• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Golden State all the way. Should've been Dallas, though.
Even though they said that the team who won game 3 has a 84% chance of winning the NBA Finals, it's still only a number.

Sad that Dallas Mavericks lost to Houston Rockets...

Steam

Smash Hero
They're not speaking an English word, merely a word derived from it, or an adaptation. There's a difference. How the Japanese use the word "waifu" is like how English speakers use the word "banshee", which is derived from the Irish word "beanshíde".

An example of a word originating from one language yet still spoken in other languages (like English) is "baguette" - it's a French word that we use with absolutely no adaptation - it retains it's French spelling and sound. "Waifu" is not the same case, it is a Japanese word that is derived from an English word, with adapted use and pronunciation.
this is because in katakana they can't pronounce it the same way, they don't have the sounds to do it. a lot of english words translated into katakana will have stray vowel sounds in them, wife is no exception.

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
Why the f*ck can't I absorb Zelda's Din's Fire with Gravitational Pull?!?! I always die thinking I can!! :mad:
Yes, I consider that complete bullcrap and it should be possible. Rosalina can absorb SO MANY things that do not appear it can be absorbed yet not Din's Fire? It pisses me off everytime a FG Zelda throws it out (Oh, how often that is...).

Best video thumbnail:

I would like it if the pistol was pointing in another direction. But, Rosalina is looking beautiful as usual in that image. Anyone have the original image of that shot (just Rosalina)?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yes, I consider that complete bullcrap and it should be possible. Rosalina can absorb SO MANY things that do not appear it can be absorbed yet not Din's Fire? It pisses me off everytime a FG Zelda throws it out (Oh, how often that is...).
Its likely because its not a projectile, Its just an indicator of where the explosion is going to be.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It can't, I never had use GP that much when facing Zelda so I don't really know.

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
Its likely because its not a projectile, Its just an indicator of where the explosion is going to be.
I had absolutely no idea that was so. It didn't look like anything I would expect, such as crosshairs. But, Zelda, you win this time. Thank you for that piece of information!~

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah, it sucks balls you can't absorb Zelda's Din's Fire with Gravitational Pull. I remember the first time I tried to do that, it ended up blowing up in my face. :/

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah, it sucks balls you can't absorb Zelda's Din's Fire with Gravitational Pull. I remember the first time I tried to do that, it ended up blowing up in my face. :/
Gonna consider this in her 2nd MU analysis thread.
But there are other ways to avoid that attack right?

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Gonna consider this in her 2nd MU analysis thread.
But there are other ways to avoid that attack right?
Using your shield would be a good start.

And speaking of MUs, anyone got opinions on Luigi vs Rosalina? I want to see how Rosalina players think of the green plumber (Our boards are pretty inactive, so yeah).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It would have to be a projectile if Fox's Reflector completely negates Din's Fire's damage. It should also be noted that Gravitational Pull does nothing against explosions.

And speaking of MUs, anyone got opinions on Luigi vs Rosalina? I want to see how Rosalina players think of the green plumber (Our boards are pretty inactive, so yeah).
There is this thread, but apparently, not many people have enough intel on the Rosalina vs. Luigi match-up. Likewise, Peach, Donkey Kong, and even Diddy Kong have been on the empty side as well. Ironically, Diddy's round 1 discussion period was more active.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It would have to be a projectile if Fox's Reflector completely negates Din's Fire's damage. It should also be noted that Gravitational Pull does nothing against explosions.

There is this thread, but apparently, not many people have enough intel on the Rosalina vs. Luigi match-up. Likewise, Peach, Donkey Kong, and even Diddy Kong have been on the empty side as well. Ironically, Diddy's round 1 discussion period was more active.
Oh no... will be like the early time when you made separate threads? Our MU threads needs more attention.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh no... will be like the early time when you made separate threads? Our MU threads needs more attention.
At this point, it wouldn't make that much of a difference on what I do, as even round 1 had its empty moments. In a way, some match-up discussions are more popular than others.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I would like it if the pistol was pointing in another direction. But, Rosalina is looking beautiful as usual in that image. Anyone have the original image of that shot (just Rosalina)?

There honestly isn't much to say because other than scrubby Lucario players online, I think most people don't really run into him that often. They're just aren't many players who are good with Lucario.

From what I can tell from my experience, the match-up is easily in Rosalina's favour. Rosalina can KO even the heaviest characters real early without rage, even more so with rage, and Lucario is not particularly heavy, and he's floaty, so he is easy to KO for her. And since Lucario has nothing to write home about before his damage is high, Rosalina should never even have to deal with him in that powered-up state, because she can get rid of him before he is at a high percent. When he IS in that powered up state, he's definitely more of a threat, but I find that switching to a defensive playstyle works fine for Rosalina at that point, and she generally gets by fine if she is always ready to GP Aura Sphere, and doesn't stay level with Lucario that often. I also find Rosalina beats him in the air regardless of Aura buffs, and he's easily intercepted once he's off stage. He's also slower than us all around, so even with Solo Rosalina, Lucario has to try and keep up with her. I also find Lucario very easy to combo.

I'm not too fond of discussing MUs as on this site it always breaks down into a character pride fest and a lot of people try to claim their character keeps Rosalina "in check" even though this is never true, but you can use that little paragraph above if you wish. Both characters are under-utilised and under-developed, though.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I found this awesome Rosalina quote. It may not necessarily be canon, but it is something I know Rosalina would definitely say.

I think we can all agree that Rosalina is the embodiment of true, pure, unconditional love.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I found this awesome Rosalina quote. It may not necessarily be canon, but it is something I know Rosalina would definitely say.

I think we can all agree that Rosalina is the embodiment of true, pure, unconditional love.
( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
can anyone translate this story(its in japanese)? It looks like it would be really cute (ITS SAFE FOR WORK)

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=50839791
I want all of ermame's stuff translated, they're one of my favourite Rosalina artists.

-----------

http://kotaku.com/there-are-no-favorites-in-smash-bros-says-its-creator-1710569154

Sakurai concludes that while it is made for all sorts of players, from novices to veterans, Smash Bros. is essentially balanced so that mid-ranged players can enjoy it.
:rosalina:Buffs ahoy!:rosalina:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
At this point, it wouldn't make that much of a difference on what I do, as even round 1 had its empty moments. In a way, some match-up discussions are more popular than others.
Alright, guess we'll see how it goes then...
I would say something, only if I knew enough about Lucario.
I don't really like to fight with Lucario...

Wow, did she really had said that?
I want all of ermame's stuff translated, they're one of my favourite Rosalina artists.

-----------

http://kotaku.com/there-are-no-favorites-in-smash-bros-says-its-creator-1710569154

His drawing are really cute! Worth translate!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Definitely sounds like something she would say for real. :)

-----------

All the more reasons why I hate the Smash fanbase. They can't seem to learn how to have fun.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Noticed some discussion about Din's Fire.

Shield is the best way to deal with it.

You can literally stand, shield, side taunt, repeat and stall out the timer if you wanted to.

Air dodge in the air is also very effective.

Even just jumping out of the way works.

Basically just shield/dodge the move and it won't do anything to you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Best way to deal with Din's Fire is actually to just jump over it, I find. This way, you can easily approach while dodging the move.

Sorry for the double post, but there was something I wanted to post here that people might like.

You know how I've been saying that the White Luma from Galaxy 1 is the same White Luma from Galaxy 2, and that he got lost and lost his memory, and his existence proves that Lumas weren't killing themselves or turning into planets or galaxies in Galaxy 1's ending?

I've found concrete proof that he is the same Luma, and that the secret ending in Galaxy 1 WAS bridging the gap between the two games.

Basically, in Galaxy 2's ending (the normal one), Rosalina says:

The first picture is obviously referring to events of Galaxy 1. It's really that simple, and I can't believe I forgot about this (and everyone else seems to have missed it).

I love these little details about these games.

----

Also bonus:

>tfw the bae stops appearing in games for a while and there are stupid people with hateful misconceptions about her, but she starts appearing in everything and being the best thing in everything

Last edited by a moderator:

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
Sorry for the double post, but there was something I wanted to post here that people might like.

You know how I've been saying that the White Luma from Galaxy 1 is the same White Luma from Galaxy 2, and that he got lost and lost his memory, and his existence proves that Lumas weren't killing themselves or turning into planets or galaxies in Galaxy 1's ending?

I've found concrete proof that he is the same Luma, and that the secret ending in Galaxy 1 WAS bridging the gap between the two games.

The first picture is obviously referring to events of Galaxy 1. It's really that simple, and I can't believe I forgot about this (and everyone else seems to have missed it.

----

Also bonus:

>tfw the bae stops appearing in games for a while and there are stupid people with hateful misconceptions about her, but she starts appearing in everything and being the best thing in everything
Interesting find, it's nice to see other avid Rosalina fans :)

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
All the more reasons why I hate the Smash fanbase. They can't seem to learn how to have fun.
There are things about the Smash fanbase that just ruins the fun for others in more ways than one. Like their now expanded influence on the community. At least the negative aspects of their influence. Especially when a lot of lashing out is directed to specific characters scarring them with their own stigma. A number of my mains fall victim to it. Diddy Kong in Smash 4 will never be looked at the same way again because of his infamous "Hoo-Haa" combo. Diddy was 4th place in Brawl's tier list and nobody batted an eye because of two notorious characters from that game, one of them being one of my mains. Nowadays, the Ice Climbers are usually known for their wobbling and chain grabbing. Their grabbing stigma is so prevalent, that people are actually in favor of them not being in Smash 4 currently just because of their grabbing exploits which wouldn't carry over anyway. I mean what? It's not just the high tiers, because Mewtwo in Melee gets bashed to no end just for being a low tier. And people thought the disadvantages Mewtwo had in Melee would transfer over...... smh. And of course, people are complaining about Rosalina in competitive Smash. I don't think there's anything else to say that hasn't already been said here. But enough of my ranting. That's just my 2 cents on what I don't like about competitive Smash.
Best way to deal with Din's Fire is actually to just jump over it, I find. This way, you can easily approach while dodging the move.

The first picture is obviously referring to events of Galaxy 1. It's really that simple, and I can't believe I forgot about this (and everyone else seems to have missed it).

----

Also bonus:

Well, that settles it then. Although I thought implementing the idea of blatant memory loss was odd in Galaxy 2 the first time I played it. But at the time I wasn't even thinking about the new universe thing from Galaxy 1. It makes sense that it's the same Luma, but wouldn't it be like creating an alternate universe where the result is it erases the fact that they died and that's how they're reborn? Is the idea that Lumas reincarnate as the same exact Luma and not another so they cycle their life through the same star matter over and over? For everything the Lumas transform into, is the start of a new cycle just an undo button for them to start as a Luma again? I mean we do see the white Luma at the end like "Yo what up I'm alive!" as if it still had remnants of memory from the past cycle before Bowser's second attack. Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the whole thing but you're onto something. It seems very evident that the white Luma is the same in both games but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'll have to look it over and maybe it'll make more sense to me. Also LOL the last part. She will always be the best in everything. All hail the bae!

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I Would like to take this chance , when nobody is posting , all alone in here , To apologize to all the people that are considered Rosalina fans.

I honestly think that my views were pointed in a very radical way and that's not right or fair to the people in general that like the character.

We all have different ways to like things , so i feel that i need to respect the way others like Rosalina , and that it was really uncalled for to post extensive messages in here about how i felt about something that its not relevant at all.

There's no excuse to be so mean , and i failed to follow that principle of mine , so honestly I am sorry , i should not express myself in that way and in general because it is unfair at the end of the day.

Please , do not reply to this post , i just wanted to say that i am sorry.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In case I don't get another chance to ask again during the weekend (I probably will though) , could send me a video link to the Youtube video of both of the E3 videos (Preferably the Europe/Australian one, but it shouldn't matter since its E3).

Please don't embed it like this
....... (Awkward moment when the option to embed a video hasn't loaded)

Just a leave a link to it like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG9r4sR0ZIo

That way, I can simply copy the link and take it to this site
http://keepvid.com/
and download it spoiler free without worrying about a comment section, Recommended Videos, decent internet to watch it or lag.

I know Sonic Brawler offered to do it if he remembered which I appreciate, but just in case he forgets in all the hype if someone could remind him or send me a link themselves.

Again, thanks in advance. (I hope I manage to watch it spoiler free)

Steam

Smash Hero
There honestly isn't much to say because other than scrubby Lucario players online, I think most people don't really run into him that often. They're just aren't many players who are good with Lucario.

From what I can tell from my experience, the match-up is easily in Rosalina's favour. Rosalina can KO even the heaviest characters real early without rage, even more so with rage, and Lucario is not particularly heavy, and he's floaty, so he is easy to KO for her. And since Lucario has nothing to write home about before his damage is high, Rosalina should never even have to deal with him in that powered-up state, because she can get rid of him before he is at a high percent. When he IS in that powered up state, he's definitely more of a threat, but I find that switching to a defensive playstyle works fine for Rosalina at that point, and she generally gets by fine if she is always ready to GP Aura Sphere, and doesn't stay level with Lucario that often. I also find Rosalina beats him in the air regardless of Aura buffs, and he's easily intercepted once he's off stage. He's also slower than us all around, so even with Solo Rosalina, Lucario has to try and keep up with her. I also find Lucario very easy to combo.

I'm not too fond of discussing MUs as on this site it always breaks down into a character pride fest and a lot of people try to claim their character keeps Rosalina "in check" even though this is never true, but you can use that little paragraph above if you wish. Both characters are under-utilised and under-developed, though.
Literally every character in sm4sh has the ability to kill sub 100 (I know because every single character board brings it up). But it's honestly more about how safe and reliable the kill options are. for example Fox upsmash is great against lucario, but only because jab combos into it. Otherwise it better be a guaranteed punish or it's basically playing russian roulette with your life. This is even more exaggerated with rosa who can and will die at like 40% to tons of different stuff. Lucario still loses this matchup, but IMO solely because rosalina's dash attack is broken and is the answer to everything lucario does except shield. It clanks with most AS variants (or luma tanks it), it beats everything on the ground, and it mysteriously swats most of his SH game with invisible disjoint hitboxes. at high% Lucario would be able to sideB zone fairly decently if rosa's DA wasn't so good. That being said rosa beats like everyone but sheik at neutral and 90% of the roster beats lucario's options at neutral. Lucario stays viable because he has tricky mobility and he has the breadth of options that let him work around having fundamentally bad normals. that combined with aura really doubles home that you cannot sleep on the character and one or two mistakes or getting read = dead rosa. also aurasphere charge is really potent against rosalina, as is piercing aurasphere if customs are on. rosa still wins the matchup because her neutral is busted, but lucario has the tools to deal with being outclassed there and definitely fares better than most.

edit: don't just like the post, contribute to the matchup thread :(

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
ALL HAIL ROSALINA!!! :colorful:
Yeah!
In case I don't get another chance to ask again during the weekend (I probably will though) , could send me a video link to the Youtube video of both of the E3 videos (Preferably the Europe/Australian one, but it shouldn't matter since its E3).

and download it spoiler free without worrying about a comment section, Recommended Videos, decent internet to watch it or lag.

I know Sonic Brawler offered to do it if he remembered which I appreciate, but just in case he forgets in all the hype if someone could remind him or send me a link themselves.

You mean you want us to post video link instead of the thumbnail just in case of spoiling? Well... I think just as you go directly to this thread, I'm sure you won't get spoiled.

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
Literally every character in sm4sh has the ability to kill sub 100 (I know because every single character board brings it up). But it's honestly more about how safe and reliable the kill options are. for example Fox upsmash is great against lucario, but only because jab combos into it. Otherwise it better be a guaranteed punish or it's basically playing russian roulette with your life. This is even more exaggerated with rosa who can and will die at like 40% to tons of different stuff. Lucario still loses this matchup, but IMO solely because rosalina's dash attack is broken and is the answer to everything lucario does except shield. It clanks with most AS variants (or luma tanks it), it beats everything on the ground, and it mysteriously swats most of his SH game with invisible disjoint hitboxes. at high% Lucario would be able to sideB zone fairly decently if rosa's DA wasn't so good. That being said rosa beats like everyone but sheik at neutral and 90% of the roster beats lucario's options at neutral. Lucario stays viable because he has tricky mobility and he has the breadth of options that let him work around having fundamentally bad normals. that combined with aura really doubles home that you cannot sleep on the character and one or two mistakes or getting read = dead rosa. also aurasphere charge is really potent against rosalina, as is piercing aurasphere if customs are on. rosa still wins the matchup because her neutral is busted, but lucario has the tools to deal with being outclassed there and definitely fares better than most.

Her dash attack is broken? I need to reevaluate my Main then because I rarely go for that move. Seems ineffective and grossly easy to punish.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I still remember. Do you want a link to an actual livestream, or the raw video?

I'm talking "60% on Bowser, the heaviest character in the game, without rage" though, it isn't difficult to do (potentially earlier too, that's just kinda the average). Rosalina and Luma are reknowned for their particularly early KO potentila considering their mobility and other strengths.

Rosalina may be able to get KO'd early theoretically, but her defensive and evasive tools are so good that it's not unusual for her to survive to 200%. Getting a good hit on her is difficult, especially with Luma in the way. If a Rosalina is taking lots of damage and getting hit out easily, they aren't playing character correctly.

Side B zoning shouldn't ever be working on a Rosalina player (unless you are playing under severe online lag), because she shouldn't be staying level with Lucario all of the time to begin with. Luma can always be used as the grounded unit. Her air game beats out a lot of what he does, and techniques like Lunar Landing mean she can also safely approach a grounded Lucario from the air. With customs on she also has Luma Warp to her advantage, she can literally jump up while Lucario's Side B is coming out, use Luma Warp, and have Luma land right on top of Lucario and punish him, while having Luma avoid all damage.

Also Lucario shouldn't be using Aura Sphere too much either, especially at high percents, because then Aura Sphere is huge. This means Rosalina can viably and consistently counter him with a close ranged Graviational Pull, as it will always hit Lucario on the swing around Rosalina. And it's pretty much always a confirmed KO if he is using a super aura powered one. It's also a viable counter at lower percents, though not as likely to KO him, though it will get him into the air for a juggle, since GP can quickly be acted out of. Bonus points if the Rosalina player leaves Luma separated in the field in preparation for this.

Also Rosalina doesn't lose to Sheik in neutral, it's pretty much completely even (the match-up is decided by who gets the upper hand at the start). You're probably assuming Rosalina is a defense oriented character, though, as most people do.

Her dash attack is broken? I need to reevaluate my Main then because I rarely go for that move. Seems ineffective and grossly easy to punish.
You shouldn't ever be missing with Rosalina's dash attack, as it's not the kind of move you throw out at random. It's a punisher in and of itself, as well as combo linker/starter, since it always pops people into the air. It also cuts through most other attacks in the game. Being smart with how Luma is spaced from you also makes it deadly.

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
janking people with uair/utilt isn't something rosalina can always just do. It's notable but it's also not a palutena dthrow -> uair or ness bthrow. from my experience rosa is one of the easiest characters to survive against, though it's not like lucario has to be at all that high% to kill rosa at 60%. If rosalina is seriously living to 200% then that's a problem because by 160% most nairs intercepting her garbage recovery should kill her.

Also you should never separate from luma as rosa against lucario. It's the easiest way to get rocked since lucario can get through solo rosa zoning fairly easily. on top of that if he really wants lucario can charge an AS on top of luma and completely trap him until rosa forces him to stop, It's actually fairly nifty because it's pretty easy to make luma run into it. The easiest way for rosa to win the matchup is to dumb down her playstyle to barebones basics. Her base options with luma on her are so superior that lucario has very few opportunities around them, trying to get fancy might work better against characters with good neutral games, but against lucario it just gives him opportunities. It's sad and hilarious how well rosa can do by simply dash attacking the moment lucario presses a button at neutral, and dash attack cancel grab if he's in shield. Even if you mess up and do it into his shield, it's fast enough (and lucario sideB is slow enough) that you usually don't have to worry about dying. Rosa's nair, though it's nerfed, is still nearly as good in the air, beating out literally everything and being safe as well. From lucario's perspective, Rosalina's like a tougher sheik matchup, luc automatically loses the neutral game completely, but rosa can kill better in exchange for a much worse recovery and being even lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom