• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I want to remember Rosalina as the nice, caring, and good-tempered individual that she's supposed to be. In a way, I'm starting to see how Tino Tino feels about these personality changes.
It's not just her change in personality that keeps rubbing me the wrong way, it's the way she's being portrayed in recent games and I don't give a **** if it's only in spin-offs.

And I'm also well aware of how you always wanted to see Rosalina "smile" all the time. I mean really, she doesn't need to smile the whole god damn time to know that she's still that same calm, kind, and motherly woman we all know and love. Having her smile more often is also "out of character" and completely unnecessary. What, you think she'd just gonna go walking around and smiling the whole damn time like The Joker or something? Don't make me laugh.

No hard feelings.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
But Rosalina doesn't even smile that much.

Her idle expression is always the same plain face.

What bothers me is that they mix that emotionless face with girly and happy sounds , it just doesn't look right.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But Rosalina doesn't even smile that much.

Her idle expression is always the same plain face.

What bothers me is that they mix that emotionless face with girly and happy sounds , it just doesn't look right.
You do have to blame the animators for not animating Rosalina's expressions to match her voice clips.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
i don't think it's the ''animators'' fault to be honest.

Not hating but i just don't see this face:

Talking very high pitched at all.

It's not ok , and that's not matter of the quality of the voice , is about the fact that the acting can be good but IT DOESN'T MATCH.

That's like making a character laught when he or she has a crying face , what the hell...

It's worse when that emotionless face is very very common in Rosalina , as we can see.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Ouch, I suppose my question got burrowed under a high-tier discussion about Rosalina's looks and expression!

Oh well, I'll take part!

I adore how tall she is.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Okay, maybe not smile all the time, but you get the idea.
Not sure I do but I will say that serious look she has on her face, as seen in Smash, is the way to go.
Y'all are so picky... Rosalina's been looking flawless since her inception~
Key word you mentioned is "inception", as in who she really is. That's how flawless she is.
I adore how tall she is.
And I adore that echo she has in her voice.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
It's not being ''picky''

Why should i be happy with something that clearly DOESN'T FIT?

Sure we move on the subject , but it still sucks and it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't match .

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
When I think about ideas for what could work for a Rosalina game, I haven't thought as much about how her character should be presented. How should she be at the beginning? How will she grow throughout the story? How should she behave towards things depending on what happens or in certain points of the game? It's interesting seeing you all express such distinct opinions that it makes me curious about what exactly is ideal for Rosalina in the future. We all love Rosalina here, yet even a small group of people such as us have different tastes in things and different preferences. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure about the ideal direction Rosalina should go in. She debuted showing that she is an independent, caring, powerful, and motherly woman who watches over the cosmos and an entire race of Lumas. Despite how the development process was when creating Rosalina, Super Mario Galaxy is still a solid foundation for her character. So good that it leaves us wanting more, yet we didn't really get that in the sequel. And since she's an already established character who can't go through too many changes like Zelda for instance, who has completely different incarnations to become more malleable to the games' plots, it's understandable to see portrayals of Rosalina in spin-offs as flawed. It's not exactly a smooth character transition going into each installment, but it doesn't matter to Nintendo as it has nothing to do with any sort of timeline when making spin-offs, and character development is not exactly a priority for Nintendo when making those games either. While I'm not as bothered regarding how Rosalina's appearances are handled in some spin-off titles as some others may be, I do agree that they can do better with her.

tl;dr: If Rosalina were to get her own game (which she totally should), how would you like her portrayal to be handled?

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
It starts with Rosalina in space , with lots of Lumas.

Then Rosalina has a curse , she slowly begins to turn into Peach. The Lumas cry tears of blood , wondering why this is happening.

The goal is to prevent it happens ; If you get a bad ending , you get to play a demo Mario Kart 8 .

If you get a good ending , you get to play a demo of Mario Golf World tour.

2realistic4me.

i'm not being serious

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina—even being close to a goddess in the Mario universe—still appear very, very human, at least to me. Of course there's this whole back story that seems to point at it but it's not confirmed.

I'm no Rosalina expert, so bear with me. To me, she doesn't seem to be showing her emotions all that much, like you can't really notice if she's extremely angry or happy, she doesn't seem all that different to Link, which too, is rather 'neutral' in his expressions.

If Rosalina had her own game, I wouldn't mind the same approach for her that Link has in the Zelda games.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I like that idea right there.

I agree that she is emotionless, which I rather see in her unless she wants to show some emotion with everyone.

TriTails

Smash Lord
If Rosalina had her own game, I wouldn't mind the same approach for her that Link has in the Zelda games.
Link was supposed to be the player's 'link' into the game. His name is customizable, even. He was supposed to be the player's 'avatar'. His silence and muteness are the results of that. They wanted Link to feel like the player is in the game, therefore 'linking' them.

Albeit, Shadow the Hedgehog did it better to be honest. You can actually CHOOSE your ways around the game. Even was emphasized in the lyrics of the song 'I Am All Of Me':
Black-hearted evil
Brave-hearted hero
Do you remember me?
Capture you or set you free?

And there's 11 endings even, depends on how you play the game. The point of the game wasn't to hand over Shadow's personality to the players, but instead more on how he decides the path he treads. It was a good choice of design and I miss it dearly in more recent Sonic games.

S***. I trailed off too much.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being emotionless makes Rosalina feel like a robot. If she truly does care for the Lumas, she does need to have a caring personality, even if it means making an occasional smile.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Rosalina does smile in the main games too, like Super Mario Galaxy 2. She is NOT in anyway emotionless, she likes to keep her feelings conceals as if that's more mature to her. She may look emotionless but if Nintendo could start developing Rosalina with more dialogues, you'll see what I mean. Depending on the situation, she'll make a serious face when it comes to battle, like in Bowser Jr's trailer. She'll be joyful when the environment and everyone is having fun. She'll be angry (Do not object.) when she keeps trying to remain calm when things doesn't goes right, a horrible, terrible, awful, sickening, disturbing event. Depends on the situation, but in general, Rosalina likes to have a blank expression since she've no feelings for that, unless it's meant to make her look appealing. Here is a video proving Rosalina smiles just like everyone else, she doesn't have to smile all the times:

And on the topic of the game, if Rosalina does get her game, which will be likely I'm predicting cause of the VERY, big developing fanbase, she'd either be a silent character like Link or have cutscene and dialogue like Bayonetta. She'd have the ability to form her own launch star and attack in her very own unique way! Her plot could somehow have a soft/sad feel to it like SMG does.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Rosalina gets her own game, she'll have to have dialogue, especially if it utilizes any of the role-playing elements that are in the 3D Legend of Zelda titles. An example would include a targeting system, where Rosalina would lock onto a specific enemy, and combat it with her star wand and magic skills.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don't think that would be good. If anything, Rosalina would want to do something more heroic, such as stopping a Luma hunter from trying to utilize their powers to create a diabolical empire.
Could be both.

Just as she meets the Lumas in her quest to find her parents, the actual point of the game becomes clear when Bowser/Fawful/Kamek/Space Monster threatens them.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Link is nowhere emotionless either. Even if he's supposed to be the link to the player, Link too can make other expressions like frowning, smiling, it's just not overly exaggerated (except, perhaps in some cases, like the start of Windwaker.) And I myself could see such personality fit for Rosalina. It keeps the character somewhat of a mystery, which I personally like.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Coming from experience, I can say that people with stoic faces/mannerisms are very often misunderstood in what emotions they are having. Case in point, all throughout grade school and middle school, my teachers all thought I was depressed because my face was blank all the time.

Could be both.

Just as she meets the Lumas in her quest to find her parents, the actual point of the game becomes clear when Bowser/Fawful/Kamek/Space Monster threatens them.
The return of Tatanga? Also hypothetically in said game if it happened to be implied/stated that Peach was in fact Rosalina's parent, what would the reactions be amongst the board?

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Could be both.

She never looks for her parents. Or her parents and her lil'bro (I'd love to know how he was, he should be cute and aaaaall!) died before she went in space, or they died when she was in space, but in both cases she wants to see them only when she understands/learns her mother is dead. Before, she missed them, but stayed with the Lumas because she's their mother now.
And I don't think Bowser/Fawful/Kamek was born when she was young.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Isn't it implied that Rosalina is alive because she became the mother of the lumas tho?

Pretty much all her family should be death at this point considering Rosalina isn't a common human anymore,

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Isn't it implied that Rosalina is alive because she became the mother of the lumas tho?

Pretty much all her family should be death at this point considering Rosalina isn't a common human anymore,
Who ever said she had a common family? I don't like thinking her family was normal at start, because I think it makes her status and her powers illegitimate. Her parents could have had powers like hers too...

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
There's no source of that , in fact , it's heavily implied that is as i said considering that Rosalina as a child NEVER displayed anything related her powers.

Never floated and never had a wand , etc.

After she became the Mother of the Lumas and thus an adult , she gained her powers .

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
There's no source of that , in fact , it's heavily implied that is as i said considering that Rosalina as a child NEVER displayed anything related her powers.

Never floated and never had a wand , etc.

After she became the Mother of the Lumas and thus an adult , she gained her powers .
That's still implied and not officially said. I'll stay with my theory as I'd be really disappointed to see her illegetimity being canon (I could have arguments like breathing in space, surviving coldness of space with a simple white dress, etc.).

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
It's always possible that living alongside the Lumas enabled Rosalina to gain her powers.
And that's what I dislike because whoever lived with Lumas for some time would be as powerful as her.

Oh and by the way, I've found a Japanese let's player playing the recent Mini Mario & Friends Challenge thing this name is way too long (there). Mini Rosalina dancing is... strange, but cute.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
What if Rosalina had a game that's revolved around her past and her storybook where we play as young Rosalina sorta like the past couple Tomb Raider games where it's a younger Laura Croft?

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Or they could make a side story to 3D World , this time focusing on Rosalina , considering that she is not in the main line of the events of that game and acts just as a bonus character.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
What if Rosalina had a game that's revolved around her past and her storybook where we play as young Rosalina sorta like the past couple Tomb Raider games where it's a younger Laura Croft?
Now that's what I would love to see in a Rosalina game. Playing as both past and present Rosalina would be an amazing feature.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
So here it is the gamplay of Rosalina for the Mario vs DK game.
As expected , The Mini Rosalina Toy has cool ability , making super jumps .
Sadly , she sounds horrible and makes my ears bleed with the annoying filter they gave to these toys. Not the best Rosalina moment that's for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom