• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Every time I come into this social I feel like I'm walking in on some serious, life changing discussion...
Uh... really?
I actually don't, I don't really take it that serious.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
...Like literally nothing you say is the truth, it's literally just rage filled gargle that is not only poorly worded and typed out, but flat out objectively untrue even when obviously pointed out.

Though I guess I'm not gonna bother to argue with you. As much as you like to say others can't accept the truth, that's really just you trying to project your own mannerisms on others.
You speak the truth with yours cause honestly it is the truth. It's very objective in this case and Swiftie, learn what is the truth and what's not. Ignorance in this world reality or internet has become to common now.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I usually dislike Daisy fanbases... I don't speak that ALL of them act this way, but some of them are just... really wow-worthy.

Example. In GFAQs, there is someone who likes Daisy so MUCH that he started to post topics on how she must be in Smash, and how she is unique.

Problem is. Almost nothing he said makes sense. The most radical thing I have ever read is 'Daisy has different eating animation from Rosalina and Peach in MP10, so she MUST be unique and deserves a spot in Smash'. Like, WTF dude? Yeah, she fights by eating and spewing donuts while yelling her own name to the opponents.

And yeah. At first, I was like 'Oh. Okay, if she is in Smash I'm happy for you', but the constant spamming changes my opinion to 'Bleep it. I don't want Daisy in Smash'. And guess what? Instead of getting Daisy love from the boards, ALMOST EVERYONE NOW HATES DAISY. Like, congrants dude. Did I mention he hate Rosalina too?

And another few people in DA. LuigixDaisy, okay, not overrated even though it has like 12 groups and almost half of Mario pictures involves them. LuigixRosalina, OMG THIS IS ****ING OVERRATED EVEN THOUGH IT HAS LIKE 2 GROUPS AND THE AMOUNT OF PICTURES DIFFERENCE IS LIKE OVER NINE THOUSAND WITH LUIGIXDAISY.

Logic, where are you?

Oh, and did I mention there has been people who says 'Rosalina replaces Waluigi in Mario Kart 7' even though it was ****ing clear he was cut due to time constraints?

Look. If a character you want didn't appear in some games, you don't just pick on 'new' characters (Let's be honest. Daisy and Waluigi has existed longer than Rosalina) and start accusing them being 'replacement' for the said characters. I want Tails in Smash 4, but when he doesn't get in, I don't start blaming Pac-Man for 'replacing' him just because he is yellow and also a third party character. Like, how the hell does Rosalina even replace Daisy and Waluigi? Both of them are still in spin-offs, and Rosalina being in mainstream games? That's probably because Daisy only has appeared in one mainstream game and Waluigi didn't (Need confirms) at all. They never appeared in Mario mainstream games to begin with aside from SML. Rosalina doesn't replace them, get a grip.

Every time I come to this thread, I learn something new today

Today, I learned that GameFAQs is still ********

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I usually dislike Daisy fanbases... I don't speak that ALL of them act this way, but some of them are just... really wow-worthy.

Example. In GFAQs, there is someone who likes Daisy so MUCH that he started to post topics on how she must be in Smash, and how she is unique.

Problem is. Almost nothing he said makes sense. The most radical thing I have ever read is 'Daisy has different eating animation from Rosalina and Peach in MP10, so she MUST be unique and deserves a spot in Smash'. Like, WTF dude? Yeah, she fights by eating and spewing donuts while yelling her own name to the opponents.

And yeah. At first, I was like 'Oh. Okay, if she is in Smash I'm happy for you', but the constant spamming changes my opinion to 'Bleep it. I don't want Daisy in Smash'. And guess what? Instead of getting Daisy love from the boards, ALMOST EVERYONE NOW HATES DAISY. Like, congrants dude. Did I mention he hate Rosalina too?

And another few people in DA. LuigixDaisy, okay, not overrated even though it has like 12 groups and almost half of Mario pictures involves them. LuigixRosalina, OMG THIS IS ****ING OVERRATED EVEN THOUGH IT HAS LIKE 2 GROUPS AND THE AMOUNT OF PICTURES DIFFERENCE IS LIKE OVER NINE THOUSAND WITH LUIGIXDAISY.

Logic, where are you?

Oh, and did I mention there has been people who says 'Rosalina replaces Waluigi in Mario Kart 7' even though it was ****ing clear he was cut due to time constraints?

Look. If a character you want didn't appear in some games, you don't just pick on 'new' characters (Let's be honest. Daisy and Waluigi has existed longer than Rosalina) and start accusing them being 'replacement' for the said characters. I want Tails in Smash 4, but when he doesn't get in, I don't start blaming Pac-Man for 'replacing' him just because he is yellow and also a third party character. Like, how the hell does Rosalina even replace Daisy and Waluigi? Both of them are still in spin-offs, and Rosalina being in mainstream games? That's probably because Daisy only has appeared in one mainstream game and Waluigi didn't (Need confirms) at all. They never appeared in Mario mainstream games to begin with aside from SML. Rosalina doesn't replace them, get a grip.
Michaellol has pretty much always been a troll.
And don't forget, its not Rosalina he hates, its "Rosaline" >_<

please don't take one user with multiple accounts to consider an entire place. I admit there are a lot of stupid posts there, but its also easier to ask a question and start a conversation. Unlike Smashboards, you don't need to find some specific spot to make a topic, you simply make a topic.

Example, Gamefaqs, I can just make a topic to show off my all of my Smash Pictures
Here, the topic would likely be closed, I would be told to post it in a thread specific to that, and likely get completely ignored.

Steam

Smash Hero
It just bothers me how uneducated some people are on what the word actually is. It's not something made up slang, it's an actual Japanese word.
It's engrish. There are actual japanese words for the term since obviously the concept of marriage has existed in japan way longer than western influence but a lot of english words are used in common speech as well, especially for terms without a direct translation. Dunno if japanese people actually say the word because I've never been there.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Every time I come to this thread, I'm like "What the **** is going on around here, dammit!?"

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It's engrish. There are actual japanese words for the term since obviously the concept of marriage has existed in japan way longer than western influence but a lot of english words are used in common speech as well, especially for terms without a direct translation. Dunno if japanese people actually say the word because I've never been there.
Don't ask me, even though I'm an Asian, I don't know much about Japanese.
Every time I come to this thread, I'm like "What the **** is going on around here, dammit!?"
Me:"Oh, what do we have here~"

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, waifu is an actual word in Japanese, and it means wife:
http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ワイフ#Japanese

Engrish is simply a Japanese person trying to speak actual English but failing to, as Japanese people struggle to pronounce certain letters properly, most notably mispronouncing "L" as "R". Hence the slang "Engrish" was born to make fun of that.

Go re-watch some old Nintendo Directs, and take a shot every time Iwata says "riving room (living room)".

But yeah, waifu is the English spelling of an actual romaji word.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Michaellol has pretty much always been a troll.
And don't forget, its not Rosalina he hates, its "Rosaline" >_<
Looks like I AM NOT ALONE <3!

Yep. Anyone who visit GFAQs on regular basis shouldn't be able miss these painful topics.

And yep. I never feel can leave GFAQs. The complete randomness and comedic nature of the posts there (One person asks(Michaeloll's alts, I presume): I have been bought a Rosaline amiibo! I don't want it! What should I do!?

Answer: Send it to mariotehplumber), made me laugh almost everytime.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Amen to that. The site was at its peak of stupidity during the pre-Smash 4 days (aka: the character speculation days)
Really? Some that site's forums helped me a lot. When searching for some solution when it comes to serious game trouble shooting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Really? Some that site's forums helped me a lot. When searching for some solution when it comes to serious game trouble shooting.
Its a major exaggeration, Gamefaqs is a lot more laid back which means more jokes and stuff. Because of this, there are also more annoying trolls but they're not Gamefaqs exclusive. I remember back in the pre-release there was someone who use torment Ridley fans and would say a generic space pirate would be a better character then him. This happened here on Smashboards.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well um, only certain parts of the site. I guess
I think this was the main purpose of this site, it should help us solve game problems.
Its a major exaggeration, Gamefaqs is a lot more laid back which means more jokes and stuff. Because of this, there are also more annoying trolls but they're not Gamefaqs exclusive. I remember back in the pre-release there was someone who use torment Ridley fans and would say a generic space pirate would be a better character then him. This happened here on Smashboards.
It can happen to nearly every online forum right?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The gaming community on the internet as a whole is filled with toxic thoughts, and sometimes even toxic people. It isn't really exclusive to any one site. While certain sites have a particular reputation for it (the /v/ boards on 4chan for example, or for Smash, /r/smashbros has a bad reputation), plenty of seemingly alright communities have their fair share of problems too, including Smashboards.

And really, the common theme with these sites is how big they are. They're so big, that of course certain parts of them are filled with toxic posts and maybe even people.

You just need to learn to drown it out, and maybe argue with it where you feel it's particularly necessary. Even when I see people say something like "Rosalina is just another princess", I've just kinda stopped arguing with people when they say silly things like that, because it's such a common misconception and so many people won't budge and treat it like fact, that it just makes me jaded if I'm to argue with it every single time. Sometimes, the best thing is to just swallow your pride, have a bit of an ego, and ignore people, knowing that you're in the right or have the correct facts anyway. They will continue hating on something for the wrong reasons, and you will continue loving something for the right reasons. It's a win-win for you.

------------------

/r/amiibo is having an anniversary celebration and all of the characters are wearing silly party hats. Rosalina looks funny with one:

------------

I can confirm that the story mode in 3DS London Olympics had some absolutely golden moments:

Also there is a part where Bowser calls Kamek a "goon".

Seriously, Nintendo should just team up with SEGA for the next Mario game and let SEGA staff do the writing.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
That is definitely untrue, I guarantee that many other characters are the same too.
That confirms my mind. I shouldn't hesitate about rumors like that... xD

"Rosalina is just another princess"
That word... "Princess". I really don't like when people call her like that. I find that word too girly for her...
That reminds me in MP10. In Abyss Bizarre, when she finds out the best (or juste the true, can't remember) chest of that strange purple monster, she does a pose...
She... Flies off (or she swims in a strange way...) tips over a bit, puts her finger on her chin and stays like that...
Mixed with her too high-pitched voice in that game, you could replace her by Peach xD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That confirms my mind. I shouldn't hesitate about rumors like that... xD

That word... "Princess". I really don't like when people call her like that. I find that word too girly for her...
That reminds me in MP10. In Abyss Bizarre, when she finds out the best (or juste the true, can't remember) chest of that strange purple monster, she does a pose...
She... Flies off (or she swims in a strange way...) tips over a bit, puts her finger on her chin and stays like that...
Mixed with her too high-pitched voice in that game, you could replace her by Peach xD
She...doesn't do that. She doesn't put her finger on her chin, she sticks her fist out:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not so much girly, so much as it is marionette-like. Most of Rosalina's animations in games where she floats are supposed to make her move around like some kind of marionette.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
It's not so much girly, so much as it is marionette-like. Most of Rosalina's animations in games where she floats are supposed to make her move around like some kind of marionette.
My mind anyway xD

Steam

Smash Hero
No, waifu is an actual word in Japanese, and it means wife:
http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ワイフ#Japanese

Engrish is simply a Japanese person trying to speak actual English but failing to, as Japanese people struggle to pronounce certain letters properly, most notably mispronouncing "L" as "R". Hence the slang "Engrish" was born to make fun of that.

Go re-watch some old Nintendo Directs, and take a shot every time Iwata says "riving room (living room)".

But yeah, waifu is the English spelling of an actual romaji word.
notice it's only written in katakana, this is what they do with foreign words they use.
Etymology
From English wife.
It's about as japanese as the word burger is english

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
notice it's only written in katakana, this is what they do with foreign words they use.

It's about as japanese as the word burger is english
What I mean though is that waifu is the Japanese word for wife, regardless of origin. It doesn't matter if they derived it from the English word (many English words derive from words from other languages - doesn't change the fact it's an English word in the English language), it's their way of saying the same thing, and it's actually spoken in normal conversation. The nerd slang use of the word came later. You can find the word in a Japanese dictionary. Much like how you can find burger in an English dictionary. Just because it derived from one language, doesn't mean it isn't part of and incorporated into another.

Steam

Smash Hero
What I mean though is that waifu is the Japanese word for wife, regardless of origin. It doesn't matter if they derived it from the English word (many English words derive from words from other languages - doesn't change the fact it's an English word in the English language), it's their way of saying the same thing, and it's actually spoken in normal conversation. The nerd slang use of the word came later. You can find the word in a Japanese dictionary. Much like how you can find burger in an English dictionary. Just because it derived from one language, doesn't mean it isn't part of and incorporated into another.
http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/奥さん#Japanese

and others too:

Japanese: (ja) (つま, tsuma), 家内 (かない, kanai) (only for speaker's), ワイフ (waifu), 奥さん (おくさん, okusan) (traditionally except for speaker's), 奥様 (おくさま, okusama) (except for speaker's, honorific), 夫人 (ja) (ふじん, fujin) (humble), ご夫人 (ごふじん, go-fujin) (honorific)

so yes waifu is there but other words have existed much longer and are more formal as waifu was clearly adapted from english. It may be commonly spoken but it's still them speaking an english word.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/奥さん#Japanese

and others too:

Japanese: (ja) (つま, tsuma), 家内 (かない, kanai) (only for speaker's), ワイフ (waifu), 奥さん (おくさん, okusan) (traditionally except for speaker's), 奥様 (おくさま, okusama) (except for speaker's, honorific), 夫人 (ja) (ふじん, fujin) (humble), ご夫人 (ごふじん, go-fujin) (honorific)

so yes waifu is there but other words have existed much longer and are more formal as waifu was clearly adapted from english. It may be commonly spoken but it's still them speaking an english word.
They're not speaking an English word, merely a word derived from it, or an adaptation. There's a difference. How the Japanese use the word "waifu" is like how English speakers use the word "banshee", which is derived from the Irish word "beanshíde".

An example of a word originating from one language yet still spoken in other languages (like English) is "baguette" - it's a French word that we use with absolutely no adaptation - it retains it's French spelling and sound. "Waifu" is not the same case, it is a Japanese word that is derived from an English word, with adapted use and pronunciation.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Every time I come to this thread, I'm like holy crap how do you guys manage to keep up with this thing?! I could be off for a day or overnight and it's three pages longer.
Every time I come into this social I feel like I'm walking in on some serious, life changing discussion...
Many words of wisdom are shared among this thread. That much I know.

Logic, where are you?

Fanbases can get crazy for sure. Even when you see like-minded people in a community and then look over at insane discussions in the same community it just leaves a bad taste. It's almost like any fanbase can be called the worst fanbase these days. But whatever was going on in what you were describing, yikes.

I keep telling myself to stop looking at GameFAQs forums because I'm probably not gonna like what I see. But alas, I clicked on them. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places in GameFAQs.
That's a social thread for you. Just about anything could pop up.
Nuff said.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
ALSO CAN WE PLEASE HYPE UP SMASH 4 FOR EVO THAT WAY SMASH 4 CAN TAKE MAIN STAGE!??!!?
I'm not interested in those Smash tournaments and **** because they're absolutely pointless to me.

Besides, I'm more hyped about who's gonna win the NBA Finals between Golden State and Cleveland.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm not interested in those Smash tournaments and **** because they're absolutely pointless to me.

Besides, I'm more hyped about who's gonna win the NBA Finals between Golden State and Cleveland.
I hope for Golden State Warriors,you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom