• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Move Set Discussion - MOVE OF THE DAY = Dair

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
Before i start talking about the move, i have to talk about your post: Full charge has less knockback than 1:50 charge?

Wario Waft is tecnally wario's signature move, is has intenst knockback when fully charged and is a great subsittute for corkscrew recovery.

However, a picture from smashbros.com made me think he farted fire:

It is also great for breaking smashballs open!

however it has one weakness, high elevation. If used on a high platform he will star KO

P.S double jump to bike hop to wario waft to corkscrew is one of the best recoveries in the game!

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
Before i start talking about the move, i have to talk about your post: Full charge has less knockback than 1:50 charge?

Wario Waft is tecnally wario's signature move, is has intenst knockback when fully charged and is a great subsittute for corkscrew recovery.

However, a picture from smashbros.com made me think he farted fire:

It is also great for breaking smashballs open!

however it has one weakness, high elevation. If used on a high platform he will star KO

P.S double jump to bike hop to wario waft to corkscrew is one of the best recoveries in the game!
The uncharged waft, the stage before it's fully charged, has much better knockback. However the fully charged has much better damage.

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
no, if im wrong sorry but to you Blarfenzo , White Pikmin is saying 1:50 = 110 seconds which is the full waft, maybe 3god timed it a mili-second early or once again i am wrong

3GOD

Smash Ace
no, if im wrong sorry but to you Blarfenzo , White Pikmin is saying 1:50 = 110 seconds which is the full waft, maybe 3god timed it a mili-second early or once again i am wrong
The 1:50 is approximate, but it takes a little more than 1:50 to fully charge. I'll get the exact # of frames from the start of a level zero waft to the fully charged waft level tomorrow, and finally people can stop debating on how long it takes to fully charge...or we can hope at least.

It doesn't really matter, the point is that the Waft is strongest (knockback-wise) just before it's fully charged.

Popertop

Smash Champion
there is a use for the full waft.
In a video of JL's Wario vs some guy's Snake he starts a combo at 24% and it goes, Clap -> Clap -> Waft -> Clap, killing the Snake off the top. The two claps built up damage and sent him high, and the waft from below caught him just after his airdodge and the final clap to kill off the top. This is something we should keep in mind if we can't land a waft before then, or just to have another use for full waft. Another tool to bait and punish air dodge and help kill off the top.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Using the waft under an opponent works well. Once had did mindgames under a Falco, where i Fell off the FD stage and then Falco was at the edge of the platform waiting for me, and then i used the waft to kill him. It's one of my favorite Wario moves of all time.

3GOD

Smash Ace
True to my word, here is the EXACT CHARGE TIME FOR THE WAFT:

From the start of any waft (frame 1 is the first frame of the waft animation) to the start of the brown blinking (indicating full charge) is 6697 frames, which is about 1:51.6 seconds.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Waft for Wario is like (the new) rest for Jiggly. You can win a match without it, but if you land it, it makes things so much easier. And unlike Jiggly & Luigi's low percent killers you're not helpless if you miss. Even though I can only use it every minute or so, it's probably my favorite Wario move. And that's saying a lot, seeing how much I love his other moves.

It's a Dair, Uair, Nair, Up B, (U,D,F)smash, anyway you want to use it, it works. It's the best (at least the most versatile) kill move in the game IMO, although you are of course limited in using it.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Jab Combo:
Maximum Damage: 13% (first hit 6%, second hit 7%)
First Attack Frame: Frame 8
Knockback: 2nd hit KO’s Mario at ~220% (at the center of FD with no DI)

I don't know what to say about the Jab Combo really. It's not that fast as far as jabs are concerned, but I guess it can set up for other things. I personally just Fsmash or Grab usually if I'm close enough to jab.

I don't use it that much, but it does seem to come in handy from time to time. I really can't put my finger on it, but it does have it's uses.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
jab to grab or bite are its best uses but too bad the jab is really slow. The second hit is decent though because it pops them up into the air.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I throw Jabs in there to mix it up, or for a different way to punish dodge that isn't bite (plus the jab combo sets up for more). Since you can delay the second jab, you can usually hit spotdodgers w/ the second hit... you can also use it to initiate jab > ftilts or jab > fsmashes, as opposed to the generally more useful jab > grab... honestly it's great for mindgames and to mix up/unstale your moves.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
double jab leads to some brutal ****, lets just leave it at that.

Seriously though, its a garunteed uair on almost all characters if you get it off. Not saying its exactly easy to get off, but with its slow speed you could trick someone into dropping their shield when they get hit from the first jab. I actually think the first jab is useful, but you guys wouldn't wanna know why (*COUGH*EX. Doctor Mario jab ******COUGH*)

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
not at all, many characters will get hit if the combo is started when there from 0-20% but after that, a lot of those characters wont get hit past that.
at low % jab rising neutral air chase repeat

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The Jab sets up an opportunity to land a U-air. It isnt one of the greatest moves, but I use it not only because Wario looks cool when he is punching, but to perform possible combos.
Wario man doing the jab is amazing.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've never done the jab w/ Wario-Man (I always have to bike at least once, and then spend the rest airborne... it's too tempting)... what's so good about it?

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
Id say that the jab combo isn't that great, but with wario man, its great for racking up damage.

your better off using chomp if your opponents are that close, considering they almost have the same hitbox

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
with wario man you just meteor smash and up air until there dead, they can never run away and no matter how much they dodge you will always get them because wario man is too fast, its basically spam fast

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the rest of you, the jab is sometimes useful as normal Wario for popping the opponent in the air but not much else. As Wario Man though, its awesome for racking up damage because its much faster.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I use it once in a while, I just wish it was faster. You usually have better options, Warioman always has better options although I guess you can use it to pop them into the air, and then totally anialate them with your flying air moves.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Dsmash:
Maximum Damage: 14%
First Attack Frame: Frame 8 (behind Wario), Frame 12 (in front of Wario)
Knockback: KO’s Mario at 138% (at the center of FD with no DI)

I don't really use this move intentionally. But on the rare occasion that I accidentally Dsmash, it always seems to work out somehow. It's really a bad move though since people hit by it usually have time to come back and attack while Wario is still spinning around.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think this move is highly underrated... if you throw it out at mid-high percents it has a GREAT trajectory for setting up gimps (it sends them sort of horizontally downwards), and at higher percents even if the first hit misses, the second hit send them far enough away to where you can't be punished. It's also generally an unexpected move, so using it intelligently almost always pays off for me >_<

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
The weakest of Wario's smashes, but it adds a very nice mind game, and stops those stupid opponent's that keep rolling.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I use it out of shield on some occasion like if i shield a D3s dash attack since there is some bad lag on it.
But why not Bite, grab, Fsmash? Why on earth would you choose Dsmash to punish? Using it as a high percent kill move I can get, but otherwise it's a pretty bad move.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Decent move. Seems to last most of the animation but once you shield it the hitbox is absorbed and it doesn't hit anymore lol.

Decent but do this against ddd and you die.

Popertop

Smash Champion
On Luigi's mansion you can Uthrow in to the ceiling, utilt, dsmash to send them out. It's pretty good percent but I'm sure there are much better combos/options than that.
It has it's uses though.

Goochf1111

Smash Cadet
i disagree with the crowd... i feel like downsmash is valuable at times. Although it should not be used when the opponent is under 80% because they will be able to hit u back, the Dsmash can be a effective killer, and is the fastest smash move out of shield (especially if ur your fsmash is diminished). It sends them at a low horizontal trackectory and can outwit spot dodgers. This move is worth it if u know how to use it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This isnt a move that I rely on, mainly because if it misses, you are vulnerable. Though it helped me a few times when i done it, it's not a move to rely on. Even a Short Jump Neutral A works better than this.
I do use it for taunting though, after killing someone, but not much.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Bair:
Maximum Damage: 11%
First Attack Frame: Frame 9
Landing Lag: 30 Frames
Knockback: KO’s Mario at ~160% (at the center of FD with no DI)

I like Bair somewhat, but never use it close to the ground. If you end up landing without the auto cancel, you'll suffer half a second of lag (major lag in smash). However, I find that Bair can actually be pretty useful in edgeguarding. It tends to be fresh and has a bit more knockback than Nair/Fair, so it can be handy for knocking the opponent away from the stage as they attempt to recover.

Goochf1111

Smash Cadet
the bair is one of those moves that i think seperates the good warios from the amazing warios. It is possible to short hop bair and land with no lag. You can do this is succession with fair, nair, upair too. IT is super important because it has the largest hitbox, and most priority of his aerials, so u can stay safe and whoop ***.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Hits in an arc at where his head starts, all the way down and slightly below his head. The best edgeguarding aerial that you can land straight from an edgehog. Decent power, and the animation is pretty funny lol.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Bair edgegaurds pretty hard. Ledgedrop bair ***** most recoveries (especially cfal/ganon/fox/falco) and its possible to bair> turn around grab or bair > fsmash at some percents. Not much to say about it, but its pretty good imo.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think bair might have sex-kick like properties, in that it has higher priority at the beginning of the move. It can cancel many projectiles and I somehow managed to bair through a fully charged 130% aurasphere once. It also has nice range compared to all of Wario's other moves.

Popertop

Smash Champion
lol wow, that's crazy.
we really need that action replay stuff so we can see all of his moves in detail.
but yes, I found myself relying on it for spacing a lot.

Top Bottom