• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
So looking at the Super Smash Bros Wiki for Rosalina, does anyone think it should be renamed to Rosalina & Luma? It think it should. I think the reluctancy to change it is probably due to doubt, uncertainty, and how society reprimands mistakes. If the official name ends up being Rosalina & Luma, then they should reconsider on how to approach these kind of situations if it were to happen next time. Plus, they are saying they should wait out till the US release to confirm it, even though that is not the general consensus.

----------
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad Is this the 3DS theme you were talking about? It looks so pretty! :D I want it now.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So looking at the Super Smash Bros Wiki for Rosalina, does anyone think it should be renamed to Rosalina & Luma? It think it should. I think the reluctancy to change it is probably due to doubt, uncertainty, and how society reprimands mistakes. If the official name ends up being Rosalina & Luma, then they should reconsider on how to approach these kind of situations if it were to happen next time. Plus, they are saying they should wait out till the US release to confirm it, even though that is not the general consensus.
One of the problems probably includes the fact that certain characters tend to have a negative impact on a URL link. Even here, the link to Rosalina's sub-forum is called "http://smashboards.com/forums/rosalina-luma.443/". The "&" symbol is nowhere to be seen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

----------
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad Is this the 3DS theme you were talking about? It looks so pretty! :D I want it now.
Yeeees, that's the one!

It looks lovely. She looks like a religious figurehead in that art work.

All bow down to Lady Rosalina.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
One of the problems probably includes the fact that certain characters tend to have a negative impact on a URL link. Even here, the link to Rosalina's sub-forum is called "http://smashboards.com/forums/rosalina-luma.443/". The "&" symbol is nowhere to be seen.
But that's still no reason the page title can't be "Rosalina & Luma." I mean, I find the whole thing a bit of a mouthful and intend to just call her "Rosalina" in general, but the wiki should probably adhere to official names where possible.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ohhhhhhh, please release in America once the New 3ds come out, I would so buy that. Maybe, just MAYBE, I might get a job.

Btw,
Wy7Wg8u.jpg

Rosalina is apparently a Starter. I'm glad because I really wanted to use her immediately...I mean after Pikachu, but still rather quickly. <3

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Have we seen if when Rosalina pummels her opponent, Luma does so as well? Similar to Ice Climbers? I'm not sure if I asked this question before, but if I have I probably forgot.
No. She kinda just clenches her fist to choke with the Force.

Ohhhhhhh, please release in America once the New 3ds come out, I would so buy that. Maybe, just MAYBE, I might get a job.

Btw,

Rosalina is apparently a Starter. I'm glad because I really wanted to use her immediately...I mean after Pikachu, but still rather quickly. <3
So, uh, where did that picture come from?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Have a motivational Rosalina everybody:

EDIT: Also I got this adorable photo while playing Mario Kart 8:

Also, I think this might be a sleepy Rosalina:

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Do you think Luma could still attack? Maybe automatically, but not manually. If Luma can still attack, which I think is possible, then Peach's already poor Final Smash will be even more ineffective.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Do you think Luma could still attack? Maybe automatically, but not manually. If Luma can still attack, which I think is possible, then Peach's already poor Final Smash will be even more ineffective.
i HIGHLY doubt they would do that to Peach , considering they bothered bringing Peach Blossom back ... it needs to be better , i just know it.

If they Threat Peach like crap once more then i'm done with Nintendo ... seriously , i can't .

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
As much as I love Rosalina, it seems like Nintendo is shifting the focus from Peach to Rosalina, which is kinda strange.
Oh! and(this is kinda off-topic) @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle and @ Shirma Akayaku Shirma Akayaku I sent you guys an FR and Follow on Miiverse!! I really need more friends haha.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina apparently caught eyes on Luigi's rear end. Of course, that does pale in comparison to whenever Rosalina interacts with her infant self.
You don't realky need to explian this actually. LOL
And ever since Baby Rosalina was announced, her look contradicts from her adult self according to the Rosalina's story book, she should be red hair when she was young, but the Baby Rosalina looks just like Rosalina directly turn into a baby. This isn't a big deal but I am really hoping to see young red hair Rosalina that is in the story book.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
#ReignofRosalina

Make it happen Nintendo.

-------------

Oh wow xD

Have a motivational Rosalina everybody:

EDIT: Also I got this adorable photo while playing Mario Kart 8:

Luma seems to be awake 247Also, that golden light around Peach....I feel as if that does major damage to enemies and makes them sleep forever when around that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You don't realky need to explian this actually. LOL
And ever since Baby Rosalina was announced, her look contradicts from her adult self according to the Rosalina's story book, she should be red hair when she was young, but the Baby Rosalina looks just like Rosalina directly turn into a baby. This isn't a big deal but I am really hoping to see young red hair Rosalina that is in the story book.
There are a good deal of questions about Rosalina that have yet to be answered, but since Baby Rosalina is a spin-off only character, she's not canon to the Super Mario series.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
There are a good deal of questions about Rosalina that have yet to be answered, but since Baby Rosalina is a spin-off only character, she's not canon to the Super Mario series.
They have to explain it in the next Super Mario Galaxy( If we will get one)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They have to explain it in the next Super Mario Galaxy( If we will get one)
At least Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and Baby Peach are canon, all thanks to the Yoshi's Island series.

But yeah, more information about Rosalina's past should really be explained. This especially includes how Rosalina got her powers; someone did make a story, regarding that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
At least Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and Baby Peach are canon, all thanks to the Yoshi's Island series.

But yeah, more information about Rosalina's past should really be explained. This especially includes how Rosalina got her powers; someone did make a story, regarding that.
I mostly want to know how or if her family died

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I mostly want to know how or if her family died
One could assume that a lot of years have passed at Rosalina's home planet, while she was out finding her Luma friend's mother. This could easily explain how Rosalina remains unchanged with each Star Festival.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
One could assume that a lot of years have passed at Rosalina's home planet, while she was out finding her Luma friend's mother. This could easily explain how Rosalina remains unchanged with each Star Festival.
Good point, but out of nowhere what if she has a brother turned evil and tried to destroy the Mushroom Kingdom and Rosalina? He could even blame her for their family's death

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Good point, but out of nowhere what if she has a brother turned evil and tried to destroy the Mushroom Kingdom and Rosalina? He could even blame her for their family's death
I wouldn't really think of that. Maybe Rosalina's brother tried to maintain their home after their parents passed away, but he eventually became very old himself, and passed away too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wouldn't really think of that. Maybe Rosalina's brother tried to maintain their home after their parents passed away, but he eventually became very old himself, and passed away too.
Well maybe a new villain(Ramon or something)? Someone who managed to steal her powers in Galaxy and gave them to Bowser (making people think he stole it instead)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well maybe a new villain(Ramon or something)? Someone who managed to steal her powers in Galaxy and gave them to Bowser (making people think he stole it instead)
What would really be interesting is if Rosalina ends up in an alternate dimension, where good and evil are flipped around. You know how the Justice League's evil counterpart is the Injustice Syndicate? Well, this dilemma is quite similar...

In this alternate dimension, Bowser is the good guy, and he's been trying to free his kingdom from a very powerful tyrant, who turns out to be Rosalina's pure evil counterpart. However, the pure evil Rosalina has been way too powerful for the good Bowser to defeat, so he has had to resort to creating a rebellion unit, who would be willing to stand up against her; the rebellion unit includes good versions of the Koopalings, Bowser Jr., Wario, and even Waluigi.

The good Rosalina would be caught in the middle of this war, and would eventually help the good Bowser put an end to the pure evil Rosalina's reign.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
As much as I love Rosalina, it seems like Nintendo is shifting the focus from Peach to Rosalina, which is kinda strange.
Oh! and(this is kinda off-topic) @ Swiftie_Muggle Swiftie_Muggle and @ Shirma Akayaku Shirma Akayaku I sent you guys an FR and Follow on Miiverse!! I really need more friends haha.
I accepted your friend request.

Rosalina's expression is so creepy...

What would really be interesting is if Rosalina ends up in an alternate dimension, where good and evil are flipped around. You know how the Justice League's evil counterpart is the Injustice Syndicate? Well, this dilemma is quite similar...

In this alternate dimension, Bowser is the good guy, and he's been trying to free his kingdom from a very powerful tyrant, who turns out to be Rosalina's pure evil counterpart. However, the pure evil Rosalina has been way too powerful for the good Bowser to defeat, so he has had to resort to creating a rebellion unit, who would be willing to stand up against her; the rebellion unit includes good versions of the Koopalings, Bowser Jr., Wario, and even Waluigi.

The good Rosalina would be caught in the middle of this war, and would eventually help the good Bowser put an end to the pure evil Rosalina's reign.
You know, what if Rosalina had another sibling? You never know. Her parents could have had another child, without her knowing. Although I doubt that scenario since it would be after Rosalina left, and I don't think most parents would have another child after losing one, even after many years.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

If Luigi is evil, I can only imagine him doing the death stare the whole time.Also, Nintendo get to work now

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I accepted your friend request.

Rosalina's expression is so creepy...

You know, what if Rosalina had another sibling? You never know. Her parents could have had another child, without her knowing. Although I doubt that scenario since it would be after Rosalina left, and I don't think most parents would have another child after losing one, even after many years.
At least they have to make a story that the kids can understand, most if you guys story are just too complicated.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I could be wrong about this, but the last time I read Rosalina's Storybook, I remember piecing together some things that reveal:

...That Rosalina's family were dead before she even met that Luma. She had deluded herself into thinking her parents were just "gone away" for a while, when she knew deep down they weren't coming back. When she had that dream where she met her mother, that's when she finally decided to face reality. Her adventures with Luma were a way to escape this reality, and convince herself that she was going to find her family, along with Luma's. However, as she says, they were "sleeping under the tree on top of the hill" the whole time.

It makes a whole lot of sense too, as a young child can't be expected to be able to accept death if they don't fully understand it. It factors into the overarching themes of the story.

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I could be wrong about this, but the last time I read Rosalina's Storybook, I remember piecing together some things that reveal:

...That Rosalina's family were dead before she even met that Luma. She had deluded herself into thinking her parents were just "gone away" for a while, when she knew deep down they weren't coming back. When she had that dream where she met her mother, that's when she finally decided to face reality. Her adventures with Luma were a way to escape this reality, and convince herself that she was going to find her family, along with Luma's. However, as she says, they were "sleeping under the tree on top of the hill" the whole time.

It makes a whole lot of sense too, as a young child can't be expected to be able to accept death if they don't fully understand it. It factors into the overarching themes of the story.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I never really thought about that. Man, this chick has some layers!! :rosalina:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

So Rosalina has been an orphan all this time? That sounds very depressing, especially if she has had to fend for herself.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

That Rosalina's family were dead before she even met that Luma. She had deluded herself into thinking her parents were just "gone away" for a while, when she knew deep down they weren't coming back. When she had that dream where she met her mother, that's when she finally decided to face reality. Her adventures with Luma were a way to escape this reality, and convince herself that she was going to find her family, along with Luma's. However, as she says, they were "sleeping under the tree on top of the hill" the whole time.

Could be true....
And can you add my 3ds FC @ ChikoLad ChikoLad ? You never response to my comment!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just went to check the story book, and indeed, I was right. Here are the parts that suggest it:

In Chapter 1:
"At nightfall, the little girl borrowed her father’s telescope and peered into the sky. She looked and looked, but she saw nothing. Hours turned into days and then years, but still the sky revealed nothing. Finally, the little girl sighed and said to Luma, “If we stay here looking much longer, I’ll be an old lady soon.” But then she had an idea. “Why don’t we go out there and find your mother ourselves?”"

This part lets us know that a long time had passed between when Rosalina first started looking for the Luma's mother using a telescope, and then finally deciding to travel through space to look for her. However, how could Rosalina, a child, just up and leave like that if her parents were present? How come we never see her ask for permission or assistance from her family?

In Chapter 4:
"When she awoke, the girl’s face was damp with tears. “You have Star Bits in your eyes!” said Luma to the girl. Wiping her face, the girl replied, “These are tears, not Star Bits. I’m crying because I’ll never see my mother ever again!” At this, Luma began to cry too. “Mama, oh, Mama… waaaah!”

The pair traveled through the starry skies, and though they encountered many other comets, not one of them held Luma’s mother. Luma was despondent. “Now, now, Luma. The rain clouds won’t go away if you keep crying,” the girl said, giving Luma a squeeze. “I’ll give you a present if you stop.” The girl closed her eyes and said gently, “I’ll take care of you.” With these words, she felt a small spark in her heart."

This part is the first definite hint that her family are dead - Rosalina claims she can't see her mother ever again. However, at this point, the story keeps things ambiguous. It swiftly dismisses her crying episode and makes it come across as somewhat of a playful scene. It's meant to fool us into thinking Rosalina is just homesick, and is quickly cheered up by Luma. This is likely meant reflective of her own attitude - she fooled herself into thinking her parents were alive.

And finally, all of Chapter 7, is very important:
After seeing their 100th comet, a sudden thought popped into the girl's head: “I wonder if my homeplanet is still as blue as it was.” That’s when she remembered her father’s telescope.

Peeking into the telescope, a tiny blue dot floated into sight. It was smaller than a Star Bit. “How strange… It’s so far away, but it feels so close.”

She twisted the knob of the telescope, and the blue dot grew until she could make out a grassy hill dotted with flowers. It seemed very familiar to her. Zooming even closer, a terrace on the hill came into view. “I used to go stargazing there when I lived on my home planet.”

She remembered rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she followed her father up that hill to look at the stars

She remembered how she and her brother would sled down that hill…

She remembered having picnics with her mother on that hill on bright and windy days… And…

"I want to go home! I want to go home right now!" The girl burst into tears, and the Lumas didn’t know what to do. “I want to go home! I want to go back to my house by the hill! I want to see my mother!” The girl was shouting now, her face wet with tears. “But I know she’s not there! I knew all along that she wasn’t out there in the sky! Because…because…”

"She’s sleeping under the tree on the hill!" The girl’s cries echoed through the stars, and a hush fell over the area.

This entire chapter is the point where we find out her family has passed away, for sure.

But notice, when Rosalina starts recalling how she spent her time with each individual family member, each thought relates specifically to "the hill".

Then, when she comes to her mother, her thoughts begin to bring up another memory, signaled by the "And...".

However, she breaks down as soon as this memory comes up in her head. Then, at the end of her crying state, she reveals:

"I want to see my mother!
But I know she’s not there! I knew all along that she wasn’t out there in the sky! Because…because…”

"She’s sleeping under the tree on the hill!"

The most important part is "I knew all along that she wasn’t out there in the sky!", because that tells us she WAS searching for her own mother as well as Luma's, and probably the rest of her family too.

What's also important is how she knew where her mother's resting place is - if the mother had died AFTER she left, she could not have known this. What's more, it took her repeated memories pertaining to the hill to get to the memory of how her mother's corpse is buried under the hill. Which shows how she truly had locked the memory of her family's demise away.

Some might say this only means the mother was dead before she left, but again - she NEVER contacted her father or brother before leaving. She never introduced them to Luma - she believed they were just gone away, as she was far too young to understand what death is. Heck, even in Chapter 7, she still can't fully comprehend it - she refers to death as "sleeping". But she definitely realises this isn't just regular sleep.

I'm actually surprised I have never seen anyone mention this anywhere. It's pretty clear, but I guess since all of the details are spread out, people don't notice - I also think the "this is a Mario game" mentality is also why nobody notices this point. This adds a whole new level of maturity and darkness to Rosalina's Story, and it's also a very realistic representation of the mentality a child might have when dealing with death before understanding it. Most people accepted it to be a sad story, but this just makes it crazy deep and really, one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in a video game. And a big part of why I love the character.

I actually would like to know what happened to her family in the first place, but I can understand why Koizumi didn't detail this - it would make the theme of death very direct. Keeping it subtle means young children won't draw too much from the story, but adults will realise the severity of the situation. It's actually masterful writing technique on his part. It's very much a hidden element to the story.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ah, yes. Rosalina's storybook. One of the biggest contributing factor to Rosalina being popular.

Rosalina having a backstory is certainly different then all the other Mario characters.

As a kid first playing the Super Mario Galaxy, I always looked forward to it...I never actually read it or even used inference to figure out whats going on, but it looked pretty. I actually didn't know that in the book, it implies that the mom died only recently.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Ah, yes. Rosalina's storybook. One of the biggest contributing factor to Rosalina being popular.

Rosalina having a backstory is certainly different then all the other Mario characters.

As a kid first playing the Super Mario Galaxy, I always looked forward to it...I never actually read it or even used inference to figure out whats going on, but it looked pretty. I actually didn't know that in the book, it implies that the mom died only recently.
Wait, kid first playing Super Mario Galaxy? But you're nearly the same age as me.
wait that game came out when I was around 10 what.
I read Rosalina's storybook after I couldn't progress in the game anymore (I still had... 21 stars left), and I loved how cute it was. I didn't actually know about the tragic subtext until very recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom