• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I wouldn't know personally, but a friend of mine from the US has told me that's actually really bad news.
Depends on where you live. Most retailers have stores in New Jersey, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for me to get one.

Making amiibo store exclusives is a massively boneheaded move by Nintendo.

Having the Shulk amiibo as a Gamestop exclusive makes sense, since hardly anyone apart from serious gamers know who Shulk is, but making Rosalina an exclusive? The most iconic new Nintendo character of the past decade? Do they really not want our money?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Depends on where you live. Most retailers have stores in New Jersey, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for me to get one.

Making amiibo store exclusives is a massively boneheaded move by Nintendo.

Having the Shulk amiibo as a Gamestop exclusive makes sense, since hardly anyone apart from serious gamers know who Shulk is, but making Rosalina an exclusive? The most iconic new Nintendo character of the past decade? Do they really not want our money?
Yeah, I just hate some amiibos are exclusive to some specific game store. Glad that I will buy the Japanese amiibos, so I won't have this problem.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
WiiU_screenshot_TV_01450.jpg

Its not perfect, it was the first complicated custom stage I made, but as I said, I did it.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I preordered the Rosalina amiibo today after failing to get a Captain Falcon one, without hesitation. The stores I've been to have very limited stock (like, three of each figure) and I don't want to miss out. Best of luck to everybody else.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So first, incredibly disappointed she didn't win the conquest. (Though, like I said, Little mac was tough competition). Though, she did win in japan actually.

Second, oh yay her Amiibo. I don't have money to pre-order just yet, so hopefully they will still have her in stock when christmas comes around.

I'm curious at what her amiibo will bring in future games. A rosalina outfit would be lovely. Or a luma partner.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have the Rosalina amiibo preordered at EB Games, look likes its not exclusive to target in Australia.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Or she along with most of the Mario characters won't be in it and it will just be some guy called Mario trying to stop drug wars lead by some guy called bowser who doesn't look like bowser.
I somehow doubt they would let that happen again. Nintendo and Sony are good friends and are probably paying high amounts of money for this.

Now do I expect Rosalina?...Maybe. She could very well be the wisdom character Mario encounters on his journey, but I can see her not making the cut. Then again, she is incredibly popular so it would be a missed opportunity.

Now do I expect Rosalina?...Maybe. She could very well be the wisdom character Mario encounters on his journey, but I can see her not making the cut. Then again, she is incredibly popular so it would be a missed opportunity
She's not that popular outside of the Nintendo fanbase. It really depends on the target audience of this movie. Then again, they can always try to introduce Rosalina in this movie to bolster her popularity.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yep. Rosalina & Luma Amiibo is confirmed as a Target exclusive.

http://nintendoeverything.com/rosalina-luma-amiibo-confirmed-as-target-exclusive/
http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/2p3sws/rosalina_luna_confirmed_target_exclusive/

There's one a few blocks away from me, so I'm able to get it easily. I hope others can get it too.
Okay, I will get Rosalina amiibo next year.
I somehow doubt they would let that happen again. Nintendo and Sony are good friends and are probably paying high amounts of money for this.

Now do I expect Rosalina?...Maybe. She could very well be the wisdom character Mario encounters on his journey, but I can see her not making the cut. Then again, she is incredibly popular so it would be a missed opportunity.
I haven't look at the news completely yet. Is it going to be a CG movie?( Hope so.) I can't wait for the movie if they made the graphic that is just like the Smash Bros trailer

I haven't look at the news completely yet. Is it going to be a CG movie?( Hope so.) I can't wait for the movie if they made the graphic that is just like the Smash Bros trailer
It probably is going to be a CG movie. If it's going to be live action, I'm not wasting my money on it

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It probably is going to be a CG movie. If it's going to be live action, I'm not wasting my money on it
Then it will be the movie like last time. Sonic is going to a CG movie so why not Mario?

Then it will be the movie like last time. Sonic is going to a CG movie so why not Mario?
It really depends but it's pretty obvious that they'd stick to making this movie CG. I'm more interested on how the voice actors will do now that they have actual dialogues. I'm sure Charles Martinet will be fine. Not sure about Rosalina or Peach. I'm pretty scared of hearing Toad speak sentences

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Target is cool. So's Rosalina. What a perfect fit.
Nuh-uh. From what I've heard, sending Rosalina's Amiibo there is basically sending it die.

Basically, they overcharge on lots of video game merchandise, and apparently already do so to Amiibos. It's likely the only Americans who will get their hands on the Rosalina's from Target are those who live right next door to one, her most dedicated fans, and scalpers (the majority of her sales will probably be scalpers buying her).

She's not that popular outside of the Nintendo fanbase. It really depends on the target audience of this movie. Then again, they can always try to introduce Rosalina in this movie to bolster her popularity.
She's one of the most popular Mario characters period, which is synonymous with "is popular in and out of the hardcore Nintendo fanbase". I know tons of people who barely touch Nintendo consoles, yet know full well who Rosalina is. Some of them know her better than Peach.

The reason for this is that Rosalina was introduced as an interesting character with a story to tell right off the bat, and she was introduced as an integral part of one of the most critically acclaimed (i.e. one of the most beloved) games of all time. Peach, on the other hand, was introduced as an object to be saved and has remained that way in all of the mainstream Mario games except for two.

The only reason Peach would even be well known at this point is because she's got more video game appearances than any other female character. She's shoved into almost any game that has Mario in the title in some form, even if she has no relevance in it.

That's probably why you meet people who could tell you who Rosalina is and would say they like her, but would not do the same for Peach.

Mario Kart also helps, which is the epitome of a game that is "a game you would play even if you don't really care about Nintendo". Before the Zelda DLC, Rosalina was by far the most popular character online in MK8 (and still remains quite popular from what I can tell, she seems to only be bumped down to like the second most common character now).

Her biker suit outfit also seems to appeal to a broad demographic. Not even kidding about that.

But yeah, there is absolutely no reason Rosalina would not appear in the movie if "include all of the most popular Mario characters" was a mindset behind it, especially now that 3D World, MK8, and Smash are out. Even more so when you consider the fact Nintendo EAD would have to have some say in what happens in this movie, and Rosalina basically their pet. She was popular before those (the stated reason for her being playable in 3D World was nothing more than "she's quite well known"), but those games have pretty much solidified her as being on the level of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, and Bowser in terms of importance in the Mario franchise.

Granted, I don't see any reason to really think about the movie right now, since it actually is not even in production yet. Meaning, there is absolutely no guarantee it's even happening yet. The only reason we know about this at all is because there was a huge leak of Sony's e-mails, and one of them involves someone e-mailing them about them trying to seal a deal with Nintendo for a Mario movie. And that particular e-mail dates back to October this year, so it was really recent.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It really depends but it's pretty obvious that they'd stick to making this movie CG. I'm more interested on how the voice actors will do now that they have actual dialogues. I'm sure Charles Martinet will be fine. Not sure about Rosalina or Peach. I'm pretty scared of hearing Toad speak sentences
The only thing I can hear from Toad nowadays is "SQUAAAAAAAK!"

The only thing I can hear from Toad nowadays is "SQUAAAAAAAK!"
Oh god. If this movie is really going through, I'm really interested in seeing how they'll handle Toad's voice work.
She was popular before those (the stated reason for her being playable in 3D World was nothing more than "she's quite well known"), but those games have pretty much solidified her as being on the level of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, and Bowser in terms of importance in the Mario franchise.
Not really. Those guys have been there since the beginning, and they're all iconic and at the same time important for the Mario series. Rosalina's relatively new to the Mario series although she's really getting more popular with Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 helping with that. At this point, I'd put Rosalina below all the characters you've mentioned and above everyone else (she's on par with Wario) in terms of importance to the Mario series. I'll just wait until next generation to see if she'll still be a staple to Mario games (Which I think she still will be)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh god. If this movie is really going through, I'm really interested in seeing how they'll handle Toad's voice work.

Not really. Those guys have been there since the beginning, and they're all iconic and at the same time important for the Mario series. Rosalina's relatively new to the Mario series although she's really getting more popular with Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 helping with that. At this point, I'd put Rosalina below all the characters you've mentioned and above everyone else (she's on par with Wario) in terms of importance to the Mario series. I'll just wait until next generation to see if she'll still be a staple to Mario games (Which I think she still will be)
Importance =/= Age (in real life or in game character terms, might I add).

Flickies (Sonic's equivalent to Toads) have been in the Sonic series since the beginning, and even have had their own game. But they are still nowhere near as important as more recent characters like Shadow, Rouge, Blaze, Silver, etc.

Or take Lucario - undeniably one of Pokémon's poster children. If Pikachu is the cute mascot of Pokémon, Lucario is the cool, serious one. He's fairly recent compared to literally tons of other Pokémon. But even still, he's way more important. He's had huge roles in the anime, and had a big role in X & Y too, and is always showing up in promotional material.

How important a character is for a franchise is more defined by the specific roles they have in the franchise, both from a real life marketing perspective, and in-game perspective.

Canonically, Rosalina is basically the most important Mario character in that she is basically the universe's equivalent to god, and all of the other characters would not have existed without her, and certainly would not have survived Galaxy's ending without her.

In real life, Rosalina is considered a hugely marketable character, hence why she is appearing in all of these games, and hence why her Amiibo is exclusive to a particular store (i.e. she is considered popular enough to bring income in to a specific retailer - like Lucario). Even in Japan, with the playing card pre-order bonuses for MK8, Peach wasn't even the queen card to Mario's king card - it was Rosalina.

And unlike Wario, she has appeared consistently in the MAIN series (spin-offs are irrelevant, anyone can show up in those), while Wario has only appeared in a remake of one. Rosalina also convinced many people to buy 3D World so close to launch (similar to Bayonetta being unlockable in Wonderful 101, as it was also revealed before release via Twitter, I believe). Not to mention that we even have Baby Rosalina in Mario Kart now, yet we still don't have Baby Wario or even Baby Bowser, despite the latter two actually existing pre-Mario Kart.

Of course, Wario is definitely an important Nintendo character with his own games, but he's not much more important as a Mario character than say, Link. This is in contrast to Yoshi, who remains an important and staple Mario character despite having his own franchise.

Rosalina hasn't got her own game yet, but she's much more consistently an important part of the main Mario games than even Yoshi is these days (though I still consider Yoshi more important than her to Mario right now, alongside Luigi and Mario). However, Rosalina is just as important as Peach and Bowser, and is more important than Toad (and no, Captain Toad does not make him more important, that game isn't being made because of the character, but because of the ability to re-use assets and flesh out a gameplay style people liked in 3D World - I'm saying this as someone who loves Captain Toad, too).

Not only that, but Rosalina represents a willingness to change in a franchise that is often criticised for not doing so, probably more than any other character, which I also think makes her very important.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not only that, but Rosalina represents a willingness to change in a franchise that is often criticised for not doing so, probably more than any other character, which I also think makes her very important.
I think having an actual, almost fully developed backstory
(that the developers snuck in against Miyamoto's wishes!)
has something to do with her popularity as well.

Kind of hoping she has a role in an RPG at some point
so that we can see more of her character.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My personal hope for the Mario movie would simply be to make an adaptation of Galaxy with elements of Galaxy 2 (such as Yoshi being a main character), since it's the most cinematic and story heavy mainstream Mario game, and all of it's best moments would look amazing in CGI.

What I think they actually will do though (and it's something I would still really enjoy), is make an action-adventure movie with fight scenes similar to what we saw in the Bowser. Jr trailer.

I had a longer post but I felt like I'm fine with only using one paragraph

Rosalina isn't on the level of Peach and Bowser, probably will never be. Peach and Bowser were defining characters for the Mario series along with Mario. They all remained as staples from the beginning, Peach was always the plot of every main Mario game, Bowser's the villain/rival, and Mario is obviously the protagonist. Regarding the other important characters that aren't as important as those 3, Luigi's the sidekick of Mario/player 2 of the game, Toad is the loyal minion of Peach and it's been like that since the beginning although I think he isn't as important from how it looks, it's just his iconic presence that puts him in this level. Yoshi well.... To be honest, he became really popular because his gaming debut was critically acclaimed. Rosalina could be on the same road as Yoshi but I'll give it some time.
You could always reference Super Mario Sunshine if you have to. That's the only mainstream game to have any speaking dialogue implemented.
Blurgh. Don't bring that up man. The voice acting in that game was atrocious

Last edited:
Yeah much like with the Zelda titles, the Mario titles don't really bother with the voice acting dialogue at all.
It's fine that way. I'm interested if they'll switch up Toad's voice. I can't imagine Toad speaking with his current one. Rosalina's voice actress will probably stay because her voice is fine anyway

If anyone is getting any ideas about my main, I still main Shulk

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I had a longer post but I felt like I'm fine with only using one paragraph

Rosalina isn't on the level of Peach and Bowser, probably will never be. Peach and Bowser were defining characters for the Mario series along with Mario. They all remained as staples from the beginning, Peach was always the plot of every main Mario game, Bowser's the villain/rival, and Mario is obviously the protagonist. Regarding the other important characters that aren't as important as those 3, Luigi's the sidekick of Mario/player 2 of the game, Toad is the loyal minion of Peach and it's been like that since the beginning although I think he isn't as important from how it looks, it's just his iconic presence that puts him in this level. Yoshi well.... To be honest, he became really popular because his gaming debut was critically acclaimed. Rosalina could be on the same road as Yoshi but I'll give it some time.

Blurgh. Don't bring that up man. The voice acting in that game was atrocious
I think there is one very important thing to remember. This movie is probably going to be about 90 minutes long.

Yes, those characters are iconic, but only those characters aren't exactly enough to fill a movie.

There will be some side characters to fill some roles. Granted, some might be original to the movie, but I can totally see Rosalina appear for a couple scenes.

Maybe Peach will throw a party and all the Mario characters we know and long are having a good time.

Yeah, I honestly don't expect her to get an important role unless it is as a wisdom giver, but I can still see her appearing as a Background character...Not too much better then not appearing at all but it's something. *Shrugs*

I think there is one very important thing to remember. This movie is probably going to be about 90 minutes long.

Yes, those characters are iconic, but only those characters aren't exactly enough to fill a movie.

There will be some side characters to fill some roles. Granted, some might be original to the movie, but I can totally see Rosalina appear for a couple scenes.

Maybe Peach will throw a party and all the Mario characters we know and long are having a good time.

Yeah, I honestly don't expect her to get an important role unless it is as a wisdom giver, but I can still see her appearing as a Background character...Not too much better then not appearing at all but it's something. *Shrugs*
I was just talking about importance. That's all. I'm still not sure if she's appearing but I can see it (No pun/joke/shulk joke intended). She'll probably appear. How? I don't know. What's her role? I don't know either. I just hope the movie's good

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I was just talking about importance. That's all. I'm still not sure if she's appearing but I can see it (No pun/joke/shulk joke intended). She'll probably appear. How? I don't know. What's her role? I don't know either. I just hope the movie's good
Well, they did say they had ideas for 3-4 movies. If this movie is good, and her popularity increases and increases, maybe she will appear as as an important role in one of them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina isn't on the level of Peach and Bowser, probably will never be. Peach and Bowser were defining characters for the Mario series along with Mario.
Yeah, they are defining characters with consistent roles, but in Bowser's case, he's nowhere near as marketable as Rosalina, and Peach being kidnapped every game doesn't make her important, quite the opposite actually, as it is the most replaceable role ever (and she even has had this role replaced in various games).

Bowser is as important, and is definitely more relevant to Mario himself - but he is nowhere near as marketable as Rosalina, partly because of his villain status.

Peach is historically marketable, but it has been fading with Rosalina replacing her as the poster girl of the franchise in all of it's advertising (Rosalina gets an exclusive Amiibo, Rosalina is the poster girl of MK8 and gets top billing in the Japanese pre-order bonus, Rosalina is a huge selling point of 3D World and even has her own trailer for it, Rosalina appears in more CGI Smash trailers than most of the other characters while Peach only appears in the background of Rosalina's own trailer, etc), and Rosalina has had much more important roles in the mainstream series than Peach ever has (do not try to tell me Peach being kidnapped is an important role - again, replaceable role).

Importance has absolutely nothing to do with age, and it is not constant (you could be someone's lover one day, and then a year later, you may not even talk to them anymore). Rosalina is undeniably more important than Peach and Bowser right now, and even Luigi now that the Year of Luigi is over. And even Peach has not been important in the last few years. Last time she was truly important was Super Paper Mario, and before that, Super Princess Peach.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's fine that way. I'm interested if they'll switch up Toad's voice. I can't imagine Toad speaking with his current one. Rosalina's voice actress will probably stay because her voice is fine anyway
Ironically, right now the person who voices Toad also voices Princess Peach; Samantha Kelly.

As for Rosalina, she has had three different voice actors. Both Kerri and Laura have their ups and down, and Mercedes pretty much won't be returning.

Yeah, they are defining characters with consistent roles, but in Bowser's case, he's nowhere near as marketable as Rosalina, and Peach being kidnapped every game doesn't make her important, quite the opposite actually, as it is the most replaceable role ever (and she even has had this role replaced in various games).

Bowser is as important, and is definitely more relevant to Mario himself - but he is nowhere near as marketable as Rosalina, partly because of his villain status.

Peach is historically marketable, but it has been fading with Rosalina replacing her as the poster girl of the franchise in all of it's advertising (Rosalina gets an exclusive Amiibo, Rosalina is the poster girl of MK8 and gets top billing in the Japanese pre-order bonus, Rosalina is a huge selling point of 3D World and even has her own trailer for it, Rosalina appears in more CGI Smash trailers than most of the other characters while Peach only appears in the background of Rosalina's own trailer, etc), and Rosalina has had much more important roles in the mainstream series than Peach ever has (do not try to tell me Peach being kidnapped is an important role - again, replaceable role).

Importance has absolutely nothing to do with age, and it is not constant (you could be someone's lover one day, and then a year later, you may not even talk to them anymore). Rosalina is undeniably more important than Peach and Bowser right now, and even Luigi now that the Year of Luigi is over. And even Peach has not been important in the last few years. Last time she was truly important was Super Paper Mario, and before that, Super Princess Peach.
Yeah, Rosalina is really marketable but marketability =/= importance.

Peach and Bowser mean a lot to the series. That's pretty much all I have to say. They are and will always be the most important characters along with Mario. I'll let the history do the talking but if age won't do it for you, maybe the fact that they're permanent staples to the franchise might do it.
Ironically, right now the person who voices Toad also voices Princess Peach; Samantha Kelly.

As for Rosalina, she has had three different voice actors. Both Kerri and Laura have their ups and down, and Mercedes pretty much won't be returning.
As long as they sound good, I'm fine with any of 'em

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that I know is that Rosalina has only had three mainstream appearances. Her biggest role was in Super Mario Galaxy, while she hardly had any importance in Super Mario Galaxy 2. As for Super Mario 3D World, you don't get to play as her until after you've completed the game's main story (or lack of, as the story was merely rescuing the Sprixies from Bowser's clutches, and nothing more).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All that I know is that Rosalina has only had three mainstream appearances. Her biggest role was in Super Mario Galaxy, while she hardly had any importance in Super Mario Galaxy 2. As for Super Mario 3D World, you don't get to play as her until after you've completed the game's main story (or lack of, as the story was merely rescuing the Sprixies from Bowser's clutches, and nothing more).
Her role in Galaxy 1 meant a lot more than anything Peach has ever provided (again, it really helped turn the tables on the whole "Mario never tries anything new" criticisms, while Peach was part of why those criticisms existed), in Galaxy 2 she was the narrator (which is still an important role, as it makes her the player's link to the story), and in 3D World she's basically everyone's biggest motive for wanting to beat the game (because playing as the "secret" character who has better potential than the others is always going to be a bigger motive for the player than saving the macguffins, who are just a means to an end in this case).

Then she has all of the marketability potential and general popularity on top of that, and is EAD's baby.

She's easily more important than Peach and Bowser right now, and is blatantly a staple of the franchise now.

EDIT: Anyone hoping to pre-order Rosalina from Target apparently cannot do so anymore. She's sold out on their website.

http://middleofnowheregaming.com/2014/12/13/rosalina-luma-amiibo-sold-out/

EDIT2: NO SHE'S SOLD OUT ON AMAZON UK TOO:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q6A56C0

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Either way you look at it, there will always be people out there who heavily question Rosalina's reputation, and I have seen a few Miiverse users who just don't like her altogether.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
No one knew rosalina was a secret character in 3d world in the beginning, everyone's motivation in Mario games is usually, oh wow this is fun, I wonder when it stops being fun! Whaaat, rosalina s in this game? I just unlocked her! Nintendo just keeps on bringing the fun!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Either way you look at it, there will always be people out there who heavily question Rosalina's reputation, and I have seen a few Miiverse users who just don't like her altogether.
No character is universally liked (although Mario is very well known, there actually aren't that many people who would call Mario their favourite character, and Luigi is often the preferred brother due to his personality). I don't see how that means anything though. Heck, tons of people hate Sonic too, yet he's undeniably immensely popular.

Most people who don't like Rosalina generally feel that way out of pure spite anyway, be it spoiled Daisy or Peach fans who feel there can only be one Mario girl, or something like that - or they just keep losing to her in Smash or something.

No one knew rosalina was a secret character in 3d world in the beginning, everyone's motivation in Mario games is usually, oh wow this is fun, I wonder when it stops being fun! Whaaat, rosalina s in this game? I just unlocked her! Nintendo just keeps on bringing the fun!
Many people had no intention of buying 3D World (or in my case, I was gonna wait until it was used or something) until Rosalina was revealed. I saw so many people on forums and on Tumblr suddenly saying "day one buy" when they saw Rosalina was in it. Many people also marathoned the game just so they could unlock her and continue to play it as her (especially since she is the best for no-item speedruns).

And Nintendo knew she had that power since they were the ones that decided to reveal her in a direct right before the game came out (similar to how they announced Mewtwo to encourage people to buy Smash Wii U).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom