• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina: Relax, I'm here for you.

Since you can't use Miiverse to show your screenshots (unless you own the New Nintendo 3DS), that's pretty much the only option that you have.
Or you may have to take a risk of pulling out your 3DS' SD card, insert it to PC and take the pictures out. Then uploaded to imgur or other photo sharing websites.
Even the protector of the cosmos has to have fun sometimes.
Can't wait seeing the screenshot of the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Part of me wants to write some Rosalina fanfiction....I just want more back story and growing up among the luma stuff....and I can't find much. Kinda like how I wrote a back story to Agitha (the elite 4 member in the original pokemon) and her childhood with oak...I didn't finish it and probably won't post it anywhere...but I just ugh I fall in love with characters that have so much potential that the creators don't use and it hurts. (I rped Fantina for years if that says anything....my backstory for her got pretty...dark)

Anything people would want to see? I'm not a great writer, but I wanna write some stuff regardless.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I took some pretty well-timed screenshots today with Rosalina.

Looks like Rosalina and Yoshi are playing Soccer, with Wario being the Soccer ball.

Rosalina: I will always be here for you.
Yoshi: Thank you.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I just wanna know what her adventures protecting the cosmos are like. :T
Hm....I mean I'm sure she takes the younger luma on vacations to the various galaxies. Possibly meet various characters in those cosmos....maybe visit the various universes where the spin off mario series exist....they could make this into a childrens show....The magical star observatory (totally not a magical school bus ripoff).

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Hm....I mean I'm sure she takes the younger luma on vacations to the various galaxies. Possibly meet various characters in those cosmos....maybe visit the various universes where the spin off mario series exist....they could make this into a childrens show....The magical star observatory (totally not a magical school bus ripoff).
Someone parody that ASAP.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The real question still remains though. How did Rosalina gain her powers?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still prefer the theory that she gradually gained them from being around so many celestial beings for such a long period of time.
A good portion of the planets and galaxies may likely be the ones that Rosalina helped create; they first started out as Lumas that Rosalina raised. As such, they returned the favor by giving Rosalina some of their strength.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
A good portion of the planets and galaxies may likely be the ones that Rosalina helped create; they first started out as Lumas that Rosalina raised. As such, they returned the favor by giving Rosalina some of their strength.
Sounds like a theory I can get behind. Before she gained abilities of her own I'm sure the lumas just supplied gravity and oxygen fields around her so she could survive as they traveled.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sounds like a theory I can get behind. Before she gained abilities of her own I'm sure the lumas just supplied gravity and oxygen fields around her so she could survive as they traveled.
Pretty much. Rosalina likely lacked the ability to breathe in outer space without a Luma by her side. However, as Rosalina raised each Luma, their strength eventually gave her the ability to survive the airless vacuum of space on her own, along with giving her levitation abilities.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Pretty much. Rosalina likely lacked the ability to breathe in outer space without a Luma by her side. However, as Rosalina raised each Luma, their strength eventually gave her the ability to survive the airless vacuum of space on her own, along with giving her levitation abilities.
It makes me wonder how much her powers increase being around luma and if being around multiple would increase her power even more so....and can she shoot starbits on her own or is that just a quirk of the luma? So many questions so few answers.

I guess I could write stories based on headcanons, but I want to get some consensus before I just throw words on a page.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Kingdom Hearts style hack n' slash. :p
I don't really think that fits her personality though. I feel her having luma assist her in building civilizations and progressively raising luma to a ripe age to change into new planets and galaxies so they may supply more resources to advance her care taking of the cosmos would fit her far better than a hack and slash. And once you beat the game you can raise more luma and each color luma will create a different type of planet (maybe a few different types) and each luma you raise to become a planet would create a randomly generated dungeon to explore with your luma. I am all about the randomly generated terrain hype though....and a game about creating countless new planets and realms would fit a mechanic like that swimmingly.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm really just fine with Rosalina taking over the galaxy styled games personally. Fits her well enough, and we could even add story to it.

Maybe even add more types of Luma helper gimmicks that don't just involve having a second player, but help you solve problems and combat and stuff.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I'm really just fine with Rosalina taking over the galaxy styled games personally. Fits her well enough, and we could even add story to it.

Maybe even add more types of Luma helper gimmicks that don't just involve having a second player, but help you solve problems and combat and stuff.
That would work too, but I think they've done all they could with the galaxy style games. I think she deserves her own game with a fresh genre not just take over a platform...

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
That would work too, but I think they've done all they could with the galaxy style games. I think she deserves her own game with a fresh genre not just take over a platform...
It doesn't have to be a Galaxy clone like Galaxy 2 was.

It could just heavily borrow from him like Gravity mechanics, Lumas, the different galaxyies. In theory, you are right, they don't have to do a platformer, but the galaxy setting is really the best place for her.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually think Rosalina could do hack and slash-esque gameplay really well, with some adventure gameplay too. Hack and slash is known for being cheesy, tongue in cheek, and for the sexual exploitation of the main characters. However, Rosalina could do the opposite with her's - it would be refined, family friendly, have a serious story but with whimsical and cute parts (especially involving Lumas), and while she wouldn't be outright sexually exploited, she could have her grace and beauty shine through, similar to every other game she's in, and get my blood rushing that way (honestly, that's more effective on me than Bayonetta's way of doing things...).
This would not only be great for Rosalina, but would be fresh for the hack and slash genre.

I too really want to write Rosalina stories. Or at least be able to run a blog where I post my Rosalina headcanons, since I pretty much come up with new ones everyday.

And I do need to type up something here soon, because a friend and I discovered something really groundbreaking about Rosalina. Basically the ultimate proof of her power (and said friend isn't even a huge Rosalina fan or anything, but he did help me discover this). We looked at a certain aspect of her from a scientific perspective, and it completely amplifies the powerful perception I have on her.

Also, unrelated, but Nintendo UK announced today that there will be new 3DS themes in the Theme Shop this Friday, and the Rosalina theme is one of them! :D

Well, she didn't exactly do crazy jumps in 3d world.
excuse u

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I actually think Rosalina could do hack and slash-esque gameplay really well, with some adventure gameplay too. Hack and slash is known for being cheesy, tongue in cheek, and for the sexual exploitation of the main characters. However, Rosalina could do the opposite with her's - it would be refined, family friendly, have a serious story but with whimsical and cute parts (especially involving Lumas), and while she wouldn't be outright sexually exploited, she could have her grace and beauty shine through, similar to every other game she's in, and get my blood rushing that way (honestly, that's more effective on me than Bayonetta's way of doing things...).
This would not only be great for Rosalina, but would be fresh for the hack and slash genre.

I too really want to write Rosalina stories. Or at least be able to run a blog where I post my Rosalina headcanons, since I pretty much come up with new ones everyday.

And I do need to type up something here soon, because a friend and I discovered something really groundbreaking about Rosalina. Basically the ultimate proof of her power (and said friend isn't even a huge Rosalina fan or anything, but he did help me discover this). We looked at a certain aspect of her from a scientific perspective, and it completely amplifies the powerful perception I have on her.

Also, unrelated, but Nintendo UK announced today that there will be new 3DS themes in the Theme Shop this Friday, and the Rosalina theme is one of them! :D

excuse u

I call first reading dibs on these stories/head canons.

I've always wanted to rp rosalina, but I never felt I'd be able to give her justice....especially when rping outside of the fandom....that and, on tumblr especially there are a lot of rosalina rpers :/

I think I definitely will write some short stories though.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Well, she didn't exactly do crazy jumps in 3d world.

It could be a more puzzle based platformer rather then a adventure like platformer like Mario for example.
So, like Captain Toad basically?

Exactly. That's why I said Kingdom Hearts style. A "meaningful" hack n' slash.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
re: Rosalina hack and slash.

Dark Star Bits are propagating like a virus throughout a certain galaxy near the center of the universe. If this is allowed to continue, they will eventually coalesce into a black hole that will throw off the gravitational balance of the cosmos. Rosalina and her Lumas show up to clean the place out, but there's more to the corrupted Star Bits than meets the eye. They begin to show signs of intelligence and teamwork, forming into various golems and constructs that our heroes can fight.

Rosalina is playable; a team of 2-3 small Lumas is playable; the big Luma from SMG2 whose name I forget might be playable; a renegade Dark Star Bit construct (why would it break off from the others? ask questions about free will?) might be playable... Eventually Mario and the gang might show up, but they're side characters here.

Some of the missions would require combat, but perhaps Rosalina prefers stealth where possible? The player can try to sneak around certain areas (enemy fortresses, tunnel complexes, etc.) in order to gain useful information and sabotage the enemy before it comes to a direct confrontation.

The final villain is Dark Bowser from Bowser's Inside Story, because why not.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
re: Rosalina hack and slash.

Dark Star Bits are propagating like a virus throughout a certain galaxy near the center of the universe. If this is allowed to continue, they will eventually coalesce into a black hole that will throw off the gravitational balance of the cosmos. Rosalina and her Lumas show up to clean the place out, but there's more to the corrupted Star Bits than meets the eye. They begin to show signs of intelligence and teamwork, forming into various golems and constructs that our heroes can fight.

Rosalina is playable; a team of 2-3 small Lumas is playable; the big Luma from SMG2 whose name I forget might be playable; a renegade Dark Star Bit construct (why would it break off from the others? ask questions about free will?) might be playable... Eventually Mario and the gang might show up, but they're side characters here.

Some of the missions would require combat, but perhaps Rosalina prefers stealth where possible? The player can try to sneak around certain areas (enemy fortresses, tunnel complexes, etc.) in order to gain useful information and sabotage the enemy before it comes to a direct confrontation.

The final villain is Dark Bowser from Bowser's Inside Story, because why not.
Huh. Good.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Metal Gear Mario featuring Solid Rosalina? With a helpful-yet-weird group of mission control Lumas?

Life

Smash Hero
Metal Gear Mario featuring Solid Rosalina? With a helpful-yet-weird group of mission control Lumas?
Not super well versed in MGS, but I'd say that reversing the usual power dynamic, where the mission control answers to the ground soldier, might be interesting (if unrealistic).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did some additional level 7 CPU bouts earlier with Rosalina, and I've actually managed to 3-stock a level 7 Ganondorf without taking any damage.

I also tried facing a level 7 Bowser, and he was rather tricky to analyze. Last up was level 7 Duck Hunt, and some of that duo's tactics did catch me off-guard at times. Apparently, Duck Hunt's down special is unaffected by Gravitational Pull, so you'd have to shield the hit instead.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Not super well versed in MGS, but I'd say that reversing the usual power dynamic, where the mission control answers to the ground soldier, might be interesting (if unrealistic).
In MGS you have a group of supportive NPCs who contact you via radio and usually specialize in some relevant field of knowledge or other so Snake can get exposition at relevant times. They also...have their quirks, to put it lightly.

Although reversing the situation where they can be ordered around somewhat by the PC is intriguing.
I did some additional level 7 CPU bouts earlier with Rosalina, and I've actually managed to 3-stock a level 7 Ganondorf without taking any damage.

I also tried facing a level 7 Bowser, and he was rather tricky to analyze. Last up was level 7 Duck Hunt, and some of that duo's tactics did catch me off-guard at times. Apparently, Duck Hunt's down special is unaffected by Gravitational Pull, so you'd have to shield the hit instead.
I had wondered about Duck Hunt's down special. A quick dip into training mode shows that there's apparently no actual projectile to affect. It also seems to hit instantly. I hypothesize the move works by simply creating a line of hitboxes out to whatever range it's supposed to have.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Naw I pocketed it against my friend so it's definitely a projectile.

It is delayed, and I'm pretty sure it's invisible so are you sure you timed the grav pull correctly?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yes.

I'm ALMOST sure I did.

I could be wrong, though but i'm more than 90% sure, I used it successfully against him too.

NVM i'm confirmed crazy. just tried it and it didn't work. Swore i did it with villager the other day though.

derp.

Double edit: no wait I definitely just did. Im gonna be late for work so i'll let you figure it out but i think maybe only the short gunman's is pocketable. The tall guys didnt work and I know because i used the intangibility to avoid taking damage.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I love to jump up off ledges while using Luma Shot for a quick Luma punish while Rosalina gets distance. I also sometimes use the luma shot to go for a more high risk but high reward follow up after down throw. You'd think people would see these things coming, but its actually worked most of the time. I don't think Luma Shot is always used to its full potential.
How do you guys play Rosalina?
Most of the time I'll forget Star Bits and Gravitational Pull exist after the opponent finally approaches Rosalina (not Luma), because I'll start a match immediately with a barely charged Luma Shot and people will usually stop shielding right after they don't get hit by Luma- the perfect time for Star Bits and the only time I really use it. Someimes they'll try to go for a projecile before n approach even after that depending on the character so I'll use Gravitaional Pull, but after that, not so much.
I never really tried punishing rolls or approaches with Down Smash->Down Tilt, but after that nintendo tournament that looks awesome so I'll try it for sure.
I don't think I'll ever even try to use her infinite online. Only against CPUs.
I love using nair and fair, they move so weird... it's confusing and I love it
uair, dair, and bair are all very solid too. She doesn't have a bad aerial imo.
I never use her up tilt, I want to try using that more.
Forward Smash has so mush range.
I try to use jab as mush a possible. I dash grab a lot. When I throw I usually go for down and back throw.
I don't roll much, or spot dodge. I usually just shield b/c her shield feels a lot safer when Luma can punish both someone grabbing Rosalina and breaking her shield unlike any other character in this game. Although since she does disappear I'll probably learn to do that more, especially if Palutena continues to be my 2nd favorite
And that's mainly how I use Rosaluma so far. She has a lot of different options, so she's definitely great.

Again, how do you all use Rosalina?

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
I love to jump up off ledges while using Luma Shot for a quick Luma punish while Rosalina gets distance. I also sometimes use the luma shot to go for a more high risk but high reward follow up after down throw. You'd think people would see these things coming, but its actually worked most of the time. I don't think Luma Shot is always used to its full potential.
How do you guys play Rosalina?
Most of the time I'll forget Star Bits and Gravitational Pull exist after the opponent finally approaches Rosalina (not Luma), because I'll start a match immediately with a barely charged Luma Shot and people will usually stop shielding right after they don't get hit by Luma- the perfect time for Star Bits and the only time I really use it. Someimes they'll try to go for a projecile before n approach even after that depending on the character so I'll use Gravitaional Pull, but after that, not so much.
I never really tried punishing rolls or approaches with Down Smash->Down Tilt, but after that nintendo tournament that looks awesome so I'll try it for sure.
I don't think I'll ever even try to use her infinite online. Only against CPUs.
I love using nair and fair, they move so weird... it's confusing and I love it
uair, dair, and bair are all very solid too. She doesn't have a bad aerial imo.
I never use her up tilt, I want to try using that more.
Forward Smash has so mush range.
I try to use jab as mush a possible. I dash grab a lot. When I throw I usually go for down and back throw.
I don't roll much, or spot dodge. I usually just shield b/c her shield feels a lot safer when Luma can punish both someone grabbing Rosalina and breaking her shield unlike any other character in this game. Although since she does disappear I'll probably learn to do that more, especially if Palutena continues to be my 2nd favorite
And that's mainly how I use Rosaluma so far. She has a lot of different options, so she's definitely great.

Again, how do you all use Rosalina?
F-air all day.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Part of me wants to write some Rosalina fanfiction....I just want more back story and growing up among the luma stuff....and I can't find much. Kinda like how I wrote a back story to Agitha (the elite 4 member in the original pokemon) and her childhood with oak...I didn't finish it and probably won't post it anywhere...but I just ugh I fall in love with characters that have so much potential that the creators don't use and it hurts. (I rped Fantina for years if that says anything....my backstory for her got pretty...dark)

Anything people would want to see? I'm not a great writer, but I wanna write some stuff regardless.
I don't really think that fits her personality though. I feel her having luma assist her in building civilizations and progressively raising luma to a ripe age to change into new planets and galaxies so they may supply more resources to advance her care taking of the cosmos would fit her far better than a hack and slash. And once you beat the game you can raise more luma and each color luma will create a different type of planet (maybe a few different types) and each luma you raise to become a planet would create a randomly generated dungeon to explore with your luma. I am all about the randomly generated terrain hype though....and a game about creating countless new planets and realms would fit a mechanic like that swimmingly.
Do you what's the best part of Rosalina? She is pretty but myserious, we don't know much about her yet. That makes us imagine a sorts of theories,headcanons about her. Althought not true but they are all amusing.
Having a game of Rosalina will make me excited. However, if Nintendo will really want to go that far.Who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if they make a game for her in next E3!

excuse u

Not being too sexualized, good for children , and still appealing to some old gamers. What kind of good fantastic female character can you think of except Rosalina?
I will love to see the stories you made about Rosalina, I think it is the best that Nintendo leave this way,for now. Let us imagine and making up of her past, and how did she got her powers etc. Giving us so many theories and surprises.
Using a scientific and astronomical way to make a headcanon for Rosalina isn't that new. Makes sense, even though many people might say:Hey, it is just a game. Why are you using science for this?
Oh!!! Can't wait for the New 3DS! So want to get it next year! By the way, do you prefer 3DS or XL? @ ChikoLad ChikoLad ? I actually prefer XL if they have a red color version. I just want to theme since I can just change it directly, not wasting my time changing the outer shell.
I call first reading dibs on these stories/head canons.

I've always wanted to rp rosalina, but I never felt I'd be able to give her justice....especially when rping outside of the fandom....that and, on tumblr especially there are a lot of rosalina rpers :/

I think I definitely will write some short stories though.
We can't blame these guys for making these rpers, since we don't know know much avout Rosalina. Her mysterious past gives us a lot of room for imaginations. Looking forward to see the stories you made!

If I were you I would try to face with Lvl 9s, it could be chalkenging but it will give you motivation of being stronger with Rosalina.
To me headcanons, fic stories of Rosalina are not that bad, that's the big part of the reason why we love Rosalina. She is unknown for us to imagine.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So here's that Rosalina discovery I forgot to post about:

Just to give the short of it - Rosalina is pretty much objectively the strongest Nintendo character and one of the strongest characters I know in general (if not the most powerful). Why? Because I discovered that in Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina controls and is responsible for the real life scientific process of "conservation of mass" (or something similar, like a fictional variation of it), on a universal scale.

I knew Galaxy's ending was connected to SOMETHING real, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

The process/theory of conservation of mass is, in short, the fact that matter (as in, atoms, the particles that make up pretty much everything in the universe), is never created or destroyed. Instead, it is rearranged to form new things, even if the previous objects these atoms formed are destroyed. When objects are destroyed (this includes the death of living things), the atoms simply scatter, and at some point, will form something new. All of us are likely made up of atoms that are millions of years old. This should not be confused with "reincarnation", which is a spiritual belief. Conservation of mass is a scientific process, and has been proven to happen naturally. Humans already have control over the process, but only on a smaller scale (it's used in chemistry, for example, for mixing the atoms of different chemicals to create new materials).

So what has this got to do with Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy's ending?

Take the following dialogue from Rosalina to Mario while the universe was being reborn:

"Do you hear the baby stars? These newborns will grow up to become galaxies someday.
When stars die, they turn to stardust and scatter across the cosmos.
Eventually, that stardust reforms to create a new star... And so the cycle of life continues.

But the cycle never repeats itself in quite the same way..."

...Doesn't that sound AWFULLY familiar?

Maybe a "TEENY" bit like conservation of mass?

But hey - it's like her detractors might say - "it was only to do with the Lumas. This had nothing to do with anyone or anything else".

...Right?

Actually, no. While Rosalina does describe it in the context of Lumas in that instance, she later (right before Mario shouts out "Welcome! Welcome, New Galaxy!") goes on to say:

"Yes....All new life carries the essence of stars...even all of you...."

So everything in the universe "carries the essence of stars". And "the essence of stars", is stardust. And from Rosalina's description of what stardust is and how it functions, it's essentially atoms (I reckon they just use the term "stardust" so as to keep a sense of fantastical charm to the whole idea, as opposed to confusing younger audiences by using actual scientific terms).

As for how Rosalina is in control of all of this, well, think - why isn't she any different between the original universe in Galaxy 1, and the new one? Why isn't everything that's specifically associated with her any different (her original home, the Observatory, Mario's gang whom she now values as dear friends, etc)?

The only explanation is that she has control over all of it. Heck, Rosalina and Mario are clearly shown to be perfectly in tact during the process. And of course, Rosalina understands the whole thing really well, and seems to be speaking from experience rather than citing a legend, or a theory (it explains her age being beyond comprehension).

Plus it ties in well with her motherly role for the Lumas - she raises them specifically so they can be reborn as whatever they most want to be (which is basically how any good mother should be). She raises them, allows them to die, and allows them to be reborn as whatever it is they wish.

When Lumas transform, they are also doing their own version of conservation of mass, but you'll notice when Lumas form a new galaxy, they are always very spontaneous and not inhabitable by the average creature. They have no real structure and are just a big mess, usually representing a central idea (e.g. Sweet Sweet Galaxy representing the Lumas' child-like sweet tooth, which has always been apparent, since they eat Star Bits, which are supposed to be very sweet).

Rosalina, however, has very deliberate control. She keeps some things totally the same in her universal redistribution of atoms, and also forms new things from the old atoms.

This is an awesome detail the developers put in, and gives a realistic, yet fantastical explanation as to what exactly Rosalina does.

It's even referenced in Smash Bros, in how when you lose Luma, a new one is born seconds later. And in her trailer for Smash, they set up an animation of her creating a Luma in-game, using her down taunt.

I just thought this was really cool and wanted to share it here, since it is relevant. People like scientific connections for the things characters do, as it helps us relate to and understand their power. And I've finally figured it out in Rosalina's case.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
So here's that Rosalina discovery I forgot to post about:

Just to give the short of it - Rosalina is pretty much objectively the strongest Nintendo character and one of the strongest characters I know in general (if not the most powerful). Why? Because I discovered that in Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina controls and is responsible for the real life scientific process of "conservation of mass" (or something similar, like a fictional variation of it), on a universal scale.

I knew Galaxy's ending was connected to SOMETHING real, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

The process/theory of conservation of mass is, in short, the fact that matter (as in, atoms, the particles that make up pretty much everything in the universe), is never created or destroyed. Instead, it is rearranged to form new things, even if the previous objects these atoms formed are destroyed. When objects are destroyed (this includes the death of living things), the atoms simply scatter, and at some point, will form something new. All of us are likely made up of atoms that are millions of years old. This should not be confused with "reincarnation", which is a spiritual belief. Conservation of mass is a scientific process, and has been proven to happen naturally. Humans already have control over the process, but only on a smaller scale (it's used in chemistry, for example, for mixing the atoms of different chemicals to create new materials).

So what has this got to do with Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy's ending?

Take the following dialogue from Rosalina to Mario while the universe was being reborn:

"Do you hear the baby stars? These newborns will grow up to become galaxies someday.
When stars die, they turn to stardust and scatter across the cosmos.
Eventually, that stardust reforms to create a new star... And so the cycle of life continues.

But the cycle never repeats itself in quite the same way..."

...Doesn't that sound AWFULLY familiar?

Maybe a "TEENY" bit like conservation of mass?

But hey - it's like her detractors might say - "it was only to do with the Lumas. This had nothing to do with anyone or anything else".

...Right?

Actually, no. While Rosalina does describe it in the context of Lumas in that instance, she later (right before Mario shouts out "Welcome! Welcome, New Galaxy!") goes on to say:

"Yes....All new life carries the essence of stars...even all of you...."

So everything in the universe "carries the essence of stars". And "the essence of stars", is stardust. And from Rosalina's description of what stardust is and how it functions, it's essentially atoms (I reckon they just use the term "stardust" so as to keep a sense of fantastical charm to the whole idea, as opposed to confusing younger audiences by using actual scientific terms).

As for how Rosalina is in control of all of this, well, think - why isn't she any different between the original universe in Galaxy 1, and the new one? Why isn't everything that's specifically associated with her any different (her original home, the Observatory, Mario's gang whom she now values as dear friends, etc)?

The only explanation is that she has control over all of it. Heck, Rosalina and Mario are clearly shown to be perfectly in tact during the process. And of course, Rosalina understands the whole thing really well, and seems to be speaking from experience rather than citing a legend, or a theory (it explains her age being beyond comprehension).

Plus it ties in well with her motherly role for the Lumas - she raises them specifically so they can be reborn as whatever they most want to be (which is basically how any good mother should be). She raises them, allows them to die, and allows them to be reborn as whatever it is they wish.

When Lumas transform, they are also doing their own version of conservation of mass, but you'll notice when Lumas form a new galaxy, they are always very spontaneous and not inhabitable by the average creature. They have no real structure and are just a big mess.

Rosalina, however, has very deliberate control. She keeps some things totally the same in her universal redistribution of atoms, and also forms new things from the old atoms.

This is an awesome detail the developers put in, and gives a realistic, yet fantastical explanation as to what exactly Rosalina does.
*silently takes notes and opens up word to start a story*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom