly so I'm not sure how punishable they'd be unless they'd have already set themselves at the distance of it. Forward Smash seems good for threatening the opponent and making them slow down to play at your pace.

I'm excited to see how all of this turns out!

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
My time zone (along with Zult's) is CST aka Central Time Zone. The maintenance starts at 2:30 PM for us, and ends at 4:30 PM. Hope I cleared the fog up for ya'.

Raziek Raziek You here? Mind helping me with creating a "sticky" thread since they are the first thing users see on character forums?

(If anyone knows how to get the attention of a mod, that would help a lot).
Houston. You should go, amazing tournaments ran very quickly. Almost guaranteed 300+ entrants, practically a regional every month. https://www.facebook.com/events/660135544089171/

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry guys, that derail was completely my bad.

Not gonna waste time with pointless arguments with amateurs anymore.

Corrin's coming out in just a few short hours, and I can't wait to really examine this character in detail. No point in fretting about pre-release stuff; the next few hours is when the magic really happens.

Last edited:

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss
Im so excited to see what corrin can do! just a bit more hours and we will have our hands on her/him. !Oh and Raziek Raziek Will this thread be locked as soon as corrins released or in like a few hours after?

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Good bye friends... i see you in Corrin social and the MU and combos threads
I'm gonna miss all the regulars in this thread :c even Lancer

Edit: They are released!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom