• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Move Set Discussion - #10: D Air, Foot Flurry***

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
In this thread, I would like to devote one day to discuss the ins and outs of each move in Yoshi's arsenal. I will pick a new move to discuss each day, and at the end of the day's discussion post a summary of the moves uses, situations and general statistics discussed during that day. At the end we will hopefully have a large summary of Yoshi's moves and there individual uses.

If you have a problem with the summary or feel something should be added, then tell me, but please incorporate your criticism into your post on the move of the day so this way the move of the day is still the principal focus.

Please note that these are only summarys, for further information look through the topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1-2 Jab Combo (A,A)

Range: Mid
Priority: High
Knockback: Low-Mid
Damage: = 3,6 (9 total)

Yoshi's Jab is great for what it was made for, a move to give him breathing space. It's also Yoshi's fastest move and is often his best option OOS. Thanks to it's little post lag it can also be used efficiently for shield pressure and smart jabbing stops a lot of defensive game, but watch out because certain characters can shield grab between the first and second hit. Often times F Tilt is better for it's range, but the Jab works great as a 'panic button'.

Yoshi's jab isn't as versatile as some as you can't go from the first jab into a grab, because of Yoshi's laggy grab, but for an extra 3% you can Jab to F Tilt. At lower percentages, you can go straight from jab into a D Tilt, but most use B Air to transition from defence to offence smoothly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tail Swipe (F Tilt)

Range: Mid-High
Priority: High-Mid
Knockback: Low
Damage: Pointable in 3 directions, Upward (10dmg), Downward (8dmg) and Straight (9dmg)

This move is arguably Yoshi's best ground move. Very fast, with decent range (second only to D Tilt), good priority and a great comboing move. The upward tilted F Tilt should most always be used as the primary direction, as it does the best damage and it also works great as an aerial deterrent. This move should be your primary ground move, fast and versatile, it's the move that 'rarely fails you.'

At lower percentages this move can chain into itself thanks to its relatively low knockback and the fact it sends people straight up. At higher damages, this move also sets up for an U Air combo/kill. You can also link the first hit of Jab into F Tilt. This move can also follow up virtually any aerial except D Air (landing lag).

Tail Whip (D Tilt)

Range: Very High
Priority: Mid
Knockback: Mid (no longer fixed)
Damage: 10dmg

Just as F Tilt is your aerial deterrent, D Tilt should be your ground deterrent. Hitting with the mid section of the tail also helps it works as an effective gimper. It is also safe on block, unlike it's more used counterpart, the D Smash. The key aspect of this move over others is it's range, which whilst the hitbox is slightly smaller then the actual tail, is still Yoshi's largest ranged move.

At lower percentages, you can go straight from the two jabs into a D Tilt. B Air follows from this well, quickly swapping from offence to defence. Note that this move can be teched, declining from its usefulness. None the less, it's still a decent and underused move.

Tail Uppercut (U Tilt)

Range: Low
Priority: Low-Mid
Knockback: Low

This is a hard move to fit in, because whilst good, there are often better alternatives. U Smash often fits where it could and does the job better. It is however great at low percent combo’s and this is what it should be used for. Use U Smash over this in intercepting aerial foes, as the tail’s quite slow in getting to it’s full height. Don’t use this outside of a combo either as if shielded it has fairly punishable lag. It also has another use in beating out predicted spotdodges, people expecting an U Air can get a surprise if you U Tilt from an empty SH.

This follows up well from low knockback moves which put people off the ground, prime examples being F Tilt, B Air and U Tilt (at low percentages they can be chained, similar to F Tilt). At higher percentages, you can also go straight from this into an U Air.

Headbutt (F Smash)

Range: Low
Knockback: Very High
Damage: 14dmg (uncharged)

This is Yoshi’s highest knockback move and it should be used as nothing other then a KO move because of this. It’s rare that you get a chance to use it because of the move’s poor range but this works out quite well as it’s then fresh and at best KO potential. This kills at around 115% from the center of FD on Mario with DI. The pull back on the F Smash can be used riskily to dodge an attack and counter attack, Stutter stepping helps with this, but the main time you will use this is to punish lag, most likely landing lag.

You should always be looking for an opportunity to use an F Smash when your opponent is at high percentage, but unfortunately this opportunity does not rise very often, so when you get chance to, use it!

Tail Slam Dance (D Smash)

Knockback: Mid-High

Whilst we can all agree that D Smash has been nerfed from its great Melee counterpart, it still has its uses. Like many D Smashes, this is great for punishing rolls and that should be its primary use. This move shouldn't really be used for killing, it doesn't have much KO potential but it does come out very quickly, so for someone gimpable it can be good to just knock them off stage, setting up for edgeguard.

It's a decent panic move, but jab and F Tilt normally do the job quicker and better. Overall, a decent move with a few utilitys, but it's rarely the best move for the situation.

Pullback Slam (U Smash)

Priority: Very High (the head is invincible)
Knockback: High-High

A very versatile move, effective in alot of situations. It kills decently, ranging from 120 to 150 % and can be used as an approach thanks to sliding U Smash. The invincibility frames on the head means its great on intercepting aerial approaches and just in general stopping your opponent. This move has deceptive range, whilst nothing miraculous it's easy to underestimate so don't think it's Yoshi's Rest or anything.

You make a choice with this move, you save it for the kills or you use it in the everyday battle, both are useful in there own right. Don't forget that this move follows after a release grab.

Big Boot! (N Air)

Range: High - MId
Priority: Low-High (rumoured invincibility or armour)
Knockback: High-Mid

Yoshi´s N Air is a great move. All of it's stats are good and is Yoshi's premier edge guard move thanks to it's knockback. Offstage you'll be getting kills as low as 100% with this, which combined with DJ heavy armour make it a force to be reckoned with. Note that you shouldn't use this as an approach as it's got some punishable after lag when SH'd (but hey, thats what B Air is for).

This move also has some great range essentially a bubble of hitbox around Yoshi and thanks to it's quick startup it's a good C-C-C-Combo Breaker.This thing should usually be your go to move when you´re near the edge along with eggs, for edgeguards, recovering and ledgehopping.

Overall, we can all agree that N Airing while DJing is not only AAA, it also looks like Yoshi can levitate himself Mewtwo style.

Aerial Crazy Dinosaur Flick "ACDF" (B Air)

Range: Mid - High
Priority: Low-High
Knockback: Mid - Low
Damage: 13dmg

This move is IMO Yoshi's best move. It shield stabs, it multi hits, it auto cancels from a SH, meaning it can lead into great combos, I recommend following from this with any of Yoshi's Tilts and occasionaly the D or U Smash. This is pretty much Yoshi's best approach, well it's certainly his best from the air. To top all this off, it's also got big range from that tail. It's priority is also good so it's going to go through a fair few attacks. With alot of characters, B Air fences are basically uncounterable, because even with good shielding, properly spaced you can always react to what the other person counters with. Obviously, if you want to approach people infront RARing it is very useful.

Other misc uses are it working well as an anti edgeguard and also for cancelling out alot of projectiles (making it's approach even better).

Foot Flurry (D Air) 34dmg!111ploxroflhax!11

Discuss...

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
Priority, combo breaker potential, and raw speed all in one buttonmashtastic box. This move is utterly amazing.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
So it's like a guide in progress, you might say. This reminds me... I definitely forgot to save space on the matchups analysis. Oh well... back on topic.

Yoshi's jab combo is great at what it is meant to do: be a quick attack that gets the opponent out of your face. Unfortunately, it's not that great for much else... or, rather, Yoshi has the ability to use other moves in the same way. At low percentages it's viable for combos, but in most cases you're actually better off with an ftilt, which is more rangy. However, jab will be used very often in matches because Yoshi can get pretty flustered once someone gets right up in his face. At many times, if you just want to get the opponent at that mid-range distance that Yoshi excels at, this is the best move to use. It's not as versatile as other jabs, however - for one, you can't follow it up from 1st jab hit to grab, since Yoshi's grab is far too laggy at a standstill to work and pivot will take too long to set up. 1st jab to f-tilt still works fine, but it's not really that worth it for just 3 more damage.
Bottom line: Though not as versatile as other jabs, it sets the opponent up in a good range for Yoshi to retaliate (bair, anyone?) and it gets the job done.

Good thread, if we can get plenty of intelligent posters (which the Yoshi boards definitely have) here then there could be some nice progress.
Since when have you developed such an interest in Yoshi, BS? :laugh:

Edit: Welcome to SWF, yoshihybrid.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
I use this often, but as Kiwi said, at times the Ftilt is better. However, having poor input skills, I often opt for the jab combo rather than ftilt so as not to accidently pull off an Fsmash (I'm getting much better, though.) The A button kinda becomes the panic button at times, and it works, too. Though, if you miss and you're already thinking about going for the combo, you're left slightly vulnerable. (Like when the opponent is behind you and you pull off the jab combo instead of the single jab.)

It may not rack up as much damage as other jabs, but Yoshi doesn't excel at very close range, so it suits him well. It can set up for a bair and whatever fun you wish to have after that.

Overall: Great move, even though I think I overuse it a tad.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
this should be a staple in any yoshi's game IMO. cancels some projectiles, good damage (9 total) with decent knockback that setups up combos. comes out very fast too, this is what i primarily use coming out of my egg.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Since when have you developed such an interest in Yoshi, BS? :laugh:
Two main things, for one I've realised that the Yoshi community is very nice, but is in need of more development. The other is because I recently discovered that Yoshi is practically the funnest character in the game to play as!

*Edit* Does anyone know what frame the jab comes out? Or better yet, a link to Yoshi's frame data in general?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Fast, high priority (from what I can tell), decent damage, good knockback (for a get off me attack), I can usually get in a quick Bair afterwards, makes the cutest noise out of yoshi's attacks (from what i can remember)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi's jab is so good, it's still one of the best jabs in the game, WTFFFFFF.

This move is one of the few reasons he can take on some of the really really good characters in this game. Smart jabbing stops lots of defensive games and puts lots of pressure on the enemy. Just be careful about using it against really good shieldgrabbers, as you can get grabbed in-between your first jab and second jab. Yeah, it sucks, I know.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
In this thread, I would like to devote one day to discuss the ins and outs of each move in Yoshi's arsenal. I will pick a new move to discuss each day, and at the end of the day's discussion post a summary of the moves uses, situations and general statistics discussed during that day. At the end we will hopefully have a large summary of Yoshi's moves and there individual uses.
I made a thread a couple months ago before my final exams on yoshi's move sets. Unfortunately it got deleted for some reason :ohwell:. It wasn't completely finished, so I was going redo it and post it again later. This thread is a great idea! I expect alot of meta game to develop in this thread :chuckle:.

Yoshi's jab combo is very good. The initial hit is very fast. Fast enough to interrupt ROB before he can use his dsmash. Knockback on the second jab is good enough to get yourself a little breathing room, and can set up for things like a dash grab.

Scala

Smash Ace
Don't forget he has almost no lag. If they shield, you can jab, jab, spotdodge, punish very often.

jab jab dtilt dashattk dashgrab

It seems a bit farfetched but it plays with the opponent's psychology some. If the 2 jabs hit, you can take advantage of his phenominal reach on the dtilt to outspace your opponent usually (not to mention dtilt is very fast. If they have an attack (non projectile) that can reach you can probably get your dtilt to hit faster). If your dtilt trips you have a free dashattk and after that most opponents try to recoup their losses and you can nab them with a dashgrab. It's obviously not a true combo but I pull this off often against competant players.

Also I think we should make a NEW THREAD FOR EACH MOVE in order to increase focus.

Thumbs up for these threads though, they will really help fleshing out his metagame.

Depster

Smash Champion
Jab is great anywhere in your game it seems, though isn't too good for fighting people that like to dodge a lot.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Day Two is F Tilt!

Discuss...

If you have a problem with the summary or feel something should be added, then tell me, but please incorporate your criticism into your post on the move of the day so this way the move of the day is still the principal focus.

KiwiBear

Smash Rookie
I'm pressed for time since i have a interview for a job but I'll say this is a great combo additive after gaining ground in a air battle. its fast and catches players off gaurd often when used correctly. Its also good after the jab combo and can then be setup for a grab (I'd do it to all you yoshis out there if brawl wasn't such a lag fest D:

D

Deleted member

Ftilt is a great move. Fast, solid range, goodish priority, combos into stuff. Ill often use this after landing a bair. If they DI the wrong way it can lead to another one and then even a running usmash. Overall, a solid, versetile move.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
After playing a lot with Yoshi, I've come to the conclusion that this is his best move. (At least on the ground.)
It comes out immediately and has nearly unbeatable range that all but a few characters will have trouble with. Slightly lacking in the priority department, but usually good enough to get the job done. You can use it to continue a combo (usually after a bair-landing, though it can follow up any aerial except dair's landing lag. From there you can use another aerial). You can juggle with it (at low percentages this works for a while on almost anybody, bigger targets suffer from it longer). You can use it as a GTFO attack (although if that's all you want, just go for jab instead so this doesn't get stale). You can set up a combo (yes, it's different from continuing. Almost any aerial will work from this). You can keep people from approaching (especially DR to ftilt, which I am very excited for). I dunno, it's the move that rarely fails, especially since early in the match no one will expect it.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I need to use the ftilt more often, but when I do use it, it usually works great against smaller characters like Olimar and Squirtle.

Depster

Smash Champion
The best priority you can get on the ground, IMO. It's nice and quick, and can start a few early combos at low percents.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure ftilt actually has more range than dtilt.
*Goes to check*

Edit: Nope, I'm stupid. Dtilt is a bit rangier. Ftilt seems a lot more useful since it can hit people approaching from the air, though.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Might want to add that the up ftilt does 10%, and the down ftilt does 8%.

Yoshi's ftilts are pretty good. Nice range and pretty quick. Great to combo into after a bair.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Day Three is D Tilt!

Discuss...

*Edit* Any comment on my unimaginative, Pokemon inspired name will be repelled with an angry smiley!

O and another note, before commenting on this move, take note of it's range. Pause the game as Yoshi's tail is fully outstretched during this move, its freaking huge!

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Bring it.

Dtilt is a lot like ftilt. Comes out fast, great range, decent knockback. However, it's also pretty different.
First of all, it has a bit more range, though not enough more to be consistently necessary. Secondly, it's probably a lot better for stopping people advancing on the ground, where ftilt is great against aerial opponents. And finally, where an ftilt sets up for a bair, a dtilt pretty much needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis. If they roll away from you, you'll use a bair, but if they use a get-up attack, you can get in an early dair. Note that dtilt can be teched, so its usefulness declines a bit.
One last thing: dtilt no longer has fixed knockback. So get that idea out of your head :laugh:

Chaco

Never Logs In
Dtilt my excellent gimper, right Kiwi? lol But seriously use it to gimp it really works wonders. You want to have it to hwere, your tail is half way exposed during the attack so your hitting with mid section.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Dtilt my excellent gimper, right Kiwi?
Oh god. You get out of here with that thing. :laugh:

On a side note, I feel like my early posts might be discouraging other people from adding on... I don't want to dominate the conversation so I'll hang back a bit tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

Dtilt is a solid move,huge range, its can shield pressure, get some space, and can push your opponent off the edge for an edgeguard. Dsmash is usually prefered, but it isnt safe on block like Dtilt. Its a move every yoshi should use.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Kiwi, dont hold back on us. For God's sake man, I quoted you in the F Tilt analysis XD
No but seriously, your posts are among the most helpful and other people cover the things you miss, so show no restaint :p

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Nonsense, I refuse to monopolize the conversation. I'll just post whatever later in the day.

With this thread, the matchup thread, and Defender's "Yoshi Improvement" thread, we could have a pretty good community-inspired guide, yeah?

Top Bottom