• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Some new screenshots have come out, some of them being Rosalina focused. I don't have the raw screens but GameXplain put up a video of them:

Skip to 0:35....is that....a Giant Luma accompanying a regular sized Rosalina?!
My goodness, that Luma is terrifying. I'm guessing that Luma takes the effects of Mushrooms without Rosalina's influence. Cool.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually, I think something different may be at play here. Luma has a distinct red glow...

...Maybe it has to do with Custom Specials? Like, maybe the custom specials for Luma Shot change Luma's state or something?

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
I suppose the developers is still improve some moves, they add hitbox to her Down B... or it will be one of her custom moves? Her Final Smash looks pretty different too, and about the giant Luma thing... I have no idea, maybe it's a camera effect.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's definitely not a camera effect or a Mushroom. That thing is basically the same height as Rosalina, and Rosalina is huge herself. And it has a mysterious red glow.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Daisy is overrated in the sense that everyone pretends that she is much more than she actually is. At the end of the day, her creation was very much an afterthought and Nintendo has done little to flesh her out (heck, SEGA has done more good to her than Nintendo has). While she has a lot of potential to be a very engaging and interesting character...that's really only because she's a completely blank slate when Nintendo handles her.

The AV Club put it perfectly:

This is actually a very good observation of how a lot of Daisy fans argue she is a well developed character - they create their own little facts about her to give her more agency, make her feel more like a real person, even though she doesn't have them, at least when it's Nintendo handling her. Rosalina, and even Peach (in the RPGs and Paper Mario series, not in the main series), inherently have agency, Rosalina especially, since her back story deals with a situation every human being is going to have to face at one point or another, in some shape or form, and she feels like she actually thinks deeply about the choices she has to make, and feels like she's got some very defined values, and feels like she's got some sense of ego (I don't mean that in the sense that she's egotistical, because she isn't - I mean it in relation to Freudian psychology). And Rosalina headcanons tend to have more actual relation to canon facts, thus, they are actual headcanons, and not just a random fact shoehorned onto the character.

I'm not against Daisy. As I said before, I just don't care for her, because Nintendo has given me very little reason to. I don't even see her as much of a tomboy at all, since despite Nintendo SAYING she has that, she hardly feels like one. She's just slightly more energetic and obnoxious when compared to Peach. Other than that, she's not very different.

So yeah, I do feel that Daisy is overrated. You don't have to be well known or feature prominently to be overrated, you just need to be talked up to be more than you actually are. Similarly, a character can be very underrated, even if they are well known (e.g. Sonic), if people are phasing out certain traits about them. In fact, Rosalina arguably fits that bill - a lot of people seem to think she was "just some random NPC that stood around in Mario Galaxy", ignoring her storybook, ignoring her powerful abilities, ignoring how she completely obliterated Bowser's fleet all by herself, etc, and a lot of people would put Daisy before Rosalina in "Smash priority" too, simply because Daisy has existed longer and would even say that Rosalina was likely to be nothing more than a Peach clone in Smash, while Daisy would have a unique moveset. Even though Daisy has done nothing to differentiate herself from Peach, while Rosalina has done a ton to distinguish herself.
Well , actually im totally against Daisy being really understimated ; And i must say that at least she has the upperhand when it comes to an unique desing or voice , since while its true that she started being a tan version of Peach she actually became pretty much her own character through the years ; Rosalina on the other hand is being destroyed since they don't care anymore how she sounds or how she behaves , making her sound really generic and normal in the last two games she appeared did not help her either . As much a i like her , the truth is she is not what she used to be and Nintendo tries to hard to make her something that she wasn't in the past . Daisy on the other hand WAS really just a copy and now while she is still a filler character , she is also 100% unique compared to what they are trying to do with Rosalina now. I may be hated for saying this but the first time i played both SM3DWorld and MK8 i thought that Peach was secretly disgised as Rosalina , because she sounds super high pitched and girly ... it took me a while to get used to it , but i still think she sounds soooooo out of character , and that really makes her normal , not outstanding like she was. Anyway , i don't really think too much about neither of them since my favorite character is PEACH , since Mario Party 1 days ... so yeah , she still can't be topped no matter how stereotypical she is , she is never gonna be destroyed or changed in a bad way since there's no game without her.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well , actually im totally against Daisy being really understimated ; And i must say that at least she has the upperhand when it comes to an unique desing or voice , since while its true that she started being a tan version of Peach she actually became pretty much her own character through the years ; Rosalina on the other hand is being destroyed since they don't care anymore how she sounds or how she behaves , making her sound really generic and normal in the last two games she appeared did not help her either . As much a i like her , the truth is she is not what she used to be and Nintendo tries to hard to make her something that she wasn't in the past . Daisy on the other hand WAS really just a copy and now while she is still a filler character , she is also 100% unique compared to what they are trying to do with Rosalina now. I may be hated for saying this but the first time i played both SM3DWorld and MK8 i thought that Peach was secretly disgised as Rosalina , because she sounds super high pitched and girly ... it took me a while to get used to it , but i still think she sounds soooooo out of character , and that really makes her normal , not outstanding like she was. Anyway , i don't really think too much about neither of them since my favorite character is PEACH , since Mario Party 1 days ... so yeah , she still can't be topped no matter how stereotypical she is , she is never gonna be destroyed or changed in a bad way since there's no game without her.

Rosalina doesn't sound too high pitched or girly. She screams and yelps a little in MK8 and 3D World because she's doing much more exciting things than she normally gets to do. She doesn't have to stay monotone when she's jumping off a freakin' waterfall with a big adorable water dinosaur...thing, or driving around on an awesome quad bike, against gravity, at an electronic dance party. This is part of her "agency" that I talked about. Rosalina is, in general, very serious, monotone, reserved, and gives off a lonely feeling (specifically her eyes) despite the near constant company of her Luma children. However, she has things that CAN make her scream and yelp with glee, and make her smile and laugh. Just like how she has things that make her quiet, or assert her authority, or things that can make her feel down, or even cry with sorrow. The various games she's been in have established a wide array of clear beliefs, likes, dislikes, etc, that Rosalina has. This makes her feel much more real, and human (while still retaining those fantastical elements to her, such as her immortality and god-tier status in the Mario universe). You're basically saying that Rosalina SHOULD be a one dimensional character. But one dimensional characters are a bad thing the vast majority of the time.

Daisy does not have these qualities at all. She is one dimensional. And Peach mostly is too (and it doesn't help her case that the one game she was the sole star of made her goal to chase after a vibrator - no, I'm not kidding, the Vibe Scepter is literally a vibrator. That's not me being dirty minded. It's very clear cut and dry that thing is a pleasure toy, or a metaphor for one at least). I will give Peach that she is entertaining in the RPGs (not a deep or inspiring character, just funny and sometimes a bad***).

And design-wise, Daisy and Peach share way more similarities than Rosalina does to either of them, even after Daisy's redesign - she still has a very similar build, she still has a near identical set of clothes and accessories to Peach, she has similarly petite "assets" to Peach (compared to Rosalina's more matured "assets"), she is still symmetrical in design like Peach is, she is still "cute girl" in terms of the mood her overall design gives off - as the AV Club put it "Peach and Daisy are girls. Rosalina is a woman".

Pretty sure it's just the Luma Shot taken at a specific angle.
The red glow in that screenshot is a different colour to the one in Luma Shot, and Rosalina is performing Gravitational Pull. Rosalina cannot perform Luma Shot and Gravitational Pull at the same time.

------------

I think I ship this. :3

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Rosalina doesn't sound too high pitched or girly. She screams and yelps a little in MK8 and 3D World because she's doing much more exciting things than she normally gets to do. She doesn't have to stay monotone when she's jumping off a freakin' waterfall with a big adorable water dinosaur...thing, or driving around on an awesome quad bike, against gravity, at an electronic dance party. This is part of her "agency" that I talked about. Rosalina is, in general, very serious, monotone, reserved, and gives off a lonely feeling (specifically her eyes) despite the near constant company of her Luma children. However, she has things that CAN make her scream and yelp with glee, and make her smile and laugh. Just like how she has things that make her quiet, or assert her authority, or things that can make her feel down, or even cry with sorrow. The various games she's been in have established a wide array of clear beliefs, likes, dislikes, etc, that Rosalina has. This makes her feel much more real, and human (while still retaining those fantastical elements to her, such as her immortality and god-tier status in the Mario universe). You're basically saying that Rosalina SHOULD be a one dimensional character. But one dimensional characters are a bad thing the vast majority of the time.

Daisy does not have these qualities at all. She is one dimensional. And Peach mostly is too (and it doesn't help her case that the one game she was the sole star of made her goal to chase after a vibrator - no, I'm not kidding, the Vibe Scepter is literally a vibrator. That's not me being dirty minded. It's very clear cut and dry that thing is a pleasure toy, or a metaphor for one at least). I will give Peach that she is entertaining in the RPGs (not a deep or inspiring character, just funny and sometimes a bad***).

And design-wise, Daisy and Peach share way more similarities than Rosalina does to either of them, even after Daisy's redesign - she still has a very similar build, she still has a near identical set of clothes and accessories to Peach, she has similarly petite "assets" to Peach (compared to Rosalina's more matured "assets"), she is still symmetrical in design like Peach is, she is still "cute girl" in terms of the mood her overall design gives off - as the AV Club put it "Peach and Daisy are girls. Rosalina is a woman".

The red glow in that screenshot is a different colour to the one in Luma Shot, and Rosalina is performing Gravitational Pull. Rosalina cannot perform Luma Shot and Gravitational Pull at the same time.

------------

I think I ship this. :3

She is not one dimensional (Rosalina) and i never wanted her to be that way , rather she is BECOMING something she isn't , where is the serious , emtional , and quiet woman now??? she stayed back in the Mario Kart Wii scene . As of today they are treating Rosalina only as a Happy-go-Lucky girl which in the Mario Universe is GENERIC. When was the last time she acted like herself? Why does she have to be super exited now , when there are already 2 girls with crowns that do this job ; She was real enough back then , proving that you don't always stay super happy and that you really don't need to Scream loud in exitement to fit the bill , people in real life are not Happy go lucky like most of the Mario characters ALL THE TIME , Rosalina helped as she was the only character that displayed human related emotions OTHER THAN saying ''YAHHOOO'' All the time something happened , there are people out there with tragic stories , deep emotions , and lots of feelings , something that Rosalina displayed , only her and no one else. Now she is becoming just part of the bunch since she doesn't display these soft mannered emotions anymore ; My complaint is not that they are trying to make her Happy , since that's not a problem , but that they are completely forgetting WHO she was and just focusing of this Super happy and girly behavior. Rosalina was portayed as a WOMAN but in MK8 she isn't , she is just a girl right there.

Gravitational23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gravitational23
She is not one dimensional (Rosalina) and i never wanted her to be that way , rather she is BECOMING something she isn't , where is the serious , emtional , and quiet woman now??? she stayed back in the Mario Kart Wii scene . As of today they are treating Rosalina only as a Happy-go-Lucky girl which in the Mario Universe is GENERIC. When was the last time she acted like herself? Why does she have to be super exited now , when there are already 2 girls with crowns that do this job ; She was real enough back then , proving that you don't always stay super happy and that you really don't need to Scream loud in exitement to fit the bill , people in real life are not Happy go lucky like most of the Mario characters ALL THE TIME , Rosalina helped as she was the only character that displayed human related emotions OTHER THAN saying ''YAHHOOO'' All the time something happened , there are people out there with tragic stories , deep emotions , and lots of feelings , something that Rosalina displayed , only her and no one else. Now she is becoming just part of the bunch since she doesn't display these soft mannered emotions anymore ; My complaint is not that they are trying to make her Happy , since that's not a problem , but that they are completely forgetting WHO she was and just focusing of this Super happy and girly behavior. Rosalina was portayed as a WOMAN but in MK8 she isn't , she is just a girl right there.
Because she cheers after doing a stunt off a wall doesn't mean she portrayed as a girl She in a race of course she going to be exticed during it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But that's factually wrong. Rosalina is still way more mellowed than everyone else, she only acts excitable when she is in a situation that warrants it, and even then, she's way less obnoxious and loud compared to everyone else. She is still very soft and mild mannered. For example, when Rosalina loses in MK8, she quietly says "Aw, not this time...", or "Oh no..." to herself, while everyone else either gets
angry, screams and shouts, or gets whiny.

In general, she displays a modest confidence in herself, and doesn't display said confidence at the expense of others. The other characters, however, get obnoxious about it.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
But that's factually wrong. Rosalina is still way more mellowed than everyone else, she only acts excitable when she is in a situation that warrants it, and even then, she's way less obnoxious and loud compared to everyone else. She is still very soft and mild mannered. For example, when Rosalina loses in MK8, she quietly says "Aw, not this time...", or "Oh no..." to herself, while everyone else either gets
angry, screams and shouts, or gets whiny.

In general, she displays a modest confidence in herself, and doesn't display said confidence at the expense of others. The other characters, however, get obnoxious about it.
Well , i can live with that. I think she became more human-like when she lost her charming echo ; she was more Godness-like with it.
Also , for some extrange reason Peach doesn't sound so high pitched in MK8 ; Heck , even when chosing her she just say ''Let's go'' softly , she also just say ''oh no'' when she loses a race. Rosalina on the other hand sounds different, and the contrast between Mario Kart wii Rosalina - MK7 Rosalina - MK8 Rosalina is sooo impresive that it almost seem that she started to become younger between each game. Comparing the ''Yeah WE win!'' with ''YES VICTORY!'' makes me think something is missing (other than Luma *giggles*)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Some new screenshots have come out, some of them being Rosalina focused. I don't have the raw screens but GameXplain put up a video of them:

Very nice. Looks like Luma is much more similar to Nana then the Pikmin

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman

FEE FYE FO FUM

LEAVE MAMA ALONE OR IMMA EAT YOO
i maybe to late but have u seen lumas face plant on the screen that might be it also look at the forgroung and backround or the pic it does not look like luma is on the battle field with rose and if luma was there he would be spining around while rose is using d- special and if its a taunt luma would be taunting to even if lumas a cosider he can still have a amusing face plant on the screen in this case he looks like evil kirby also yoshi has the up smash potential to kill at low% obviously he took that from fox

Last edited:

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
I doubt that they'd show an angry expression if that were the case. In fact, I don't think it's possible for a Luma to get Star KO'd.
theres still a slight chance out there that luma might be star ko able because luma has its own blast range when it falls of the stage gets, gets punched across the stage even when blasted upward it has a blast thingi why cant luma have a star ko

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I'm not sure if anyone would be totally interested in this, but I've been doing an animation warmup exercise every day, and today's was "a character head turn, with anticipation" and I chose Rosalina for some reason. Here's a graceful turning rosalina head:

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I honestly think that the different images of Rosalina's down B (unfortunately) has to do with her various customization options for that move.

1 of them being with the down b having a hitbox(es). I hope I'm wrong because it would be nice if her default for gravitational pull had a/some hitbox(es).

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I find it hard to compare Rosalina as she was in an NPC role to her recent playable appearances. Of course she'll show signs of being happy-go-lucky and carefree in more active games such as Super Mario 3D World and the Mario Kart series, not just because of the effects over time. Mario Party: Island Tour is a game made in 2013 and she's as modest as she ever was in Galaxy six years prior, and both games have her stand idle for most of it.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Rosalina's Final Smash is actually better than it seems...the Star explodes at the end and since it is so big, It KOs almost everyone on the stage. Also, drew this on Miiverse today. I'm pretty proud of it.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
My goodness, that Luma is terrifying. I'm guessing that Luma takes the effects of Mushrooms without Rosalina's influence. Cool.
You said it. It looks just so awesome!

Luminario

Smash Lord

Indeed it is. You know how when Peach plucks a veggie from the ground when she's giant and then when she returns to normal size the veggie stays big? It could be like that. Have we ever seen Rosi with a mushroom?

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Would you folks be interested in a Rosalina gameplay analysis thread? We could compile the info we have and discuss it there. I don't believe I've seen one here just dedicated to her gameplay.

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
Would you folks be interested in a Rosalina gameplay analysis thread? We could compile the info we have and discuss it there. I don't believe I've seen one here just dedicated to her gameplay.
there is like 2 one for her moves and her damages on each moves but that is locked now no more post just for looking at the other is for how she played in the demo but give it a shot if u want to

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not sure if anyone would be totally interested in this, but I've been doing an animation warmup exercise every day, and today's was "a character head turn, with anticipation" and I chose Rosalina for some reason. Here's a graceful turning rosalina head:

I saw that on tumblr actually, very cute!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I saw that. Looks really great, and fits Rosalina a lot more.

Though the only thing unfitting about the current jumpsuit outfit is the heart on the back. Besides that, she owns the jumpsuit outfit. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd recommend waiting until the official release of Smash 3DS before making such a thread.

Of course, even then, it's probably better if a moderator is the one who makes the thread.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Speaking of gameplay, I've been watching a couple of videos from SDCC and am particularly appreciating the disjointedness Rosalina has on her attacks - particularly Uair. Thanks to the disjointedness and the epic range I don't think I've seen anything beat it yet.

Has anyone seen the Dair spike in gameplay videos yet? I've seen the move several times but never spiking.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
In regards to the debate about Daisy: She does actually have a distinctly different personality from Peach. She's more energetic tomboy rather then happy girly-girl and she also punched out Bowser in Mario Party 3...and I say this while being a Rosalina fan (she's my fav. overall Mario series character).
The problem is that Miyamoto tends to prefer having the characters be mostly silent when playable for some reason, so the personalities don't shine through as much.
The fact remains that Daisy is described, by Official Sources, to be a Tomboy who's more rough and tumble then Peach is.
That said, I still see her as more of an Alternate Costume for Peach..but only because she has been relegated to Spin-Off Status..but I'd like to see her in regardless and am more then okay with it being as an alt.

Now for the reason I actually came on here today..I created this alt earlier today and felt like sharing it with you all, which I'd been using an incomplete version as my avatar for the past couple days which showcases my current favorite alt for Rosalina, which only shown up once during a Pic of the Day that was more about the Tuxedo for Mii.

Speaking of alts, am I the only one that thinks that that Green-Blue alt that appears in the demo (the one Bill Trinen kept using) is way too similar to her default Blue-Green outfit? It seems like it would get a little confusing if both shown up in a match.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
In regards to the debate about Daisy: She does actually have a distinctly different personality from Peach. She's more energetic tomboy rather then happy girly-girl and she also punched out Bowser in Mario Party 3...and I say this while being a Rosalina fan (she's my fav. overall Mario series character).
The problem is that Miyamoto tends to prefer having the characters be mostly silent when playable for some reason, so the personalities don't shine through as much.
The fact remains that Daisy is described, by Official Sources, to be a Tomboy who's more rough and tumble then Peach is.
That said, I still see her as more of an Alternate Costume for Peach..but only because she has been relegated to Spin-Off Status..but I'd like to see her in regardless and am more then okay with it being as an alt.

Now for the reason I actually came on here today..I created this alt earlier today and felt like sharing it with you all, which I'd been using an incomplete version as my avatar for the past couple days which showcases my current favorite alt for Rosalina, which only shown up once during a Pic of the Day that was more about the Tuxedo for Mii.

Speaking of alts, am I the only one that thinks that that Green-Blue alt that appears in the demo (the one Bill Trinen kept using) is way too similar to her default Blue-Green outfit? It seems like it would get a little confusing if both shown up in a match.
But in the end , the whole thing was not about Daisy , since she is fine as who she is .... Annoying but still HERSELF.
The problem is Rosalina , i hate that people treat her like a sexualized generic video game Girl. And i really really dislike when people think that a voice does not matter for the characters , well , turns out it does ... some people just keep defending Nintendo's bad desicion on casting a VA who is not bad but that totally sounds like a Girly girl ... that's not Rosalina , im ashamed of her current self and im worried for her future ... if only Galaxy 3 even existed....

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't mind the new voice actress all that much actually.
Laura Faye Smith may not be as 'matronly' as Mercedes Rose was, but she did a far, far better job then Kerri Kane did in Mario Kart 7, where she did legitimately sound too high pitched and, as you put it, 'girly' (sadly, Mario Golf: World Tour re-used Kerri's voice clips form Mario Kart 7).
Laura sounds just fine in Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 and seems to sound just fine in Super Smash Bros. as well.
Keep in mind that those two games are ones where Rosalina is supposed to sound energetic and happy, since thats just about how everyone sounds in those titles. I'd also add that Laura does at least play Rosalina closer to Mercedes' performance, making her 'happy' more subdued then Peach or Daisy sound (meaning less energetic.
I've also never thought Rosalina sounded particularly 'girly' in either title. Feminine, yes, but Rosalina IS feminine, so that's alright. We also haven't gotten the chance to see Laura portray Rosalina as matronly since she hasn't voiced her while interacting with the Luma just yet.

I personally think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Nothing I've seen thus far from her contradicts her as a character. She's still the same Rosalina, she's just being allowed to have a little fun, something we really didn't get to see her do in Super Mario Galaxy. You're wanting something fixed that hasn't yet been broken.

To be honest though, more then anything, I'm just glad she's being used and wasn't relegated to a one off or almost never used character like Vivian or E. Gadd...or Mario Spin-Off Hell like Daisy was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom