• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Eh.

It is a kid's site.

Not as many kids know who Rosalina is compared to older fans. They'd sooner pick Peach since she appeals to less intelligent kids more.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not as many kids know who Rosalina is compared to older fans. They'd sooner pick Peach since she appeals to less intelligent kids more.
You sure about that? Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart Wii, 7 and 8, and Smash 3DS/Wii U aren't exactly esoteric games. Given the release date of Mario Galaxy in particular, I would think that kids of today's generation would be well aware of Rosalina. Maybe people like the airhead-type, like Peach, as opposed to the calm, collected motherly type that is Rosalina?

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, I had no idea who Rosalina was until Sm4sh was released... lol.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn't know who she was when I picked up Mario Kart Wii. When I heard she was from Mario Galaxy, I decided to get the game (was already gonna get it anyways) and learned a lot about who she is. The ones that surprised me the most from her is her calm personality and the fact that she has an origin story.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You sure about that? Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart Wii, 7 and 8, and Smash 3DS/Wii U aren't exactly esoteric games. Given the release date of Mario Galaxy in particular, I would think that kids of today's generation would be well aware of Rosalina. Maybe people like the airhead-type, like Peach, as opposed to the calm, collected motherly type that is Rosalina?
I'm aware that Rosalina is extremely well known.

However, she's only extremely well known BY NAME and IMAGE.

Of course not every kid is like this, but a lot of kids really do just play games for the fun gameplay. And when given the choice in characters to play as, they go for the ones that are most aesthetically appealing.

Not every kid who played Super Mario Galaxy got absolutely entranced by Rosalina. Not all of them would have found her motherly qualities appealing, or even registered them. A lot of them probably mashed the A button through cutscenes.

Peach has this very stereotypical "girly-girl" personality that has a very clear demographic with the kids. Rosalina is a grey area when it comes to kids. She seems kinda cool and mysterious, but she also is very clearly feminine, and in a more complex way than Peach, who is just straight up "TEEHEEHEE IM A GIRL". She isn't straight up for girls, but not straight up for boys.

Not all kids are simple minded like that, but even with adults, a lot of people just switch off their brains when it comes to Mario.

Then of course, in games like Mario Kart, it's harder for her unique personality to shine through, because it isn't focused on.

I mean, look at all of the people who think she is a princess. I've even seen front page articles on this very website refer to her as such. Even though it's completely incorrect.

As much as I dislike it, people get into Peach more because of seniority. A lot of people feel like they HAVE to like her, she DESERVES respect because she's like a grandma as far as gaming females go.

Rosalina isn't even 10 yet in terms of gaming life span, so people are still trying to accept her.

Honestly, she would be much better off if she wasn't a Mario character. The Mario fanbase is incredibly weird in their mindsets, a lot of it being "nostalgia purist" drivel. It leads to Rosalina being one of the most strongly misinterpreted characters I have ever seen, if not the winner of that award.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I got Galaxy when it came out so I knew Rosalina well enough. Granted, because I was still very young, I was in the phase where Rosalina had cooties. I was a big fan of Lumas though. Still am.

Funny how things work out. :p

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Honestly, she would be much better off if she wasn't a Mario character. The Mario fanbase is incredibly weird in their mindsets, a lot of it being "nostalgia purist" drivel. It leads to Rosalina being one of the most strongly misinterpreted characters I have ever seen, if not the winner of that award.
Oh boy, you should see people on DA, they get mad over the littlest or dumbest things about her or any other mario character. Heck almost all of them have dumb reasons too.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Can't remember if I thought Rosalina was a Peach rip off. Again, didn't care enough about her until I started becoming a teen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina has never resembled Peach to me, especially since I always paid attention to the finer aspects of her design.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Portions of Rosalina's hair style did resemble Peach's at spots, but at least the long hair bang makes her feel more unique.

D

Deleted member

Now that I think about it, Rosalina kind of does resemble Peach in a way. It's possible that I just confused the two back then when I played Super Mario Galaxy on my cousin's Wii.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Highly disagree with many placements, including Rosalina's (Dabuz has a very one track way of using Rosalina, he doesn't use her to her full potential, not even close. So I don't think his Rosalina should solely be used as the reference for the character as a whole. She's still in her infancy). But it's just a random tier list. Everyone is making one.

----

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

Was very lucky with this. The postman dropped it outside the door, and didn't even attempt to check if anyone was home. If it weren't for the fact I slept in this morning and caught it on my way out to college, it might have been stolen or something.

...Also, Amazon.de sent me an e-mail later saying it was lost, and that they have sent me a refund since it's out of stock, and can't replace it....so...I got a free Rosalina Amiibo?

Also yeah, she's my favourite. I got a perfect copy, and she has a lot of nice details. Looks like she is really there.
Yeah, Danbuz think it in competitive way, and it still takes some year to get a solid tier list.

Hey, I have that Rosalina SMG capsule figure too!(The bottom pic), and wow you have a lot of amiibos already! So jealous!
Tier lists usually take years to solidify. I don't think you can look at a cast of 50+ characters and say "A is better than B" so easily. Instead, it's better to look at individual match-ups. Based on what we've found, Rosalina has an advantage in a majority of match-ups, and in some match-ups, completely dominates. Does Pikachu have that advantage?

It's the general consensus that's important anyways -- the fact that Rosalina is consistently near the top is a great sign. Besides, I don't play Rosalina because she's top tier, I play her because she's fun to play as and I love her and Luma.

@ C3CC C3CC that's a good point about a potential market-study. For that reason, I voted for Rosalina (sorry Peach!)
It make take sometime. And as you see, there are updates which may slightly change the meta game. But in the long run I don't think there will be any drastic tier list change for now.
And I had never seen that poll... so I didn't vote, but I will either pick Rosalina or Peach.
Well, who wouldn't be smitten by this sexy man?

He just oooooozes sex appeal.
OH NO!!! It's Weeeeegeeee!~~~~~~~~~
Or maybe a certain person who hates Rosalina enough rigged the poll to put her in last place... Not to mention any names, of course.
In that case, that's just brutal.
I had no idea who Rosalina was until I bought Wii and play SMG2. And I started to like her after reading her storybook. Not that bad huh?
C'mon, don't be soo rude Will Smith~:(
I almost thought that Peach got a makeover when I first saw Rosalina's screenshots for Super Mario Galaxy.
And you joined Smashboards same year when Rosalina was announced? Did you believe she would be in Smash Bros when you joined Smashboards? If not, then what was your first avatar @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy ? And when did you start to like Rosalina and believed she will be in Smash bros?

I'm aware that Rosalina is extremely well known.

However, she's only extremely well known BY NAME and IMAGE.

Of course not every kid is like this, but a lot of kids really do just play games for the fun gameplay. And when given the choice in characters to play as, they go for the ones that are most aesthetically appealing.

Not every kid who played Super Mario Galaxy got absolutely entranced by Rosalina. Not all of them would have found her motherly qualities appealing, or even registered them. A lot of them probably mashed the A button through cutscenes.

Peach has this very stereotypical "girly-girl" personality that has a very clear demographic with the kids. Rosalina is a grey area when it comes to kids. She seems kinda cool and mysterious, but she also is very clearly feminine, and in a more complex way than Peach, who is just straight up "TEEHEEHEE IM A GIRL". She isn't straight up for girls, but not straight up for boys.

Not all kids are simple minded like that, but even with adults, a lot of people just switch off their brains when it comes to Mario.

Then of course, in games like Mario Kart, it's harder for her unique personality to shine through, because it isn't focused on.

I mean, look at all of the people who think she is a princess. I've even seen front page articles on this very website refer to her as such. Even though it's completely incorrect.

As much as I dislike it, people get into Peach more because of seniority. A lot of people feel like they HAVE to like her, she DESERVES respect because she's like a grandma as far as gaming females go.

Rosalina isn't even 10 yet in terms of gaming life span, so people are still trying to accept her.

Yup, I have mention that before, Rosalina can say is a female game character that is most worth to be respect with. She made Mario series appeal more gamers. And motivate Nintendo to make more new genres.
Portions of Rosalina's hair style did resemble Peach's at spots, but at least the long hair bang makes her feel more unique.
Her hair feels like Peach's middle hair bang that had grow long and slide through on the right face.

Edit: Glad to see many user in this thread now.:bee:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina stands out to me because she is literally the ONLY member of the main Mario cast to not have a symmetrical design.

That alone prevented her from ever looking like Peach to me.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was the same way the first I locked eyes on her. Thought she did looked a lot like Peach but as I looked closer, I realized then that she and Peach are nothing similar in anyway.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina stands out to me because she is literally the ONLY member of the main Mario cast to not have a symmetrical design.

That alone prevented her from ever looking like Peach to me.
And still being so mysterious~~~
I didn't know who she was when I picked up Mario Kart Wii. When I heard she was from Mario Galaxy, I decided to get the game (was already gonna get it anyways) and learned a lot about who she is. The ones that surprised me the most from her is her calm personality and the fact that she has an origin story.
I didn't know she was actually in Mario Kart until I looked up Mariowiki. I want to get her, but it needs SMG game data, but I didn't have it...
I really wonder what kind of games or any events will Nintendo do at 2017: the 10th anniversary of Rosalina.
I was the same way the first I locked eyes on her. Thought she did looked a lot like Peach but as I looked closer, I realized then that she and Peach are nothing similar in anyway.
To me, the only part I think the two is a bit silmilar is their lips.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And you joined Smashboards same year when Rosalina was announced? Did you believe she would be in Smash Bros when you joined Smashboards? If not, then what was your first avatar @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy ? And when did you start to like Rosalina and believed she will be in Smash bros?
I can't really remember that far, but my past avatars haven't always been Rosalina-related. I did input a Rosalina moveset during a moveset contest, but outside of that, after the Brawl hype came to a close, my activity at Smashboards often fluctuated until the website began to speculate Smash 4 stuff. By then, my affections for Rosalina gradually increased, thanks to Mario Kart 7.

During the Smash 4 speculation, I had hoped that Rosalina would be playable, but at the same time, I knew that her lack of mainstream appearances would hurt her chances. I was even scolded for supporting Rosalina at times. Fortunately, Rosalina's official confirmation was a blessing for me, as that really made me appreciate Rosalina a lot more.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Who knows what Nintendo will have planned for her, if any, since it's still only 2 years away.
It's getting close, 2 years isn't that long. It'll come soon.
I can't really remember that far, but my past avatars haven't always been Rosalina-related. I did input a Rosalina moveset during a moveset contest, but outside of that, after the Brawl hype came to a close, my activity at Smashboards often fluctuated until the website began to speculate Smash 4 stuff. By then, my affections for Rosalina gradually increased, thanks to Mario Kart 7.

During the Smash 4 speculation, I had hoped that Rosalina would be playable, but at the same time, I knew that her lack of mainstream appearances would hurt her chances. I was even scolded for supporting Rosalina at times. Fortunately, Rosalina's official confirmation was a blessing for me, as that really made me appreciate Rosalina a lot more.
More note, Mario Kart 7 is the first 3DS game that I bought when I got my 3DS. I like using her because she was fast, but I often still use Toad and Mario online because I can control them well.

You and me might agreed that the reason why you scolded for supporting her in Smash because at the time, nearly everyone I mean EVERYONE shouting for Waluigi and Bowser Jr, and Daisy... this is also one of the reason why I was disappointed of the roster and dislike Bowser Jr. when they leaked out. I hope Sakurai can cut him but he didn't(I did saw the news that Sakurai mention Bowser Jr did nearly got cut)... should I say myself unfortunate and the Bowser jr fans fortunate? You can say Rosalina was really one of the newcomers that no ever expected after E3, heck, not even the Gematsu leak had mentioned her. I really hope we can slap the Bowser Jr in the face. Believing a character you like, and nobody think it will come true, but when you're right, that kind of situation really feels great. Don't you think?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes.

Yes it does. :4robinm:
My brother had the same idea as you too~~~ he had played FE for years, the first FE game he played was Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War on the SNES, yes one of the most tragic FE games ever made. And when we bought GC, we were shocked that there a FE character in Smash. When I ask which FE character he hopes in Smash 4, he like Chrome, but he think adding Robin was a better choice.
And my brother could be one of the first person to recognize the new FE game in the January direct, before we saw the FE gameplay.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
More note, Mario Kart 7 is the first 3DS game that I bought when I got my 3DS. I like using her because she was fast, but I often still use Toad and Mario online because I can control them well.

You and me might agreed that the reason why you scolded for supporting her in Smash because at the time, nearly everyone I mean EVERYONE shouting for Waluigi and Bowser Jr, and Daisy... this is also one of the reason why I was disappointed of the roster and dislike Bowser Jr. when they leaked out. I hope Sakurai can cut him but he didn't(I did saw the news that Sakurai mention Bowser Jr did nearly got cut)... should I say myself unfortunate and the Bowser jr fans fortunate? You can say Rosalina was really one of the newcomers that no ever expected after E3, heck, not even the Gematsu leak had mentioned her. I really hope we can slap the Bowser Jr in the face. Believing a character you like, and nobody think it will come true, but when you're right, that kind of situation really feels great. Don't you think?
To be frank, while I did support Bowser Jr. as well, I didn't want him to be riding on his Koopa Clown Car all the time. I had hoped that Bowser Jr. would utilize his magic paintbrush, as that would reference his debut into the Super Mario series. But I guess being too lazy with the robots really took its toll on his athleticism.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The one newcomer that surprised the heck out of me and everyone and their moms was Wii Fit Trainer. Who in this forum have even thought about speculating her inclusion? At least people were speculating Duck Hunt Dog, so his inclusion isn't as "out of left field" as Nintendo's very own fitness instructor.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
You guys know about Rosalina's initial design? It turns out that Rosalina wasn't originally supposed to have a big role in Mario Galaxy (even after a bit more involvement, it was still little). Miyamoto originally wanted Rosalina to be like a Peach clone (if I can recall correctly) and you can see that in the original design. Thank goodness they redesigned her. I prefer her new look over her "Peach" esque look.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
The one newcomer that surprised the heck out of me and everyone and their moms was Wii Fit Trainer. Who in this forum have even thought about speculating her inclusion? At least people were speculating Duck Hunt Dog, so his inclusion isn't as "out of left field" as Nintendo's very own fitness instructor.
Looking back it kind of makes sense with how much they were pushing out the Wii Fit device itself. Though with the inclusions of Wii Fit Trainer it felt like they'd go with any IP now and kind of gave hope to some of the more obscure game franchises.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wonder how many speculated that the dog and duck would be paired together. Then again, that's probably silly to ask, since I did see some Brawl hacks involving those two; one for Olimar, while the other is for Wario.

Of course, the hacks made the dog bipedal, while the one in Smash 4 is typically quadrupedal.

C3CC

Smash Lord
You guys know about Rosalina's initial design? It turns out that Rosalina wasn't originally supposed to have a big role in Mario Galaxy (even after a bit more involvement, it was still little). Miyamoto originally wanted Rosalina to be like a Peach clone (if I can recall correctly) and you can see that in the original design. Thank goodness they redesigned her. I prefer her new look over her "Peach" esque look.
Dear God she was going to be so hideous. I had seen these pictures on Mariowiki a few years ago but I had forgotten about them. I'm sure that if they had gone with Rosalina's original design she wouldn't be near as popular as she is right now and would have been a one-time character. I even think it's safe to say that 70% of her popularity is because of how beautiful she is. The other 30% is because of her amazing backstory.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I am very well aware of her initial design, and I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm glad they went with her current look.
Dear God she was going to be so hideous. I had seen these pictures on Mariowiki a few years ago but I had forgotten about them. I'm sure that if they had gone with Rosalina's original design she wouldn't be near as popular as she is right now and would have been a one-time character. I even think it's safe to say that 70% of her popularity is because of how beautiful she is. The other 30% is because of her amazing backstory.
It was more 50-50 for me. I really did enjoy her backstory, which was rather bittersweet.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I already knew about her original design a few years back and I gotta say I'm super satisfied that they chose her current look over that ridiculous Peach-look-a-like design. And like @ C3CC C3CC stated, if they did go for her original design, then she would definitely end up like Daisy and thus wouldn't end up being so well know as she is now.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just knew Rosalina was coming to Smash the second they announced her for Super Mario 3D World.
Me too~~~
Yeah, and also Villager, but if you had saw the Gematsu leak (Which wasn't that well known when it was first leak out.), you won't be surprise to the character that much. I dare say Rosalina is still the most unexpected newcomer to be revealed. No leak screenshots,rumors from unknown person, only a few fans surpport. Rosalina in Smash is one of the biggest bomb to Smash community, and this could be the rrason why there are ssome people don't like her. And more emerge for criticizing her being OP. Or just personal reasons, we can just do our own thing and beware of these people, hope they don't mock us and we also don't mock them. Because she is already in Smash Bros, what can you do? You still have to respect others, don't be a cybermob.
But what is that big role? I think her role was already quite solid in SMG, but in SMG2 is the one that Miyamoto really cut her role down, was she suppose to be the one that was kidnapped? Because her concept look feels like she is easily to be kidnapped, which also means, similar to Peach.
And her final one I don't like how they draw her lips, but of course, that was just a concept artwork.
I'm same with @ Claire Diviner Claire Diviner (We sort of have same thoughts when it comes to Rosalina don't we?). If Yoshiaki didn't make that storybook, I might just regard her as Peach but more prettier.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And more emerge for criticizing her being OP. Or just personal reasons, we can just do our own thing and beware of these people, hope they don't mock us and we also don't mock them. Because she is already in Smash Bros, what can you do? You still have to respect others, don't be a cybermob.
They can consume all the sodium from a soda lake for all I care. If people are getting salty from Rosalina's inclusion, that's their problem, and is no skin off my nose.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
They can consume all the sodium from a soda lake for all I care. If people are getting salty from Rosalina's inclusion, that's their problem, and is no skin off my nose.
I know,I know. Some are just freaks. And have the guts to let us know...
Most of them just think Rosalina is too OP for the main reason. But I can't really accept other reasons. And if you did meet a user who really dosen't like Rosalina, you should still respect his opinions.And we should leave the anger of a character to our hearts, don't shout it out and made their fans felt depressed, it's just not right.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Most of them just think Rosalina is too OP for the main reason.
Ahaha! Rosalina is anything but OP. She's good in the right hands, but definitely not OP, especially with Diddy running amok, and Shiek being a pretty hard counter to Rosalina.
And if you did meet a user who really dosen't like Rosalina, you should still respect his opinions.And we should leave the anger of a character to our hearts, don't shout it out and made their fans felt depressed, it's just not right.
People can dislike Rosalina all they want, but the fact remains that she's a character in the game, whether people like it or not. As far as making fans depressed: Please, I practically relish in their salt; their hate instills nothing in the way of depression in me.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rosalina haters are so boring these days. It's always the same lame *** excuse from them it makes me wanna go to sleep.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Since you all were talking about it a moment ago..I've loved Rosalina ever since she was first revealed to me in Nintendo Power..under the name Rosetta, which seems to indicate she was renamed for some reason at a later date.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ahaha! Rosalina is anything but OP. She's good in the right hands, but definitely not OP, especially with Diddy running amok, and Shiek being a pretty hard counter to Rosalina.

People can dislike Rosalina all they want, but the fact remains that she's a character in the game, whether people like it or not. As far as making fans depressed: Please, I practically relish in their salt; their hate instills nothing in the way of depression in me.
That's what I think so too. So I don't really what are they thinking...
And gotta tell ya, I sometime like Rosalina matches but also don't like to see Rosalina match video, mostly the matches that she loses, but her lost is somewhat that really jerks my stomach everytime I see her match up video.
Rosalina haters are so boring these days. It's always the same lame *** excuse from them it makes me wanna go to sleep.
Hope you won't be like them, stay polite OK?
Since you all were talking about it a moment ago..I've loved Rosalina ever since she was first revealed to me in Nintendo Power..under the name Rosetta, which seems to indicate she was renamed for some reason at a later date.
Which year of Nintendo power? And yeah, they change it to Rosalina because it fits the western taste, in Italy they use "Rosalinda" which means Beautiful rose. In France which is a more profound name "Harmonie"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom