• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Move Set Discussion - #10: D Air, Foot Flurry***

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is kind of deceiving on its range, its graphics actually are longer than the actual hitbox. Still has good range, but be aware of it.

The lack of crouch canceling and the addition of the auto-sweetspot has also made this move less useful than in Melee. Still good, but slower than Ftilt.

Situational imo.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Haha, I personally would've called it tail flick but uppercut sounds a lot more Captain Falconish.
*Hangs back to let other people do the analysis*

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This move is super amazing.

Hits very low and very early, but doesn't reach as high as it used to in Melee, even though the tail stretches further (go figure). The tail is also quite slow in getting to its maximum height, so try not to intercept aerials with it too much. Excellent for starting up or continuing low percent combos and for massacring predicted spotdodges or airdodges. For combos, this works best after a forward tilt or back air...something that lifts the opponent off the ground. You don't want to do this to a grounded opponent simply because shielding the move is far too easy for how long it lasts and you will get punished. Once again, one of the best uses for up tilt is to beat out predicted airdodges. Especially out of an empty short hop, it'll keep your opponent airborne for just a little while longer.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
This is a great move, don't get me wrong. But it gets outshone by every other move available in the situations it can be used in. To begin with, it shouldn't really be used to stop people coming from the air because usmash does the job better. It can be used after a bair if the opponent isn't in a good place for the usual ftilt (which isn't really often). If the move had any range in front of Yoshi or at least amounted to a little swipe over his head, it might be more useful, but as it is it's pretty situational. I don't really use it much so Shiri would probably know more about its uses.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: No, I agree, it's hard to fit in and isn't an all-round move.

But darnit, where it does fit in, that **** is so good, haha. I've been trying to work on my tilt game and this is really really growing on me, especially against heavies.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed unless I have up to jump off I never really use it but it is something good to do in place of the Up Smash to keep it strong but even though I don't use it I know I should

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I've noticed unless I have up to jump off I never really use it but it is something good to do in place of the Up Smash to keep it strong but even though I don't use it I know I should
Yeah, the only use I could think of off the top of my head was stale move negation so that upsmash can still kill, but the eggs do that better so I didn't think there was really any point. I guess I'll do some testing to see where I can fit it in.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Move Five is F Smash!

Discuss...

Terribly sorry about the late update, I've been having some personal problems, so if I ever miss a day, rest assured I've not forgotten this thread.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's forward smash is a pretty slow killing move. Not really too great, I usually just use it with the DR if someone is coming in at me to dodge them and slam em

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I can't spam this against Marth anymore and it makes my cry. :_:

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Fsmash is one of his most powerful KO moves, so it makes sense that he'll have trouble landing it. Usually I go for it if the opponent has some landing lag off an aerial or if they're about to land and they're using an aerial that isn't too rangy. Overall, though it has some of the most KO potential, you're very unlikely to land it. Often you're better off using the other KO moves...
This, by the way, helps contribute to Yoshi's problems killing.

Depster

Smash Champion
I like the pullback before he headbutts, and I like how it owns face if you can get it in on someone, and I also like what seems to be a small amount of super armor (lolh4x?) but it's just so hard to fit in somewhere unless, like Jumpman said, if you DR it.

Defender

Smash Rookie
It is my opinion that fsmash is a pretty decent move. I'll agree that it is hard to land, but the fact that it is hard to land also keeps it fresh, meaning that it can do exactly what it's supposed to do, namely, KO people. I find that one of the best ways to use it is to take advantage of the fact that Yoshi moves his head backwards during the wind-up. This (possibly combined with the stutter-step) allows Yoshi to dodge an opponent's attack and retaliate with one of his strongest moves. It can be particularly effective if the opponent does not come in towards you deep enough with an approach.

Plus, Yoshi's fsmash looks awesome and is very satisfying to connect with. (OK, so that really doesn't matter, but I still like it. :) )

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
The... the name... I can't... I don't understand.

Like pretty much every other dsmash, Yoshi's is at its best when it's punishing a rolling dodge, or something to that effect. Note that there's a good amount of ending lag if you whiff and the opponent is still in front of you, so don't be surprised if you get counter-attacked. Also, the backward hit deals 1% less than the forward hit.
The interesting thing about this attack is how it interacts with fsmash. The two seem to pick up on each other's weaknesses. For example, dsmash comes out much quicker than fsmash, and has a tiny, tiny bit more range, but it doesn't KO as well.
At very high percents, this move eventually gains KO potential. However, if a match is dragging on and you can't get a kill, and the other character has an average or worse recovery, it's worth using because of the more horizontal trajectory it sends the opponent out yet. It's usually just easier to land a downB at higher percents, though.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
I find myself using DSmash to punish rolls more than anything, however, its more of a panic move. I prefer to use Ftilt to setup into other moves as it is just as fast if not faster.

Not a bad move, but again situational and without crouch cancelling, not Yoshi's bread and butter smash anymore.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
I use it when my opponent is rollign around me. Not too useful, but it can give you some breathign room.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Move Seven is U Smash!

Discuss...

I have been on a large break from life, including Brawl and have just got the topic back up and running!

Scala, can I transfer the discussion in your topic to this one please? As two would be impractical.

bigman40

Smash Master
Usmash is pretty good when you know when and where to use it. It combos well after a Bair/Ftilt/Utilt, the smash's pull back does very well in dodging an opponent's atk in the air (as you can slide under them), his head is invincible through the move (which clanks alot of atks), kills at decent percents (about 120-150 ranging from small to heavy), and it comes after a CGable character for a easy kill.

Scala

Smash Ace
Yeah go ahead and transfer it. Ideally, I wanted 1 thread would have been best, but I thought the idea of this discussion merited continuation so I made my own thread since you disappeared. Glad to see you're back for this, though.

I looooove usmash. If you hyphen-smash it you can do so many great things. The usmash has way more range than people think it does, and it can hit people on the ground in front of and behind you.

Depster

Smash Champion
Tis manly. I love this move, its just sooo beastly. And people don't ever realize how strong it is charged and seem to like to jump right into it XD

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
my favorite part of the U smash is how you can hit enemies behind you.
you can dash past them, they think you missed, but you hit them and they go pretty far too
i like to hyphen smash to set up for uair kills

edit: this should be stickied

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
People don't look at discussion stickies ever. Walkthroughs maybe, but never discussion. O and Yinlong, if you post in this topic, try and say something about the move at hand.

Forsworn

Smash Cadet
Usmash is pretty good when you know when and where to use it. It combos well after a Bair/Ftilt/Utilt, the smash's pull back does very well in dodging an opponent's atk in the air (as you can slide under them), his head is invincible through the move (which clanks alot of atks), kills at decent percents (about 120-150 ranging from small to heavy), and it comes after a CGable character for a easy kill.
For real? I've never seen anyone say this. This should be added to the Yoshi guide then!

Probably my favorite Yoshi move since it's so darn useful and has great range and good knockback. My only problem is when the time comes that it's viable to K.O. with, I've used U-smash enough times where it's a bit degraded. That's my own fault of course.

bigman40

Smash Master
For real? I've never seen anyone say this. This should be added to the Yoshi guide then!

Probably my favorite Yoshi move since it's so darn useful and has great range and good knockback. My only problem is when the time comes that it's viable to K.O. with, I've used U-smash enough times where it's a bit degraded. That's my own fault of course.
Yep, After clanking enough atks with his head, I pretty much guessed that his head is invincible through most of the smash. Mostly at the middle of the atk it's invincible.

Scala

Smash Ace
Yep, After clanking enough atks with his head, I pretty much guessed that his head is invincible through most of the smash. Mostly at the middle of the atk it's invincible.
I thought so too, but I never actually confirmed it. Does his fsmash have invincibility too?

Top Bottom