• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Their range is inconsistent with the animation, and they act quirky with certain characters.

At the very least, I'd just like a visual indicator of where her grab range is. That way, I don't get frustrated when it looks like she totally should have connected, but she doesn't, and I can practice and master it. As it is now, I still to this day cannot get her grabs in with consistency. Rosalina, Mewtwo, and Palutena are the only characters where I have this problem, and it's because they all have weird "force choke" grabs.

The problem isn't that her grab range is too small - I have grabbed people from really far away before, and I know her pivot grab range is exceptional - but it seems terribly inconsistent. I did a study on it and it definitely has inconsistencies with the animation, making it hard to practice accuracy.
Is it because of small characters like Pikachu? That might be the problem if so. I have better luck grabbing wih her along with Pikachu than Luigi.

What about the boost grab? You have any trouble with that?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is it because of small characters like Pikachu? That might be the problem if so. I have better luck grabbing wih her along with Pikachu than Luigi.

What about the boost grab? You have any trouble with that?
Sometimes it's with small characters, sometimes with bigger ones. It happens a lot to me against Shulk for some reason, I have noticed.

As for the boost grab, well, it's pretty much the same deal. It's definitely more reliable a tactic, but at the end of the day, a boost grab is still a dash grab at it's core, so if Rosalina's dash grab tends to weirdly mess up, the boost grab will to.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Sometimes it's with small characters, sometimes with bigger ones. It happens a lot to me against Shulk for some reason, I have noticed.

As for the boost grab, well, it's pretty much the same deal. It's definitely more reliable a tactic, but at the end of the day, a boost grab is still a dash grab at it's core, so if Rosalina's dash grab tends to weirdly mess up, the boost grab will to.
With Shulk and him on speed mode, his traction can throw you off if you mess up on the pivot grab and dash grab. I can say that as long as you mix up and don't let the opponent know that you're fishing for a grab, then you'll do fine.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see if they'll give me the green light to return to work later that night. Really hope they do cuz I'm getting really bored in here doing the same **** since my discharge from the hospital.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So you know how I always said that Rosalina & Luma shouldn't be played exclusively as a defensive character, and should constantly vary her playstyle, including playing aggressively at times?

Well the new shield stun formula does wonders for Rosalina & Luma's offensive game, probably way more than any other character (Sheik gets a lot out of it too though, if not as much). She now has amazing shield pressure capabilities, and can even confirm a shield break if she catches the opponent between her and Luma's jab on a ledge. Boost grabs are also even better for the duo now, and Lunar Landing is a lot better because of it too.

So basically, you guys have no excuse NOT try move a bit away from 100% defense. The meta for the entire game is gonna be more offensive now, and you'd be missing out on a lot of cool tactics for Rosalina if you don't try to be more offensive and what not at times, now.

Hopefully people will start doing this, and the Rosalina hate will simmer down a bit.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So you know how I always said that Rosalina & Luma shouldn't be played exclusively as a defensive character, and should constantly vary her playstyle, including playing aggressively at times?
I kind of forgot what kind of term you used to say, some kind of shift or something. That we have to control both Rosalina and Luma well.
Hopefully people will start doing this, and the Rosalina hate will simmer down a bit.
I'm sure it will if we try hard.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I kind of forgot what kind of term you used to say, some kind of shift or something. That we have to control both Rosalina and Luma well.

I'm sure it will if we try hard.
Paradigm shifting is the word you are looking for.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I've been a bit out of the Smash mood lately besides the occasional amiibo training, but maybe this new shield tactic will encourage me to play it more and explore what I can do. I haven't really practiced with Rosalina really at all lately because I feel like I just don't have a knowledgeable understanding about what paradigm shifting with her is really all about and how I can best utilize it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been out of the Smash mood myself. I just played a bit today because of the new update. Also I sometimes practice on 3DS when I'm not at home.

Besides online being bad/insufficient for my current level, and the lack of people to play with locally, I have been quite focused on Kingdom Hearts games, as well as Super Mario Maker, as far as playing video games goes.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I plan to take a break from playing Smash myself and focus mainly on playing other games I've yet to finish. Though with games like Yoshi's Woolly World coming out soon, I'm gonna be pretty busy.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Besides online being bad/insufficient for my current level, and the lack of people to play with locally, I have been quite focused on Kingdom Hearts games, as well as Super Mario Maker, as far as playing video games goes.
Contrary to you, the only game I play the most is Smash 3DS and Animal Crossing. I rarely play Xenoblade and Pokemon for now.
I've been out of the Smash mood myself. I just played a bit today because of the new update. Also I sometimes practice on 3DS when I'm not at home.
I haven't even update the game cuz I haven't find a good Wifi hotspot near my school and in my dorm. I seldom play 3DS outside cuz the awful environment recently. I only take my 3DS for a walk but never take it out.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Welp. Luigi board basically imploded yesterday (and today?).

Figures since patch 1.1.1 can basically be renamed to 'kill the Luigi' patch...

By the way, 300 pages already?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Well the new shield stun formula does wonders for Rosalina & Luma's offensive game, probably way more than any other character (Sheik gets a lot out of it too though, if not as much). She now has amazing shield pressure capabilities, and can even confirm a shield break if she catches the opponent between her and Luma's jab on a ledge. Boost grabs are also even better for the duo now, and Lunar Landing is a lot better because of it too.

So basically, you guys have no excuse NOT try move a bit away from 100% defense. The meta for the entire game is gonna be more offensive now, and you'd be missing out on a lot of cool tactics for Rosalina if you don't try to be more offensive and what not at times, now.

It's too bad that people will still think that Rosalina became broken with the Luma's new ability to perform tilts whenever Rosalina gets grabbed. The Luma still can't attack while Rosalina is being thrown, so you'll just have to throw Rosalina immediately instead of pummeling her; this is not too different from the Ice Climbers, where if you grab one, the other can still attack you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's too bad that people will still think that Rosalina became broken with the Luma's new ability to perform tilts whenever Rosalina gets grabbed. The Luma still can't attack while Rosalina is being thrown, so you'll just have to throw Rosalina immediately instead of pummeling her; this is not too different from the Ice Climbers, where if you grab one, the other can still attack you.
That isn't new though. Luma has always been able to perform tilts when Rosalina was grabbed.

TriTails

Smash Lord
*Shamelessly saves your avi*

In all seriousness, where did you get that pic?

Wasn't Luma always able to do that? Or is it just jab? TBH, pummeling Rosalina does little anyway. She is already enough glass.

And Rosalina definitely ain't broken.

Though, the new shieldstun mechanics may allow Rosalina and Luma to just... IDK, hammer on people's shields? You can't drop shield on the 2nd hit of Ryu's Collarbone Breaker now (And shielding the 2nd hit usually means an input Shoryu). Aerials are now mostly safer (Ryu's clean N-air is positive on shield wtf).

I don't know much how this will impact SSB, but I imagine this will be a significant change where Sheik's F-air is even dumber, shield break strings start, aerials are unpunishable on shield, etc, etc. I mean, Ryu's N-air being POSITIVE on shield? That's insane. Did they even think about it? SSB4 has more shieldstun than Melee now.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*Shamelessly saves your avi*

In all seriousness, where did you get that pic?

Wasn't Luma always able to do that? Or is it just jab? TBH, pummeling Rosalina does little anyway. She is already enough glass.

And Rosalina definitely ain't broken.

Though, the new shieldstun mechanics may allow Rosalina and Luma to just... IDK, hammer on people's shields? You can't drop shield on the 2nd hit of Ryu's Collarbone Breaker now (And shielding the 2nd hit usually means an input Shoryu). Aerials are now mostly safer (Ryu's clean N-air is positive on shield wtf).

I don't know much how this will impact SSB, but I imagine this will be a significant change where Sheik's F-air is even dumber, shield break strings start, aerials are unpunishable on shield, etc, etc. I mean, Ryu's N-air being POSITIVE on shield? That's insane. Did they even think about it? SSB4 has more shieldstun than Melee now.
Rosalina can actually confirm a shield break on the ledge now because the new shield stun mechanics make it impossible for the opponent to escape being sandwiched between Rosalina & Luma's rapids jabs while on the ledge (as you can't drop your shield, and cannot be pushed off the ledge while shielding).

Other characters, like Lucario and his charging Aura Sphere shield lock, have similar tactics, but using shield stun DI, you can still escape their shield stun ledge locks, as they don't have you covered from the side of the ledge. You can't do this if Rosalina & Luma sandwich you between their rapid jabs though, as you are being pressured from both sides - not matter what way you DI, you are going to be pushed back into the middle as the pair have you covered at both sides. On top of this, the resulting shield health draining that comes from being pressured from two rapid attacks at once, causes your shield to break so quickly you don't have the time to DI out even if it were possible (you don't have much room for error against Lucario's as it is).

Rosalina also gets a fair bit other unique uses out of this, like her Luma Assisted Boost Grab being even better now, and Lunar Landing now being really useful (more than before) for starting shield pressure or even just confirming grabs.

Basically Rosalina has only been buffed in this patch. Even the 0.3% damage nerf to her rapid jab is technically a slight buff - Rosalina has always had this issue with her rapid jab to where it would push people out of it before she could activate her finisher due to doing a little too much knockback, and then she could be unfairly punished for using and hitting with her rapid jab (kinda like how Samus has always been able to be unfairly punished for using and hitting with her first jab). But since knockback is effected by damage dealt from an attack, the nerf to the damage of the attack means the knockback has been reduced slightly too, meaning Rosalina's rapid jab doesn't push people as far - meaning it's now more reliable like it's supposed to be, and actually does more damage in hindsight, since it holds people in a little longer (personally I've always wanted her rapid jab fixed like this so I'm glad they have improved it).

People are crying that Rosalina is even more OP, because they always thought she was and now she is objectively better than she was before. The shield stun nerf has far more pros for her than cons.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
If any you of guys have Mario Kart 8 and play online or causally, then I have a question for you. Do you know a website, similar to Smash Ladder where they got better racers on them? I took a break from Smash bros 4 and decided to play a few games for a while and that includes Mario Kart 8.
I don't have a long story, so here's the short one. Online play, boring. Tournaments, boring. Worldwide, boring. Its not in a disrespectful way, but as soon as I've play online again, nothing change for me. I'm having a alittle fun, but not much, though and not a lot of good racers. Only a few.

http://fav.me/d84tlni

Today is the first day of October, so it's only fitting if I used a Halloween-themed avatar for Rosalina, and that witch hat definitely works quite well on her.
Nice avatar. She does fit well as a witch and better, too.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If any you of guys have Mario Kart 8 and play online or causally, then I have a question for you. Do you know a website, similar to Smash Ladder where they got better racers on them? I took a break from Smash bros 4 and decided to play a few games for a while and that includes Mario Kart 8.
I don't have a long story, so here's the short one. Online play, boring. Tournaments, boring. Worldwide, boring. Its not in a disrespectful way, but as soon as I've play online again, nothing change for me. I'm having a alittle fun, but not much, though and not a lot of good racers. Only a few.
I'm the same way as you. I decided to take a break from playing Smash overall to focus mainly on games I've yet to finish...and I have like 6 games I haven't finished and I just bought another one just recently.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"SOMEBODY COME QUICK"

For some reason it replaces Rosalina with him a lot which I find funny.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'm the same way as you. I decided to take a break from playing Smash overall to focus mainly on games I've yet to finish...and I have like 6 games I haven't finished and I just bought another one just recently.
Well, I'll play Smash bros later, tonight if I feel like it.
Mario Kart 8 online isn't getting any funnier for me, but I'll still play it until I'm done. As for Super Mario 3D World, I'm trying to beat Champion Road without the tanooki suit or any power up, but it's a pain for me. New Super Mario bors Wii u, I have star world to beat with both versions and the sand level is a pain, also, but worse than Champion Road.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I'll play Smash bros later, tonight if I feel like it.
Mario Kart 8 online isn't getting any funnier for me, but I'll still play it until I'm done. As for Super Mario 3D World, I'm trying to beat Champion Road without the tanooki suit or any power up, but it's a pain for me. New Super Mario bors Wii u, I have star world to beat with both versions and the sand level is a pain, also, but worse than Champion Road.
Mario Kart 8 isn't on my to do list these days mainly because I find Smash Bros. more fun and enjoyable than that. For Super Mario 3D World, I'm just about finishing up my 3rd play through and it's impossible to beat Champion Road without the Tanooki Suit especially at the start of the level. I mean there's just no way. Already beaten New Super Mario Bros. U three times and never touched it again, same goes for New Super Luigi U.

The games I got I have yet to finish are Scribblenauts: Unlimited, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (I actually got this yesterday), Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta (have not even started on Bayonetta 2 as a result), and Splatoon. Damn, that's a lotta games to finish but Smash just keeps getting in the damn way.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
http://fav.me/d84tlni

Today is the first day of October, so it's only fitting if I used a Halloween-themed avatar for Rosalina, and that witch hat definitely works quite well on her.
That pic is what you used for avatar.
The next days I'm gonna go camping... so I'll be absent for few days.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Aren't you too old to be going camping?
Uh...no? It's our English department's activity. We are actually having a festival, not really a camping as you imagine.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well you did say camping, which threw me off. What sort of festival?
I don't really know much about the detail. They kept it secret. But I'm sure I'll be going to a camping site.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Mario Kart 8 isn't on my to do list these days mainly because I find Smash Bros. more fun and enjoyable than that. For Super Mario 3D World, I'm just about finishing up my 3rd play through and it's impossible to beat Champion Road without the Tanooki Suit especially at the start of the level. I mean there's just no way. Already beaten New Super Mario Bros. U three times and never touched it again, same goes for New Super Luigi U.

The games I got I have yet to finish are Scribblenauts: Unlimited, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (I actually got this yesterday), Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta (have not even started on Bayonetta 2 as a result), and Splatoon. Damn, that's a lotta games to finish but Smash just keeps getting in the damn way.
Smash gets in the way of a lot of games I still have yet to beat as well. Here's my list excluding games I own but haven't started yet:

Doom, Bomberman 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Hybrid Heaven, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Pokémon Yellow, Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon Ruby, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon X, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Shantae, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Willy Wombat, Skies of Arcadia, Metroid Prime, Sonic and the Black Knight, Prototype 2, Mario Kart 8, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and Super Mario Maker.

22 games to "beat" is quite overwhelming, and I even eliminated some titles that I either will never ever beat or ones that don't have a real ending or story mode. So I'll probably eliminate Mario Maker for that, but I have it here for now. Lately, it's been more so the amiibo training that's been getting in the way because they keep coming out and I don't want to risk sleeping on them. Also if you didn't already know, be careful with Splatoon's online as hackers online can corrupt your save file.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash gets in the way of a lot of games I still have yet to beat as well. Here's my list excluding games I own but haven't started yet:

Doom, Bomberman 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Hybrid Heaven, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Pokémon Yellow, Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon Ruby, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon X, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Shantae, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Willy Wombat, Skies of Arcadia, Metroid Prime, Sonic and the Black Knight, Prototype 2, Mario Kart 8, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and Super Mario Maker.

22 games to "beat" is quite overwhelming, and I even eliminated some titles that I either will never ever beat or ones that don't have a real ending or story mode. So I'll probably eliminate Mario Maker for that, but I have it here for now. Lately, it's been more so the amiibo training that's been getting in the way because they keep coming out and I don't want to risk sleeping on them. Also if you didn't already know, be careful with Splatoon's online as hackers online can corrupt your save file.
I forgot that Virtual Console games like Donkey Kong 64 and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards are also on my to do list as well. ****!

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47

Well, I already beaten Champion Road with the Tanooki suit, but I do like to see if I can finish that level without the suit or any power ups. It may be a pain, but it could be fun so nothing is impossible if the others from Youtube upload the videos of them finishing it without power ups. Rosalina and Peach are easier to finish with than the men. Good luck on those games.

Ninja Gaiden 3 is something that I got to finish for the second time. I beat it on easy for the first time for gameplay(amazing), Story, and for puzzles to solve, but I want to beat it for the second time, just for the excuse to play it XD

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I plan to take a break from playing Smash myself and focus mainly on playing other games I've yet to finish. Though with games like Yoshi's Woolly World coming out soon, I'm gonna be pretty busy.
Oh my god, the game isn't released in the US?
I... don't get it. What took them so much time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom